2020-2021 Touro University (Vallejo, California) TUCOM-CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fingers crossed it continues

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Received an email yesterday notifying me of Accept-Hold status, which looks to be high-tier waitlist as well as deferred admissions to next year’s class if a spot doesn’t open up.

I’ve committed to another DO school but I’ll be looking to chat with current students about their experiences to make my decision if I do receive an acceptance...

I received an email last Thursday about their general waitlist updates. From the email, there’s no public release of ranking this year. Does anyone know when the CTE is? Are we expecting a waitlist wave?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email last Thursday about their general waitlist updates. From the email, there’s no public release of ranking this year. Does anyone know when the CTE is? Are we expecting a waitlist wave?
I think there should still be movement based off the fact there's movement happening/to be had at MD schools still. Every school will have different levels of movement, but if you look at other threads Western/TouroNV/AZCOM/ATSU-SOMA all had movement this past week. If it happened for those schools, it will probably happen for Touro because there's an overlap in applicants/matriculants at these schools. With admissions being cautious to release waitlist tiers; I have a feeling they have also been just as cautious about overaccepting/overenrolling.

Reactions: 3 users
Has there been any waitlist movement recently?

Last edited:
I'm a current cycle applicant. The entire accepted class recently received an email from the primary care faculty. To summarize, it demanded all incoming students purchase their stethoscope and medical equipment needed for doctoring classes from a specific private company, for a specific, rather high price. The email also specified that failing to purchase their equipment from that company (and sending the receipts to the primary care department to prove it) may have their 'professionalism' grade lowered in the class because the use of equipment purchased anywhere else would lead the students to be 'unprepared' and thus 'unprofessional'. It was a rather strange email especially that the same new equipment can be purchased from any number of suppliers, so clearly meant to force students to purchase the equipment from the faculty's vendor of choice and threatening non-complying students with academic sanctions Hardly a good first impression.

One would expect better judgement and professionalism from faculty who are supposed to set an example.

I'd like to get any feedback from current or former Touro students. Is this type of email representative of the faculty/program or is it more of an isolated case?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Wow
I'm a current cycle applicant. The entire accepted class recently received an email from the primary care faculty. To summarize, it demanded all incoming students purchase their stethoscope and medical equipment needed for doctoring classes from a specific private company, for a specific, rather high price. The email also specified that failing to purchase their equipment from that company (and sending the receipts to the primary care department to prove it) may have their 'professionalism' grade lowered in the class because the use of equipment purchased anywhere else would lead the students to be 'unprepared' and thus 'unprofessional'. It was a rather strange email especially that the same new equipment can be purchased from any number of suppliers, so clearly meant to force students to purchase the equipment from the faculty's vendor of choice and threatening non-complying students with academic sanctions Hardly a good first impression.

One would expect better judgement and professionalism from faculty who are supposed to set an example.

I'd like to get any feedback from current or former Touro students. Is this type of email representative of the faculty/program or is it more of an isolated case?
Hi - Touro faculty require the entire class to purchase their equipment through the same vendor for a couple reasons:
  1. It ensures that students purchase quality equipment to be used, not just in med school, but many years down the road. Alumni have told us that they use the same equipment in their practice that they use during med school.
  2. When learning how to use medical equipment, faculty will be able to demonstrate proper technique and usage in a way that is standardized. If everyone had their own equipment, each with its own different features, it would be difficult to teach an entire class.
  3. For those on financial aid, the vendor will not charge the student until their financial aid package has been given. This is important for those who otherwise would not be able to purchase it on their own. If you are on financial aid, I think you would appreciate this a lot.
Hopefully this answers your questions. If you would like to challenge this request by the primary care department, I would encourage you to bring it up with the chair of the department.

Last edited:
Hi - Touro faculty require the entire class to purchase their equipment through the same vendor for a couple reasons:
  1. It ensures that students purchase quality equipment to be used, not just in med school, but many years down the road. Alumni have told us that they use the same equipment in their practice that they use during med school.
  2. When learning how to use medical equipment, faculty will be able to demonstrate proper technique and usage in a way that is standardized. If everyone had their own equipment, each with its own different features, it would be difficult to teach an entire class.
  3. For those on financial aid, the vendor will not charge the student until their financial aid package has been given. This is important for those who otherwise would not be able to purchase it on their own. If you are on financial aid, I think you would appreciate this a lot.
Hopefully this answers your questions. If you would like to challenge this request by the primary care department, I would encourage you to bring it up with the chair of the department.
I'm not a current student, just an applicant....my friend forwarded me the email. Guess it caused some people with dual acceptances to go with their other program.

Last edited:
Do you guys know how full the class is and if you think there will be more movement in the next couple of weeks?

Hi everyone! I just got off the waitlist today and was wondering if there are any guys looking for any roommates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know how full the class is and if you think there will be more movement in the next couple of weeks?
My understanding is the class is technically full unless people drop their acceptances and a spot opens up.

I imagine there will be some more movement leading up to orientation and start (Jul 29 and first week of Aug).

Just received the July update, not much info… the wait continues….

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how they'll contact you to pull you off the waitlist? Email or phone call?

Does anyone know how they'll contact you to pull you off the waitlist? Email or phone call?
I believe email but they said they would make every effort to contact you if you don’t respond. So make sure phone/email are up-to-date

Has anyone received an accept hold where you have the guaranteed acceptance for next year? I saw that last year they were giving out accept holds and was wondering if they are still doing that this year?

Has anyone received an accept hold where you have the guaranteed acceptance for next year? I saw that last year they were giving out accept holds and was wondering if they are still doing that this year?
Accept hold candidates have already been notified.

Are there any current students I can ask questions here?