2020-2021 Touro University (Vallejo, California) TUCOM-CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email a few hours ago saying:

"Your AACOMAS primary application has been downloaded into our system and is now being reviewed by representatives of the Admissions and Standards Committee. Typically, this review process takes 10 to 14 business days, but can take longer during peak processing periods. When our review has concluded, you will receive an additional email regarding your application status."

My guess is secondaries are going to come out ~2 weeks from now!
Good luck to everyone :)

when was your aacomas verified? and do you mind posting the prompts?
My AACOMAS was verified May 18th and of course I don't mind sharing. I didn't actually log into their portal until today but here you go!

Responses to the following should be limited to 250 words or less:

Within the last seven years, do you have any academic or legal records available under a different name? If yes, please provide any additional names under which your academic records may be listed.

Are you a re-applicant who has previously interviewed? If yes, what was the result of that interview and what changes, if any, have you made which should affect a different outcome?

What is the size of your home town or area – 2,500 to 10,000, 10,000 to 50,000, 50,000 to 100,000, 100,000 to 500,000, 500,000 to 1,000,000+), or Other (please specify)?

Do you have any relative who is an Osteopathic Physician? Please list their name, relationship to you, COM attended, and year of graduation.

Please list your favorite hobbies and/or non-academic pursuits.

Within the last three years, please provide the name of previous employers, your occupation(s), and the duration(s) of your employment.

Within the last three years, have you been engaged in any volunteer experiences? Please include the type of experience, sponsor, duration, and position.

Within the last five years, what awards or recognitions (academic or other) have you received?

Why have you chosen to apply to the TUC College of Osteopathic Medicine?

Why should the Committee accept you into this year’s class?

Responses to the following should be limited to 500 words or less:

Please describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your success at becoming an outstanding Osteopathic Physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.

Please describe your exposure to and understanding of Osteopathic Medicine. Content may include your initial introduction to the profession, its history, use in medical practice today, or any other aspects that may highlight Osteopathic Medicine’s uniqueness and synergy with your envisioned future practice of medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
My AACOMAS was verified May 18th and of course I don't mind sharing. I didn't actually log into their portal until today but here you go!

Within the last seven years, do you have any academic or legal records available under a different name? If yes, please provide any additional names under which your academic records may be listed.

Are you a re-applicant who has previously interviewed? If yes, what was the result of that interview and what changes, if any, have you made which should affect a different outcome?

What is the size of your home town or area – 2,500 to 10,000, 10,000 to 50,000, 50,000 to 100,000, 100,000 to 500,000, 500,000 to 1,000,000+), or Other (please specify)?

Do you have any relative who is an Osteopathic Physician? Please list their name, relationship to you, COM attended, and year of graduation.

Within the last three years, please provide the name of previous employers, your occupation(s), and the duration(s) of your employment.

Within the last three years, have you been engaged in any volunteer experiences? Please include the type of experience, sponsor, duration, and position.

Within the last five years, what awards or recognitions (academic or other) have you received?

Please describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your success at becoming an outstanding Osteopathic Physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.

Please describe your exposure to and understanding of Osteopathic Medicine. Content may include your initial introduction to the profession, its history, use in medical practice today, or any other aspects that may highlight Osteopathic Medicine’s uniqueness and synergy with your envisioned future practice of medicine.
Thank you!!!

Does anyone know if the first few questions (with 250 W limit) are straight forward questions? Like the awards/honors or hobbies question, do we just list them? Or are we supposed to write some short, but elaborate essay on why the award/honor/hobby means a lot to us and such?

Reactions: 1 user
Also, does anyone know if the word count applies to all the questions under the corresponding heading? or is the word count is applied to each question?

For example, do we have a 500 words to answer BOTH the personal characteristics question and the exposure to osteopathic medicine question? Or 500 words for each question?

Edit: I got a response from adcom saying it's 500 words total for both essays (meaning under 250 words for each essay).

They also said we can bullet point our honors/hobbies and what not. "Be brief but to the point." Is what they said.

Hope that helps anyone that was also confused like me!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do secondaries go out in waves? Haven't gotten anything back from Touro CA yet :(

Do secondaries go out in waves? Haven't gotten anything back from Touro CA yet :(

When did you verify/was submitted to TUCOM? I submitted/was verified on 5/28 and they only now just sent me the email saying "your AACOMAS primary application has been downloaded into our system and is now being reviewed. Typically this review process takes 10-14 business days, but can take longer during peak processing periods. When our review has concluded, you will receive an additional email regarding your application status."

It's early in the cycle and there's a lot of applications that they have to process. Don't worry too much :)

When did you verify/was submitted to TUCOM? I submitted/was verified on 5/28 and they only now just sent me the email saying "your AACOMAS primary application has been downloaded into our system and is now being reviewed. Typically this review process takes 10-14 business days, but can take longer during peak processing periods. When our review has concluded, you will receive an additional email regarding your application status."

It's early in the cycle and there's a lot of applications that they have to process. Don't worry too much :)
I was verified on 6/1. Thanks I will play the waiting game

Secondary received yesterday afternoon. Verified on 5/13.

Submitted/Verified 5/28 and received a secondary yesterday (7/15).

No lie Touro may have one of THE worst secondary format I've seen this cycle between its lengthy amount of demographic information and the fact your essays are submitted using a word doc with the questions on it. Have no idea how the word count is reinforced but c'est la vie.

Reactions: 4 users
Received secondary invite today (Verified 5/22), holy **** i have never seen SO many question prompts on one application. Good luck everyone!

Do we all agree that we have a winner for the worst secondary formating? Touro CA's 2'' is just so chaotic and convoluted.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone receive a secondary below their mcat cutoff?

Secondary received about 1:30 today, I'm OOS which is probably why it took so long

Received a secondary earlier today. OOS. This thing is crazy long. Are you guys going to upload unofficial transcripts? Kinda lame that they ask for those. like go look at my primary bruh

To those who just received secondaries, can you please tell me when you were verified? I was verified 6/17. Is Touro past that?

Received a secondary earlier today. OOS. This thing is crazy long. Are you guys going to upload unofficial transcripts? Kinda lame that they ask for those. like go look at my primary bruh
When were you verified?

are we supposed to write our responses directly on to that document then save the entire thing and upload it? or should we space it out so one question is on each page? So confused

are we supposed to write our responses directly on to that document then save the entire thing and upload it? or should we space it out so one question is on each page? So confused
I doubt they're very strict on formatting. I just typed up my answers directly below their questions, saved it as a pdf, and uploaded the whole thing. It ended up being about 5-6 pages! Hope that helps

I'm confused about how to answer the question that asks about volunteer experiences. Do they mean community service or anything that was unpaid/volunteering? Also is bulletpoint format okay?

I'm confused about how to answer the question that asks about volunteer experiences. Do they mean community service or anything that was unpaid/volunteering? Also is bulletpoint format okay?
I asked and they said bullet point format is okay! Also, community service/unpaid volunteering should all work. Hope that helps :)

The secondary to this school makes me a little cautious about it. Any current/ former students in this thread? Did you feel that you received a good education, that the school supported you, and that you were well-prepared for your STEP and COMLEX exams?

Anyone still waiting on a secondary? Verified 6/17

Reactions: 1 users
Also, does anyone know if the word count applies to all the questions under the corresponding heading? or is the word count is applied to each question?

For example, do we have a 500 words to answer BOTH the personal characteristics question and the exposure to osteopathic medicine question? Or 500 words for each question?

Edit: I got a response from adcom saying it's 500 words total for both essays (meaning under 250 words for each essay).

They also said we can bullet point our honors/hobbies and what not. "Be brief but to the point." Is what they said.

Hope that helps anyone that was also confused like me!
I am confused by what you mean, what questions are you referring to? the bottom 2 essays, I thought those were supposed to be 500 words each

I am confused by what you mean, what questions are you referring to? the bottom 2 essays, I thought those were supposed to be 500 words each
Their email back to me said that the last two essays are 500 words total (so about 250 words per essay). I didn't want to bother them any more so I stopped asking further questions, but I highly recommend you double check on that :)

Congrats on your secondary and good luck!