2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

For the secondary prompt: While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

I don't have any DO shadowing experience, but I work with multiple DO physicians in my emergency department. Should I just talk about this?

Am I likely to get an interview from here anytime soon? I've heard radio silence from them since submitting my II.

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year student at COMP, can answer any questions about the school

For the secondary prompt: While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

I don't have any DO shadowing experience, but I work with multiple DO physicians in my emergency department. Should I just talk about this?
yes, talk about your experiences with the ED docs.

What do you like best and least about the school? Also, how would you say the culture among your classmates is?
Best and Worst: large class size. Best bc you can easily find your niche of friends. Worst bc you can easily get lost in the crowd and you get less attention from faculty.

The culture is pretty chill/friendly. Not many super gunner-y ppl, most ppl are down to help each other out.

Reactions: 1 user
Best and Worst: large class size. Best bc you can easily find your niche of friends. Worst bc you can easily get lost in the crowd and you get less attention from faculty.

The culture is pretty chill/friendly. Not many super gunner-y ppl, most ppl are down to help each other out.

Good to know! Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Snapshot (Altus Suite) required for admissions? Did anyone's secondary prompt say anything regarding CASPER

I dont see an option to send CASPER to this location specifically. Do we just send to the pacific-northwest option?

I dont see an option to send CASPER to this location specifically. Do we just send to the pacific-northwest option?
Yeah they said it's the same

Hey everyone! I am a ORM, 503 MCAT, and 3.9 GPA. I am planning on taking the MCAT again in August because I know it is pretty below the average. Should I just wait to submit it after I take my MCAT again? :(
Anecdotally, I know someone who got into WesternU (Pomona campus) last year with a 4.0 / 502, so a 503 isn't a deal breaker but you better have something amazing in your background and fit the school mission well. An improved MCAT will go a long way here at Western. Someone last cycle on SDN was also taken off the alternate list w/ a <500 mcat. These isolated cases, are of course, the exception. From my experiences WesternU places more emphasis on the MCAT than other DO schools. I virtually interviewed here last December with a 504/3.6 but am still on their alternate list despite feeling very positive about my interview day.

If I were you, I would submit your secondary within 10d after receipt if possible, and then note your new mcat date. Keep in mind, adcom will likely hold off on giving you an interview until your new mcat score comes in though.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, just a bit confused here since i couldve sworn that WesternU accepts Canadians. However, on their website it says, "Applications can only be accepted from individuals who are citizens of the United States or who are permanent residents in possession of a green card."
I believe that the Pomona campus one is Cad friendly. Can anyone confirm please?

I believe that the Pomona campus one is Cad friendly. Can anyone confirm please?

If you scroll down to FAQ, they say it’s for Pomona campus! I’m not sure if this is changed and they didn’t update the website?…

Is anyone still waiting for secondary? I just recently added the school. Is that why i didnt get it?

should I list my clinical experience from scribing in the physician shadowing section?

Received secondary.

I am taking the Casper test on Aug 10th. Will they not give out interviews till they receive Casper result?

What are your stats? Havent recieved a secondary yet and im wondering if its going based on stats or geography (im canadian).
Same, also Canadian. Did you add the school recently? I just added it on Tuesday

Have not received one just yet, OOS

I received a secondary today for Pomona campus! OOS

Prompts are:

-What experience observing a DO solidified your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician? (This could be a formal shadowing experience (one-on-one with a physician), scribing, observing your own physician, friend, or family member who is a DO).
-If you have not had the opportunity to shadow/observe a DO why is it important to you to become an osteopathic physician?
-If you have not had an opportunity shadow/observe a physician, please explain the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from doing so.
-What was your most memorable community service activity and how did your activity benefit the community?
-How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?
-Why do you want to attend COMP?
-What does diversity, equity, and inclusion mean to you and why are they important?
-Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, lapse in your education, etc.)

500 words each

Reactions: 1 users
Received my secondary from Pomona today! Canadian and submitted around mid-June.

Feeling a little nervous as a Canadian applicant as I've never shadowed a DO (they're not as common here I believe). I've had experiences that have drawn me to the idea of working with my hands and OMT but they involved clinical researchers rather than DOs. For my fellow Canadian applicants have you been able to find DOs to shadow? Am I going to be at a large disadvantage?

Looks like some people got it and others are waiting. They might be in the process of sending them out?

Feeling a little nervous as a Canadian applicant as I've never shadowed a DO (they're not as common here I believe). I've had experiences that have drawn me to the idea of working with my hands and OMT but they involved clinical researchers rather than DOs. For my fellow Canadian applicants have you been able to find DOs to shadow? Am I going to be at a large disadvantage?
in the same position as a Canadian, i think they would be understanding of this since it is so hard to find DOs here.

How does the COMP Mission statement align with your values?
-Why do you want to attend COMP?
Theee questions are basically the same? How are we supposed to get 500 words each ….

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
did people who got secondaries today apply to both campuses or just CA?