2020-2021 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone receive their FA package yet? I submitted my citizenship document 2 weeks ago (the only thing on to-do list) but have not heard anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if virtual second look day is being recorded?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we're supposed to receive a zoom link for second look, or is this meant to be accessed through a different link?

Can people attending the declaring in state residency and research sessions take notes? I'm going to global health, residency, and living in Columbus sessions and will take notes for sharing!

I gotchu, I'm going to those two!
I'm going to be passively listening while I'm doing lab experiments. So I don't think my notes will be very good... But if y'all would be willing to share with me i would really appreciate it!

Is the event not starting for anyone? Am I at the right place lol
Was refreshing this page for the same reason lol but yes for me too, it just says "this event hasn't started yet"
Edit: I wish they'd open whatevre that chat is at the bottom right lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember to unmute your screen! Click the screen where they're talking (volume bar at bottom right)
I tried but it's still not working. Is there a way to contact them? Kinda wish they just used Zoom. Plus the chat is disabled

I'm also on PC. They haven't mentioned anything about recording but you could email? ([email protected]). I tried calling for you but was sent straight to voicemail :'(

I'm also on PC. They haven't mentioned anything about recording but you could email? ([email protected]). I tried calling for you but was sent straight to voicemail :'(
Same issue with voicemail. Funny thing was before it started it allowed me to unmute by tapping the video. Then once it started it didn't work at all. Dang.

Same issue with voicemail. Funny thing was before it started it allowed me to unmute by tapping the video. Then once it started it didn't work at all. Dang.
I also saw an unmute button at the bottom right initially.. but not anymore. I'm on a Mac, and there's an unmute button up top but nothing happens when I click it

I was having issues adjusting the volume to unmute too but it worked after I maximized the screen. Maybe that'll work for you?

I was having issues adjusting the volume to unmute too but it worked after I maximized the screen. Maybe that'll work for you?
I feel like I've tried everything. Desktop mode, regular. Full screen. Minimized. Every screen rotation. Nothing.

I emailed asking if the recording will be released to watch later.

• Care
Anyone a bit underwhelmed by the 2nd look day so far or is it just me

Reactions: 4 users
This one was kind of disorganized and the presentation times were so short haha

Alright here are my notes from my breakout rooms:
Research:
- The MDSR summer research award through OSU lets people do research during their M1 year and summer. Everyone can apply, and those interested in doing research during M1 summer should definitely apply to this & other funding. They try to encourage research so they will do the best to award everyone who submits a good proposal. If they don't like your application, they will provide faculty feedback on your proposal and you can edit and resubmit. After these 2 steps, 90% of people get the award. (according to an M2)
- Students typically get started on research by reaching out to PIs on their own. There's a session meeting in the fall with research mentors to network. Also sessions after M1.
- 4th year advanced competency - something you can graduate with as an M4 if you check off some marks. Can use your research from MDSR or longitudinal research.
- Fundings outside of OSU... pretty much MDSR is the main funding through OSU. There are more competitive funds like the T32, also the Pelatonian Fellowship, which is this prestigious year-long funding exclusive for cancer research. $32k for the year. Also more niche lab-dependent grant opportunities. The research office is there for help.
- Honors Research Society - has criteria available online. Like AOA for research. An easy way for OSU to recognize students excelling in research. Unique for OSU.
- OSU has lots of collaboration with National Wide Children's, which counts as home research.
- OSU has $500/year per person for travel etc expenses for conferences if you have abstract accepted

Establishing in-state residency:
- Residency guidelines set by ODHE and not OSU
- 3 main components are 1. physical presence in OH 2. Paying taxes in OH 3. Eligibility to stay in US permanently
- Being a resident of Ohio is not the same thing as establishing residency in Ohio for educational purposes. You must demonstrate that you will be staying in Ohio after medical school.
- Most probably apply through C2, the financially dependent classification
- Tips about applying:
- be accurate about tax and expenses. apply asap (starting June 1 before the term, the application closes in late August)
- Must convey intent to stay in Ohio after graduating
- Employment is not required but make sure your income is taxed in Ohio. Tax your untaxed income such as from nannying and tutoring.
- Students can borrow federal loans and use that as taxable income in M1
- Common reasons to be denied:
1. Accepting funds from parents, reducing your cost of living through your parents buying you a house, etc.
2. Insufficient documentation of your expenses (e.g. give them your whole lease, not just utility). Be very transparent about expenses.
3. Leaving Ohio (applying C2 = can't leave for more than 30 days during the review period, and not 14 days consecutively)
4. Basically don't try to game the system
- What you can prepare now: have an expense/income tracking sheet. Doesn't have to be down to the dollar, but make it a good estimate of what your expenses are throughout the review period
- Can count OSU scholarships as income
- Review process doesn't ask for bank statements from everyone but would ask if you use savings
- Refer to their website for details
- Contact counselors if you have unique cases. They seem very supportive.

The presenter for my 3rd breakout room didn't show up so it was just applicants hanging out :angelic:

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Here are my notes for my breakout room session. I also took screenshots of the slides from the housing and establishing in-state residency/financial aid sessions and put them all on a google doc that I could share in the Facebook group.
  • Global Health
    • Can get a dual degree MD/MPH OR do Graduate Interdisciplinary Study Global Health - 1 required course, 3 elective courses that run concurrently with medical school curriculum, designation on diploma OR become involved in Early Career Interest Global Health Interest Groups - can learn how to intergrate Global Health with US-based career
      • PODEMOS - opportunity for global health experience between during M1-M2 summer
    • Tail end of 3rd year - Longitudinal Advanced Competency in Global Health
    • 4th year - Global Health elective (45% of students), can cover travel with grants

Living in Columbus:
- does the city prioritize community health/resources? yes, Franklin County has a ton of resources. every specialty has a social work team to connect you to these locla resources. Columbus is also surrounded by a lot of other non-cities, so it needs to provide resources lacking in other places
- campus is huge (is its own zipcode and takes up 10 blocks) so you can easily live near campus but not near the medical center, but if you do want to live near medical center, Victorian Village is your best bet
- probably need a car, Nationwide is not that accessible. buses are okay for short distances but commute times get long for longer distances. students get free city bus passes though for unlimited rides!
- places to avoid? Franklinton (and another place I forgot oops), but MS4 had never felt unsafe in the city
- nightlife scene: something for everyone. kid friendly place but also breweries (Columbus ale trail), dancing, etc

Residency (presenters came late so few notes):
- lots of people worried about matching back to West coast, since lots of matches seem to be to midwest. many of the matches to the midwest are due to personal reasons (family, etc)
- matching to the west or east coast will be hard from anywhere since they're just more competitive in general. but ability to do away rotations to make connections, not that you need to do those since people have matched to places without connections. student acknowledged that it might be harder though from OSU to west coast

Global Health:
- GISGH degree program: flexible, can choose 3 electives and only 1 required course. opportunities to do medical Spanish (and other languages)
- opportunities in 1st and 2nd year, but I forgot to write these down lmao
- 3rd year has advanced global health competency that continues into early 4th year that prepares you for global health elective
- 40% of students do global health elective (this is a crazy number apparently!). many students have said this is their most influential rotation. possibilities to do experiences in research, clinical, or admin/policy

Establishing in-state residency:
- Residency guidelines set by ODHE and not OSU
- 3 main components are 1. physical presence in OH 2. Paying taxes in OH 3. Eligibility to stay in US permanently
- Being a resident of Ohio is not the same thing as establishing residency in Ohio for educational purposes. You must demonstrate that you will be staying in Ohio after medical school.
- Most probably apply through C2, the financially dependent classification
- Tips about applying:
- be accurate about tax and expenses. apply asap (starting June 1 before the term, the application closes in late August)
- Must convey intent to stay in Ohio after graduating
How do you demonstrate intent to stay in Ohio after graduating? Is it still feasible to declare in-state status if I'm not sure where I'll go after graduation?

How do you demonstrate intent to stay in Ohio after graduating? Is it still feasible to declare in-state status if I'm not sure where I'll go after graduation?
I think you just need to show that your intention is to stay in Ohio if possible. Of course, nobody can predict where you match after graduating and I don't think they expect you to guarantee that you are staying. The website has more details but you need to re-establish certain documents like your license etc to be issued from the state of Ohio. The review process tries to screen out people who are purely applying to get cheap tuition while planning to leave the state upon graduation. Because OSU gets state funding for paying tuition for future long-term in-state residents, that's what they must uphold.

Have merit scholarships been gone out yet? They said mid-April. My stats should be good for some of them, but I didn't get anything :(

Have merit scholarships been gone out yet? They said mid-April. My stats should be good for some of them, but I didn't get anything :(
I received a merit scholarship a few days ago so they are definitely sending them out right now.

Has anyone who lives in the area/has visited been able to connect with students/administration and/or tour the campus?

Has anyone who lives in the area/has visited been able to connect with students/administration and/or tour the campus?
i visited recently but didn’t reach out for a formal tour. could be worth a shot but not sure if they have anything going. i wasn’t able to go into any of the hospitals on campus bc of covid but i walked around some of the buildings where med students have classes

Was visiting Columbus this weekend. Didn’t check in with the school but was able to check out the hospitals/campus/city without a problem.

As a west coaster, I’ve always been pretty biased against the Midwest. Plain, boring, simple would come to mind when I think of Ohio. Visiting Columbus definitely challenged my assumptions. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the city and school. Overall it made me significantly more excited about the prospect of attending OSU after getting a lay of the land.

OSU’s campus was fantastic and the hospitals I visited (Werner/James) were excellent. The neighborhoods around campus (Dennison/Victorian village/ short north) are really fun and lively and I could definitely see myself living there.

Reactions: 3 users
As a west coaster, I’ve always been pretty biased against the Midwest. Plain, boring, simple would come to mind when I think of Ohio. Visiting Columbus definitely challenged my assumptions. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the city and school. Overall it made me significantly more excited about the prospect of attending OSU after getting a lay of the land.

OSU’s campus was fantastic and the hospitals I visited (Werner/James) were excellent. The neighborhoods around campus (Dennison/Victorian village/ short north) are really fun and lively and I could definitely see myself living there.
as another west coaster i agree with this. had a great time in the city, went to some excellent bars and restaurants. housing is cheap and the campus was very pretty. would be excited to attend the school if this is where i end up.