2022-2023 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @walnutfloor for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Ohio State Secondary Essay Prompts

Required Essays for those applying to REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD and the Primary Care Track:
1. The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)

2. The OSU COM Admissions vision statement states that the admissions committee will assemble a class that displays "diversity in background and thought." Why is "diversity in background and thought" a desirable characteristic for a medical school's student body? (250 words or less)

3. (Optional) Please use the space below to communicate anything you would like to share with the admissions
committee related to the pandemic. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights
from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; or hardships
you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (250 words or less)

Additional Required Essays for
Primary Care Track applicants:
1. How do you feel ready to choose a career in family medicine? Please provide any examples of exposure and/or experiences not already mentioned in your application.

2. "Health is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Ohio State University College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS secondary received @wysdoc

Questions:

REQUIRED ESSAY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO REGULAR M.D., M.D./PhD AND THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
1. The mission statement of The Ohio State University College of Medicine is to "improve people's lives" through innovation in research, medical education, and patient care. Please describe how your past experiences predict your potential to contribute in two of these three areas. (250 words or less)

2. The OSU COM Admissions vision statement states that the admissions committee will assemble a class that displays "diversity in background and thought." Why is "diversity in background and thought" a desirable characteristic for a medical school's student body? (250 words or less)

3. Optional: Please use the space below to communicate anything you would like to share with the admissions
committee related to the pandemic. Possible topics might include, for example: your biggest lessons and insights
from the pandemic; creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis; or hardships
you may have faced as a result of the virus or quarantine. (Max 250 words)

ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ESSAY ONLY FOR THOSE APPLYING TO THE PRIMARY CARE TRACK:
1. How do you feel ready to choose a career in family medicine? Please provide any examples of exposure and/or experiences not already mentioned in your application.

2. "Health is Primary" is a communications campaign to advocate for the values of family medicine, demonstrate the benefits of primary care, and engage patients in our healthcare system. The aim is to build a primary care system that reflects the values of family medicine, puts patients at the center of their care, and improves the health of all Americans. How do you plan to reflect the values of Family Medicine in your future career? (250 words or less)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just completed the steps they emailed for creating a new Ohio State username. Now my secondary status isn't appearing when I check their portal. Did this happen to anyone else?

Edit: submitted it already, maybe it is gone since it is no longer in progress?

will we receive a confirmation email that we're complete? Or how will we know if we're complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my secondary. Good luck to you all.
If you guys have any questions about the area let me know. I live in Columbus and work for the Wexner medical center. I walk in front of the medical school every morning when I work.

OOS secondary not received - verified on 6/3. Should I contact the school or is anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 user
For the diversity prompt, do I include any ways about how I add to the diverse student body, or should I keep it objective and strict to the prompt?

Just submitted my secondary. Good luck to you all.
If you guys have any questions about the area let me know. I live in Columbus and work for the Wexner medical center. I walk in front of the medical school every morning when I work.
Quick side question: Was there really any place you talked about your relation to OSU in their secondary prompts? Because these questions don't seem to address our relationship to OSU/Columbus specifically :/

Quick side question: Was there really any place you talked about your relation to OSU in their secondary prompts? Because these questions don't seem to address our relationship to OSU/Columbus specifically :/

In the pandemic prompt, I mentioned my relationship with the school since my wife and I moved to Ohio for her grad school during that time period.

Did anyone get an email to activate their my.osu.edu account? It came from the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. I've activated it but am having trouble navigating it

Did anyone get an email to activate their my.osu.edu account? It came from the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. I've activated it but am having trouble navigating it
yeah but its weird because i already did their other portal and this one went to my non aamc email

Having major trouble finding the application I started the other night within the OSU portal. The app is nowhere to be found on the Application Selection page. My account definitely exists, I was able to send a password reset to my email and when I tried entering the verification code and birth date again I got an error message saying the code had already been used. I emailed the help desk but the auto-reply gives a 3-5 business day timeline. Any ideas?

Anyone have the formatting issue pop up after submitting? When responses were entered it looked fine, saved it looked fine. Then when submitted, I checked again and my apostrophe's were question marks. Did I just screw myself?

Anyone have the formatting issue pop up after submitting? When responses were entered it looked fine, saved it looked fine. Then when submitted, I checked again and my apostrophe's were question marks. Did I just screw myself?
The same thing happened to me :(

How are you checking that after you submit?

Im sure they’re not going to throw out your app just because of a formatting issue

Reactions: 1 users
Im sure they’re not going to throw out your app just because of a formatting issue

They have a disclaimer at the top of the page that has a acknowledged checkbox. So it just feels extra bad when you read it, acknowledge it, and follow their directions ... then still somehow it messes up

I tried and it won’t let me access it. When I use that vitals link they sent. It just says my app is complete but I don’t see how to access it.
I don't have a vitals link yet.. I can view the application through the same link that I used to complete the app initially.

it seems like we have to set up 2 separate accounts w/ my.osu and vitals? not rly sure how their system works

So should I fill out the "what schools did you previously apply to" section... Why is that important for my 2023 app?

So should I fill out the "what schools did you previously apply to" section... Why is that important for my 2023 app?
I did. Applied in 2020 for 2021... I don't know why it matters now though

I did. Applied in 2020 for 2021... I don't know why it matters now though
Hm I didn't apply to ohio schools last year so i dont thinik I'll fill it

They can only see you are a reapplicant if you’re a reapplicant at that specific school
thats what I figured. If they really care they could just get the info from aamc. I would assume it is there to demonstrate that you are interested in osu if you applied previously rather than ayo look where I applied last year

For the diversity prompt, do I include any ways about how I add to the diverse student body, or should I keep it objective and strict to the prompt?
Also wondering about this too. I was thinking of incorporating an example of how I contributed to diversity to show why it is important?

Any thoughts?

Also wondering about this too. I was thinking of incorporating an example of how I contributed to diversity to show why it is important?

Any thoughts?
I just answered the prompt the way it was worded since it asked why diversity was important to the student body and not my specific experiences. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to address both though.

Last edited:
anyone else not able to log in to vitals?

Does anyone know if there is any way to confirm that your vitals page is for the current application cycle? As a reapplicant I have no clue if I'm looking at last year's or this year's bc there's no date on it anywhere and I didn't have to make a new account

as an OSU alum I can say that all of OSU's software is truly terrible to work with and hasn't been updated since Alexander Graham Bell

Does anyone know if there is any way to confirm that your vitals page is for the current application cycle? As a reapplicant I have no clue if I'm looking at last year's or this year's bc there's no date on it anywhere and I didn't have to make a new account

as an OSU alum I can say that all of OSU's software is truly terrible to work with and hasn't been updated since Alexander Graham Bell
I can say the same as Wexner employee. The IHIS is god awful.

For accepting an interview invite, the email says to confirm via the Vitals portal, but I am not seeing anywhere to accept within the vitals portal. Is anyone else having this problem? Not sure if I should just respond to their email to accept.

For accepting an interview invite, the email says to confirm via the Vitals portal, but I am not seeing anywhere to accept within the vitals portal. Is anyone else having this problem? Not sure if I should just respond to their email to accept.
Did you get an interview?

Yes haha I got an email and see the invitation in the vitals portal but no where to accept- that's why I'm confused.
Was this for MD or MSTP? Also complete date and stats if you don’t mind sharing?