2020-2021 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't seen this happen post interview...I'm so sorry.
Yeah, me neither. So I was very surprised to see “we regret to inform you that you will not be offered an acceptance” instead of a deferral.
New game mechanic? But thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When is their last interview date? I’ve heard nothing since the secondary lol

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about their last interview date, but I reached out to them to make sure my application wasn't shadow-rejected or just lost. They confirmed my application is still in the running and they will reach out to me via email if anything changes. Fingers still crossed I guess?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Website says September - March. I don't think many refuse an OSU II, so I think they're highly likely booked to the end (at most, one or two more).

Last edited:
It's not new...but definitely rare. Maybe the 14-member panel critiqued something that the screeners thought was ok? You know your app best, but it's a possibility.
What's this about the 14-member panel? Is that how they go over applications post-interview? :)

What's this about the 14-member panel? Is that how they go over applications post-interview? :)
Interview One -> Writes report
Interview Two -> Writes report

External Third person: Reviews app/interview reports and puts their own interpretation/spin on the app/interview -> 14 members vote.

Pitt does something like this as well actually, but they have more things to score (VITA/Group Activity).

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, my interviewer talked about this. They write their evaluations and it goes to the committee. One person will read the interviewers evaluation, then they will review the rest of your application and vote on it. Then she said something about a super committee... But she kind of lost me there.

Yes, my interviewer talked about this. They write their evaluations and it goes to the committee. One person will read the interviewers evaluation, then they will review the rest of your application and vote on it. Then she said something about a super committee... But she kind of lost me there.
Wow lol I didn't get all that insider info from my interviewer...

Wow lol I didn't get all that insider info from my interviewer...
My interview was like a 5 minute interview and then 45 minutes of just casually talking. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing but that's probably how we got on that topic. 😂

My interview was like a 5 minute interview and then 45 minutes of just casually talking. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing but that's probably how we got on that topic. 😂
Mine just described the process at the beginning. We had like 30-40 minutes of standard questions: Provide me with an example of X. Anything from teamwork, diversity, resilience, self-learning, etc. across both interviews. Didn't get asked ethical questions nor why medicine (I was asked why not engineering/research career though), interestingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Friend received an II today for EOMarch for those still waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
Wondering if those are the last of the invites for that interview day 🤔

Not getting an interview here after being WL’d in 18-19 stings. How come they don’t want me man.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users

Not getting an interview here after being WL’d in 18-19 stings. How come they don’t want me man.
Wew that last sentence hit different different.

Reactions: 2 users
I think scholarships are mid April based on one of the million emails I’ve received in the past two days

I think scholarships are mid April based on one of the million emails I’ve received in the past two days
I think merit went out a little earlier than financial aid offers last year

Reactions: 1 users

Hey @porterjustice, I don’t want to call you out but I think you have valuable insight into being an in state applicant on OSU waitlist but having it expire. I know it is propably is a time you don’t want to remember back to, but I think it would be helpful for anyone who views this post later for how waitlist operates. On their website it says the waitlist is active until orientation, but at what point did you or they contact you to tell you that they were not going to accept you. Did they literally not contact you at all and you had to find out that you were not accepted in mid August? I have been deferred since October 29 and it looks like OSU may be my only hope this cycle, so would like to know what I can expect. Also, did you send in a letter of intent back then or any type of updates through the cycle?

Hey @porterjustice, I don’t want to call you out but I think you have valuable insight into being an in state applicant on OSU waitlist but having it expire. I know it is propably is a time you don’t want to remember back to, but I think it would be helpful for anyone who views this post later for how waitlist operates. On their website it says the waitlist is active until orientation, but at what point did you or they contact you to tell you that they were not going to accept you. Did they literally not contact you at all and you had to find out that you were not accepted in mid August? I have been deferred since October 29 and it looks like OSU may be my only hope this cycle, so would like to know what I can expect. Also, did you send in a letter of intent back then or any type of updates through the cycle?
Yeah so they literally never contacted me after waitlisting me lol. No sort of communication whatsoever after that point. I did not send any updates/LoIs.

edit: And I just feel like saying I am so grateful and blessed to have been rejected that cycle. So many wonderful things have happened in my life since then. I wouldn’t be where I was without my gap years. But I do appreciate your thoughtfulness in wording your questions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah so they literally never contacted me after waitlisting me lol. No sort of communication whatsoever after that point. I did not send any updates/LoIs.

edit: And I just feel like saying I am so grateful and blessed to have been rejected that cycle. So many wonderful things have happened in my life since then. I wouldn’t be where I was without my gap years. But I do appreciate your thoughtfulness in wording your questions :)
Ok, that’s good to know. Thank you. I’ll propably try to follow up with them but it may be a generic your application is still in the running. Maybe they wont give me a definite answer until like mid August after orientation week.

Anyone know if April 15 is the last decision day before the WL forms?
I think that is correct. If I remember right the people who interviewed late March got their decision mid April and then the first waitlist acceptances went out April 30-May 1 in my cycle. However, considering May 1-2 is a weekend this year I'm not sure if they will start before or after that weekend

Anyone have an opinion or actually know why there's so much waitlist movement here?

I sent an update last week and they replied within probably 48 hours telling me it has been added to my file.

Not sure what else to do. I'm almost out of hope for this cycle. I just can't see them giving any more invites for interviews in April.

Last edited:
  • Care
Hey guys, I hate to be that guy but I was just informed by Admissions that they have sent out all interview invitations for this cycle. 😢😢😢

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
You would think following the advice of the previous Dean of Admissions would get you somewhere. Guess not. Oh well, best of luck to everyone still in the running!

• Care
You would think following the advice of the previous Dean of Admissions would get you somewhere. Guess not. Oh well, best of luck to everyone still in the running!
Yeah I would have thought working at the hospital here, graduating from here, and doing my volunteer research here would have counted for something but I guess not.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I would have thought working at the hospital here, graduating from here, and doing my volunteer research here would have counted for something but I guess not.
Imma go kick the door to Meiling for you don't worry

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I hate to be that guy but I was just informed by Admissions that they have sent out all interview invitations for this cycle. 😢😢😢
Hi! I just withdrew my II here after realizing that I want to go to Case. I hope it goes out to someone!!!! Best of luck to everyone and just a reminder to not let other people's opinions on an application when they have 1000s to review impact how you feel about yourself and your journey

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi! I just withdrew my II here after realizing that I want to go to Case. I hope it goes out to someone!!!! Best of luck to everyone and just a reminder to not let other people's opinions on an application when they have 1000s to review impact how you feel about yourself and your journey
Case is awesome :)

• Care
shout out to people like you. Congrats on Case!!

• Care
I got rejected outright from my undergrad school with a letter of recommendation from the Chair of Radiology from that same institution who I've worked for my entire gap year plus one year of undergrad. How come our alma maters don't want us, man?

I would've rejected them with an OSU acceptance though so maybe they sensed that.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Any idea when the deferred list will become the WL? And what kind of movement we can expect here?

Any idea when the deferred list will become the WL? And what kind of movement we can expect here?
End of April is when the deferred list becomes a waitlist. Historically kind of a high waitlist movement. Apparently because of the Midwest (see earlier 😂). I don't think anyone knows how wait list movement will be with covid though. Like did OSU interview more people this year? Will more people take different acceptances? Who knows.

For the accepted applicants, has anyone heard anything about scholarships or tried negotiating scholarships? I’m just curious if these are things we are supposed to start doing now or wait until we hear about financial aid. Also curious how receptive OSU is towards negotiating.

For the accepted applicants, has anyone heard anything about scholarships or tried negotiating scholarships? I’m just curious if these are things we are supposed to start doing now or wait until we hear about financial aid. Also curious how receptive OSU is towards negotiating.
Haven't heard anything here, but a student in my interview day recommended we negotiate and made it sound like OSU was pretty good with it!