2020-2021 Nova Southeastern (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*looks at the calendar and realizes that it's officially in the 2-3 week window for when they said they'd get back to you* (presuming you turned secondary back ASAP)

Guesses to when we'll see movement?

Members don't see this ad.

*looks at the calendar and realizes that it's officially in the 2-3 week window for when they said they'd get back to you* (presuming you turned secondary back ASAP)

Guesses to when we'll see movement?
August 27th. Lol my random guess

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted today. Pretty sure my essays for this secondary are actually incomprehensible tho lmaoo

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tried to submit with 3 different cards and each had an error. Anyone else have this problem?\

Tried to submit with 3 different cards and each had an error. Anyone else have this problem?\

Yes, I did have this problem. It even triggered a fraud alert for my card. Eventually, on the 4th try it went through (without that pesky secondary verification thingy). In my case, the first error was because I used my parent's card and they did not respond with the verification code. This 'locked' my payment portal so that I had to call the app service. I called and emailed with no answer. Got fed up and reloaded the app and to my surprise, I could enter payment info again. Used my card. Got an error. Did it again and error but this time a fraud alert. Cleared that up and then tried again and it worked. PERSISTENCE IS KEY.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I did have this problem. It even triggered a fraud alert for my card. Eventually, on the 4th try it went through (without that pesky secondary verification thingy). In my case, the first error was because I used my parent's card and they did not respond with the verification code. This 'locked' my payment portal so that I had to call the app service. I called and emailed with no answer. Got fed up and reloaded the app and to my surprise, I could enter payment info again. Used my card. Got an error. Did it again and error but this time a fraud alert. Cleared that up and then tried again and it worked. PERSISTENCE IS KEY.
Thank you!! It had done the same thing to me so thanks for the help! Got it to work and now on to the waiting :)

Is there a way to check your status? There is for the Osteopathic program, but I can't figure out how to for the Allopathic program.

Is there a way to check your status? There is for the Osteopathic program, but I can't figure out how to for the Allopathic program.
Unfortunately there isn’t. I wish there was too though.

Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately there isn’t. I wish there was too though.
They make a claim that you’ll find out 2-3 weeks after payment. Tempted to email and ask since it’s over the 3 week period.

They make a claim that you’ll find out 2-3 weeks after payment. Tempted to email and ask since it’s over the 3 week period.

They’re quick to reject so silence is good here. I was rejected 2 days after submitting secondary during the last cycle.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
They’re quick to reject so silence is good here. I was rejected 2 days after submitting secondary during the last cycle.
that's surprising they did it that quickly. I do wonder if they have higher standards than what their screen is (like they have an actual screen for a "competitive applicant")

The team is behind you!!! Lmfao

I would but also COVID times so I presumed they've been delayed. I'll probably do it this upcoming Friday and I haven't heard back (will be 4 weeks at that point)
edit to add: my neuroticism has decided to email them today. Will inform the sdn page if I hear back :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
that's surprising they did it that quickly. I do wonder if they have higher standards than what their screen is (like they have an actual screen for a "competitive applicant")

I would but also COVID times so I presumed they've been delayed. I'll probably do it this upcoming Friday and I haven't heard back (will be 4 weeks at that point)

Maybe. They were looking to fill their inaugural class that year I believe

Also, for anyone getting bamboozled with the topics above, there's actually a lot more... Here they are:
5. Is there a time gap between earning your last degree (baccalaureate or other) and the expected time of your medical school matriculation?
6. Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years?
If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
7. Do you believe that you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?
If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)
8. Have you previously applied to any medical school (M.D., D.O., international)?
If yes, please explain what steps you have taken to improve your overall application profile for this admissions cycle. (Maximum 4000 characters)
9. Are you the first person in your immediate family to earn a baccalaureate degree? (Yes or No, no essay)
10. Please explain any gaps or inconsistencies in either academic or standardized test performances throughout your undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate career. (Maximum 4000 characters)

did anyone get a complete email?
I believe they consider the payment confirmation as complete

I emailed the school because curious for 3 week deadline. They’re currently delayed so apps are still “going through screening process” and that “we should hear something soon” ie no definitive timeline.

Reactions: 3 users
"Please highlight any service learning activities that align with humanism in medicine."..........? Like non STEM classes or....? I am confusion

How do I explain being URM in 4000 characters? Like... what in the world

I was really struggling to find different responses for questions 1 and 2. Finally turned in last night.

verified 8/5 and NOVA is one of four schools I have yet to receive a secondary from. Should I contact them or wait 2-3 more weeks? Not sure how long it took most people. LM~76, so I doubt I got screened out.

verified 8/5 and NOVA is one of four schools I have yet to receive a secondary from. Should I contact them or wait 2-3 more weeks? Not sure how long it took most people. LM~76, so I doubt I got screened out.
Check your junk mail just in case. That’s where it was for me.

They really played us with the "we'll get back to you in 2-3 weeks" bit, didn't they?

Reactions: 5 users
For this beast of a secondary, did any of you reference an aspect from your personal statement in the responses to the secondary? I wanna refer to my personal statement for one of the responses but idk how I feel about it lol..... "As stated in my personal statement, ........." thoughts?

For this beast of a secondary, did any of you reference an aspect from your personal statement in the responses to the secondary? I wanna refer to my personal statement for one of the responses but idk how I feel about it lol..... "As stated in my personal statement, ........." thoughts?
General rule is always presume that the reader knows nothing from your primary. There are cases of schools assigning essays to different readers (not same reviewer for primary or secondary) and according to reddit, some that read the secondary first

Have IIs or Rs been sent out yet? I doubt they stick to their 2-3 week decision lol

A friend of mine just got an II, so they're being sent out.

lol weren't people complaining about how they weren't doing the 2-3 week verification thing they talked about in the email the other day?

10 days is even faster than that

Just to clarify, other than the payment email no one received a follow up email saying that your application was complete right?

Just to clarify, other than the payment email no one received a follow up email saying that your application was complete right?
Nothing here. I feel like I pitched my application into a void, especially without a portal.

Reactions: 4 users
anyone willing to share what examples or ideas they put down for the following question. I've been staring at it for far too long and I can't come up with something that isn't already portrayed in my primary. can't think of anything that I'd be withholding from a prof or advisor. like my advisor wrote my committee letter, she knows my entire life story lol.

Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you.

is this supposed to be their version of a diversity essay? should I talk about a hobby that's not on my primary? experiences based on my race (culture is already in primary)? should I be tying it back into why medicine or what can i contribute to their school? the "normally not know about you" has me in a box lol. any advice is appreciated so I can finally submit this beast lol

anyone willing to share what examples or ideas they put down for the following question. I've been staring at it for far too long and I can't come up with something that isn't already portrayed in my primary. can't think of anything that I'd be withholding from a prof or advisor. like my advisor wrote my committee letter, she knows my entire life story lol.

Identify any traits, life experiences, or interests that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you.

is this supposed to be their version of a diversity essay? should I talk about a hobby that's not on my primary? experiences based on my race (culture is already in primary)? should I be tying it back into why medicine or what can I contribute to their school? the "normally not know about you" has me in a box lol. any advice is appreciated so I can finally submit this beast lol
I'm personally treating it as a diversity/adversity essay to touch on other ways that I would uniquely contribute to the med class. My professors/advisor wouldn't necessarily know this info about me either, so it seems like a good place to talk about it.

I'm personally treating it as a diversity/adversity essay to touch on other ways that I would uniquely contribute to the med class. My professors/advisor wouldn't necessarily know this info about me either, so it seems like a good place to talk about it.

ok that makes perfect sense. I'm overthinking it per usual lol. thanks for your response!

got an aamc VITA email that said NOVA requested me to complete it, anybody get one too? or has anyone taken it already?