2020-2021 Missouri, Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Missouri - Kansas City

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received today but have been unable to check any of the boxes on it or fill out the essay. Anyone having this problem also?

Secondary Essay prompt:
Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to becoming a Physician. (250 words)

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received today but have been unable to check any of the boxes on it or fill out the essay. Anyone having this problem also?

Secondary Essay prompt:
Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to becoming a Physician. (250 words)

They sent out an email after that explaining that the email with the invitation to complete the application was sent slightly earlier than it was intended to be sent. They also said that they hope to send out an email letting us know when the portal will be ready. Haven't heard anything else from them yet.

I tried completing the app today, and while I can check the boxes and fill out the essay, there seem to be issues with saving the progress. My essay keeps disappearing but the page is still marked as "complete" but other completed pages show up as "incomplete". Very messy. I hope they can fix it soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
After completing the general application, has anyone received the secondary app?

Secondary Essay prompt:

Hello! Is this the only essay prompt that the school has?

OOS, Secondary received 7/23.

As of now it still does not show the General Application as received in my portal, despite same-day e-mail confirmation of completion. I'm guessing it takes some time; they seem like completely different application systems.

Hello! Is this the only essay prompt that the school has?

There are two other questions on the "Secondary Questions" page, as follows:
"Did you participate in UMKC’s Summer Scholars Program? Yes/No"
"Did you participate in UMKC’s Saturday Academy Program? Yes/No"

Since I already submitted and both were no for me, I'm unable to tell you if there is another prompt attached, but if there is it seems safe to assume it would just ask for details about time spent in those programs.

Just got an update saying I am ineligible to move forward because I didn't take cell bio and genetics and the Adcom only allows people to miss one course only, which could be fulfilled in the fall :(

Hoping for some advice. I am OOS but have ties to Missouri and the Kansas City area as my family lived there for several years. Is it worth applying? I know they say preference is given to in-state and regional applicants.

Is it at all worth applying here if you are OOS with no ties but primary care-oriented?

OH the BS/MD program. Makes sense. Thank you!!

Just got an update saying I am ineligible to move forward because I didn't take cell bio and genetics and the Adcom only allows people to miss one course only, which could be fulfilled in the fall :(
Bruh I got the same message but I am only missing cell bio.... why they gotta do us like this

Members don't see this ad :)
Bruh I got the same message but I am only missing cell bio.... why they gotta do us like this
Yo, this school really rubbed me the wrong way last year, so I didn't even waste the money on applying. This crap they sent you does not surprise me at all. They are so hard and fast on some rules that they are probably weeding out good applicants. I had some communications with the admissions office that really put a sour taste in my mouth that was similar to what they sent you. So, that leaves MIZZOU as my only in-state state school I applied to.

Yo, this school really rubbed me the wrong way last year, so I didn't even waste the money on applying. This crap they sent you does not surprise me at all. They are so hard and fast on some rules that they are probably weeding out good applicants. I had some communications with the admissions office that really put a sour taste in my mouth that was similar to what they sent you. So, that leaves MIZZOU as my only in-state state school I applied to.
I'm not even gonna take the class I am missing, it does not seem worth it, especially w/ my stats

They really do seem to jump the gun on some stuff huh. I graduated from UMKC, but live a block away from the state line on the Kansas side so technically OOS. I took the MCAT for the 2nd time this summer (previous ones from 2019). Got a rejection email right off the bat saying I didn't meet the 500 cutoff. Sent them back an email respectfully requesting consideration of my application be postponed until receipt of my new MCAT, as indicated by my primary. Luckily they decided to hold my app and I ended up getting a score above their mean, but I'm not impressed by the way things have been handled so far. Definitely feeling what you said about the "sour taste".

for the "Please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to becoming a Physician" prompt my word limit says 2500 words and not 250 words? I initially believed it to be 2500 characters but it's now saying 2500 words? is anyone else encountering this problem?
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 3.43.40 PM.png

Got a rejection because I’m taking cell and biochem this semester and I can only take one of those classes in the fall WTF

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Hello all! I'm a current MD only student at UMKC and would be willing to answer any questions you may have about the program. Joined SDN just to follow this message board haha.

Hello all! I'm a current MD only student at UMKC and would be willing to answer any questions you may have about the program. Joined SDN just to follow this message board haha.
Hi! I was wondering how many MD only students they accept each year? No one seems to know for sure.

Hi! I was wondering how many MD only students they accept each year? No one seems to know for sure.
Generally, there is between 20-25 it seems. This will be expanded fairly soon, I expect this MIGHT be delayed for COVID but plans are still moving. When the new facilities open there will be ~40.

Generally, there is between 20-25 it seems. This will be expanded fairly soon, I expect this MIGHT be delayed for COVID but plans are still moving. When the new facilities open there will be ~40.
That sounds promising. Thanks. I am hoping we'd hear something by Friday as far as IIs.

That sounds promising. Thanks. I am hoping we'd hear something by Friday as far as IIs.
I am unsure if there are any COVID changes but just be relaxed. It was a supremely relaxing interview with MMI for me, and I imagine whatever they have cooked up will be just as chill. There were about 80 applicants my year I would say, and there were some who turned down acceptances. Your odds are decent after the interview. The staff and students are amazing and if you get the chance to ask questions then definitely don't turn it down. It is a small program, but everyone is really comfortable with each other. I have not met a single person I could not get along with.

• Care
I am unsure if there are any COVID changes but just be relaxed. It was a supremely relaxing interview with MMI for me, and I imagine whatever they have cooked up will be just as chill. There were about 80 applicants my year I would say, and there were some who turned down acceptances. Your odds are decent after the interview. The staff and students are amazing and if you get the chance to ask questions then definitely don't turn it down. It is a small program, but everyone is really comfortable with each other. I have not met a single person I could not get along with.
Thank you SO much for that. I was actually wondering about this program because there were some posts I saw on SDN regarding the program that raised some concerns for me. It is awesome to hear about the program from a current student. Thank you!

Thank you SO much for that. I was actually wondering about this program because there were some posts I saw on SDN regarding the program that raised some concerns for me. It is awesome to hear about the program from a current student. Thank you!
If I can address any specific concerns you have or read through, then I would be happy to.

when the school says on the website they start in january... is there a purpose for that? do those students end up graduating earlier? what is the point of starting in january?

also- are there simply less applicants bc most of the students are already accepted from undergrad?

also- are there simply less applicants bc most of the students are already accepted from undergrad?

@Salley Jean The school simply starts in January because that is when the medical school curriculum begins for the six-year students. So by starting in January we are all at the same spot more or less. The advantages of this are MANY. 1) We get to graduate in December, and use the time off to relocate for residency if necessary, catch up with family, travel, etc. 2) If you would not like to graduate early, then you have time for additional rotations and you are allowed to stay for the six months and graduate with other medical students. This can be good if you want to have a half research year or buff up your accolades. Whatever. 3) If for whatever reason you need a LOA or need a month off.... you can just take those months off. Drop in the 6 extra months you get from starting early as four week vacation blocks and graduate in June with everyone else in the country.

It is a very flexible program. For your second question, there are fewer applicants primarily because of the instate bias, because of how early their typical cut offs are, and because it is a smaller program. At this time we still only matriculate ~22 or similar MD-Onlys. It definitely is worth an app though, and I can answer any other questions as they come.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello!

During my cycle, there were 22 MD only students that were accepted into the program. Acceptances vary from 19-22 students depending on the year. With the expansion to Mosaic in St. Joseph, I believe there will be more spots for this upcoming cycle available. Here is a link to an article about our expansion: UMKC School of Medicine Approved to Expand Its Program in Missouri. Most of us are in-state students, so if you're an in-state applicant this is a good ticket for you!

Did not see this response before posting mine, but ditto!

Hello!

During my cycle, there were 22 MD only students that were accepted into the program. Acceptances vary from 19-22 students depending on the year. With the expansion to Mosaic in St. Joseph, I believe there will be more spots for this upcoming cycle available. Here is a link to an article about our expansion: UMKC School of Medicine Approved to Expand Its Program in Missouri. Most of us are in-state students, so if you're an in-state applicant this is a good ticket for you!
Thank you!

Let's hope we hear something this week guys!

Hello all,

Just checked my email inbox (because I never delete important emails, lol) and it appears I received an interview offer on September 18th of my cycle year. I'm sure there have been some delays due to COVID, so keep your chins up. They usually interview in mid October and give decisions pretty quickly considering the turn around for the start of school.

Hello all,

Just checked my email inbox (because I never delete important emails, lol) and it appears I received an interview offer on September 18th of my cycle year. I'm sure there have been some delays due to COVID, so keep your chins up. They usually interview in mid October and give decisions pretty quickly considering the turn around for the start of school.
Thanks! I can't remember how many times a day I check my email for any updates from them, haha. I'm hoping we hear something by October 1st since they say the interviews take place in October. Ugh, the wait game is no fun :(

Thanks! I can't remember how many times a day I check my email for any updates from them, haha. I'm hoping we hear something by October 1st since they say the interviews take place in October. Ugh, the wait game is no fun :(
Oh yea tell me about it. Keeping my fingers crossed all days and nights. Gl everyone :)

Hello!

Do you know how many people are in state vs OOS in your class? For OOS, I'm curious as to which states they're from. Thank you