2020-2021 Missouri, Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got rejected :( Congratulations to those getting accepted :) out of curiosity, for those getting accepted and waitlisted, are you IS or OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

Huge congratulations to everyone that received that big A! My year only had 21 students and I believe three of us came from the waitlist, myself included. Moving to many more students with two campuses this year may increase that number! Message me if you have any KC questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Was accepted to the Kansas City campus last week, just declined the offer. Hope the waitlist folks find out soon, good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you accept the acceptance offer on the portal, do you get automatically withdrawn from all other programs you apply to?

If you accept the acceptance offer on the portal, do you get automatically withdrawn from all other programs you apply to?
I don't think so? I'm not sure how they could control other places' admissions processes and I'm pretty sure most places students are allowed to hold multiple acceptances until April. Could be wrong though.

I don't think so? I'm not sure how they could control other places' admissions processes and I'm pretty sure most places students are allowed to hold multiple acceptances until April. Could be wrong though.

Yea, I’m thinking we wouldn’t use the AAMC choose your medical school tool for this school right?

If you accept in the UMKC portal, it will not withdraw your other applications. You may choose to notify those other schools of your acceptance or not! Around May 2021 time the SOM will have you officially accept the offer of admission on the AAMC application portal and at that time other med schools will know of your intentions.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you!

I emailed the admissions team and asked this question. Accepting the offer won’t automatically withdraw you from other schools, but you are required to withdraw yourself from all other schools by December 1st, which is 21 days before orientation.

Also, does anyone know if everything is completely virtual for the coming year, or will we have to be present on campus? I’m assuming we would still have to be there for the clinicals with docents, but I just wanted to confirm.

Also, does anyone know if everything is completely virtual for the coming year, or will we have to be present on campus? I’m assuming we would still have to be there for the clinicals with docents, but I just wanted to confirm.
I do not know if decisions have been made in regards to this yet. It will likely depend on clinic volumes. If there is not a lot of patients for you to see, it will probably be deemed not worth the risk to have you guys in. My two cents? Online is way better. I watch all my lectures at 2X and spend half as much time to learn everything. There seems to be a lot less busywork involved, and I have much more time for meal prep and family without the commute. I also am just not paying rent right now. I recommend not going in with an either/or mindset and just embracing whatever the decision is. You will have big pluses either way you go.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a waitlist acceptance! Does anyone know when I'll receive financial aid info?

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Financial aid at this school is a little late IMO. You will receive emails soon and should receive instructions on what to do. If you would like to get ahead you can go-ahead and do the mandatory worksheets on the government loan site on studentaid.gov and make sure your fafsas are files. Since UMKC starts in January, for the first year you will need 2019-2020 fafsa done as a graduate, and 2020-2021 done for loans. So you could get those filed ahead of time if you are nervous, and then all you would have to do in January is sign the promissory note. :)

• Love
JUST RECEIVED waitlist acceptance to the Kansas City campus!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
is there like a facebook group or a groupme or anything for the kansas city accepted peeps..? just curious...

is there like a facebook group or a groupme or anything for the kansas city accepted peeps..? just curious...
Admin said they set up a group me for all you new kiddos! There should be a link in an email or, more likely, somewhere in the portal.

I should be on one of them as a peer mentor! I look forward to meeting you guys!

• Care
Accepted to KC today! :)

• Care
Hey everybody, I am getting ready to reapply this next cycle. I was recommended to apply to UMKC. I have a brother that went to KCUMB, but I have no other ties to the state. I lived in Nebraska, but am also not a resident. I'd like to hear some advice, do you think I have enough ties to apply here?

Hey everybody, I am getting ready to reapply this next cycle. I was recommended to apply to UMKC. I have a brother that went to KCUMB, but I have no other ties to the state. I lived in Nebraska, but am also not a resident. I'd like to hear some advice, do you think I have enough ties to apply here?
I think if this is a school that interests you and you have the time/money, you should go for it.

Nope, I was waitlisted here. But what I know for sure is no one who doesn't apply will get in.

can anyone answer this question for me? I checked MSAR and it says that UMKC doesn't offer online lectures. Please tell me that this is wrong and that they do offer online lectures.

can anyone answer this question for me? I checked MSAR and it says that UMKC doesn't offer online lectures. Please tell me that this is wrong and that they do offer online lectures.
Hello! So for the majority of our classes pre-pandemic lectures were recorded on panopto, and now they are recorded on zoom and uploaded to panopto. We have sections of classes like our case study days that are NOT recorded, but for now, do still take place online. I believe they are making it clear you will need to be in town for those in person-days and workshops. Some professors do take the option not to record, but they are rare.

Also, you can DM me and I will answer anything I can for you :)