2017-2018 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question- I see on their curriculum that they use simulation learning a lot for students. I've had the unique opportunity of attending two separate "courses" for trauma and OBGYN surgeons (one was residents I think) where it includes lectures and simulation labs etc.

I have this on my AMCAS an total was about 25hrs I think. Do you think this helps at all? I wrote about it in the why WMed essay I'm just curious because they just finished my experiences review

Members don't see this ad.

Random question- I see on their curriculum that they use simulation learning a lot for students. I've had the unique opportunity of attending two separate "courses" for trauma and OBGYN surgeons (one was residents I think) where it includes lectures and simulation labs etc.

I have this on my AMCAS an total was about 25hrs I think. Do you think this helps at all? I wrote about it in the why WMed essay I'm just curious because they just finished my experiences review
If I were on admissions I don't think it would really sway my decision either way. However that's a cool experience and I'm sure you'll have stuff to discuss in interviews because of it! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend who didn't get an invite until 4 months after the phone interview, and he was accepted. Keep your chin up!!
Update: On campus interview invite came today. 10/13, 10/20 and 11/3 are the dates out there right now!

Experiences review completed 8/3, Phone interview completed 8/15, Interview offered 9/6

Reactions: 3 users
Phone interview, experience review completed the last week of august.

Campus interview offered via portal! Phone interview complete 8/26. Lizzy M 76.

Reactions: 1 user
I scheduled for October 20th, which I believe was the only date for October. It then extends into November.

Earlier this morning it was 10/13, 10/20 and 11/3 available. I got II around 8:45 central time (so 9:45 eastern) and a friend also got option of 10/13 at 10am CDT/11am eastern.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you feel like the phone interview went?

I just finished mine, have no idea what to think...
I had the same reaction, I was uncertain of how I did. I'm sure you did great though. Good luck to you!

anybody do a phone interview late August and still waiting?

Mine was early September. I was hoping to hear back today since they've usually been extending II's on Wednesdays.

It seems like (from last year's thread) it's every other Wednesday!

Last edited:
II!!! Havent gotten the email yet but it showed up on my portal :) Phone interview complete email was 9/13

Reactions: 3 users
II!!! Havent gotten the email yet but it showed up on my portal :) Phone interview complete email was 9/13
Yay, congrats! I did mine the day before...so hoping mines coming to :)

What dates were available?

II! Phone interview complete email 9/12

Reactions: 4 users
anybody do a phone interview late August and still waiting?

Phone interview completed 8/28 and haven't heard anything. If the 'every other Wednesday' hypothesis is true, we were likely already reviewed on 9/6 and not chosen for an on campus II. Hope I'm wrong!

Phone interview completed 8/28 and haven't heard anything. If the 'every other Wednesday' hypothesis is true, we were likely already reviewed on 9/6 and not chosen for an on campus II. Hope I'm wrong!

I wouldn't worry too much yet! From last year's thread it looks like some people got II's even a month after their phone interview so you're still fine!

II!!! I'm so happy, I've been having a lot of silence so I needed some good news!

Reactions: 4 users
So if our experiences review was complete in mid-late July and we haven't even heard about a phone interview yet, is it safe to assume we'll be rejected? Asking for a friend

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a phone interview!
Complete 9/2
Experience Review completed 9/15
ReApp, OOS, LizzyM 66-71

Any advice for what to expect with the phone interview?

Just got a phone interview!
Complete 9/2
Experience Review completed 9/15
ReApp, OOS, LizzyM 66-71

Any advice for what to expect with the phone interview?
There's literally nothing you could do to prepare. Just don't psych yourself out, be prepared for zero feedback to your answers, and be yourself.

Phone II!

Complete 9/2
Experience review started 9/12, complete 9/19
IS, 74

On campus II!!! Phone interview complete email on 9/11. First OOS interview, so I'm super excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Experience review complete 8/31. Was really hoping I'd hear back today for a phone interview but I didn't hmmmm... :nailbiting:

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea why their median MCAT is so high and their median GPA is so low? Is it just because they have such a small sample size at this point?

Edit: another question, why does it say that 100% of WMed students receive financial aid? Does Western have good aid options or something?

I'm having fun on MSAR right now :)

Last edited:
So if our experiences review was complete in mid-late July and we haven't even heard about a phone interview yet, is it safe to assume we'll be rejected? Asking for a friend

No, it's only September

Anyone have any idea why their median MCAT is so high and their median GPA is so low? Is it just because they have such a small sample size at this point?

Edit: another question, why does it say that 100% of WMed students receive financial aid? Does Western have good aid options or something?

I'm having fun on MSAR right now :)

I think a lot of us were non-traditional applicants who may not have done so hot during undergrad for some reason or another. I've heard lots of amazing come-back stories, and many of us got it together and performed really well on the MCAT.

Hence you find a lot of really unique classmates with really diverse backgrounds and life experience. WMed seems to care more about the holistic review of applicants (not to say if you have a high GPA you're discriminated against, of course. That'd be silly).

Regarding financial aids, I don't exactly know the significance of 100% of us getting aids but...that's a good thing (?). This was the first year students got federal aid so no one has to take out private loans from now on.

Interview invite today!!! excited to be going to michigan!
Stars in signature, phoneterview/review dates in quote.

Telephone interview invite today! Experiences review completed 8/13/17, OOS.

Campus interview invite today! My phone interview was on 9/2 :)

Campus II also! 9/12 phone interview :) So excited!

Congrats! email or portal?
Email!

Also, I've looked on this thread, but haven't seen info about this interview day. Anyone who has done an interview: is the one-on-one open file? What is the structured interview like, is it essentially an MMI?

Email!

Also, I've looked on this thread, but haven't seen info about this interview day. Anyone who has done an interview: is the one-on-one open file? What is the structured interview like, is it essentially an MMI?
Application Process | WMed Scroll down to see interview day.

Edit: And the structured interview is like a..."non-traditional" MMI. Similar. Kind of like the phone interview, you can't prepare much for it, but there is a dialogue with the interviewer.

Application Process | WMed Scroll down to see interview day
I've read that, it just says what the email says: one one-on-one interview with a faculty member and one structured interview. It does not answer whether it is open or closed file or what structured interview means.

However, I did find the answer to my question on MSAR if anyone else is looking. It is open file and the structured interview is essentially MMI.

I've read that, it just says what the email says: one one-on-one interview with a faculty member and one structured interview. It does not answer whether it is open or closed file or what structured interview means.

However, I did find the answer to my question on MSAR if anyone else is looking. It is open file and the structured interview is essentially MMI.
what? "We utilize both a structured Interview and a traditional open file one-on-one interview. "

II today, 5 weeks after phone interview!

Reactions: 2 users