2017-2018 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a newly established student run free clinic you can volunteer at

Do you know the name of the clinic so I can look up info about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a phone interview invite today, complete 7/25.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked my portal, Phoneterview invite. IS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I never got an email but just checked my portal as well. Phone interview offered at 7:20 am, experiences review complete August 7. IS, LizzyM ~73-76

Just checked my portal, Phoneterview invite. LizzyM 78. IS

Wow, same! I haven't received an email yet but my portal shows that I have been invited to schedule a phone interview. I wonder if most people are invited to complete phone interviews? I'm OOS, with some ties to Michigan

Experience review completed on 7/21, but no phone interview invite yet :(

Wow, same! I haven't received an email yet but my portal shows that I have been invited to schedule a phone interview. I wonder if most people are invited to complete phone interviews? I'm OOS, with some ties to Michigan

I haven't gotten the email yet either, I just saw the invite in the portal during one of my compulsive portal-checking sprees. I heard that the "phoneterview" is done by an external company and is mostly personality-type questions. That leads me to believe that a LOT of them get sent out (it doesn't take the admission committee's time) but not TOO MANY (because it probably costs money for each one).

This school's a little bit of a stat *****, isn't it.

Didn't receive an email, but I checked the portal and received a telephone II this morning. In-state LM ~73

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I e-mail if I haven't gotten the experiences review e-mail yet? I was complete 07/17.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do any of you guys see how to schedule a telephone invite?

Do any of you guys see how to schedule a telephone invite?
I'm guessing that they'll send out an email sometime soon that has a link or something.

Just got the email to set up the phoneterview

Received phone interview invitation via email this morning. LizzyM ~70.

Edit for Dates:
Received secondary on 7/10, submitted 7/16, marked complete 7/17.

Edit for more info:
This thread (second post) has info about how many applicants to the Class of 2019 received phone interviews and on campus interviews. Interestingly the phone interview info on this thread is no longer on the school website.

Last edited:
Dang I didn't realize their class size was so small.

So about 17% of applicants get phone interviews. About 49% of phone interviews turn into in person interviews. About 20% of in person interviews turn into acceptances.

Never tell me the odds, I guess.

EDIT: as noted below, the post interview acceptance rate is likely much higher because more ppl were accepted than matriculated. Carry on.

Last edited:
Dang I didn't realize their class size was so small.

So about 17% of applicants get phone interviews. About 49% of phone interviews turn into in person interviews. About 20% of in person interviews turn into acceptances.

Never tell me the odds, I guess.

I'm sure the post-II acceptance rate is much higher than 20%. The number of students who matriculated was 60, not the total number of accepted applicants

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure the post-II acceptance rate is much higher than 20%. The number of students who matriculated was 60, not the total number of accepted applicants
Great point!!

how can such a new school be such a stat *****? a 514 mcat average? really? i'm in state but i doubt my 511 will get me an interview because of their high stat averages

Could you maybe describe how it was? What the content was, the tone, etc.?
Absolutely. It felt very friendly, and you really have an opportunity to express who you are. I came in skeptical as to how beneficial it would be, but I felt like I had a good opportunity to show off my personality. The setup is just that of any interview, they ask questions, you answer.

Finished my phone interview today. Went by so fast. 3rd party interviewer. Very friendly. Put me at ease. I was asked 7 questions. Questions seemed to mostly gauge personality, etc. Not a back and forth exchange. You answer the question and the interviewer asks the next one.

Take it as an opportunity to show what sort of person you are! I felt like I did a good job of being my genuine self.

Finished my phone interview today. Went by so fast. 3rd party interviewer. Very friendly. Put me at ease. I was asked 7 questions. Questions seemed to mostly gauge personality, etc. Not a back and forth exchange. You answer the question and the interviewer asks the next one.

Take it as an opportunity to show what sort of person you are! I felt like I did a good job of being my genuine self.
Thanks for sharing! Approximately how long was the phone call? Based on what you said it seems like it was pretty short.

Thanks for sharing! Approximately how long was the phone call? Based on what you said it seems like it was pretty short.
It was about 15 minutes including the brief introduction and conclusion. I could've elaborated more on my answers, but it's hard for me to be super articulate on the spot.

Random question, but when it says highlight your interests in the school:

Its named after Homer Stryker who's also the founder of Stryker Orthopedics which my father worked for extensively/for many years. This is not a "valid" reason to be interested in the school is it? Thats how I found out about it but I have no relation to southwest michigan so idk what I would put for that part

Experience review complete on 7/21 and still waiting for a phone interview invite (plz love me WMed)

Reactions: 2 users

Its named after Homer Stryker who's also the founder of Stryker Orthopedics which my father worked for extensively/for many years. This is not a "valid" reason to be interested in the school is it? Thats how I found out about it but I have no relation to southwest michigan so idk what I would put for that part

I mean you could work that into a sentence in your essay. It certainly shouldn't be the main focus of what you say, though. But mentioning that your family ties and "know firsthand the excellence associated with the Stryker name in medicine" blah blah blah is a quick reference that could work, IMO.

Honestly, there is really not much association between Stryker and WMed, except for the fact that the family donated a crapload of money and equipments, which is why the school is named after him.

Anyone know the typical turnaround between phone interview and campus II? Just completed my phone II. Pretty much the same as other posters have indicated: no back-and-forth, just a Q&A to gauge personality, so I wouldn't stress about preparing for it.

Anyone know the typical turnaround between phone interview and campus II? Just completed my phone II. Pretty much the same as other posters have indicated: no back-and-forth, just a Q&A to gauge personality, so I wouldn't stress about preparing for it.
It looks like it took a couple weeks last year. Is the phoneterview something I should review my app for?

If I recall correctly, the guy I talked to told me that I should be hearing if I got an interview within the next few days?

It looks like it took a couple weeks last year. Is the phoneterview something I should review my app for?

I am an applicant as well, but as I understand it, you should not have to review your application. The independent contractor doing the interview will not have access to the rest of your application, according to the email.

If I recall correctly, the guy I talked to told me that I should be hearing if I got an interview within the next few days?
What you hear from Wmed in a couple of days is that your phone interview has been completed and you are being considered for an in person interview. From threads I've read, it seems that an II may come anywhere from a week to many weeks after the phone interview is completed.

I just want to get the completed experiences review e-mail :whistle: lol been complete for a month already.

Supp. app submitted and complete on 7/21, phone interview completed within 3 days of offer (so on 8/14) and waiting to hear about a campus interview!

OOS, 1 cousin w/ family living in K-zoo

Any ideas on # of interview invitations sent yet? If you got one, how soon after the phone interview completed notice?

Any ideas on # of interview invitations sent yet? If you got one, how soon after the phone interview completed notice?

Looks like no IIs yet. From the thread last year, the very shortest amount of time between phone interview and II was 8 days (8/16 to 8/24). It looks like a bunch got sent out that day, so I'd guess since that was a Wednesday, we'll probably hear the very first IIs next week on the 23rd or so.

Thanks for the info from last year, I saw from 2-3 years ago a turnaround time with the schedule:"phone int 9/29, complete email 4 days later, on campus interview invite 2 days after. total 6 days after phone int." but last years is prob. better to rely on

What assessment? I'm sorry, but you'd have to be more specific... How long does it take for someone to do the phone interview? For the school to decide to interview you by phone or in person?...

how long does that assessment take?
30 seconds max to respond, ~40-45 questions (don't remember the exact amount). Could take 20 minutes if you use the full time, but it took me about 10 as the questions are fairly straightforward.

So I have a phone interview coming up this weekend, haven't seen any others on here yet so the are officially offering phone interviews now.