2017-2018 Western Michigan University (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email stating my AMCAS application was received and will be reviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary last week. Completed and also completed the mandatory ethical question exam received after submitting secondary!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I wonder what is involved in their pre-secondary review. Hoping to get a secondary here!

Edit: got a secondary today! 7-10

Last edited:
Just received a secondary today. Turns out it was in my spam folder.... this is the only school whose secondary has made it to the spam folder, so make sure you guys check!

Reactions: 1 users
Online assessment link not working for me. Anyone else?

I tried to do the assessment today and the link said "Site cannot be reached" I e-mailed and will let you guys know what I hear back.

Edit: Admissions e-mailed me back with a different link that worked! Just be careful when clicking to the next question. I accidentally skipped one because the timer ran out and moved to the next question just as I clicked next :sorry:

Last edited:
I'm really struggling with the second half of this question:

Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession. 2000 characters

I genuinely don't have any cultural, ethnic, or socioeconomic differences than the vast majority of med students.... I have other unique experiences that I've addressed in the first half of the question, but I honestly can't say anything for the second half. Should I just ignore it? What did everyone else do?

Secondary submitted. I'm really excited about this school. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really struggling with the second half of this question:

Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession. 2000 characters

I genuinely don't have any cultural, ethnic, or socioeconomic differences than the vast majority of med students.... I have other unique experiences that I've addressed in the first half of the question, but I honestly can't say anything for the second half. Should I just ignore it? What did everyone else do?

You should talk about experiences you have had with diversity. Even though you aren't the person that is ethnic or from a different SES that interaction can have an effect on you.

Does anyone know what the "Experiences Review" consists of? Do they just call your contacts for your ECs or...?

Does anyone know what the "Experiences Review" consists of? Do they just call your contacts for your ECs or...?

From last year's thread:

• AMCAS Application - Submit a primary application to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
  • Experiences Review - Select candidates move next to the experiences review where we review your pre-medical experiences, essays and application materials.
  • Phone Interview - We have designed a telephone interview to help us learn more about your personal attributes. This is not an interview you can study for and isn’t designed to test your medical or scientific knowledge. This step is unique to WMed and is designed to help us learn more about your personal attributes.
  • Campus Interview - Approximately 420 applicants will be invited to Kalamazoo to visit campus, meet with faculty and students for a campus interview. The interview day includes both a traditional interview and a structured interview.

Secondary and assessment done. Your move WMed...

They finished my experience review yesterday, I'm being considered for a phone interview.

They finished my experience review yesterday, I'm being considered for a phone interview.

How long did it take? Also, how do you know you're being considered? I'd imagine they'd just say yes or no after the review?

How long did it take? Also, how do you know you're being considered? I'd imagine they'd just say yes or no after the review?
It took 3 days. They sent an email saying that the review was done and that I'm under consideration for a phone Interview. I'd imagine that they want to compare apps or something before they give them out.

It took 3 days. They sent an email saying that the review was done and that I'm under consideration for a phone Interview. I'd imagine that they want to compare apps or something before they give them out.
I think everyone gets to the "being considered for phone interview" step unless your app is total garbage though.

How long after secondary submission did the online assessment take to be emailed?

What is the online assessment like? I've heard it is just a timed ethics assessment but I was wondering if anyone who has taken it already could give some input since I'm submitting tomorrow.

What is the online assessment like? I've heard it is just a timed ethics assessment but I was wondering if anyone who has taken it already could give some input since I'm submitting tomorrow.

It's just a personality test. There's really no input to give.

For a school thats hitting us with a 2000 character "why us" secondary, their website offers very little information...

Reactions: 2 users
For a school thats hitting us with a 2000 character "why us" secondary, their website offers very little information...

They have just updated the website so there may be more information added in the near future. In the mean time, what sort of information are you looking for? Perhaps I can try to find it or direct you to the right place/person. Much of the details can be found in their student handbook which is publicly available.

The website is pretty comprehensive already, I think. Here are many reasons for "why wmed", just for the curriculum:
  • Some practice until they get it right. We use simulation training until our learners can’t get it wrong. Beginning your first week on campus and regularly throughout your four years, you will train and practice in our state-of-the-art Simulation Center, which translates into success in real clinical settings.
  • Our curriculum is decompressed, which means that we took the long summer break between years one and two and broke it into one-week intervals that are spread throughout the first two years of medical school. These one-week breaks can be used for vacation, electives, or to catch up on the required material. The early electives are designed to let you explore and include options ranging from research to forensic pathology to orthopaedic surgery to medical ethics.
  • Grading during years 1 and 2, and most of year 4, is pass/fail. Grading during year 3 and for selected year 4 advanced clerkships is honors/high pass/pass/fail.
  • You will take the USMLE Step 1 late in Year 3. USMLE Step 1 has changed and includes much more clinical content. We based this decision on the experience of other new medical schools and their documented success. We’ve built in preparation time in the third year to ensure that you’re ready and will succeed.
  • There’s a group or a club for every interest you may have. You’re able to join national organizations such as the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) and Student National Medical Association (SNMA), as well as student interest groups for the area of medicine you’re passionate about—Family Medicine, Orthopaedic Surgery, Neurology, Internal Medicine—we’ve got it all! And you can join clubs to fulfill your interests outside of medicine—the arts, wellness, faith-based groups, and more. Clubs and organizations are a great way to get involved, give back, and gain valuable leadership skills.
  • WMed is new, but we build on a long legacy of medical education in Kalamazoo. We have more than 200 residents and fellows in nine residency programs and two fellowships—some dating back over 70 years. Kalamazoo is also home to innovative leaders in the pharmaceutical and medical device industries.
  • You’ve got to play to win. You’ve got to be present to learn. However, we do recognize all students learn differently and that you’re an adult learner. Attendance is required for most curriculum events such as TBLs and clinical experiences. Our curriculum uses a variety of teaching methods and newer instructional technologies to enhance your learning.
  • Learning can happen anywhere. At WMed, we use a digital textbook platform along with iBooks to replace the traditional paper-based textbooks. After four years of medical school, you leave with annotated texts that you can take with you and access digitally wherever your career takes you.
  • When you become a WMed student, you join the WMed Community. Our medical school class size is small, but our faculty community is large and supportive. We’re all focused on your success.

Last edited:
They have just updated the website so there may be more information added in the near future. In the mean time, what sort of information are you looking for? Perhaps I can try to find it or direct you to the right place/person. Much of the details can be found in their student handbook which is publicly available.

The website is pretty comprehensive already, I think. Here are many reasons for "why wmed", just for the curriculum:
  • Some practice until they get it right. We use simulation training until our learners can’t get it wrong. Beginning your first week on campus and regularly throughout your four years, you will train and practice in our state-of-the-art Simulation Center, which translates into success in real clinical settings.
  • Our curriculum is decompressed, which means that we took the long summer break between years one and two and broke it into one-week intervals that are spread throughout the first two years of medical school. These one-week breaks can be used for vacation, electives, or to catch up on the required material. The early electives are designed to let you explore and include options ranging from research to forensic pathology to orthopaedic surgery to medical ethics.
  • Grading during years 1 and 2, and most of year 4, is pass/fail. Grading during year 3 and for selected year 4 advanced clerkships is honors/high pass/pass/fail.
  • You will take the USMLE Step 1 late in Year 3. USMLE Step 1 has changed and includes much more clinical content. We based this decision on the experience of other new medical schools and their documented success. We’ve built in preparation time in the third year to ensure that you’re ready and will succeed.
  • There’s a group or a club for every interest you may have. You’re able to join national organizations such as the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) and Student National Medical Association (SNMA), as well as student interest groups for the area of medicine you’re passionate about—Family Medicine, Orthopaedic Surgery, Neurology, Internal Medicine—we’ve got it all! And you can join clubs to fulfill your interests outside of medicine—the arts, wellness, faith-based groups, and more. Clubs and organizations are a great way to get involved, give back, and gain valuable leadership skills.
  • WMed is new, but we build on a long legacy of medical education in Kalamazoo. We have more than 200 residents and fellows in nine residency programs and two fellowships—some dating back over 70 years. Kalamazoo is also home to innovative leaders in the pharmaceutical and medical device industries.
  • You’ve got to play to win. You’ve got to be present to learn. However, we do recognize all students learn differently and that you’re an adult learner. Attendance is required for most curriculum events such as TBLs and clinical experiences. Our curriculum uses a variety of teaching methods and newer instructional technologies to enhance your learning.
  • Learning can happen anywhere. At WMed, we use a digital textbook platform along with iBooks to replace the traditional paper-based textbooks. After four years of medical school, you leave with annotated texts that you can take with you and access digitally wherever your career takes you.
  • When you become a WMed student, you join the WMed Community. Our medical school class size is small, but our faculty community is large and supportive. We’re all focused on your success.
Which of these are compelling reasons to go to western michigan? You can join AMSA anywhere. The majority of the schools I've researched have Sims labs. Who cares about how long a city has had medical education? Do i somehow make mandatory attendance a selling point? Digital Textbooks: Pinch me I'm dreaming. Like, if I read any of those reasons for an essay explaining why this school, I would laugh at it...There are some cool things that I found, and I'm sure the school is great. This website that I scoured for about an hour did almost nothing to differentiate WMed from anywhere else, though.

Which of these are compelling reasons to go to western michigan? You can join AMSA anywhere. The majority of the schools I've researched have Sims labs. Who cares about how long a city has had medical education? Do i somehow make mandatory attendance a selling point? Digital Textbooks: Pinch me I'm dreaming. Like, if I read any of those reasons for an essay explaining why this school, I would laugh at it...There are some cool things that I found, and I'm sure the school is great. This website that I scoured for about an hour did almost nothing to differentiate WMed from anywhere else, though.

I agree with everything you said, but you can say the same for almost any medical school. I always have the urge to respond to these "why us" questions with "because you offer an MD degree" :bang:

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with everything you said, but you can say the same for almost any medical school. I always have the urge to respond to these "why us" questions with "because you offer an MD degree" :bang:
For most schools, I feel like the website at least did more to list different programs or aspects of their curriculum. This website would list something really basic that it has and try to make it sound phenomenal. The one I can't get over is listing AMCAS as a selling point on their big curriculum page, rather than actually giving a schematic of the curriculum... (maybe there is one elsewhere, but I couldn't find it...)

Apparently my experiences review started 7/18, completed 7/21, and got the email this morning "Your application has completed the Experiences Review step in the application review process at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine and is now under consideration for a Telephone Interview."

So now more waiting!

For most schools, I feel like the website at least did more to list different programs or aspects of their curriculum. This website would list something really basic that it has and try to make it sound phenomenal. The one I can't get over is listing AMCAS as a selling point on their big curriculum page, rather than actually giving a schematic of the curriculum... (maybe there is one elsewhere, but I couldn't find it...)

I found a pretty comprehensive description of the four year curriculum, the descriptions are located on separate pages - the links to them are on the left side of the curriculum page. Explained things pretty well.

The last message I have from them was on the 17th and it was "We will review all components of your application and be in touch via email soon regarding the next steps in the process. " Should I be worried I haven't gotten the specific experiences review email?

The last message I have from them was on the 17th and it was "We will review all components of your application and be in touch via email soon regarding the next steps in the process. " Should I be worried I haven't gotten the specific experiences review email?

Same here, and when I log in the last update was completion of the supplemental. I don't think I have reached the experience review phase yet. I wouldn't take anything as a bad sign this early on, though. It could maybe just be that they are extremely busy with applications that were completed earlier so they have not started on the ones that were complete on the 17th. It is still pretty early in the cycle!

Does anyone know what you need to put down for the educational organizations box for the secondary application? Like i don't have any ties to Kalamazoo and im confused about what to put down for the edu organizations.

Does anyone know what you need to put down for the educational organizations box for the secondary application? Like i don't have any ties to Kalamazoo and im confused about what to put down for the edu organizations.
If you have no ties to any of those organizations then don't put anything.

Are there free clinics that student can volunteer at? I see lots of service opportunities but not at clinics..

Last edited:
Are there free clinics that student can volunteer at? I see lots of service opportunities but not at clinics..

I went to an open house here back in April and they have several clinics that M1s can get involved at right away. Awesome school with state of the art facilities.

There is a newly established student run free clinic you can volunteer at

Pre-clinical: Years 1 and 2: Foundations of Medicine | WMed
Clinical:Years 3 and 4: Clinical Applications | WMed

Found on sidebar for anyone else interested
upload_2017-8-1_12-53-11.png