2017-2018 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ditto. The small class size and hospitals are very appealing and everyone seems genuinely happy and supportive
Also agree. It seems if you look hard, you can find some fun stuff to do around town. Between the small class size, OSF and the jump training center, It's hard to go wrong education wise. I'm excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm just concerned about having to get a car. Only 10 out of the ~60 students dont have a car as M1s...and my car is not going to last longer than a few more months. Does anyone know if UI-COM financial aid office is helpful in this regard? I don't even know how to ask.
No clue if financial aid is helpful, but I do know you cannot use federal loans for a car.
Also I talked to a student who said it's easy to find housing <5 min walk and other students often offer rides when they go to grocery stores.

No clue if financial aid is helpful, but I do know you cannot use federal loans for a car.
Also I talked to a student who said it's easy to find housing <5 min walk and other students often offer rides when they go to grocery stores.

I don't want to be a leech and not having a car is a serious issue when wanting to do anything or go anywhere that is not within 5-10 minutes of walking distance. Especially since we were told Peoria's public transit system is garbage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to be a leech and not having a car is a serious issue when wanting to do anything or go anywhere that is not within 5-10 minutes of walking distance. Especially since we were told Peoria's public transit system is garbage.
Totally understand. Just relaying on what I heard today.
Nothing seems that close and relying on other people would seem like a big inconvenience to me personally

Has anyone else not gotten an account/email information and financial aid award?

Is it true we will get 1 week of study time before scheduled exams? If so, that's pretty wild because I don't know any other schools that give that much dedicated study time!

On a practical stand point, what's the benefit of doing IMED? Does it help with more competitive specialties?

On a practical stand point, what's the benefit of doing IMED? Does it help with more competitive specialties?
I doubt it looks better than doing research does in terms of how PD's view it. I think it's mainly just for one's own edification.

It's also just a good thing for medicine in general to have more doctors involved with and capable in R&D and product design.

Okay thanks! That's what I figured as well.

Anyone know when we can expect to hear back about GMED, IMED, etc. (post-interview)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we are allowed to change our NetID? I think most schools allow you to create your own but I just activated mine and realized that they assigned us one.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to change our NetID? I think most schools allow you to create your own but I just activated mine and realized that they assigned us one.

Is that true? I don't think I've ever attended school where I was able to create my own.

Is that true? I don't think I've ever attended school where I was able to create my own.

For my undergraduate institution I created my own and for other medical school accounts I've activated I was able to, as well. I guess for UIC they just assign it to you and that was what I was curious about. Thank you though!

For my undergraduate institution I created my own and for other medical school accounts I've activated I was able to, as well. I guess for UIC they just assign it to you and that was what I was curious about. Thank you though!

Gotcha. All 4 post-grad institutions I've ever taken classes at have assigned IDs, so that's why I was so surprised. I certainly would have preferred to create my own, though.

Does anyone know what this 15k for a summer term is for, particularly after the M1 year, which we technically have off?

Who said we had it off? we are the first class taking summer classes the first three years, only summer off we have is on 4th year, cheers :)

Who said we had it off? we are the first class taking summer classes the first three years, only summer off we have is on 4th year, cheers :)

sorry missed that. wasnt able to attend 2nd look. do you know what the summer course consists of?

I also missed second look so Im not really sure, I do whoever work at a lab with somebody who helped design the new curriculum, is basically more spread out than the previous one and it gives us more time to prepare for Step 1, so just regular classes Im guessing.

I also missed second look so Im not really sure, I do whoever work at a lab with somebody who helped design the new curriculum, is basically more spread out than the previous one and it gives us more time to prepare for Step 1, so just regular classes Im guessing.

ugh so we pay them 23k to study more......yikes

UICOM at Chicago Academic Calendar - Key Dates

I believe you can read the schedule for the M1s who started in Fall of 2017 and extrapolate for us. They were the first class on the new curriculum. Orientation is going to start for us around 08/6/2018 with fall term ending 12/14/2018.

Spring term: 01/02/2019 - 04/19/2019
Summer term: 04/29/2019 - 06/21/2019

M1 summer break: 06/22/2019 - 08/18/19

M2 Year will start on 08/19/19

So there seems to be an 8 week summer break between M1 and M2, and this gels with what was said at second look day.

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 1 users
The summer term is from May to June if I remember correctly and consists of regular classes. After summer term there is an 8 week break. The total tuition is about the same as when the old curriculum was in place; the college just adjusted the the tuition so each term is the same amount now.

https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/1819_Chicago_COA-entered-prior-to-FAll-2017.pdf

https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/1819_Chicago_COA-entered-FAll-2017-and-after.pdf
Nah they rose the tuition used to be 192k including summer terms total. now its like 210k.

Does anyone have the matriculation agreement that was on the acceptance portal that listed what grades we needed to hold, updates we needed to provide etc? Would like to see the whole thing for my records

upload_2018-4-12_9-55-42.png

This is pulled directly from my own student portal for 2018-2019 (Fall and Spring semesters only). The way I understand it there will be 11 total terms through the 4 years of medical school and each term will cost the same in terms of tuition. Additionally, I believe we are locked in for 4 years into the same per term tuition cost (or that's the way University of Illinois undergrad always worked at least).

Since 2 terms cost $35,234. Cost per term = 35,234/2 = $17,617

$17,617 * 11 = $193,787 total tuition for 4 years. However, while tuition is the same for those summer terms, I believe some of the Mandatory fees are actually a bit less, so it's probably 2k-3k less for the four years. Anyway, let's ballpark it at $193,000.

$193,000/4 =~ $48,250 per each M year for 4 years. Having that per year average number for tuition makes it easier to compare to other schools (if anyone is still deciding).

Also, cost of living is estimated at ~$27,000 per year. So full freight per year on average: 48,250 + 27,000 = $75,250.

Total for 4 years= $75,250 * 4 = ~$301,000.

These are my own estimates based off the information available through my student portal and some back of the napkin math, but I think it's probably within a couple of grand of what it will end up costing to get an MD from UIC.

Reactions: 5 users
Yup, I think this is the same for everyone. They have a package they use from CB for every incoming M1 class and I think they wait until a certain date in the summer to reset the deadlines to the new year. I would not worry about the dates, and just work on getting those immunizations and titers in.

The flu shot is probably set-up to reset to the new year as well. You do not have to get a flu shoot for this season, but you will have to get one at the beginning of the academic year in August/Sept for the 2018-19 flu season.

When signing up for CastleBranch, do we choose the one where we have to pay $30 (UG31 compliance tracker) or the free one (UG31dm document manager)?

When signing up for CastleBranch, do we choose the one where we have to pay $30 (UG31 compliance tracker) or the free one (UG31dm document manager)?

You already know the answer..$$$.. haha, kidding. Yup, the one where you have to pay $30. UG31 compliance tracker. FYI, you will have to get titers for almost all the immunizations. In the past. when I used CastleBranch, a record of your immunizations was enough. But now you need both the record and a blood draw to determine that you have the antibodies.

Can any current students comment on the nightlife in Peoria? Or are there just casual bars?

Edit: Would it reflect badly to send a letter of appeal/intent after rejection? Nothing to lose right? Though I am planning on applying next cycle.

Last edited:
Edit: Would it reflect badly to send a letter of appeal/intent after rejection? Nothing to lose right? Though I am planning on applying next cycle.
I was waitlisted last year and sent a letter of intent. After not getting off the waitlist, I reapplied this cycle, got an II in November, and was accepted. So, from my experience alone (even though it was not an immediate rejection), I'd say you should probably go for it! Input from others would be helpful as well.

View attachment 231855

This is pulled directly from my own student portal for 2018-2019 (Fall and Spring semesters only). The way I understand it there will be 11 total terms through the 4 years of medical school and each term will cost the same in terms of tuition. Additionally, I believe we are locked in for 4 years into the same per term tuition cost (or that's the way University of Illinois undergrad always worked at least).

Since 2 terms cost $35,234. Cost per term = 35,234/2 = $17,617

$17,617 * 11 = $193,787 total tuition for 4 years. However, while tuition is the same for those summer terms, I believe some of the Mandatory fees are actually a bit less, so it's probably 2k-3k less for the four years. Anyway, let's ballpark it at $193,000.

$193,000/4 =~ $48,250 per each M year for 4 years. Having that per year average number for tuition makes it easier to compare to other schools (if anyone is still deciding).

Also, cost of living is estimated at ~$27,000 per year. So full freight per year on average: 48,250 + 27,000 = $75,250.

Total for 4 years= $75,250 * 4 = ~$301,000.

These are my own estimates based off the information available through my student portal and some back of the napkin math, but I think it's probably within a couple of grand of what it will end up costing to get an MD from UIC.

This is good, but have we legit received anything official with how this COA and loan . I am finallly starting to chart this crap out for the April 30 deadline and would like the actual breakdown

Declining my acceptance today, hopefully one of you guys get it!!

Just officially got waitlisted...does anyone know anything about the waitlist movement here?

For those that have been accepted and are committing to UIC, how do we accept the offer? Is there any additional form or something we have to fill out?

Just withdrew. The bestest of best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

For those that have been accepted and are committing to UIC, how do we accept the offer? Is there any additional form or something we have to fill out?
You will receive an email with a link to an Accepted Student Portal. Your login credentials will be your AAMC ID and password used for the old UIC portal. Once you login, there will be a tab called Offer Acceptance. Congrats on your acceptance!

Has anyone else not received any financial aid information yet?

Wish that they would give up the Chicago spots that people withdrew from to those of us who were accepted early on and given peoria or rockford.

Wish that they would give up the Chicago spots that people withdrew from to those of us who were accepted early on and given peoria or rockford.
They do if you appeal and there’s enough spots. If you write an appeal for professional reasons why you need Chicago it could work. She said she’ll give spot to specialty program people first then appeals then waitlist. But they are being reviewed end of april so I’d act fast to get one in.

They do if you appeal and there’s enough spots. If you write an appeal for professional reasons why you need Chicago it could work. She said she’ll give spot to specialty program people first then appeals then waitlist. But they are being reviewed end of april so I’d act fast to get one in.

I’ve been told appeals rarely work. I’m not sure if they’ll switch me because I’m interested in working with minorities in urban settings. Peoria is significantly smaller than Chicago but it’s still one of the largest cities in Illinois. I’m sure they’re looking for reasons related to family and/or a spouse. RIP

I’ve been told appeals rarely work. I’m not sure if they’ll switch me because I’m interested in working with minorities in urban settings. Peoria is significantly smaller than Chicago but it’s still one of the largest cities in Illinois. I’m sure they’re looking for reasons related to family and/or a spouse. RIP
They are doing everything different this year. I went to Chicago and asked. Yeah that reason may not be good enough but if you can find another reason it might work! Don’t base it off previous years. Writing one page on it would only take like 30min totally worth a shot

FYI, rejected post-interview (interviewed in October, deferred 11/20) earlier this week. Peace homies.