2017-2018 University of California - Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rejected yesterday, in-state LM 76 w/ strong ECs. Odd how specifically this cycle has been playing out, I've been getting interviews from top 20 but none from top 10/outside of top-25-ish.

Members don't see this ad.

Joining the L - Train. Born and Raised in CA - lived here my entire life. LM~ 71.

Still trying to understand the criteria by which they're evaluating applicants...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-II

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My fellow 1/5 interviewers?? I'm guessing if I didn't get a call by now then it's a no from them? Has anyone from that interview group received a call yet?

Rejected pre-II

If it makes anyone feel better.....two cycles ago, I got an interview at Davis, followed by WL, then ultimately rejected. I have since spent two years SIGNIFICANTLY improving my app (3+ publications, 100's of additional volunteer hours, 10 additional science classes with 4.0, better MCAT, etc.) and yet I get rejected pre-II. Maybe they don't consider re-apps? I guess I'll never know!
Damn. I’m sorry. Best of luck getting in somewhere! :/

My fellow 1/5 interviewers?? I'm guessing if I didn't get a call by now then it's a no from them? Has anyone from that interview group received a call yet?
I hope not! A friend of mine says he received his acceptance call around 5PM back in December. I'll wait another hour before despairing.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using SDN mobile

Interviewed on 1/5. Just now waitlisted. OOS. Honestly this is no surprise at all considering every single person I spoke with seemed to be from Cali and I had never even been there before lmao. Good luck everyone!!!!

Interviewed on 1/5. Just now waitlisted. OOS. Honestly this is no surprise at all considering every single person I spoke with seemed to be from Cali and I had never even been there before lmao. Good luck everyone!!!!
+1 WL. Got the email around 4:30PM. Does anyone have any information on the likelihood of getting off the WL? I gather from previous threads that there tends to be some movement. Is it a ranked WL?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using SDN mobile

Do they take people of their interview hold list? If so, I'm wondering when they would do that.

Just flipped out over the phone with Dr. Sousa!! Accepted into the class of 2022!! Most embarrassing call of my life, considering the number of “OMG” I interjected with during his speech. He laughed, I hyperventilated and it’s all good!

Really hoping many of you will be receiving good news from this school soon as well! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just flipped out over the phone with Dr. Sousa!! Accepted into the class of 2022!! Most embarrassing call of my life, considering the number of “OMG” I interjected with during his speech. He laughed, I hyperventilated and it’s all good!

Really hoping many of you will be receiving good news from this school soon as well! Good luck!

Congratulations!!! Wondering if you interviewed on 1/12, that's when I interviewed but have not heard back yet. This wait is killing me.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! Wondering if you interviewed on 1/12, that's when I interviewed but have not heard back yet. This wait is killing me.

I did!! Were you the PM or AM group? I was the PM. It’s probably that they’re still going through a long list of calls to make and just haven’t gotten to yours? I’m hoping that’s the case, at least!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did!! Were you the PM or AM group? I was the PM. It’s probably that they’re still going through a long list of calls to make and just haven’t gotten to yours? I’m hoping that’s the case, at least!
I was in the AM group, thanks for letting me know. At this point, I'm just hoping for the best!

Does anyone know when second look is? Also - this may be a long shot, but are there any recent UCDSOM grads that I can message with a couple of questions?

Last edited:
My son got accepted just now. Interviewed on Jan 19th. IS

Does anyone know when second look is? Also - this may be a long shot, but are there any recent UCDSOM grads that I can message with a couple of questions?

I think you're supposed to email admissions up to 4 available dates for a more personalized tour.

I think you're supposed to email admissions up to 4 available dates for a more personalized tour.

I understood that - but I think there's a second look day when all matriculating students can see the campus again? Other schools have it (in March and April), so I figured Davis had it too. Potentially meet other students and talk about housing, etc.

I read in a post from 2014 that Davis doesn't accept letters of intent from waitlisters. Is this still true? In case they do, when would be a good time to put one in?

anyone who interviewed on 1/19/18 still waiting to hear back?

Maybe they don't consider re-apps? I guess I'll never know!

I am sure every year at least a few re-app gets accepted to Davis, so they do consider re-app. But of course, with re-app in general is not easy to stand out in the race.

I am surprised at how Davis quickly rejected your re-app after you have improved. Again this just proves the unpredictable nature of pre-secondary screening of UCD.

has anyone received an interview from the interview wait-list recently? Anxiously waiting.

Does anyone know where I can find more information about clerkship rotation sites? I can't seem to find anything on the UCDSOM website. If you can post a link, that would be helpful!

I just interviewed here last Friday and it really is a wonderful school. Also, I was traveling my interview day and had work the next day so I missed the reading the email where the post interview survey has to be submitted as soon or possible or your application will not be reviewed. Just thought I would give a heads up for future applicants to look out for.

do you guys know how many interview dates are left?

Still waiting for that secondary.....:hello:

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find more information about clerkship rotation sites? I can't seem to find anything on the UCDSOM website. If you can post a link, that would be helpful!

Don't have a link, but most rotations are either at UCD medical center or in the Sacramento area (Sutter, Kaiser, Mercy, or Mather VA)

I am super disappointed I just received the email that I have been rejected :( this comes as a huge surprise as I feel like I could not have met the mission statment more and had a great interview experience. This will be then end of my MD cycle unfortunately and didn’t received any acceptances but I was fortunate enough to gain a few DO.

Interviewed 2/9

I am super disappointed I just received the email that I have been rejected :( this comes as a huge surprise as I feel like I could not have met the mission statment more and had a great interview experience. This will be then end of my MD cycle unfortunately and didn’t received any acceptances but I was fortunate enough to gain a few DO.

Congratulations! You're going to be a doctor!!!

Interviewed 2/9
I am sorry to hear about the rejection. At least, you have DO acceptances which is super great!

What are my chances of being accepted from the waitlist? Is the waitlist ranked??

What are my chances of being accepted from the waitlist? Is the waitlist ranked??
I'm not sure if the waitlist is ranked internally, but they don't tell you a #. Waitlist movement varies from year to year, so it's hard to say what the chances are. But UCD typically has good waitlist movement, so I wouldn't write off a waitlist as a rejection. I'm a student here and got in from the waitlist! :)

Does UCD give any aid other than loans, etc? Because it's a state school, I suspect not but I don't want to assume.

Does UCD give any aid other than loans, etc? Because it's a state school, I suspect not but I don't want to assume.
A lot of students get grants each year, which can be a few thousand dollars. Can't speak for anyone else but I got 7500 in grants per year

A lot of students get grants each year, which can be a few thousand dollars. Can't speak for anyone else but I got 7500 in grants per year
Thanks for the response! Would you happen to know what the process is for obtaining a grant? Is there an application or is everyone automatically considered? I presume they are need-based? Also, is it guaranteed for all 4 years or are you re-evaluated annually?

Thanks for the response! Would you happen to know what the process is for obtaining a grant? Is there an application or is everyone automatically considered? I presume they are need-based? Also, is it guaranteed for all 4 years or are you re-evaluated annually?
Just complete the FAFSA and forms the school requires for your financial aid application (I think there's 2). I believe everyone is automatically considered if you've completed those 3 things, and you don't have to do anything extra. Everyone is re-evaluated annually, but I'm not sure what the criteria is on how they decide to award them

Congratulations!! What time did you receive the call from Dr. Sousa?

Full-tuition merit scholarship today!!! So happy

Reactions: 2 users
Full-tuition merit scholarship today!!! So happy

Congrats!! I also got one (for half tuition though); do you know why we are chosen? I don't remember applying for scholarships so I'm assuming everyone is considered?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! I also got one (for half tuition though); do you know why we are chosen? I don't remember applying for scholarships so I'm assuming everyone is considered?
Mine said I was chosen because I fit their mission. I think everyone was considered

Does anyone know if today was their last interview day?