2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When rejected, does the status change in the portal?

Members don't see this ad.

When rejected, does the status change in the portal?

Yeah. It reads: "Thank you for your application to RVUCOM-CO. We regret that due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool, we are not able to extend an interview offer to you this year. We hope that you find a school that is a great fit for you as you continue to pursue your goal of becoming a physician."

rejected!!! first of the season, submitted everything by 7/10 ... pretty disappointed but oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang...several rejections coming out for people with relatively decent stats. For those that were rejected with average GPA and MCAT...were you deficient in other areas of your application?

I just spoke to admissions, my rejection was a mistake! My app was never complete-- my school is supposed to send my committee letter in this Friday (hopefully lol).

Not sure if this means I'll just end up rejected once I'm officially complete, but still in the running as of now.

Just wanted to post it here in case anyone else was in a similar situation.

Reactions: 3 users
Dang...several rejections coming out for people with relatively decent stats. For those that were rejected with average GPA and MCAT...were you deficient in other areas of your application?
welp, can't speak for anyone else but i would say no, i didn't feel that there were any parts of my app that were deficient. but of course i don't really know...got rejected for a reason

Submitted secondary 7/2 and haven't heard anything yet! Freaking out with all of these rejections today going to good stats...

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted secondary back in June. Still no news. Just silence, deafening silence...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I just spoke to admissions, my rejection was a mistake! My app was never complete-- my school is supposed to send my committee letter in this Friday (hopefully lol).

Not sure if this means I'll just end up rejected once I'm officially complete, but still in the running as of now.

I had a similar conversation with another school. They were like "we are so glad you called!"

Rejected :( first one of the season!
3.74 gpa, 3.64 sgpa, 504 mcat, CA Res

Hey y'all, congrats on those who got II's already!

I'm a current oms-1 at CO campus willing to answer any questions I can!

As for admission, they definitely focus on the secondary. I'm originally from the east coast and my stats were definitely below average for their medians. Make sure they see you as a fit!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
First rejection for the CO campus :( - completed secondary on 7/3
CA resident, Lizzy M 65, Lots of ECs

Members don't see this ad :)
In case you care here is Southern Utah campus students most common home states: Utah, California, Nevada, Colorado, Oregon.

But I do know some from the East coast.

Yay that's good news!

Current 1st year at CO campus - just wanted to bring something to the attention of current applicants...

CO campus is live-broadcasting lectures to Utah (a few lectures are broadcast to us from Utah as well). The format in which they've been doing the broadcasting has been highly distracting for me and I suspect some of my classmates as well. 1 of the 2 projection screens (50% of the screen real estate) in our auditorium has been devoted to showing a live time feed of the students sitting in the auditorium at the Utah campus. I'm not sure where RVU stands with regards to hiring more faculty for the Utah campus but right now it seems like they're providing half the service for twice the money by splitting faculty/lectures between the schools instead of each school having their own. In addition to the distracting lecture environment rife with time squandered ironing out the technological kinks to facilitate streaming between the two campuses, the division of faculty resources between 2 schools means that you won't be able to meet face-to-face with many of the professors during their office hours and instead being relegated to correspondence via phone call or email. From a strictly business standpoint, I see the merits of doing this. Unfortunately however, this is a medical school and the pursuit of higher profits is coming at the cost of its students' education. It is profoundly frustrating to receive a lesser quality education and to see the school administration profit as a result of it. Had I been aware of this prior to applying and later matriculating here, I would have chosen a different school for my medical education - even if it meant trudging through another application cycle for a chance to go elsewhere.

Current UT student here. I'm not sure how its been so distracting for you?? Yes there have been some minor (<10 mins) delays in starting at most three classes right on time the first week due to some technical glitches, but since then it has been essentially seamless. To be honest, to read you complaining about the live streaming comes across as immature, pedantic, and whiny. You have access to the professors. You get to see them in person. You can go see them in office hours. We don't have that. Aside from having to hear some obvious or irrelevant questions (in my opinion) from some of my peers in UT, I just don't get it how the streaming can be THAT much of a distraction.

I knew this coming in and decided to take the risk over matriculating elsewhere due to the way that RVU prepares it's students for success. I would not consider my education to be "lesser quality" by any means. RVU has proven the last few years to provide an excellent education to prepare its students to give them the best opportunity to pursue what they want in medicine.

To those applying to UT, don't forget that it is still a new school. The administration has been very transparent with us regarding updates to facilities, programs, and the state of hiring new faculty to staff UT. The goal which was told to us during orientation was for our class is to have lectures 60% from CO and 40% from UT by the end of our second year. As to whether or not each campus will have its own, fully independent faculty in X years, I have no idea. I haven't found the live streaming to be an issue at all. Anything I don't catch in lecture I can easily watch again at x2 speed via the recorded video they post for us.

So far it has been a positive experience for myself, but know that there will be hurdles to come over the next 2-4 years at the UT campus. Then again, being able to become a doctor with these small hurdles is well worth not applying again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Current UT student here. I'm not sure how its been so distracting for you?? Yes there have been some minor (<10 mins) delays in starting at most three classes right on time the first week due to some technical glitches, but since then it has been essentially seamless. To be honest, to read you complaining about the live streaming comes across as immature, pedantic, and whiny. You have access to the professors. You get to see them in person. You can go see them in office hours. We don't have that. Aside from having to hear some obvious or irrelevant questions (in my opinion) from of my peers in UT, I just don't get it how the streaming can be THAT much of a distraction.

I knew this coming in and decided to take the risk over matriculating elsewhere due to the way that RVU prepares it's students for success. I would not consider my education to be "lesser quality" by any means. RVU has proven the last few years to provide an excellent education to prepare its students to give them the best opportunity to pursue what they want in medicine.

To those applying to UT, don't forget that it is still a new school. The administration has been very transparent with us regarding updates to facilities, programs, and the state of hiring new faculty to staff UT. The goal which was told to us during orientation was for our class is to have lectures 60% from CO and 40% from UT by the end of our second year. As to whether or not each campus will have its own, fully independent faculty in X years, I have no idea. I haven't found the live streaming to be an issue at all. Anything I don't catch in lecture I can easily watch again at x2 speed via the recorded video they post for us.

So far it has been a positive experience for myself, but know that there will be hurdles to come over the next 2-4 years at the UT campus. Then again, being able to become a doctor with these small hurdles is well not worth applying again.

Yeah some of your peers need to do way less lol.

I will say there was some mild annoyance on the first day just because I was never told during my interview that we would be sharing any lectures with the UT campus; seems that info was what was given to the UT interviewees but not the CO ones. With that, it hasn't affected me at all in paying attention or doing well on exams or anything

As for the state of the shared lecture, the process still has some kinks its working out and both IT and the phase directors seem receptive to feedback. For example, we complained because they were streaming the utah campus on one of the two screens during our live lecture and if you sat on the wrong side of the auditorium it was a pain to see what was on the slides, but after a week they changed it for us to have the slides up on both screens when live in CO, and only split between live feed and slides when we have a UT professor. Another mild annoyance is Utah has mics wired into the desks in every row, whereas they're retrofitting the CO auditorium so only about 3-5 rows in the middle have it right now and the rest have to wait for a wireless mic to be passed around.

All that said, I've probably only been attending half the lectures and watch the rest so it doesn't really matter where the professor is talking from as long as it's coming through my computer speakers. I'm sure by the time y'all would matriculate the process would be much smoother, streamlined, and less distracting. Don't let it affect your decision too much.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah some of your peers need to do way less lol.

I will say there was some mild annoyance on the first day just because I was never told during my interview that we would be sharing any lectures with the UT campus; seems that info was what was given to the UT interviewees but not the CO ones. With that, it hasn't affected me at all in paying attention or doing well on exams or anything

As for the state of the shared lecture, the process still has some kinks its working out and both IT and the phase directors seem receptive to feedback. For example, we complained because they were streaming the utah campus on one of the two screens during our live lecture and if you sat on the wrong side of the auditorium it was a pain to see what was on the slides, but after a week they changed it for us to have the slides up on both screens when live in CO, and only split between live feed and slides when we have a UT professor. Another mild annoyance is Utah has mics wired into the desks in every row, whereas they're retrofitting the CO auditorium so only about 3-5 rows in the middle have it right now and the rest have to wait for a wireless mic to be passed around.

All that said, I've probably only been attending half the lectures and watch the rest so it doesn't really matter where the professor is talking from as long as it's coming through my computer speakers. I'm sure by the time y'all would matriculate the process would be much smoother, streamlined, and less distracting. Don't let it affect your decision too much.
Does the fact that the school is for-profit provide any downfalls or issues? Or do you not notice any money-making schemes? I love the Colorado location but concerned about applying to a for-profit school. I can PM if you prefer.

Does the fact that the school is for-profit provide any downfalls or issues? Or do you not notice any money-making schemes? I love the Colorado location but concerned about applying to a for-profit school. I can PM if you prefer.

I honestly can say I notice no money making schemes at all. You could say opening UT was for more money but at the student level, I don't see myself having a different experience than any of my peers who have started at other schools. Labs are still only 8-10 students to an instructor and facilities are in good shape.

Rejected at CO campus via email. CA resident, 3.35 cGPA, 3.30 sGPA, 506 MCAT. Submitted secondary in Late July. Best of luck to everyone else!

Is there a way to insert memes on this board? I had a dream that you could insert memes but Im not sure how

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 10.20.31 AM.png
me waiting to hear from this school:)

Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 222347 me waiting to hear from this school:)
I'd rather have a rejection now as opposed to a rejection in March. As much as it sucks to get rejected, I am really happy that this is one school I don't have a question mark hanging over, unlike the 20 other schools that are just going to leave my app under review until the end of time.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd rather have a rejection now as opposed to a rejection in March. As much as it sucks to get rejected, I am really happy that this is one school I don't have a question mark hanging over, unlike the 20 other schools that are just going to leave my app under review until the end of time.
I'm still waiting from both campuses. Hoping for the best but trying to have a sense of humor about all of it

II for CO! Super excited since their process seems so random, I thought it would be a rejection.

3.87 GPA; 3.86 sGPA; 504 MCAT; IL resident; secondary submitted 6/28

Currently an OMS-II at RVUCOM, and I can say that at the moment, any "money-making schemes" that are present play very little to no role in your education (in your first two years. After that, things are drastically different, and I can't speak for anyone who is going through or have gone through clinical rotations). I personally love the staff/faculty at RVUCOM-CO, and they really do their best to help every student succeed. The opening of new campuses, like the Utah one, as well as MSBS and PA programs can be seen as money making schemes (and I can't speak for those in the new programs, specifically), but in terms of the education you'll receive in the first two years, it's as great as they come.
As some have already said, the admin is very receptive to suggestions, and the school is constantly changing the way its various curriculum are run in order to improve it. For some, this might be confusing to have things change from how they were the previous year, while for others this is a good thing. But at the least, I can at least say that they make great attempts to improve the education and how we students learn here.

-- Disclaimer: I won't be able to comment on how things are going for current first years, in terms of sharing lectures between and with the Utah campus. I can, however, share that by a couple months in, the majority of people stop showing up for class and instead opt to view lectures online at their own speed and time. Seeing as I am one of these people, I can't imagine finding the sharing of lectures too distracting. But, as someone has already said, would be dependent on your own learning style and habits.

Also, for those who are wondering about who gets II and who gets rejected, I would gander a guess that they focus a lot on the personal statement and on secondary essay(s). I myself had pretty mediocre stats, nothing phenomenal (from what I remember, GPA was around 3.5, old MCAT score-- 27 which I THINK is equivalent to around 502/503 for the new one?). And yes, unless RVUCOM has changed its ways, they do take a large percentage of their Interview candidates -- around 75-80%, from what I've heard. So in other words, the moment you step onto campus, they want you to know that they already like you and already think you're a fit for their school (they made this very clear on my interview day). By the time you get there, they just want to meet you, and essentially make sure you're the person they think you are on paper -- the way I see it, they can only make such a decision if they put a lot of weight on your essays. And at the same time, they could very well be looking for something specific from there -- that, I suppose, is a mystery only the admissions committee would be able to solve.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention earlier, but I'm from the west coast, California. And a large number (I would say almost half) of my own classmates are from out of state.

Last edited:
I'm a first year student at the UT campus. If you have any questions or concerns about RVU, the UT campus, and admissions stuff then feel free to ask and I'll do the best I can to help out.

First rejection of the cycle came from here yesterday. Good Luck!!

Hey everyone! I am a first year at the Utah campus and I just wanted to say good luck to all of you applying! RVU is an amazing school and I am so glad that I came here. I just wanted to reach out and offer any help to those who are applying and to those who are about to interview! I was fortunate enough to be accepted to both campuses early in the cycle last year and even though I interviewed at some DO's and a couple MD's, RVU was always my choice. So please, feel free to PM me or just reply to this message!

Once again, good luck!

Man I sure would like a secondary.... I can't think of a reason I'd be auto screened. My MCAT wasn't accepted by aacomas yet when I applied, but it was the next day, so it's been a bit over a week. Do secondaries take longer at this point in the season or something?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Man I sure would like a secondary.... I can't think of a reason I'd be auto screened. My MCAT wasn't accepted by aacomas yet when I applied, but it was the next day, so it's been a bit over a week. Do secondaries take longer at this point in the season or something?

My RVU secondary came in almost a week after my first wave. I wouldn't sweat it with a 3.1 / 512, personally.

My RVU secondary came in almost a week after my first wave. I wouldn't sweat it with a 3.1 / 512, personally.
thanks that makes me feel a ton better!!!

II today! So excited!

Finally Complete both UT and CO without a rejection. Its the little things.

Finally complete at CO. Probably going to get that rejection soon like UT lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I want to clarify this and some other misconceptions here. Because of a previous job I am privy to some information when it comes to funding of schools. First of all, the reason the school is private is due to the money it used to open. It was not funded by the government but rather through private funds. As of now, there is no difference between this school and any other. Secondly, the reason the campuses currently function as they do has to do with Title IV funding. If they had opened Utah as a separate campus that independently operated from the Colorado campus it would not be Title IV approved. This means no VA and no federal grants/loans. I can't speak to how you'll handle video lectures or not having on campus professors. That's a personal decision that will be up to you.

Does anyone know how strict they are about their prereqs? They require 12 credits in "general biology," physiology doesn't count? I can call on Monday, but it's Friday night and I thought maybe someone would know.

Does anyone know how strict they are about their prereqs? They require 12 credits in "general biology," physiology doesn't count? I can call on Monday, but it's Friday night and I thought maybe someone would know.
I asked a rep who came to my school once specifically about physiology and she said it would count for what it's worth, but obviously people can be mistaken when asked questions on the fly.

Should I even bother filling out my secondary here? 3.85 sGPA 3.87 cGPA 508 MCAT OOS. I was a health science major and therefore have no upper-level "bio" classes. Also took all prereqs except biochem at Community college. Judging by last year's thread, they love to see upper level bio and rigorous course load.