2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received for UT campus!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
(Please note there is no word limit)

If not currently in school, what have you been doing since you were a full-time student?
Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?
*Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?
*Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's Utah Campus?
*What unique characteristics, abilities, or skills will you bring to RVUCOM and the Osteopathic Profession?

Have you ever been convicted with a criminal offense? Failure to disclose could result in the revocation of your acceptance to RVU. Further, any incidences occurring after acceptance and prior to matriculation must also be brought immediately to the attention of the Executive Director of Enrollment Management, Marketing, and External Relations Any incident occurring while you are a student at RVU must be reported immediately to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. An additional background check will be run prior to starting clinical rotations at the end of your second year. Any blemish on the background check may result in dismissal from RVU, failure to be accepted for clinical rotations, not being considered for a residency program, or failure to receive a license to practice medicine. RVU reserves the right to request additional information as needed regarding anything appearing on the background check and is not responsible for consequences occurring as a result of any information contained on any background check. If Yes explain completely.

Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

In regards to the "Why do you want to be an Osteopathic Physician?" prompt, are ya'll just writing about your experiences with osteopathic medicine and how it's inspired you, etc. etc.? Or are you treating it like another PS, or are you copying and pasting your PS?

Just got an email rejecting me from the CO campus! good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email rejecting me from the CO campus! good luck!
Got the same email, it says the reason is probably because they haven't received the MCAT score yet, which is weird because it's definitely on my AACOMAS application.

I got the rejection email as well from Colorado campus. My MCAT and GPA goes well above their minimum requirements. Wondering if this is a glitch....

Got the same email, it says the reason is probably because they haven't received the MCAT score yet, which is weird because it's definitely on my AACOMAS application.
I got the same email stating the same reason why they will not continue with my application :/ This is strange

I'm going to reach out and see if this was intentional. Worst case scenario, I just got my first of many rejections! :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
I received a secondary for the CO campus

Secondary from CO campus. 3.09 cGPA
3.24 sGPA
511 MCAT
URM with a strong upward trend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Got a reply to my email. Apparently today was the first day they downloaded the applications and they haven't finished syncing the scores with the applications. The person who responded said I should expect a supplemental application to go out within the next week or so.

Reactions: 2 users
In regards to the "Why do you want to be an Osteopathic Physician?" prompt, are ya'll just writing about your experiences with osteopathic medicine and how it's inspired you, etc. etc.? Or are you treating it like another PS, or are you copying and pasting your PS?

Writing about my experience on the receiving end of osteopathic care and what I learned from shadowing a DO. Connecting that with why it reinforces my mission to pursue a career as an osteopathic physician.

C/p from what's already written may look uninspired when they end up reviewing all our material. I think it would be beneficial to show yet another angle as to why you're interested in osteopathic med.

How are people listing their LORs in the secondary?

I have a committee letter/packet coming from AACOMAS. Should I just put the names of the authors of the specific LORs that are included that fulfill RVUCOM's requirements?

How are people listing their LORs in the secondary?

I have a committee letter/packet coming from AACOMAS. Should I just put the names of the authors of the specific LORs that are included that fulfill RVUCOM's requirements?
Same question. I have a committee letter and don't know who to list as my letter writers...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Secondaries submitted for CO and UT!

Yes, my pre med advisor is head of the committee. He takes all my letters of rec and attaches them to his. So I have one huge letter with 8+ contributers...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

I would put his contact info down. That's what my program told me to do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is anyone else having website refresh syndrome? I keep refreshing SDN to see if anyone else has received IIs. And I also keep refreshing all my school portals.

Is anyone else having website refresh syndrome? I keep refreshing SDN to see if anyone else has received IIs. And I also keep refreshing all my school portals.

We're on the same boat

How are/did people fill out the "any additional information" prompt in the secondary? Not sure if I should fill it out or leave it blank..

How are/did people fill out the "any additional information" prompt in the secondary? Not sure if I should fill it out or leave it blank..

I added a short paragraph on some personal attributes and how they match with practicing as a DO, since I hadn't put it elsewhere. I'd be hesitant to ever leave an optional essay blank.

I added a short paragraph on some personal attributes and how they match with practicing as a DO, since I hadn't put it elsewhere. I'd be hesitant to ever leave an optional essay blank.

I felt like I answered this question in my PS as well as other essays. Maybe it was bad to leave blank, but I didn't want to sound redundant!

I felt like I answered this question in my PS as well as other essays. Maybe it was bad to leave blank, but I didn't want to sound redundant!
Yeah, I feel like I answered the personal attributes that match me with the osteopathic philosophy. I mean, the essay right before it literally asks you that exact question. I'm leaning towards leaving it blank so that I don't sound redundant, or maybe just writing a short sentence or two to summarize myself as an applicant.

It's completely fine to leave it blank as long as your other sections are in tact. No need to overthink this.

This might be a stupid question, but in regards to the prompt asking "Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's UT/CO campus?", should I also address why I want to go to RVUCOM in general or should I only address why I want to go to that specific campus?

I submitted and left that optional question blank. I already said everything I needed to say, and I didn't want to seem redundant.
This might be a stupid question, but in regards to the prompt asking "Why do you wish to attend RVUCOM's UT/CO campus?", should I also address why I want to go to RVUCOM in general or should I only address why I want to go to that specific campus?
I think both, that's what I did.

I just received a secondary from the CO campus a week after receiving an email rejecting me lol

Reactions: 4 users
I just received a secondary from the CO campus a week after receiving an email rejecting me lol

Still only in the first month of the application cycle and you're already changing the minds of med schools--way to go!

Looks like they unrejected me. Secondary received.

Reactions: 5 users
Still only in the first month of the application cycle and you're already changing the minds of med schools--way to go!

Haha anything is possible when you believe in magic.

Reactions: 2 users