2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mayo's waitlist isn't ranked. As I understand it, the waitlist is used to maintain class composition. We'll get a call if a student similar to us drops out.
As far as we know, they say unranked. But from my understanding last year and the year before both got emails in mid April saying “you’ve been highly positioned”. My guess is there is an internal ranking of some sorts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Lmao as the lowest MCAT score accepted (I'm assuming) I will decline your request. I am gonna be the world's okayest Mayo student.
lol I need a veteran who has a mediocre MCAT score and a decent GPA to drop lol keep an eye out at second look for us

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo's waitlist isn't ranked. As I understand it, the waitlist is used to maintain class composition. We'll get a call if a student similar to us drops out.

You are correct, the waitlist isn't ranked. That is, until late April/May comes around. The committee keeps the waitlist unranked until the end so that they can properly gauge interest level and who they feel will fit best at Mayo out of the pool of interested waitlisted applicants. They then meet and finalize the waitlist - they know who they're offering positions to and in what order before the decision day in May occurs. That way they are prepared to offer positions as positions become available. They don't offer waitlist positions on the basis of maintaining class composition.

Several waitlist applicants will likely receive an email from Dr. Bostwick about 1.5 weeks prior to decision day in May asking them if they are still interested in attending Mayo. These will be the first people on the WL and the first people offered positions.

Reactions: 3 users
Several waitlist applicants will likely receive an email from Dr. Bostwick about 1.5 weeks prior to decision day in May asking them if they are still interested in attending Mayo. These will be the first people on the WL and the first people offered positions.

damn dude the pressure is up on these emails again! I really don't know how much more I can tell them that they're my number one lol. Here's to hoping that many of us are Highly ranked once more. ladies and gents it's almost zero hour *intense dramatic music*

Reactions: 2 users
Remember it's never to late to win her back!
ZomboMeme 04042018223817.jpg

You are correct, the waitlist isn't ranked. That is, until late April/May comes around. The committee keeps the waitlist unranked until the end so that they can properly gauge interest level and who they feel will fit best at Mayo out of the pool of interested waitlisted applicants. They then meet and finalize the waitlist - they know who they're offering positions to and in what order before the decision day in May occurs. That way they are prepared to offer positions as positions become available. They don't offer waitlist positions on the basis of maintaining class composition.

Very informative. Thank you very much!

Thank you! What do you mean by "decision day?" Do you mean like the April 30th date where applicants have to pick one school?

Reactions: 1 user
damn dude the pressure is up on these emails again! I really don't know how much more I can tell them that they're my number one lol. Here's to hoping that many of us are Highly ranked once more. ladies and gents it's almost zero hour *intense dramatic music*
Mayo is like the girl (or guy) you pine over for years, and then you finally get her and...well, she's exactly what you always wanted haha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 11.52.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 11.52.20 AM.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
For those wondering about waitlist movement last year - I compiled all the posts from last year's thread! At this point I'm trying to not read too much into last years cycle, but my curiosity got the best of me.

Still hoping for the best, and good luck to my fellow waitlist-ers!

And just to add, I would say about half my class (if not more) came off the WL! Keep hope :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t be surprised if their yield went up significantly this year because of the rankings shakeup though.
sure the yield might go up but the arbitrary rankings of a third party organization aren't the only thing people used to decide on which schools they decide to go. I think "fit" is the most important part in deciding on which school you should end up at and that's hard to quantify.

sure the yield might go up but the arbitrary rankings of a third party organization aren't the only thing people used to decide on which schools they decide to go. I think "fit" is the most important part in deciding on which school you should end up at and that's hard to quantify.
I share your hope but fear that USNWR has a big impact on how premeds make decisions. In reality Mayo is no better or worse than it was last year but god knows many applicants will think differently.

I share your hope but fear that USNWR has a big impact on how premeds make decisions. In reality Mayo is no better or worse than it was last year but god knows many applicants will think differently.

It does, but I don’t think yield would go higher than 70-80% which is still a good 20 spots or so.

AA768094-670E-4F96-975F-CCAB6486EFAF.jpeg

All I know is that this is me to Mayo. Lol I’m tempted to start actually send them pics of my dog

And just to add, I would say about half my class (if not more) came off the WL! Keep hope :)
It does, but I don’t think yield would go higher than 70-80% which is still a good 20 spots or so.

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to all of you on the application cycle! I'm a current post-match fourth year in the MN campus. I honestly believe that if you want to go to a top program in your field of interest, it's hard to come by a hospital with more resources - if you the have initiative.

If anyone has any questions on my decision/experience, feel free to shoot me a message :)

Withdrew today (along with my full scholarship) since I'll be heading elsewhere! Very best of luck to everyone heading here or still on the waitlist -- I'm sorry we won't be classmates after this whole long ride.

Reactions: 4 users
How many people went to SL? And did they mention anything about how many people are still holding acceptances?

Hey everyone, so 29ish students showed up. I talked to several students there who still were undecided. The majority of us were committed though. Second look went great. There were a lot of information sessions, financial aid discussions, and meet and greets. The class is great and so is the Faculty. We got an opportunity to shadow a physician (they did their best to make it a physician in a specialty we were interested in). The staff highlighted the positives with Mayo. Pretty standard second look (as standard as a phenomenal school like this can be).

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Hey everyone, so 29ish students showed up. I talked to several students there who still were undecided. The majority of us were committed though. Second look went great. There were a lot of information sessions, financial aid discussions, and meet and greets. The class is great and so is the Faculty. We got an opportunity to shadow a physician (they did their best to make it a physician in a specialty we were interested in). The staff highlighted the positives with Mayo. Pretty standard second look (as standard as a phenomenal school like this can be).

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.
Thank you for this! Do you know if they mentioned how many people are still holding acceptances?

Thank you for this! Do you know if they mentioned how many people are still holding acceptances?
They didn't mention it to me at least. Just that there were 29 people signed up.

Sorry if this has already been asked but does anyone know if there's a Mayo class of 2022 facebook page? I'm only seeing one for the Arizona campus D:

Sorry if this has already been asked but does anyone know if there's a Mayo class of 2022 facebook page? I'm only seeing one for the Arizona campus D:

Yes there is one. Feel free to PM me and I will hep you out.

Hey everyone, I withdrew earlier this week. It was a difficult decision, but my heart pulled me elsewhere. I do hope to perhaps return to Mayo for future training.

Best of luck to each of you!!

Hey everyone, I withdrew earlier this week. It was a difficult decision, but my heart pulled me elsewhere. I do hope to perhaps return to Mayo for future training.

Best of luck to each of you!!
Good luck where ever you go!

Just got another email asking current level of interest. Did everyone else on the waitlist get this?

Just got another email asking current level of interest. Did everyone else on the waitlist get this?
I have not so it is likely that that is the email Darkprince was referring to. Congratulations!

I have not so it is likely that that is the email Darkprince was referring to. Congratulations!
I hope so! FYI it was just for the 2+2 program, so I don’t know if main campus emails were sent out.

Well, the rumor at 2nd look was that 1 of the 4 2+2 withdrew. The other 3 are awesome and going for sure though.

Didn't get an email and applied 2+2.. outlook looks ominous from here!

Received highly interested email a couple months back

So just to keep people informed, there has been communication about the waitlist sent out. A form of waitlist “continued interest” letters were sent out to a select few individuals just as in previous years.

Didn't get an email and applied 2+2.. outlook looks ominous from here!

Received highly interested email a couple months back

First time poster, but I'm in the same boat as you! I applied 2+2 and received the highly interested email a while back

So just to keep people informed, there has been communication about the waitlist sent out. A form of waitlist “continued interest” letters were sent out to a select few individuals just as in previous years.
Source? I appreciate you for keeping us updated, but this is probably going to make hundreds of people neurotic.

It was for the regular program. And it’s a first person source, I was fortunate enough to receive one. Sorry if the post caused more harm than good.

Reactions: 4 users
It was for the regular program. And it’s a first person source, I was fortunate enough to receive one. Sorry if the post caused more harm than good.
Has someone else received a letter from Mayo or just this good fellow.

Edit: Please PM me if you want privacy

Last edited:
I’d be happy to PM those interested. In respect to Mayo’s privacy that’s probably better.