2017-2018 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any OOS people get an II here?

Members don't see this ad.

Has CM rejected anyone pre-II who was complete in August?
Complete mid-Aug and nothing yet.
Got moved to "Under review" today and I'm OOS - completed secondary 8/28

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Current M1 here. To address a common theme that often comes up during the application process, I wanted to share the following:

1) As someone mentioned, the process is not at all linear. There is not a set, standard timeframe in which you will hear back
2) CMU prides itself on its transparency; they will not silent reject you.
3) Admissions will update you on your application as soon as a decision is made on it.
4) We have so many more applications to go through this year compared to last year. And because so many elements are being considered and compared, they want to make sure everyone's application is given a fair assessment, and thus the process can't be rushed.
5) If you have not heard back yet, consider no news good news because that means your application is still in consideration and being reviewed. :)

Best of luck to you all! Let me know if I can help answer any other questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't know if this has been stated elsewhere but came across this informative link while doing some digging before my interview: Your Path to the College of Medicine | Central Michigan University. CM apparently doesn't factor in your GPA and MCAT when sending out IIs. Pretty neat!
So I went through that link. I’m confused. So when do they look at cGPA and MCAT? I didn’t see them in any of the stages? So MCAT then doesn’t matter is what I understand?

So I went through that link. I’m confused. So when do they look at cGPA and MCAT? I didn’t see them in any of the stages? So MCAT then doesn’t matter is what I understand?
Hmm, maybe in the prelim screening?

How long did it take for your application to become "under review"? I've been at application complete for almost two months.

Hi everyone! Current M1 here. To address a common theme that often comes up during the application process, I wanted to share the following:

1) As someone mentioned, the process is not at all linear. There is not a set, standard timeframe in which you will hear back
2) CMU prides itself on its transparency; they will not silent reject you.
3) Admissions will update you on your application as soon as a decision is made on it.
4) We have so many more applications to go through this year compared to last year. And because so many elements are being considered and compared, they want to make sure everyone's application is given a fair assessment, and thus the process can't be rushed.
5) If you have not heard back yet, consider no news good news because that means your application is still in consideration and being reviewed. :)

Best of luck to you all! Let me know if I can help answer any other questions.
do you know how if important CAS
Hmm, maybe in the prelim screening?

I called CMU about this before and admissions said that MCAT/GPA is factored in during the post-II stage (i.e. when determining who to actually admit). Their criteria for sending IIs is based on everything else in your application. The MCAT / GPA are also used in the initial stages (pre-secondary) as well but their cutoffs are quite low so getting a secondary doesn't mean much.

Reactions: 1 users
do you know how if important CAS

I called CMU about this before and admissions said that MCAT/GPA is factored in during the post-II stage (i.e. when determining who to actually admit). Their criteria for sending IIs is based on everything else in your application. The MCAT / GPA are also used in the initial stages (pre-secondary) as well but their cutoffs are quite low so getting a secondary doesn't mean much.
I'd imagine Casper is also used in some mysterious way as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for everyone's supplemental application review to be complete? The full 8 weeks or...?

How long did it take for everyone's supplemental application review to be complete? The full 8 weeks or...?
Mine was complete relatively quickly, but it's been almost two months and still not under review.

Mine was complete relatively quickly, but it's been almost two months and still not under review.
I meant the review that determines if you get an II (the one you're still waiting on)

I meant the review that determines if you get an II (the one you're still waiting on)
Ahhh I see now. So it took you 2 months to become under review and may take another 8 weeks for the review to be completed? Oh boy I better get comfy.

Ahhh I see now. So it took you 2 months to become under review and may take another 8 weeks for the review to be completed? Oh boy I better get comfy.
Yup! I'm hoping it doesn't take the whole 8 weeks :confused:

Do you get a call or email if you are accepted??

My portal says review is complete. How long does it take for an II?

For those interviewing on 11/10 - does anyone want to coordinate/split travel and/or lodging? I am flying into either Lansing or GRR and renting a car. Splitting costs would be ideal since money is tight. Let me know! :)

On the flip side, are there any IS folks that are driving in from surrounding cities?

I am flying into Lansing and have already prepaid for a rental car if you still are looking to split and ride with someone!

Anyone know if the interview decision pending update is considered an application hold?

When I called, they just told me that you can be waiting until February for an II decision. Not sure if that means they will reject beforehand or not.

My portal says review is complete. How long does it take for an II?
Depends on the strength of your application. I don't think anyone on this thread can give you a definitive timeline other than to say you may be waiting until February. If you're a borderline candidate, you will likely have to wait longer than someone who is an obvious yes or obvious rejection. Having said that, I've been stuck on the "review is complete" status since early August (submitted secondary in mid July).

Hello everyone, my application was complete on 8/30, however its been over 2 months and I'm still not under review.
Should I be concerned?

Hello everyone, my application was complete on 8/30, however its been over 2 months and I'm still not under review.
Should I be concerned?
I was complete 8/24 and just got switched to under review 1 week ago

Does anyone know if there is a match list floating around for CMU? I've found some articles online but none of them have a great amount of detail.

For those of you who have interviewed, how long did it take for the green checkmark to appear on the "interview complete" icon? I interviewed last week and it still hasn't showed that it is complete.

The "interview" check might take up to a week to update, but Admissions normally updates within 3 days or so. If your icon still is not showing green by Wednesday, you might want to call and ask.

Best of luck to everyone who interviewed on Friday! It was a pleasure meeting all of you for tours and answering your questions at the Q&A panel. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about the program or the school - there are a lot of CMED students on this board and we're all here to help!

The "interview" check might take up to a week to update, but Admissions normally updates within 3 days or so. If your icon still is not showing green by Wednesday, you might want to call and ask.

Best of luck to everyone who interviewed on Friday! It was a pleasure meeting all of you for tours and answering your questions at the Q&A panel. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about the program or the school - there are a lot of CMED students on this board and we're all here to help!

do you know how long it takes to go from complete to review?

do you know how long it takes to go from complete to review?
Do you mean from "application complete" to "under review," or "interview complete" to committee review and decision? If the former, usually about 6-8 weeks. Once you're under review, you may get an II anytime from "under review" to mid-February. If you're talking about the time from interviewing till the next ADCOM admissions meeting, they should tell you the date of the next ADCOM meeting on your interview day - it's usually 2-3 weeks after you interview.

Hope this helps!

It says application review complete and interview decision pending. I wonder how long this will take :/

I received this email today and I thought I would share. I am an M3 at CMED and I don't come on here often, but PM me if you have questions about anything.

The NBME Step 1 interim report for the Class of 2019 was released on October 19, 2017. The CMU College of Medicine’s first-time pass rate is 98%, which compares favorably with the national pass rate of 96%. The minimum passing score for Step is 192. The College of Medicine’s Class of 2019 had a mean score of 230, which is at the national mean of 230. College of Medicine student performance has increased from last year, where the mean score was 222±22 versus 228± 21 nationally.

Reactions: 4 users
II today. IS. Is anyone who received the II today going to the interview tomorrow (11/10) ? I don't feel prepared to go tomorrow but 11/17 doesn't really work well for me.2

II! I chose the Nov 17th one! Anyone else attending that day?

II today. IS. Is anyone who received the II today going to the interview tomorrow (11/10) ? I don't feel prepared to go tomorrow but 11/17 doesn't really work well for me.2

Do you mind asking what your stats were? I'm applying next cycle, also IS. However from reading through the thread I feel like I saw a trend of IS applicants with good states not getting II. I always though us Michiganders had it good but it seems like a lot of people that are IS for the MI school threads I'm stalking aren't doing as hot as I thought.

Any insider insight?

Do you mind asking what your stats were? I'm applying next cycle, also IS. However from reading through the thread I feel like I saw a trend of IS applicants with good states not getting II. I always though us Michiganders had it good but it seems like a lot of people that are IS for the MI school threads I'm stalking aren't doing as hot as I thought.

Any insider insight?

sGPA 3.35 cGPA 3.54 MCAT 514. I don't think simply having good stats will get someone an II since a lot of med school applicants are expected to have good stats anyway. Some schools can get as much as 10,000 applications per cycle and interview less than 10% of its applicants. I'd assume that at least 2,000 (top 20%) of those will have an MCAT score of at least 510. Even if they put a cut-off for interviewing at 510, only half of the top 20% are getting interviews. So in my opinion, the good stats will make you make you eligible, but it's the other factors (good personal statement, EC, clinical experience, research, etc.) that will earn you an interview and possibly an acceptance.

Any insider insight?
I have a 515/3.7+ and recently got an II here. I'm not sure what you consider good though.

Last edited:
I have a 515/3.7 and recently got an II here. I'm not sure what you consider good though.

That is very good. Especially compared to CMU avg. stats. I don't understand how their average is like 504 when I've seen multiple people 510+ get no II or II then reject (not just this year, I stalked last years thread).