2017-2018 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is very good. Especially compared to CMU avg. stats. I don't understand how their average is like 504 when I've seen multiple people 510+ get no II or II then reject (not just this year, I stalked last years thread).
(reminder: I'm a current CMed M2)

The loudest people are usually those who are confident and with high scores. Plus, here in the digital realm, anyone can have any score they want without being called out for lying. I wouldn't judge the trends of school based on these threads... especially when you consider that 200+ have been interviewed so far this season, over 6000 have applied. SDN is a very very very small sampling of these numbers. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That is very good. Especially compared to CMU avg. stats. I don't understand how their average is like 504 when I've seen multiple people 510+ get no II or II then reject (not just this year, I stalked last years thread).
CMU and many other schools are very mission-oriented. I'm sure some of those applicants that you are referring to had the right stats, but not the right supporting activities to convey why they would be a good fit for the school.

Reactions: 1 user
(reminder: I'm a current CMed M2)

The loudest people are usually those who are confident and with high scores. Plus, here in the digital realm, anyone can have any score they want without being called out for lying. I wouldn't judge the trends of school based on these threads... especially when you consider that 200+ have been interviewed so far this season, over 6000 have applied. SDN is a very very very small sampling of these numbers. :)
Do you have any tips for the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
CMU and many other schools are very mission-oriented. I'm sure some of those applicants that you are referring to had the right stats, but not the right supporting activities to convey why they would be a good fit for the school.
Spot on!
Do you have any tips for the interview?
1. Be yourself, be genuine, and relax.
2. Know what your body language is saying (arms crossed leaning back means you're detached, disinterested, potentially defensive vs leaning forward with arms not crossed shows interest and open-ness. Looking up and out shows desire to leave, looking down and in/out shows thoughtfullness - Princess Diana did this quite a lot. This is a very good body language hack, because you will have to take moments to think during your interview... and you don't want to look scared or distant)
3. Know the school's mission, if it fits your own interests be very good at being able to quickly and effectively explaining that. However, do not be too rehearsed, it will sound like you made **** up to try and manipulate the school. This is a very fine line.
4. If you have a MMI question that you don't know, or don't understand... it might be better to admit that, then try to work through the scenario. And: ask what the interviewer thinks (this worked VERY well for me at my interview several years ago when the MMI asked about transplants and I honestly didn't know the process).
5. Have fun. If you're miserable and scared, it will show no matter how hard you try not to.
6. Get some sleep the night before!

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

To anyone that interviewed 10/17: did they say we will hear back 11/13, or that this is the earliest date that will hear back? I can't remember.

To anyone that interviewed 10/17: did they say we will hear back 11/13, or that this is the earliest date that will hear back? I can't remember.
I think they said they have their committee meeting today, and they try to get back to us as soon as possible after that (whether hold, reject, waitlist, or accept). So most likely we'll hear back tomorrow... :nailbiting:

Under review 10/25, review complete and interview decision pending today. I know the timeline is different for everyone, but out of curiosity - for those who have received an II, how much time passed between review complete and II?

Do you mind asking what your stats were? I'm applying next cycle, also IS. However from reading through the thread I feel like I saw a trend of IS applicants with good states not getting II. I always though us Michiganders had it good but it seems like a lot of people that are IS for the MI school threads I'm stalking aren't doing as hot as I thought.

Any insider insight?
Note that the admissions committee doesn't actually look at your GPA/MCAT until after the interview (look at the "Your Path to the College of Medicine" page on the admissions website). At the "Application Review" step it says, "At this stage in the review process your cumulative GPA and MCAT score are not reviewed. The committee will review your personal statement, experiences and activities, secondary application, letters of recommendation, and academic record." Pretty interesting!

Note that the admissions committee doesn't actually look at your GPA/MCAT until after the interview (look at the "Your Path to the College of Medicine" page on the admissions website). At the "Application Review" step it says, "At this stage in the review process your cumulative GPA and MCAT score are not reviewed. The committee will review your personal statement, experiences and activities, secondary application, letters of recommendation, and academic record." Pretty interesting!

That is very interesting. Do you think many of the high state rejections were due to them simply reviewing those details and deciding they didn't like the lack of ECs or community service? Or possibly like a negative letter?

That is very interesting. Do you think many of the high state rejections were due to them simply reviewing those details and deciding they didn't like the lack of ECs or community service? Or possibly like a negative letter?
Potentially! (though I'm not an admissions committee member so I don't know for sure ;)) I don't think it'd be anything as severe as a negative letter; it's probably more like seeing if the information they glean from the letters, activities, personal statement, etc. aligns with their mission and the community of the school. To me it seems like that information gives a better feel for an applicant's overall "fit" for a school as opposed to MCAT score and GPA. But as with any school, there are some people who meet what the admissions committee is looking for, and some people who don't - regardless of stats!

Hoping today will be the day - I keep refreshing my email every five minutes lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Application put on hold for re-review. Interviewed 10/17.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist! I guess I’ll take it after being on hold and then rejected last year..

My application was placed on hold, as well.

**Edit: Just received an email saying that the hold was a mistake, and that my status hasn't changed from interview complete. I was wondering how they made a decision so fast, seeing as I interviewed last Friday! :p

Last edited:
Received a phone call this afternoon from the admissions team to offer an II for this Friday! Sounds like they had someone drop out, and they wanted to fill the spot. LizzyM 70-72, complete 7/31.

ACCEPTED! Interviewed 11/3. IS Applicant

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted this morning! Interviewed 11/3, got the email around 11am this morning. OOS applicant.

Status finally switched from App Complete to Under Review! Here's to another 8 weeks of "patiently" waiting.

Does anyone know if there is another CMU campus aside from Mount pleasant one? I read something about the east and west CMU campuses and apparently the east campus is at Saginaw, MI. I'm wondering if that is actually a pre-clinical campus or just a hospital where students do rotations. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Does anyone know if there is another CMU campus aside from Mount pleasant one? I read something about the east and west CMU campuses and apparently the east campus is at Saginaw, MI. I'm wondering if that is actually a pre-clinical campus or just a hospital where students do rotations. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks
The Saginaw campus is for the M3/M4 students, and is located on the grounds of Covenant Hospital, which is where home clinical rotations are taken. M1/M2 students are entirely located on the Mt. Pleasant campus.

Hope this helps!

(Current M1 here)

Congrats to everyone accepted, on hold or waitlisted. I know that hold/waitlist may not be the exact response that you wanted - but it's not a "no"!

For those who are still waiting to hear back, I cannot stress enough the lack of correlation between grades/LizzyM scores (idk what those even are)/MCAT scores there are with acceptances. The application review process has about 25+ pieces to the puzzle and you will see people with low mcats/gpas and those with high ones. and there's no rhyme or rhythm to it. there's a reason they make you do the CASPer, MMIs, send in letters of rec, write essays and share your extracurrics.

Also, the people in our class are very diverse - CMU is not looking for a specific cookie cutter applicant so don't let the numbers discourage you and most importantly (i promise this will be crucial when you are actually in medical school) - DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER PEOPLE :)

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know if theres a Facebook page or anything?

Trying to book an interview date but it is not showing any availability - anyone have this experience before?

Anyone know if theres a Facebook page or anything?

You will receive an email from Chris Austin with more details on joining the official Facebook group. Not sure when, but he takes care of that.

Yup! There was one date open - Dec 1st, and now its showing nothing available :(

So after getting accepted and accepting the offer, do I have to do anything? I havent recieved the official letter in the mail yet and its been a month now. Should I be worried or do they send them out later on?

So after getting accepted and accepting the offer, do I have to do anything? I havent recieved the official letter in the mail yet and its been a month now. Should I be worried or do they send them out later on?
^^ I'm in the same boat.

Congratulations to both of you on your acceptances!!!

Official packages can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to arrive once you've accepted your offer online. I remember haunting my mailbox for ages. :) If you're a couple of months out and you still haven't gotten anything, give OSA a call.

Does anyone know if CMU accepts pre-II loi's/update letters?

Hey guys!, I'm sure this questioned has been answered before but I have my interview scheduled for this Friday and although the person I spoke to said it was mainly MMI format with group activities, I wanted to ask if you have any tips for me? I have four days to prepare

Received this message today - Your supplemental application review is complete but an interview decision is pending. While we make every effort to provide application decisions in a timely manner, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February.

So am I on hold for a pre-interview invite? Is there any good to come out of this?