2021-2022 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Take this with a couple grains of salt, but I would recommend sending sooner rather than later so adcom’s have a higher chance of reading it before they start picking from the waitlist.
I appreciate that, thank you! I was leaning in that direction but was worried about sending it too early...which probably isn't even a thing, I'm just majorly overthinking everything at this point in the cycle lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IIRC, WL movement started mid-April-ish last year (honestly I'm too lazy to go look through last year's thread). Cause I think AAMC's deadline to pick 3 school is April 15th (that's what it was for me last year) and then April 31st is the date you have to pick one school to PTE at and drop all other A's (and then each school has their own CTE deadline which, for us last year, I think was July 1st or something like that).

So most schools start seeing WL movement in mid-April when people start dropping A's, then from there it only picks up. So no, there's never "too soon" to send one IMO.

• Love
has anyone seen the CMU 2022 match anywhere? I know they don't publish it publically but I'm curious to see it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! Has anyone received a decision recently??
Based on what I saw on last year's thread, there weren't really any non-WL decisions between end of March and end of April. I know that sdn is a small percentage of the applicant pool, so we can't be 100% certain that no decisions are going out at all, but it does give us a rough timeframe. Sometimes I wonder if this year-long process is just the adcoms forcing us to learn patience :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Based on what I saw on last year's thread, there weren't really any non-WL decisions between end of March and end of April. I know that sdn is a small percentage of the applicant pool, so we can't be 100% certain that no decisions are going out at all, but it does give us a rough timeframe. Sometimes I wonder if this year-long process is just the adcoms forcing us to learn patience :rofl:
They said they would get back to people by end of March for March interviewers but idk!

I interviewed on the last interview day (3/11). They told us they still had about 150 applicants to review and hoped to have all decisions by the end of March but that that was more of a guideline than a hard deadline.

That being said, I interviewed in January last year and was told everyone should hear back by the first week of April. I did not receive a response until the first week of May. Although, last year was a crazy year. So who knows how it will be this year.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on the last interview day (3/11). They told us they still had about 150 applicants to review and hoped to have all decisions by the end of March but that that was more of a guideline than a hard deadline.

That being said, I interviewed in January last year and was told everyone should hear back by the first week of April. I did not receive a response until the first week of May. Although, last year was a crazy year. So who knows how it will be this year.
Did you interview in jan, get put on waitlist, then get a response in may? Or no waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking again…anyone with the A received anything from CMU about financial aid (scholarship or loans?)

they said they'd get back to us by the end of March and it's April already....

Today marks 162 days post interview without hearing anything back yet

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Today marks 162 days post interview without hearing anything back yet
I was WL 3 weeks after my mid-Feb. interview so if I were you'd I would definitely reach out and follow up just to make sure your app didn't get lost in the shuffle. You can also check the CYMS tool on AMCAS, I have heard of some people seeing their statuses with a school on there prior to the school reaching out (if they ever did lol). Slim chance you'll see anything on there but worth a shot!

Also interviewed in Oct, still haven't heard back :( Been attending the Road to matriculation, sent two updates, and still no decision. I'm OOS so I wonder if they're waiting even later for OOS students

• Care
Am I under the right assumption that the majority of us that were told we would hear back "beginning of April, but don't bet on that" at the end of our interviews have not heard back yet?

I interviewed 11/12 and got waitlisted 12/6 OOS
Interviewed 2/18 and waitlisted 3/1 (IS). The wait has been brutal and it's only been a month for me--I can't imagine how frustrating it must be waiting 4 or more.

Also interviewed in Oct, still haven't heard back :( Been attending the Road to matriculation, sent two updates, and still no decision. I'm OOS so I wonder if they're waiting even later for OOS students
I am in state and I have been waiting since October.

• Care
IMG_0919.jpg

This is what they sent me

• Care
  • Love
I think last year everyone that still hadn't gotten a decision by now was either WL'd or R'd, unfortunately. Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but figured you'd rather have the info than not. But obviously I don't work for/with or have any involvement with admissions, this is just based off of what I remember from last year. It sucks, but I do know that last year they pulled people very late and most of our class is from the WL.

I emailed admissions asking about my status. They said that I was still under consideration and they hope to have all decisions out within the next few weeks after they have completed their review.

Hope that helps anyone that is still waiting for a decision after their interview.

I emailed admissions asking about my status. They said that I was still under consideration and they hope to have all decisions out within the next few weeks after they have completed their review.

Hope that helps anyone that is still waiting for a decision after their interview.
Thank you for emailing. Their admissions process in particular has really turned me away from the school. I understand continuing to review but I think it is a little rude to leave people who interviewed completely in the dark for months on end.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for emailing. Their admissions process in particular has really turned me away from the school. I understand continuing to review but I think it is a little rude to leave people who interviewed completely in the dark for months on end.
I interviewed in November and I know that some people have been waiting even longer. It is also my last school I’m waiting to hear back from. It feels a little off that their admissions decisions are so delayed for some people. I’d rather be waitlisted and waiting than this!

Just withdrew my acceptance! I was accepted to another school in Michigan that I have decided to attend instead.

After reading the posts of those waiting to hear a decision I decided it would be best to withdraw now opposed to April 30th if it means others may receive that decision sooner. I wish everyone the best, and those with acceptances are lucky to attend, the new health profressions building is quite nice!

Reactions: 10 users
Just withdrew my acceptance! I was accepted to another school in Michigan that I have decided to attend instead.

After reading the posts of those waiting to hear a decision I decided it would be best to withdraw now opposed to April 30th if it means others may receive that decision sooner. I wish everyone the best, and those with acceptances are lucky to attend, the new health profressions building is quite nice!
Thank you so much for thinking of us, and congratulations on your acceptance!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just to plug CMU: the admissions process is hard basically everywhere, and every school does it differently. I had some rough experiences with other schools not telling us when they thought we'd get decisions, then delays and whatnot. However, IMO it's better to be kept in the dark rather than them throw most people on the WL knowing darn well they won't go through most of the WL if they make it that big -so I think waiting to make finalized decisions about R/WL until after the 4/30 deadline when they have a better idea of how many people are planning to enroll here is in some way kinder (if that's what they're doing, I have no idea). Otherwise you'd have way more people on a WL than realistically has a chance of getting in (and like 2/3 of our class is from the WL mind you) and that just seems cruel. I had a school do that last year -they basically just WL everyone who interviews, very few R's and very few A's immediately post-interview, and then wait to start sending acceptances off the WL until the spring, and like EVERYONE is on the WL. That being said, I know sitting in the dark sucks and is hard and I wish there was a way to make this whole process (from med school admissions to the match) better for everyone involved.

I really want to stress that I truly enjoy going here and PLEASE don't let the admissions process negatively impact your view of CMU. The professors are really great, admin is good, and overall it's a really great atmosphere and I'm really really glad I chose to come here. There's plenty of support for students, research opportunities, volunteering, and emphasis on primary care (which, even if you're not interested in that, I think the emphasis makes you a more well-rounded and solid clinician). Admin actually listens to our feedback and institutes changes when possible, which is huge IMO. And we have protected study time every day which is another huge plus, very helpful. Lectures are recorded and not mandatory (though plenty of people do attend lecture).

Everyone who works here truly seems happy to be here, and I can't tell you how much of a morale booster it is to be around faculty/admin/staff who want to see us succeed and are excited to teach us. CMU is very invested in its students' success and I just want to make it clear that -at least from my experiences here- the frustration you are experiencing during admissions is not at all reflective of what I personally have experienced as a student on the other side. Obviously, other students (or future you) may have different views than I do, but I figured I'd share mine. Also, I mean collective 'you,' not singling anybody out. :)

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Just to plug CMU: the admissions process is hard basically everywhere, and every school does it differently. I had some rough experiences with other schools not telling us when they thought we'd get decisions, then delays and whatnot. However, IMO it's better to be kept in the dark rather than them throw most people on the WL knowing darn well they won't go through most of the WL if they make it that big -so I think waiting to make finalized decisions about R/WL until after the 4/30 deadline when they have a better idea of how many people are planning to enroll here is in some way kinder (if that's what they're doing, I have no idea). Otherwise you'd have way more people on a WL than realistically has a chance of getting in (and like 2/3 of our class is from the WL mind you) and that just seems cruel. I had a school do that last year -they basically just WL everyone who interviews, very few R's and very few A's immediately post-interview, and then wait to start sending acceptances off the WL until the spring, and like EVERYONE is on the WL. That being said, I know sitting in the dark sucks and is hard and I wish there was a way to make this whole process (from med school admissions to the match) better for everyone involved.

I really want to stress that I truly enjoy going here and PLEASE don't let the admissions process negatively impact your view of CMU. The professors are really great, admin is good, and overall it's a really great atmosphere and I'm really really glad I chose to come here. There's plenty of support for students, research opportunities, volunteering, and emphasis on primary care (which, even if you're not interested in that, I think the emphasis makes you a more well-rounded and solid clinician). Admin actually listens to our feedback and institutes changes when possible, which is huge IMO. And we have protected study time every day which is another huge plus, very helpful. Lectures are recorded and not mandatory (though plenty of people do attend lecture).

Everyone who works here truly seems happy to be here, and I can't tell you how much of a morale booster it is to be around faculty/admin/staff who want to see us succeed and are excited to teach us. CMU is very invested in its students' success and I just want to make it clear that -at least from my experiences here- the frustration you are experiencing during admissions is not at all reflective of what I personally have experienced as a student on the other side. Obviously, other students (or future you) may have different views than I do, but I figured I'd share mine. Also, I mean collective 'you,' not singling anybody out. :)
I have never heard of another school not telling students the outcome of their interview decision 6 months after the interview, it is unprofessional and causes unnecessary stress to students.

I have never heard of another school not telling students the outcome of their interview decision 6 months after the interview, it is unprofessional and causes unnecessary stress to students.
I know for a fact that Indiana University does this and still has not told people if they are waitlisted, rejected, etc. My friend interviewed in September and still has not heard back.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
It would be one thing if they only did silent rejections and waited until the end of the cycle to issue them. But we've seen from this thread that there are people posting their rejections a few weeks after their interviews. Having the rest of us wait all these months to hold out hope for a WL (that may eventually turn into an acceptance) when we could easily end up just being rejected so late in the game is just wrong.

Everyone's obviously entitled to their own opinions. And for full disclosure, I was very lucky because I found out on 10/15 last year (the first day they could notify about acceptances) that I was accepted. So while I can empathize with you, I wasn't in your boat so obviously there's that. But I was just trying to make the point that while many of you might be frustrated with CMU's admissions communications, just to try to look past that if you end up getting accepted because like I said, I'm very happy that I chose to go here and I hear that from fellow students too.

The other point is, radio silence from schools is not unique to CMU so, again, if you end up with multiple acceptance offers but you liked admissions communication better at another school, I just think that shouldn't be something you really weigh in your decision because like I said, on this side of things I think CMU faculty/admin is great. Whatever selection process they use in admissions (and whether that impacts when they notify applicants), is working for them IMO because our class is very diverse (in all ways, including educational/life backgrounds), we seem to gel together well, and we just seem like a great bunch. Personally, I'd rather them take longer to make decisions and have an amazing class who helps each other, shares resources, sends deadline reminders, and picks each other up when we're down, than for admissions to rush and have a less-than-ideal class. It's very clear that they put A LOT of thought into picking who they pick, and I've definitely benefited from having classmates with various backgrounds/strengths/weaknesses because we all bring something unique and different to the table.

I recognize my humungous bias because I have an acceptance but want to weigh in as I'm also a re-applicant.

I was on a waitlist last year (and this year as well!) from a different school that seems to rarely outright reject post-II applicants, rather placing most post-II applicants on a ***large, unranked*** WL and keeping them on until the class is officially filled, with no idea of our chances of getting off or not. While myself and others were give an official "decision" within weeks of our interviews, we were in limbo for the rest of the cycle, essentially the same as many here who have no official decision. I'm not saying this process is justified - really the whole medical school admissions process tbh - so much that I don't think this is a scenario unique to this school.

I hoped that maybe I'd get off and, clearly, never was. What I'd wished I'd known at that time is that without an acceptance in the first month or two of 2021 was that I should actively be working towards my next application (doing more non-clinical volunteering, refining PS, etc.). I guess what I'm saying is...whether you've gotten a WL or no decision from a school at this point, you should be doing the same thing - preparing for the next cycle. To be clear, I am NOT trying to invalidate how y'all are feeling - that's very real and understandable. Just saying something I'd wished I'd been told last cycle.

I'd imagine they'd have to get everyone at least an initial decision by the 15th, right? It seems like a hard deadline for AMCAS, so hopefully the people who are still waiting for a decision will hear something in the next few days?

I'd imagine they'd have to get everyone at least an initial decision by the 15th, right? It seems like a hard deadline for AMCAS, so hopefully the people who are still waiting for a decision will hear something in the next few days?

April 15th is the CTE deadline I believe, which means anyone holding more than 1 acceptance has to withdraw all acceptances except for 1. However, you can stay on as many WL's as you want until the school you clicked "CTE" at's deadline, which is dependent on individual schools. So schools don't have to notify anyone by 4/15, but that's when you start seeing WL movement as people drop acceptances. But because up until they actually tell you you're accepted (if that's the decision they made), you're not actually accepted so you can CTE elsewhere while you wait to hear back.

April 15th is the CTE deadline I believe, which means anyone holding more than 1 acceptance has to withdraw all acceptances except for 1. However, you can stay on as many WL's as you want until the school you clicked "CTE" at's deadline, which is dependent on individual schools. So schools don't have to notify anyone by 4/15, but that's when you start seeing WL movement as people drop acceptances. But because up until they actually tell you you're accepted (if that's the decision they made), you're not actually accepted so you can CTE elsewhere while you wait to hear back.
I'm not sure that's the case. Based on communications from schools (and AAMC), April 15th is when one needs to narrow their acceptances to no more than 3 programs - which is probably a small proportion of all applicants who have received at least one acceptance. Not saying there aren't some who have A TON (i.e more than 3) acceptances but let's be honest, it's small.

On April 30th is when applicants can only hold onto one acceptance (as well as waitlists). One does not necessarily need to commit to enroll (if they're on waitlists), although if you're certain you're attending a program you should CTE. CMU requires that individuals indicate that they at least Plan to Enroll by this date or else withdraw their acceptance.

Commit to enroll deadlines may vary by program, but CMU requires you to commit to enroll no later than July 1st lest you forfeit your seat.

I'm not sure that's the case. Based on communications from schools (and AAMC), April 15th is when one needs to narrow their acceptances to no more than 3 programs - which is probably a small proportion of all applicants who have received at least one acceptance. Not saying there aren't some who have A TON (i.e more than 3) acceptances but let's be honest, it's small.

On April 30th is when applicants can only hold onto one acceptance (as well as waitlists). One does not necessarily need to commit to enroll (if they're on waitlists), although if you're certain you're attending a program you should CTE. CMU requires that individuals indicate that they at least Plan to Enroll by this date or else withdraw their acceptance.

Commit to enroll deadlines may vary by program, but CMU requires you to commit to enroll no later than July 1st lest you forfeit your seat.
Thanks for the correction, it's been a while lol. Sorry if I caused anyone any panic...

• Care