2017-2018 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for you guys to start being reviewed after completion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACCEPTED!!!! MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!! HaidbagAjavdqizbuhaojwhheajqiwjehdiak

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference between a post-interview hold and a post-interview waitlist?

Hold: The admissions committee has placed your application on hold for further consideration later in the admission cycle. Admission decisions may be made at any time in the process, but may be made as late as May.

Waitlist: Candidates that have been assigned to the waitlist may be offered admission at any time that a vacancy in the class is identified up until the first day of orientation.

I think hold means that you have not been evaluated yet.

Source: Your Path to the College of Medicine | Central Michigan University

Accepted! Somewhat weird that there no was no phone call, just email..

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know when they start pulling people off the waitlist?

anyone know when they start pulling people off the waitlist?

It can happen at any time of year up until the first day of orientation. I know the process can be strenuous, but there is hope with being on the waitlist!

Hi everyone! A little late to the party, but I’m a current M1. More than happy to answer any questions you might have. Best of luck to those applying and to those who will be hearing back soon! :)
Hi,
So I just got accepted and I wanted to see what you think about CMED. Does its curriculum prepare you well for rotations. Do you have any ideas what recent students have scored on their Step 1?

Hold: The admissions committee has placed your application on hold for further consideration later in the admission cycle. Admission decisions may be made at any time in the process, but may be made as late as May.

Waitlist: Candidates that have been assigned to the waitlist may be offered admission at any time that a vacancy in the class is identified up until the first day of orientation.

I think hold means that you have not been evaluated yet.

Source: Your Path to the College of Medicine | Central Michigan University

"Hold" refers to a para-waitlist status where your complete applicant package has been evaluated, but the ADCOM wants to hang onto your application and review you against other students.

In practice, "hold" usually functions like a sub-waitlist, since applicants have to be taken off the hold list and "upgraded" to waitlist. As with any other institution, as prospective students either accept or decline their acceptances, students will be offered acceptance off the waitlist. The ADCOM plans for a certain percentage of declined acceptances, which in turn guides how many waitlist places they'll offer. A certain number of waitlist slots will be reserved for holds, in which everyone in the hold pool will be re-compared to each other to decide who will get a waitlist slot.

Another high-yield point about CMED's hold/waitlist process: our waitlist tends to have a decent amount of movement. A hold/waitlist decision is not a soft rejection. For obvious reasons, it's a bit more uphill to gain a seat from the waitlist, but some of the top students in my class came off the waitlist, and the current M1s are no different.

Hope this helps!

Hi,
So I just got accepted and I wanted to see what you think about CMED. Does its curriculum prepare you well for rotations. Do you have any ideas what recent students have scored on their Step 1?
I don't know the actual scores for the current M3s. That information typically isn't published by any medical school for any number of reasons, which have been addressed at length elsewhere on this site, by far more eloquent people than I. In short, Step 1 scores have very little to do with the "quality" of any given school. Everyone studies from the same resources and does the same Step 1 review - thus a given class's average score will have much more to do with the effort level of students in that class, than with some intrinsic quality of the school.

That said, I do know we have had an upward trend year over year since the founding of the school (and a major jump when they changed the curriculum in 2013-14 - the current M4s were the test class for that). In the last three years we've had clinical rotations, our students tend to perform very, very well on patient care in medical environments (interview, H&P, DDx, diagnostics, patient education, etc). The current M4s identified some weaknesses in the way anatomy was previously taught, which led to a few of them getting pimped in surgical environments; those issues are being addressed for our class. I am confident that by the time I get to surgery, we will know enough to succeed and shine there as well.

From my own perspective as an M2, I would feel exceedingly comfortable in the clinical environment based on what I've learned here, and I think most students would agree. I also appreciate the fact that the school is singularly responsive to student feedback in changing the curriculum to fit what we need to be both successful on boards and successful as practicing clinicians.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for... please feel free to ask if I didn't address your question adequately. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

So the first semester is spent learning foundational sciences - this is all biochem, physiology, immunology, micro, histology, anatomy, etc - everything to help set the FOUNDATION ;) for what you're going to learn in organ system come january. 100% I would feel comfortable with the first two years of medical school after this first semester.

Clinically speaking, you gain clinical exposure your 3rd/4th week of medical school. You're already going in to a simulation clinic (exam rooms where you had your MMI's) and practicing with SP's (standardized patients) so come 3rd year, you're going to be extremely comfortable in a clinical environment. Secondly, your anatomy course is HELLA thorough. Our anatomy professors are AMAZING. No, seriously. I've taken anatomy before and these 3 guys take the cake. Our anatomy course is super well-structured and fairly assessed. And the professors teach it SO well. So come surgery-related clinical experiences, you're being set up very well.

In regards to Step, we've had really high passing scores, I believe our most recent was 98% pass rate plus our first class had 100% match rate.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this advice has got CMU moving up on my list of where I want to study medicine haha. Thanks so much for all of the advice!

Reactions: 2 users
So the first semester is spent learning foundational sciences - this is all biochem, physiology, immunology, micro, histology, anatomy, etc - everything to help set the FOUNDATION ;) for what you're going to learn in organ system come january. 100% I would feel comfortable with the first two years of medical school after this first semester.

Clinically speaking, you gain clinical exposure your 3rd/4th week of medical school. You're already going in to a simulation clinic (exam rooms where you had your MMI's) and practicing with SP's (standardized patients) so come 3rd year, you're going to be extremely comfortable in a clinical environment. Secondly, your anatomy course is HELLA thorough. Our anatomy professors are AMAZING. No, seriously. I've taken anatomy before and these 3 guys take the cake. Our anatomy course is super well-structured and fairly assessed. And the professors teach it SO well. So come surgery-related clinical experiences, you're being set up very well.

In regards to Step, we've had really high passing scores, I believe our most recent was 98% pass rate plus our first class had 100% match rate.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi, I was accepted this week to CMED as well and plan on attending. I'm looking to purchase the anatomy and biochemistry books the M1s use during their first semester in order to brush up on those subjects before matriculating next year. Would you be able to tell me what books you guys use?
Thanks

Just curious, but is anyone else still in the "Interview Decision is pending" status? I've had that for about 2 months, but I'm not too worried because I am OOS without any in-state ties. Just curious if there are anybody else like me, LizzyM is 68

Just curious, but is anyone else still in the "Interview Decision is pending" status? I've had that for about 2 months, but I'm not too worried because I am OOS without any in-state ties. Just curious if there are anybody else like me, LizzyM is 68
OOS 7.5 weeks out from confirmation of received secondary and nothing here

I've been complete since end of August and am still not under review yet. :unsure:

Hi, I was accepted this week to CMED as well and plan on attending. I'm looking to purchase the anatomy and biochemistry books the M1s use during their first semester in order to brush up on those subjects before matriculating next year. Would you be able to tell me what books you guys use?
Thanks

Congrats!!! That's so exciting. Commending you on brushing up on those topics, but don't punish yourself by not giving yourself a decent break/vacation before the school year starts :)

I would only recommend brushing up on topics if you're not coming from a traditional science background or have been out of school for a few years and need the review. In regards to textbooks, you're provided virtual copies of them for free (by free, I mean with tuition). There is no formal anatomy textbook; we use standard atlases, like Netter's, Moore's and Gilroy's. I honestly don't use them lol. We have a cadaver lab and a textbook won't really help in those contexts. In regards to biochem, again we don't have one set textbook. We're given access to about 30+ textbooks and we reference all 30 throughout the week at some point and don't use the entirety of each textbook since we're jumping in between texts.

If you absolutely feel like you need to review biochem, I'd just use your undergrad textbook. Again, if you absolutely MUST. Otherwise, enjoy this time doing other things :)

Last edited:
For those of you who have interviewed and been accepted, how long after the interview did y'all receive the email?

Congrats!!! That's so exciting. Commending you on brushing up on those topics, but don't punish yourself by not giving yourself a decent break/vacation before the school year starts :)

I would only recommend brushing up on topics if you're not coming from a traditional science background or have been out of school for a few years and need the review. In regards to textbooks, you're provided virtual copies of them for free (by free, I mean with tuition). There is no formal anatomy textbook; we use standard atlases, like Netter's, Moore's and Gilroy's. I honestly don't use them lol. We have a cadaver lab and a textbook won't really help in those contexts. In regards to biochem, again we don't have one set textbook. We're given access to about 30+ textbooks and we reference all 30 throughout the week at some point and don't use the entirety of each textbook since we're jumping in between texts.

If you absolutely feel like you need to review biochem, I'd just use your undergrad textbook. Again, if you absolutely MUST. Otherwise, enjoy this time doing other things :)

If it helps to put things into perspective, I finished undergrad in 2013, my masters in 2016 and did no reviewing/studying beforehand and do not regret it haha. Let me know if you have any other q's!

Thank you for your input! Really appreciate it. One last question, has CMED been accredited as an institution yet? And if so/if not what does this mean for its current students/students in the near future?

II just now! IS complete 8/3.
Dates offered were 11/3 and 11/10.

Have they sent out rejections yet?

Thank you for your input! Really appreciate it. One last question, has CMED been accredited as an institution yet? And if so/if not what does this mean for its current students/students in the near future?

We're in the last step of our accreditation process! :) Based on meeting's I've been a part of, we're well on-track for accreditation and our scores, residency match %, curriculum and students are reflective of that. I don't know all the gritty details of course, but I can tell you that our administration has been doing so much to make sure we are in good shape for the next review this school year.

Interviewed today. Great school! I was thoroughly impressed. I would be amazingly fortunate to have the opportunity to go here. Definitely an up-and-coming school with so much going for it!

EDIT: Upon further reflecting upon the school and my experience on interview day, I absolutely loved this school even more than I thought I did. From the real responses by the students and the staff to the CCC to the team-based everything, I was impressed! I would be ecstatic to go here and I hope I did enough through my interviews to be given that opportunity!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed today. Great school! I was thoroughly impressed. I would be amazingly fortunate to have the opportunity to go here. Definitely an up-and-coming school with so much going for it!
How were the MMIs?

FYI: For those who interviewed tomorrow, the earliest you will hear back is November 13th.

How were the MMIs?

Pretty relaxed. Not the most relaxed MMI ever, but pretty straightforward. They definitely have been fine-tuning it from their surveys and stuff. Very original in some ways and normal in others! Don't be worried, everyone is super nice! I will say that some of the stuff was actually pretty fun!

Interviewed here yesterday, and I was very impressed by the school. I didn't know what to expect given how new it is, but the curriculum seems very team/collaboration-focused, which I love. There is a clear emphasis on primary care, however, so something to keep in mind.

The interview itself was great. The MMIs weren't too bad, and there was some other stuff during the interview portion of the day that was a very different twist on an interview involving group interactions (this was pretty awesome in my opinion). It emphasized how important they see collaboration and a team-mindset when working as a physician.

Reactions: 3 users
How long does it take to be under review? Complete since 9/6

II this morning! Re-applicant who interviewed here last year. Complete 7/19 and had the interview pending status for months!

Last edited:
Any advice for the interview?

I'm not sure if interview day will be identical to last year, but if so then brush up on your MMI skills, and be prepared to do some team-building activities!

Does anyone know when the admissions committee will meet again?

Or when they will send out their next batch of acceptances/waitlists etc?

Does anyone know when the admissions committee will meet again?

Or when they will send out their next batch of acceptances/waitlists etc?
I think during they said the next meeting was November 13 so they will send out after that.

II this morning! Re-applicant who interviewed here last year. Complete 7/19 and had the interview pending status for months!
good to know they are still giving out interviews to applicants complete in mid July...i was complete mid july and assumed it was a silent rejection at this point. Congrats on your II!

good to know they are still giving out interviews to applicants complete in mid July...i was complete mid july and assumed it was a silent rejection at this point. Congrats on your II!

Thank you! And yes, there's still hope. If I've learned anything it is that this process is not linear whatsoever.

For those interviewing on 11/10 - does anyone want to coordinate/split travel and/or lodging? I am flying into either Lansing or GRR and renting a car. Splitting costs would be ideal since money is tight. Let me know! :)

On the flip side, are there any IS folks that are driving in from surrounding cities?

Has CM rejected anyone pre-II who was complete in August?
Complete mid-Aug and nothing yet.