2021-2022 Central Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten a road to matriculation email this month? I was expecting one more about the Student Interest Groups, so I’m worried I missed an email.
I did not

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@ any current CMU students here: I recently got accepted and I'm planning to live in the Graduate Housing Complex right by the College of Medicine. How much would you say I need a car for M1 and M2 for stuff like going to community service or getting groceries?

Members don't see this ad :)
@ any current CMU students here: I recently got accepted and I'm planning to live in the Graduate Housing Complex right by the College of Medicine. How much would you say I need a car for M1 and M2 for stuff like going to community service or getting groceries?
I'm also an incoming M1, but as someone who has visited Mount Pleasent, you definitely absolutely need a care

Current M1. Several people do just carpool with others if they don't feel like driving, but you're then relying on them to get you here on time. Nothing in MP is particularly *far*, but the Meijer would be a bit of a hike from grad housing IMO especially if you want to stalk up to only go once per week. There's a bus but I'm not exactly sure how it works. But I would definitely recommend having a car -cause the other thing is, if you need anything outside of MP, you're VERY far from other cities/towns.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also an incoming M1, but as someone who has visited Mount Pleasent, you definitely absolutely need a care
Current M1. Several people do just carpool with others if they don't feel like driving, but you're then relying on them to get you here on time. Nothing in MP is particularly *far*, but the Meijer would be a bit of a hike from grad housing IMO especially if you want to stalk up to only go once per week. There's a bus but I'm not exactly sure how it works. But I would definitely recommend having a car -cause the other thing is, if you need anything outside of MP, you're VERY far from other cities/towns.
Thanks!!

Was accepted off the waitlist but declined the offer earlier this week. It was such a tough decision but I think this is the best path for me. Best of luck to you all and I hope the spot goes to one of you!
Are you not going to med school at all?

Are you not going to med school at all?
No, I am attending a different medical school. The tough decision I referred to was between committing to CMED or the school I will now be attending. Sorry for the confusion!

• Love
After people were accepted of the W/L, did you get any other further information/emails aside from the background check? If so how long did it take? Just wanting to make sure I’m caught up on everything necessary

After people were accepted of the W/L, did you get any other further information/emails aside from the background check? If so how long did it take? Just wanting to make sure I’m caught up on everything necessary
I received correspondence about financial aid and how to set up my CMED email/account to access said finaid. Also got a link to the FB group, which someone linked above I believe.

I received correspondence about financial aid and how to set up my CMED email/account to access said finaid. Also got a link to the FB group, which someone linked above I believe.
Thanks for the reply, about how long after being accepted did it take to get this stuff?

Thanks for the reply, about how long after being accepted did it take to get this stuff?
For the FB invite - a couple of days
For the finaid and login info - four months, haha. But imagine that they’ll ramp that up for those of y’all coming off the waitist

Ive been waitlisted since 1/11. Accepted to out of state school, hoping to stay in state. should I call and ask for an update?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know CMED is pass/fail but is there any internal ranking?

I thought we were getting ranked now for AOA? Granted grades are a small component of how they determine AOA (from what I've heard from M2s-M4s) but still?

Edit: preclinical is P/F and clinically are P/HP/H, which makes life better than if we weren't basically P/F.

I thought we were getting ranked now for AOA? Granted grades are a small component of how they determine AOA (from what I've heard from M2s-M4s) but still?

Edit: preclinical is P/F and clinically are P/HP/H, which makes life better than if we weren't basically P/F.
I definitely could be wrong, but my understanding is that there is no true ranking (i.e. #1, #2, #3, and so on). AOA inductions are made by nominations from faculty, and there is a certain baseline for academic performance that is required for nomination. So, you can't be at the bottom of the class academically and be nominated for AOA.

But I'm not on the MSC where discussions like these are happening, and it's not outlined in the Student Handbook (last I checked).

Edit: Just checked the MSPE too, which does not have rankings in it. Grading for clinical rotations is Fail/Pass/Honors. (No high pass.) There is data about class standing (Satisfactory/Strong/VeryStrong/Superior/Exemplary) but the student's category is not identified in the example I found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Once accepted, you can activate your CMU email by going here: CMU Email Account Activation. Follow the instructions using the last 4 of your SSN. Official instructions to activate your email will be mailed to you, but you can do it without the instructions. I did this within the first week of being accepted. They just started sending out emails every Tuesday for the incoming class and remind everyone to check their CMU email weekly. It can take up to 2 weeks for the financial aid office to receive your FAFSA info. It took about 3 weeks for me to receive my financial aid offer. There is a financial aid seminar coming up as well (info found in your CMU email)! I hope this helps and congrats on your acceptance!

Ive been waitlisted since 1/11. Accepted to out of state school, hoping to stay in state. should I call and ask for an update?
I don't believe the class is full yet, but they definitely seem to be taking their sweet time finishing up decisions lol

I definitely could be wrong, but my understanding is that there is no true ranking (i.e. #1, #2, #3, and so on). AOA inductions are made by nominations from faculty, and there is a certain baseline for academic performance that is required for nomination. So, you can't be at the bottom of the class academically and be nominated for AOA.

But I'm not on the MSC where discussions like these are happening, and it's not outlined in the Student Handbook (last I checked).

Edit: Just checked the MSPE too, which does not have rankings in it. Grading for clinical rotations is Fail/Pass/Honors. (No high pass.) There is data about class standing (Satisfactory/Strong/VeryStrong/Superior/Exemplary) but the student's category is not identified in the example I found.
I've heard different things from different M2+'s (such as grades are only weighted as 5% of the criteria for AOA, others have said it's completely based on faculty rec and has nothing to do with grades, others have said it's weighted 25%...). It would definitely be good to get clarification from admin. But regardless, for the people who were worried about P/F, ranking, etc. I think if anything, we have it in the back of our minds, but no one's stabbing others in the back or anything and I think we have a very collaborative environment. So I wouldn't worry.

IM SHAKING, but I just got in off the WL this morning after sending them an email yesterday with my new MCAT score! My first and only acceptance after only applying to 8 schools due to my poor MCAT score last year. SEE YALL SOON

Reactions: 7 users
I’m super excited for everyone who has gotten accepted (congratulations!!!), but I’m also getting quite nervous. Admissions said they were extending offers until mid-June…and, well, it’s mid-June 😰

Does anybody have an idea exactly when the cycle closes?

I’m super excited for everyone who has gotten accepted (congratulations!!!), but I’m also getting quite nervous. Admissions said they were extending offers until mid-June…and, well, it’s mid-June

Does anybody have an idea exactly when the cycle closes?

I know the deadline to commit is July 1st so i would think they would still have a couple people who haven’t committed by now (myself included). So there still could be some movement in my opinion.

Just officially withdrew my A! Good luck to all you future docs!

• Care
Hi! I was wondering if anyone was able to see the USMLE pass rates for CMU published anywhere?

Are all the seats filled at this point? I have not seen new students admitted for a while.

Are all the seats filled at this point? I have not seen new students admitted for a while.
I emailed last week “still creating the class” and “no waitlist movement”

Fwiw I saw on the curriculum for ‘22-‘23 that orientation starts on August 8th. So looks like there’s about a week left in the cycle.

Hello Future Physicians! I'm an incoming M1 at CMED and I hope that you all do wonderfully this cycle! It's definitely a marathon of a process so don't stress out too much and just focus on things you can control. I know it's easier said than done, but you'll thank me later. If you guys have any questions about the process or anything, please feel free to reach out! Fire Up Chips!
Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the small group activities during interviews?