2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
September 15th, is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Sept 15th, really wanted to attend. But can't justify it after getting into #2

Members don't see this ad.

Yes Sept 15th, really wanted to attend. But can't justify it after getting into #2

Gotcha, well congrats! Thank you for informing us.

how fast are people turning around deposits. really want to get into my top choice chc but also would like to keep my options open (even though i LOVED the school)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!
Future classmates feel free to reach out?? I need friends.

Last edited:
I don't interview until 11/3, yet there are so many people getting acceptances already. Are there only a few seats left or something? I feel like I'm interviewing pretty late.

Withdrawing my II here. Hope one of you guys gets it!

Quick question. Does interviewing later in the year lessen your chances of getting an acceptance?

Quick question. Does interviewing later in the year lessen your chances of getting an acceptance?
The general wisdom is that yes, it can reduce chances, because most slots are already full. It is not unheard of for some students to unknowingly/knowingly interview for waitlist spots late in the cycle. But I have no clue how much late interviews reduces chances, or when it really starts to make an impact. Right now, it is still considered early in the cycle to be interviewing and lessened chances is not in play.

That's my concern too because the only date available for me to interview is 11/3.

That's my concern too because the only date available for me to interview is 11/3.

I believe that is plenty early. I think ~January is when you start thinking about fewer spots for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to meeting new people!

Last edited:
We'd love to get to know our fellow classmates :)

Hey guys, first year here. Make sure that it's the official ATSU SOMA Facebook page with the admins - I would recommend waiting for them to send you an e-mail in order to get the official Facebook page! Congratulations, you'll love it here! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know approx the acceptance rate of those interviewed?

Submitted here on 8/20. Checked my portal today and everything has a check mark; however, "Application Complete" doesn't have a date while the others all all dated 8/20 or 8/21. I noticed that the last email I received from them stated that I would receive an email once my applciation was complete and ready for review, but I haven't received anything. Should I call or is this similar to others' experiences?

Submitted here on 8/20. Checked my portal today and everything has a check mark; however, "Application Complete" doesn't have a date while the others all all dated 8/20 or 8/21. I noticed that the last email I received from them stated that I would receive an email once my applciation was complete and ready for review, but I haven't received anything. Should I call or is this similar to others' experiences?
My portal shows the same thing, no date next to the check mark for application completed. However, I've received a complete email from them. I suggest calling.

My portal shows the same thing, no date next to the check mark for application completed. However, I've received a complete email from them. I suggest calling.
Same deal as both of you... I think it just means its pending review...I have been complete since 8/11 and I am getting so impatient!!

Hey guys! I've been lurking on this thread for some time now... I know I'm super late in the game but I had my primary verified yesterday, and I just received the secondary app for ATSU a few hours ago. Do they pre-screen applicants before sending out secondaries or is it just an automatic thing every applicant receives? I was ecstatic when I saw the email because my stats are not great at all...

Hey guys! I've been lurking on this thread for some time now... I know I'm super late in the game but I had my primary verified yesterday, and I just received the secondary app for ATSU a few hours ago. Do they pre-screen applicants before sending out secondaries or is it just an automatic thing every applicant receives? I was ecstatic when I saw the email because my stats are not great at all...

I think if you meet their requirements, they send you a secondary.

Good luck to those interviewing Friday! Highly recommend attending the Thursday Meet the Dean night! It'll calm you down and break the ice for what (I think, and many others think) is a fun interview day. Come with lots of questions, about literally anything, to ask us first years

Does anyone know how strict they are with the D.O. letter requirement? I have a D.O. letter but I didn't shadow the doctor for 20+ hours. I shadowed four D.O.s, about 8 hours each because this is what they allowed and two of them wrote me a letter.

When submitting the application through AACOMAS it states, "ATSU requires two letters of recommendation – one from a premed committee, academic advisor, or science professor with whom you have received a grade and credit for coursework and one from a physician whom you have shadowed for 20+ hours preferably in primary care (MD or DO)."

Has anyone been okay with a physician letter from someone they worked with? Or are they super strict about a letter from someone you shadowed?

Does anyone know how strict they are with the D.O. letter requirement? I have a D.O. letter but I didn't shadow the doctor for 20+ hours. I shadowed four D.O.s, about 8 hours each because this is what they allowed and two of them wrote me a letter.

When submitting the application through AACOMAS it states, "ATSU requires two letters of recommendation – one from a premed committee, academic advisor, or science professor with whom you have received a grade and credit for coursework and one from a physician whom you have shadowed for 20+ hours preferably in primary care (MD or DO)."
I got an II with almost zero DO shadowing (an 8 hr EMT clinical rotation where I worked with one for a few cases) and no DO letter (2 MD letters) if that helps. I have lots of patient contact hours on my app though.

Who else interviewed here today and got super weird vibes???

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly does +1 mean? I've seen it written across many threads on here...

For the physician letter, is it a strict requirement that it comes from a doctor I shadowed? I've been a medical scribe for 2 years now and the doctor I scribe for is writing my physician letter... Would they take that in place of shadowing?

@ProspectiveDoc1476
@acbakshi
@rae1995

Well for one whenever I asked about board scores to ANY faculty member they consistently just said they're above the national average but don't know the exact statistics, I could find them online... RED FLAG!! All other schools I've been to show exactly what their board scores are and how they compare to other DO schools. Also, they lied!! They're not above the national pass rate! SOMA - Postgraduate Placement

I have many other things to say about my individual experience but think everyone should go in with an open mind to their interview, so if you want to know more specifically about other little things, PM me. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Completed on 08/17 and still have not heard anything back :(

Hi all, I have been complete since the end of July but have not heard anything at all. Wondering if I should call admissions or keep waiting it out? Thanks.

II today! Looks like next avail interview is 12/1

Reactions: 1 users
Current OMS-1 here. Good luck everyone applying this cycle! Ask me questions if you want. On my fall break, so I'll try my best to answer.

Good luck to all my fellow 09/15 interviewees- this is the week! #TeamLightPink