2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got offered a spot at ATSU-soma.

Any solid arguments that make ATSU worth the price tag and distance (for me) as compared to LECOM SH?

Congratulations! I was in your shoes a little while ago between deciding to withdraw from another school after paying their deposit or to commit to SOMA. I didn't apply to or know very much about LECOM, but these are factors that influenced me to pick SOMA.

The school has a well established track record of board pass rates above or near the national averages. Their students also do very well in the match going to large varieties of programs across the country.

Not every class is mandatory meaning you can watch it at home at 2x speed depending on your learning style. They have both an anatomy lab and a virtual anatomy lab, either of which can be used at any time by students. Class sizes are smaller (~100). Plus, I've met quite a few of the current students over the past two years and they've all been great people who have gone above an beyond with helping me by answering questions and giving advice. They've also told me so many great things about the school, their classmates, and the professors. The biggest thing I noticed was that they seemed happy, which is a big factor to me. I'm not trying to say every student at this school is like the ones I've met, but I do believe these are the type of students SOMA accepts in general which cultivates the supportive culture of the school.

The CHC's are a fantastic way to see different parts of the country and help the underserved at the same time. So even though the first year is in AZ, you get the chance to return closer to home for the final 3 if that's what you'd like to do or sit on a beach in Hawaii. Even if you don't get your desired CHC immediately, there is always a chance you can get it later as switching occurs during the school year. Also you are able to do rotations at other sites with the school's approval. I was given my first choice (accepted in April) and from what I've read it's considered one of the more popular CHC location spots.

I'm a Phoenix native and can tell you that it's a great place to live in. It's a large city that's not rundown and is growing, nice people, decent public transportation, got all the pro sporting teams, cost of living is reasonable, great Mexican food, beaches 6 hours to the west, Mexico 4 hours to the south, skiing 2 hours to the north, and plenty of hiking all over. It is really hot for 3-4 months, but AC is key and the rest of the year is why we live here. You don't have to shovel sunshine.

You seem pretty conflicted with cost which is understandable. My biggest argument against that is that even if you go into a less lucrative field, with the proper budgeting, you'll eventually be fine. Others have done it and so can you. To me, my decision was mainly based on the vibes I got from the school, its students, and professors. I felt that this was the place that gave me the most tools, freedom, and opportunities to be successful AND help me become the doctor and individual I want to be.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I know it's late.....but................OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially accepted off the pending seat list and I plan on committing to SOMA:] Good luck to everyone still waiting, and I look forward to meeting some of you this summer! i interviewed Jan 26th for those who are wondering

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I would post this since a lot of people seemed to be asking about it, full credit to jrlob91 for making the list from the one we were sent and taking out all the personal information.

Full ATSU SOMA match list

Anesthesiology
University of Utah (surgery Prelim at Harbour-UCLA)
University of Cincinnati

Emergency Medicine
Oklahoma State University
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
Case Western/University Hospitals
Albert Einstein Medical Center PA
Texas Tech University
Good Samaritan Hospital and Medical Center
Wright State University
Aria Health
Kennedy Univers Hosp/Our Lady of Lourdes
ProMedica Monroe Regional Hospital

Family Medicine
North Colorado Medical Center
Puyallup Tribal Health Authority
San Joaquin General Hospital
UCSF-Fresno (x3)
Cook County Hospital
NYU Langone Hospital
Providence St. Peter Hospital
Wright Center Tucson AZ (x3)
Memorial Hospital South Bend, IN
Long Beach Memorial Medical Center
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Kaiser Permanente-Fontana Medical Center
Chino Valley Medical Center
St. Anthony Hospital Colorado
Mercy Medical Center CA
Brown University
Mountain Vista Medical Center
St. Joseph's Hospital Phoenix
MacNeal Hospital
Sparrow Hospital MSU
Loma Linda University
Wright Center Washington DC
Wright State University
Montclair Hospital Medical Center
University of Minnesota
Williamsport Hospital
Sunrise Health GME Consortium
Natividad Medical Center
Riverside University Health System

Internal Medicine
Laredo Medical Center
Riverside Medical Center
Mountain Vista Medical Center
University of Massachusetts
Redmond Regional Medical Center
SUNY HSC Brooklyn
INOVA Fairfax Hospital
College Medical Center
St. Joseph Hospital Denver
UH Regional Hospitals Richmond Heights
Wright Patterson Med Center, Wright-Patterson AFB
Harnett Health System
University of Nebraska Medical Center
NYP Brooklyn Methodist

Neurology
Oregon Health and Science University

Obstetrics and Gynecology
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center Chicago
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital
St John Macomb Oakland

Orthopedic Surgery
Louisiana State University
Mountain View Regional Medical Center NM
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals
Genesys Regional Medical Center
Larkin Community Hospital

Pediatrics
University of Southern California (x3)
Loma Linda University
Phoenix Children’s Hospital (x2)
Children’s Hospital of Michigan
Oklahoma State University
Baystate Medical Center

Psychiatry
Naval Medical Center San Diego
Maricopa Medical Center Phoenix (x2)
Tripler Army Medical Center
Mercy Medical Center Des Moines
Palm Beach Consortium
University of Arizona

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
University of Utah (x2)
Casa Colina Centers for Rehab
Loma Linda Medical Center

Radiology
Temple University

Peconic Bay Medical center - Prelim
Providence Sacred Heart - Prelim
Jewish Hospital - Prelim
Inspira Health Network - TRI
San Antonio Military Medical Center - TY
College Medical Center - TY
Madigan Army Medical Center - TY
Peconic Bay Medical Center - TRI
San Antonio Military Medical Center - TY

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted today! Excited to join you all!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone!

I was accepted but held off on it, I will be attending LECOM SH due to cost and location. I hope you guys enjoy it!
Good luck and hope you enjoy LECOM another great school.

When is orientation does anyone know?

Accepted pending open seat! 4/20 interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten information on financial aid yet or asked when that might be coming?

Congrats to everyone!

I was accepted but held off on it, I will be attending LECOM SH due to cost and location. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Enjoy LECOM...I hear it is a fantastic school! Good luck on your journey!!!

Was gonna give it a few days because focusing on finals for the Spanish classes I'm taking right now but will update if/when I find info.

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist?

Interviewed on the 20th, and I just received a phone call yesterday saying I was accepted pending open seat. Can't wait to get an official acceptance because I love everything about this school!
Congratulations! Did you get a chance to ask where you were on the pending open seat list?

Congratulations! Did you get a chance to ask where you were on the pending open seat list?
Yes, they said top bracket, but that was very vague. I do know however, that last year, and the year before, they were able to offer seats to everyone on the pending open seat list. Try to give them a call today to follow up with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Going to be withdrawing from this school sometime during the next week! Hope it goes to one of you here who really want it, SOMA is a nice school

Agreed! I've been anxiously watching the movement on this thread all week...

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
I know that they were able to offer seats to everyone on the pending open seat list, last year, so hopefully its the same this year as well. They did mention, however, that we might get our official acceptance, right before the semester starts.

If it makes any of you feel any better, I have an acceptance now, but I might cancel it and give it to one of you. I'm just not sure if I can do this 1+3 model and go to some remote part of the country, given the remaining CHCs. If I could spend all four years in the Phoenix area, I would do it. Additionally, my heart is set on staying home and going to Touro-CA. I have a week left to decide.

If it makes any of you feel any better, I have an acceptance now, but I might cancel it and give it to one of you. I'm just not sure if I can do this 1+3 model and go to some remote part of the country, given the remaining CHCs. If I could spend all four years in the Phoenix area, I would do it. Additionally, my heart is set on staying home and going to Touro-CA. I have a week left to decide.
Which CHCs are remaining?

Last I heard, the CHCs that remain are: Ohio, South Carolina, and Flagstaff (AZ).

I've honestly heard that Ohio is one of the BEST sites but I totally understand following your heart and staying in Cali. Good luck on making that tough decision!

I've honestly heard that Ohio is one of the BEST sites but I totally understand following your heart and staying in Cali. Good luck on making that tough decision!

Thank you. It's really tough. I'm giving it a lot of thought, and weighing out the pros and cons.

Just withdrew my acceptance here! Hoping it goes to you guys here

I'm having a really hard time deciding between SOMA and its sister school KCOM. I have my deposit here and I am assigned to the Phoenix CHC. I have my sister and mother who live in the valley, so I won't be needing to pay for rent, and I'd have my support system close to me. I am from California and my plan is to end up in California later down the road when I'm a physician.
For the current students, do you think that the clinic time during second year takes away from the dedicated time for board prepping? Also one of my main concerns is that having a lot of the rotation sites in an outpatient setting. I'm not sure how much it matters, but I want to rotate somewhere where there are residents around and such.

I'm having a really hard time deciding between SOMA and its sister school KCOM. I have my deposit here and I am assigned to the Phoenix CHC. I have my sister and mother who live in the valley, so I won't be needing to pay for rent, and I'd have my support system close to me. I am from California and my plan is to end up in California later down the road when I'm a physician.
For the current students, do you think that the clinic time during second year takes away from the dedicated time for board prepping? Also one of my main concerns is that having a lot of the rotation sites in an outpatient setting. I'm not sure how much it matters, but I want to rotate somewhere where there are residents around and such.

Figuring out how to conquer the same dilemma/anxiety.

Do you know where this info. comes from? I haven't found anything related to this officially.
This is what I was told by an admissions counselor from the school. However, I was also informed that the pending open seat list seems to be exceptionally longer this year, relative to previous years, so they're not sure if they'll be accepting everyone on it or not. I really love the school, its system and its mission statement, but if I hear back from other schools, I'll be withdrawing my application because nothing is certain.

This is what I was told by an admissions counselor from the school. However, I was also informed that the pending open seat list seems to be exceptionally longer this year, relative to previous years, so they're not sure if they'll be accepting everyone on it or not. I really love the school, its system and its mission statement, but if I hear back from other schools, I'll be withdrawing my application because nothing is certain.

How did you find out that it is "exceptionally" longer? That sounds incredibly discouraging...

How did you find out that it is "exceptionally" longer? That sounds incredibly discouraging...
An admissions counselor as well. Don't lose hope, though, because there is a possibility that they would defer those who aren't accepted through the pending open seat, to next year. Additionally, I'm in the top bracket on the list, but I'll be withdrawing my application, because I've been accepted to another school, today. Best of luck to you all!

Did you specifically here that they would defer from a counselor?

An admissions counselor as well. Don't lose hope, though, because there is a possibility that they would defer those who aren't accepted through the pending open seat, to next year. Additionally, I'm in the top bracket on the list, but I'll be withdrawing my application, because I've been accepted to another school, today. Best of luck to you all!

Just got the call. Only CHC left is South Carolina.
Interviewed (1/26) got called roughly 2 weeks after that.
Finally got called today. Stay strong everyone still waiting for the call and good luck.

There was an AAMC conference around the end of April that every MD dean in the country had to attend, in Florida, I heard through the neurotic pre med intel network. This lead to the beginning of the “MD waitlist movement season” to start a bit later than usual, since May 1 was the first day people had to drop multiple MD acceptances and thus begin the MD WL movement.
That could be what’s causing the “pending open seat” list movement at ATSU SOMA to move slower than usual. I’d bet on it.

There was an AAMC conference around the end of April that every MD dean in the country had to attend, in Florida, I heard through the neurotic pre med intel network. This lead to the beginning of the “MD waitlist movement season” to start a bit later than usual, since May 1 was the first day people had to drop multiple MD acceptances and thus begin the MD WL movement.
That could be what’s causing the “pending open seat” list movement at ATSU SOMA to move slower than usual. I’d bet on it.

More information on how DO schools have to handle acceptance time lines. Very similar to MD schools.

I can't post the link but google aacomas traffic guidelines and it will give you goodinformation.