2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm okay thanks guys! Guess I should've applied earlier :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, all hope all is well! I know that there was some talk about where ATSU-SOMA matches so I thought I would give you an update as today is the AOA match day. So the following is what I have heard/seen so far with this year's match.
This year we had a total of 109 current students, 14 previous years (these were previous year students who were doing TRI for things like Derm or other residencies that require a TRI position). So a total of 123. 72 (58.5%) students did not participate in the AOA match and are participating in NRMP match on March 15th. The rest 34 matched into the AOA match and 17 did not. At first, seeing 17 people might make you a little nervous, the thing is most programs are starting to move to the NRMP/ACGME match and so a lot of the students who did not match AOA are heavily invested in the ACGME match. An example is one of my fellow students only ranked 1 program in the AOA match and 12 in the NRMP match, this is a common theme currently.

1) My CHC: 2 EM (me!), 3 IM, 1 OB/GYN (all at least initial ACGME accredited). We have two who are only doing the NRMP match.
2) Others students I have heard from so far AOA match: 2 ortho, 2 psych, 4 FM, 2 IM, 1 EM

I know that is only half of the group so far that matched AOA, but I will update as I hear more!

Good luck to you all!

2018 Summary by Program Type
2018 Summary by College

Reactions: 3 users
4th year here, at one of the "less desirable CHCs" ;) that everyone is hoping that they don't end up at.

4 of us opted for the AOA match: 2 FM, 1 IM, 1 Ortho. Most of us matched into our #1 ranked program in our desired specialty. All these programs are dual ACGME accredited and in great locations.

So far so good.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a window of suggestion as to when I can expect to hear back about my interview? I was interviewed Jan. 26th. I'm probably being a tad impatient by even asking this only about two weeks past the date. However, I was accepted to another program and because it is so late in the cycle I have a short duration of opportunity in which to accept. I am very interested in this school.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have a window of suggestion as to when I can expect to hear back about my interview? I was interviewed Jan. 26th. I'm probably being a tad impatient by even asking this only about two weeks past the date. However, I was accepted to another program and because it is so late in the cycle I have a short duration of opportunity in which to accept. I am very interested in this school.

3-4 weeks, by phone if accepted, not sure if rejected or waitlisted

Reactions: 1 user

Likewise, i was expecting two weeks like they said it would be

Interviewed on 1/26 and got the call a couple hours ago that I’m accepted pending an open seat!!!!

Anyone have any idea what my chance is of getting off the “accepted pending open seat” list around this time in the cycle?

Last edited:
Interviewed on 1/26 and got the call a couple hours ago that I’m accepted pending an open seat!!!! I can’t believe it!! I would LOVE to go to SOMA, so I’m crossing my fingers that more and more people drop their acceptance offer sooner than later.

Anyone have any idea what my chance is of getting off the “accepted pending open seat” list around this time in the cycle?
I interviewed on the same date and got the same accepted pending open seat call! yay!

Interviewed on 1/26 and got the call a couple hours ago that I’m accepted pending an open seat!!!! I can’t believe it!! I would LOVE to go to SOMA, so I’m crossing my fingers that more and more people drop their acceptance offer sooner than later.

Hey! Congratulations. I got the call and interviewed 1/26 too. So in speaking with their admissions I was told the likelihood of acceptance from the pending seat list is highly likely and the list moves fast. I imagine they are hesitant to get hopes up, so I’m taking this as a factual statement. I’m with you I would love to go here because the program is wonderful.

Hey! Congratulations. I got the call and interviewed 1/26 too. So in speaking with their admissions I was told the likelihood of acceptance from the pending seat list is highly likely and the list moves fast. I imagine they are hesitant to get hopes up, so I’m taking this as a factual statement. I’m with you I would love to go here because the program is wonderful.

+1...YAY!!!!!

Interviewed 12/15 and received a seat (official admission offer) yesterday 2/14

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here 2/16. Any chance any fellow interviewees recall the name of the older gentleman with the musical signs covering his suspenders & tie??

Accepted today 2/20 - pending an open seat! Interviewed early February.
Is "pending an open seat" pretty much another way of saying waitlisted?

I’ve heard something else in terms of it not being a waitlist. Because there is also an alternative list which is really the waitlist. And on some of the other ATSU forums from the past year, there was mention that if there is no seat this cycle they can defer you an acceptance for next cycle? Idk how true this is. It’s not a huge deal for me because I have received acceptances from other schools. But if accepted here, I will highly consider it. But I was really impressed with the location and school. Anyone have any advice on LECOM seton hill vs ATSU-Soma? I like the location of LECOM but the administration and school of ATSU way better.
Yes, I agree with what you said. I've heard people say they got an email saying they are on the alternate list. I was called and told I was accepted pending an open seat and I got a seat within a couple of weeks. I've been hearing mixed messages though from admissions saying everything was a waitlist

Last edited:
I just got an interview invite for March 9th, just wondering if anyone can help me understand what interview day is like so i could prepare?! Also is it worth renting a car? I am flying in from the East Coast!

I just got an interview invite for March 9th, just wondering if anyone can help me understand what interview day is like so i could prepare?! Also is it worth renting a car? I am flying in from the East Coast!

Long, boring and seemingly childish depending in who is in your group.

I'd say rent a car. It's a fairly early morning and you don't want the stress of trying to get an uber. If money's no object, of course. I definitely saw a lot of people uber and lyft on interview day.

I wonder if this guy understands physicians are supposed to make people feel better, not worse. Be agents of healing against the chaos of the world.

"Youre a piece of ****"

"Physicians are supposed to make people feel better"

Pick one, hypocrite.

Just got an II this week, clear indication in the email

"We want to notify you that due to high demand and limited seats, we are interviewing pending an open seat in the class."

Did any of the people who got accepted pending an open seat get this in their II email? Just wanted to know if I'm part of the first wave of people to receive this notification, or if it's already been going on for a while.

"We want to notify you that due to high demand and limited seats, we are interviewing pending an open seat in the class."

Did any of the people who got accepted pending an open seat get this in their II email? Just wanted to know if I'm part of the first wave of people to receive this notification, or if it's already been going on for a while.

My II email in early October did not say this, but it did say something like this on the scheduling page. I also got an email a couple of weeks before my interview in January which said exactly the above.

Yeah, I also got this in the II email I recieved last month.

Accepted pending an open seat does not mean you get a seat next year. From what I've read on these forums it may have been that way a few years ago. However a lot of people (I don't know the specific numbers) are taken off the provisional acceptance list.

I've heard of other schools offering admission delayed a year, so it's possible, but certainly not guaranteed

You're correct, SOMA doesn't offer a seat for next year, that's what I gathered from talking to admissions. However, their sister school, KCOM does offer a deferred acceptance for the following year.

Hi Folks
Anybody have any stats on ATSU like
Number of Interview candidates
Number of Offers
Number of Students enrolled

based on prior year research

Any 2/16 interviewees hear anything yet?

Hi Folks
Anybody have any stats on ATSU like
Number of Interview candidates
Number of Offers
Number of Students enrolled

based on prior year research
Only letting you know because this is the second program you have asked about these numbers for- many, if not most schools post the stats you are asking for. If you are a prospective applicant for this coming cycle, I would start working on a spreadsheet with all the pertinent information that you like for every school, so you can refer to it throughout the cycle.

I just talked to someone from the admissions office and they said that the committee met today at 11AM. They typically meet the week after the interview date but for reasons unknown, they met later than usual this time. When I asked when I can expect a decision, she said that they typically send out calls/emails a week after they meet. She said I will for sure have an answer by end of next week.

This wait is killing me.

From what she said, I THINK they met later than usual because the whole committee wasn't in town the following week for the 2/16 interview date.
Also I should have specified,=... the previous post was intended for the 2/16 interview date

From what she said, I THINK they met later than usual because the whole committee wasn't in town the following week for the 2/16 interview date.
Also I should have specified,=... the previous post was intended for the 2/16 interview date
Got a call just now. Accepted pending open seat. Interviewed on 2/16.

Me too I got the call earlier. Super excited, but I am kind of skeptical about the pending open seat. I wish they gave us more information about it.

The school has 108 seats. They have already given out 108 acceptances to fill every seat.

They are going to continue to interview and accept students pending an open seat, or place them on the alternate list. Accepted pending an open seat is a ranked list.

As the cycle continues, students who have gained an acceptance at SOMA will drop their acceptance to attend a different school. As they drop their acceptance, they contact the #1 ranked person on the accepted pending an open seat list and give them the newly open seat.

This will continue until the class starts. Also, students drop for other reasons, like deferring for a death in the family or financial problems with loans.

Historically, SOMA has always had a seat for every student in the accepted pending an open seat list because students drop for the reasons above. However, there is always a chance nobody from the list gets in. Let’s hope history repeats itself.

Reactions: 2 users
The school has 108 seats. They have already given out 108 acceptances to fill every seat.

They are going to continue to interview and accept students pending an open seat, or place them on the alternate list. Accepted pending an open seat is a ranked list.

As the cycle continues, students who have gained an acceptance at SOMA will drop their acceptance to attend a different school. As they drop their acceptance, they contact the #1 ranked person on the accepted pending an open seat list and give them the newly open seat.

This will continue until the class starts. Also, students drop for other reasons, like deferring for a death in the family or financial problems with loans.

Historically, SOMA has always had a seat for every student in the accepted pending an open seat list because students drop for the reasons above. However, there is always a chance nobody from the list gets in. Let’s hope history repeats itself.
Thank you for the explanation. Let's hope that history does indeed repeat itself!

Thank you for the explanation. Let's hope that history does indeed repeat itself!

No problem! Also, they won’t tell you your rank and people who interview after you can be ranked higher than you.

Also, from what I have seen in the past SOMA forums, most movement on the pending an open seat list happens between May-June.

May 15th is when DO schools can rescind acceptances due to holding multiple acceptances. So students will start dropping acceptances.

June 15th (info from another forum, may want to call admissions) is when SOMA asks for the pre-registration fees. This is another time where people go elsewhere and the pending an open seat list moves a lot.

Saw in a past thread someone from the alternate list got accepted near the end of June and had to hurry to AZ.