2017-2018 A.T. Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More information on how DO schools have to handle acceptance time lines. Very similar to MD schools.

I can't post the link but google aacomas traffic guidelines and it will give you goodinformation.

Interesting. Never knew about this for the DO side. On a different note I hate how much money DO schools make you deposit. DO = in the thousands. MD in the hundreds. I am somewhat suspect that it’s driven by actual business needs, I just wonder if it’s a moneymaker for a system of schools that know that many of their acceptees have applied as a backup to MD and will ditch them if plan A works out. I could be wrong. But I still hate being out a few grand. All part of the great game though, eh.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They also didn't say when they believe the most movement will happen on the list. I saw someone mention that we will have a better idea at the end of May, how do we know?

They also didn't say when they believe the most movement will happen on the list. I saw someone mention that we will have a better idea at the end of May, how do we know?
You may not like hearing this but if you don't have an acceptance anywhere start preparing for the reapp as well

Members don't see this ad :)
You may not like hearing this but if you don't have an acceptance anywhere start preparing for the reapp as well
I will be preparing for that as a backup plan, I am just curious what others are hearing. Usually the May 1st deadline is the day for turnover, but I am hearing that the end of May will actually produce more movement on the list. Not sure what to believe...

Anyone know when the next deposit is due? I hope there will be more movement then

Anyone know when the next deposit is due? I hope there will be more movement then
The second $1000 deposit was due for everybody on May 1st. I believe any new acceptances will just have to pay the full $2000 at once now.

Im currently waitlisted in two Texas schools, so if I get in then I'll be dropping my spot here. Hopefully two of us can be happier in the near future

I just sent the official thanks but peace out email to ATSU SOMA.

Hopefully one of you gets the call tomorrow. I was supposed to go to Hawaii. I’ve been to the CHC in Waiane. It’s rad. Brand new, beautiful, like a small hospital, really, overlooking the best beach I’ve ever seen in my life.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call yesterday!!! One of the happiest moments of my life :) I sincerely hope the list keeps moving for you guys! Here's my timeline if anyone is interested:

Primary submitted - 28 February 2018
Secondary submitted - 04 March
Interview - 30 March
Pending an open seat list: 11 April
Accepted: 23 May

Reactions: 4 users
Got the call yesterday!!! One of the happiest moments of my life :) I sincerely hope the list keeps moving for you guys! Here's my timeline if anyone is interested:

Interview - 30 March
Woohoo! Guess you won't need to rewrite that statement

Interview - 30 March

So you got my spot, it seems. Rad.

So you got my spot, it seems. Rad.

Thank you kind Sir! ;)

Also of note for those still waiting, the first call I missed from them yesterday morning was to inform me that I was next on the list and to make sure I was still available to accept - so this is a thing they apparently do. 2 hours later I got the acceptance offer via email.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you kind Sir! ;)

Also of note for those still waiting, the first call I missed from them yesterday morning was to inform me that I was next on the list and to make sure I was still available to accept - so this is a thing they apparently do. 2 hours later I got the acceptance offer via email.

Did they tell you what CHCs are left ? You gonna take the ride, do Waianae?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they tell you what CHCs are left ? You gonna take the ride, do Waianae?

They told me that S. Carolina and Ohio are the ones still open but highly encouraged me to input my ranking request so that I have a chance at what I really want. I honestly wasn't interested in the Waianae location until you made that convincing post so it'll probably at least be half way down my ranking. DC and the PNW locations are still my top choices.

They told me that S. Carolina and Ohio are the ones still open but highly encouraged me to input my ranking request so that I have a chance at what I really want. I honestly wasn't interested in the Waianae location until you made that convincing post so it'll probably at least be half way down my ranking. DC and the PNW locations are still my top choices.

Interesting. Well, best of luck to you. They start pretty early there so you gotta make some pretty quick moves to the desert, huh.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. Well, best of luck to you. They start pretty early there so you gotta make some pretty quick moves to the desert, huh.

Indeed, gonna pack some oven mitts in my car.

Got the acceptance call this afternoon. This cycle was a hell of a rollercoaster. Thank God its over- and now on to the next ride. See you guys in a few weeks!

Do we know when the white coat ceremony will be?

Do you know where I could find info like this on their website? I feel like everything on the website was for last yrs class.
I think there's a comment on the fb page with all the dates. It's also in the student handbook.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Offered seat today off pending accept list :) Only South Carolina and Ohio CHCs available.

Offered seat today off pending accept list :) Only South Carolina and Ohio CHCs available.

Congrats!!! :D They told me the same thing for CHCs and encouraged me to submit my preferences anyway. Got my top choice 3 days later :)

Offered a seat yesterday as well off of the accepted-pending list. There is definitely movement for those who are still waiting!

This secondary looks very elaborate. Any tips on how to complete them? I am particularly interested on the "why no DO letter" and the "weakest attribute"

Those who went through this please pass down some wisdom as this is probably the most detailed DO secondary I have seen.

This secondary looks very elaborate. Any tips on how to complete them? I am particularly interested on the "why no DO letter" and the "weakest attribute"

Those who went through this please pass down some wisdom as this is probably the most detailed DO secondary I have seen.
I had a DO letter as well as shadowing experience so I did not have difficultly there, as for your weakest trait, they want to see how you've overcome it or turned it to your favor IMO

Is anyone still waiting to be accepted on the accepted pending an open seat list?

What? Are you just doing it now? Is that possible? Or are you getting ready for next season?
I think you’re setting yourself up for “looks like this was a backup to MD” if you don’t have a DO letter. And don’t try to spin your weaknesses into strengths. Another interview I went on, an MD school known for panel interviews and mean ethics questions, told me “thank you for not trying to sell your weaknesses as strengths —people try that and it’s so obvious and disingenuous.” They had asked me and so I had told them, straight up.

What? Are you just doing it now? Is that possible? Or are you getting ready for next season?
I think you’re setting yourself up for “looks like this was a backup to MD” if you don’t have a DO letter. And don’t try to spin your weaknesses into strengths. Another interview I went on, an MD school known for panel interviews and mean ethics questions, told me “thank you for not trying to sell your weaknesses as strengths —people try that and it’s so obvious and disingenuous.” They had asked me and so I had told them, straight up.
I'm pretty sure DameJulie is asking for 2018-2019 year. AMCAS and AACOMAS should already be up to submit 2018-2019 primaries now.

I eventually got a DO letter (after submitting 1° but before submitting half of my 2° including SOMA) so I didn't have to address that although I didn't have to answer that question on the 2° even if I didn't have the DO letter as I could answer one of the other 2 questions in its place. Even if you don't have the letter when you submit your app, I would be working on finding a DO to shadow and obtain a letter from asap. I know it can be difficult to find ANY doctor to shadow. I can share how ended up finding a DO to shadow fwiw though my experience may not be that helpful.

Unless it changed this year, you have a choice in which questions you want to answer. So, I ended up not answering the weakest attribute question. I did the underserved and volunteer question instead. I would recommend knowing how to answer the questions you do not answer anyway in case they come up in your interviews. You can probably find some ideas in MMI or Interview Q&A books for questions like "weakest attribute." Or if you have access to your school and they have a career center with mock interviews, the staff there can help with ideas. I agree with Magus to tell admissions how you're working on overcoming the weakness or learning how to cope with it.

While I agree with this sentiment, I'd take it with a grain of salt. You should definitely be honest and genuine about your faults, but be strategic about which faults you put on display. You don't want to give them one that turns into a huge red flag.

While I agree with this sentiment, I'd take it with a grain of salt. You should definitely be honest and genuine about your faults, but be strategic about which faults you put on display. You don't want to give them one that turns into a huge red flag.

+pity+

I am still waiting on my Texas waitlists to move, and if that happens I'll give up my seat here. Just keeping yall posted

An admissions counselor as well. Don't lose hope, though, because there is a possibility that they would defer those who aren't accepted through the pending open seat, to next year. Additionally, I'm in the top bracket on the list, but I'll be withdrawing my application, because I've been accepted to another school, today. Best of luck to you all!

Is this true? If so, are they going to defer everyone on the list? When would they tell us? Does anyone know anything more about this?

Is this true? If so, are they going to defer everyone on the list? When would they tell us? Does anyone know anything more about this?
This is what they had told me when I called them about a month ago. You can definitely give them a call and verify this, with them. Also you can ask them about any updates, that's what I did.

I was told a few days ago that they will NOT be deferring acceptances this year, but are considering it for next cycle. Seems that the information you get is different depending on who you talk to on the phone. At this point the best we can do is wait and see.
Anyone heard any word about them deferring acceptances to next year? Anyone hear anything else?

I got offered roll over admission to 2019, so there’s still hope for people on the accepted pending list!

Hi! Question for current students or accepted. I’m actually in Mesa right now looking for apartments and I realized I don’t know when we are supposed to move to our assigned CHC. So I’m not sure if I need to be looking for a 12 month lease or 10? Or 13? I’m planning on moving in July, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! Question for current students or accepted. I’m actually in Mesa right now looking for apartments and I realized I don’t know when we are supposed to move to our assigned CHC. So I’m not sure if I need to be looking for a 12 month lease or 10? Or 13? I’m planning on moving in July, obviously.

The curriculum sometimes changes slightly from year to year, so I would email the school admin for a definite answer. PM me for their contact info if you don’t know who to email.

We ended in early June if it’s helpful.

Withdrew my acceptance this morning. Not an easy decision but I had to go with my gut. Good luck to all of you!

Has anyone gotten a recent update about the number of people left on the pending-acceptance list?

If there is anyone looking for a roommate or if you know of anyone in the Class of 2022 looking for a roommate, please PM me.

Thanks

Has anyone gotten a recent update about the number of people left on the pending-acceptance list?

Someone mentioned they were deferred to next years class. Try calling admissions to see what the deal is with this. Could be they don't defer everyone and only defer select people from the pending list or they haven't reached out to everyone yet. The class starts in 2 weeks I believe so time is running out. Best of luck!

Last edited:
If there is anyone looking for a roommate or if you know of anyone in the Class of 2022 looking for a roommate, please PM me.

Thanks

Have you tried the Facebook page for the class of 2022?

@SmilingTooth
@yanhoz
@shinosuke
@HM2DO
@justin_bieber

Do you think living nearby other students helped at all ever in your first year (living at colonial grand)?
How did you guys get around your first year? Did you lease a car? Bike? Is there public transportation? Is walking or biking to campus bearable in the sun?
Anybody have a Chicago or Ohio CHC that they could comment on their experience?
Do you think the school will allow opportunities to join biomedical research projects, if available, with a non-ATSU faculty member at another school during year 2-4?