2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we don't have our last semesters transcript in before rank deadline, will that mess us up? Reason is bc our prof was still grading stuff till last week so it's just been posted

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wait we're supposed to send in transcripts for the past semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait we're supposed to send in transcripts for the past semester?

I think it could be ok but I read this:
https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/evaluation_Form.html

"You must send updated transcripts to TMDSAS at the end of each term that coursework is completed between the time of application and expected date of matriculation."

So even if you do it before you start med school it should be fine?

Members don't see this ad :)
But I hope it doesn't interfere with match!

True. I don't think something that little will interfere, especially since (a) there is no hard deadline, and (b) we still have a few weeks until the match. I believe they know that schools take time to get transcripts ready.

Reactions: 1 user
What would y'all say is the Cost of Living per year for UTMB students? Other schools show tuition + cost of living calculations in their financial pages. But UTMB only has tuition included. Hard to make a comparison.

What would y'all say is the Cost of Living per year for UTMB students? Other schools show tuition + cost of living calculations in their financial pages. But UTMB only has tuition included. Hard to make a comparison.
Less than Houston, more than Lubbock, to ballpark it

MSAR estimates $24,060 a year in living expenses

~800 for rent/utilities +/- how fancy/cheap you want to go or are willing to split with a roommate. 800 x 12 months = 9600 then add a couple hundred bucks for food/gas/fun stuff per month--> ~ 12,000
medical school is going to be expensive no matter what, but if you're super in to saving money you can easily get around biking/walking most places until 3rd year when you're going to different clinics
when I had a roommate, I paid about 450/month including utilities and we lived in a decent gated complex
also be sure to let any apartment complexes know that you're a UTMB student (almost every place has a discount that they don't always openly advertise)

OMG how many koalas are there?! Lol

We are starting a clan. Also, I lived at Ferry Road apartments with 2 roommates and paid $250 a month all bills included. This was 5 years ago, but I'm pretty sure they are still dirt cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are starting a clan. Also, I lived at Ferry Road apartments with 2 roommates and paid $250 a month all bills included. This was 5 years ago, but I'm pretty sure they are still dirt cheap.
Were the apartments renovated inside?

Well, my fellow student doctors. This week is it. The count down clock strikes 3. I wish you all the best, and I hope that we can cross to the other side together.

Reactions: 3 users
Only started the application last May. This wait is killer

Attachments

• IMG_0436.PNG
    IMG_0436.PNG
    76.8 KB · Views: 107
Don't get a depressing student apartment! You deserve a homey place now.
I agree! If I match here I will be on HAR everyday looking for an affordable beach house rental!

How is this school perceived reputation wise by program directors in Texas? Could one feasibly match dermatology?

Anybody on here that isn't looking at UTMB as their first choice?

Since there's no official thread for match day, I just chose this one at random. Is anyone else about to die right now? I'm beyond nervous.

Since there's no official thread for match day, I just chose this one at random. Is anyone else about to die right now? I'm beyond nervous.
Luckily I'm more nervous about 24 hours of traveling to Asia on Thursday. So every time I remember the match I get excited :)

You're not alone! This is as nerve racking as when I was waiting to receive my MCAT score, if not more...

Luckily I'm more nervous about 24 hours of traveling to Asia on Thursday. So every time I remember the match I get excited :)

That's super cool! What parts are you headed to? I went to the full moon party in Thailand a few years back and it was incredible, if you happen to be headed that way.

You're not alone! This is as nerve racking as when I was waiting to receive my MCAT score, if not more...
Ooooooh THAT was nerve racking! At least after match we will have two years until we have another killer wait, for Step. Then another 2 for residency match. Oh boy

That's super cool! What parts are you headed to? I went to the full moon party in Thailand a few years back and it was incredible, if you happen to be headed that way.
India. How was your flight over there? I'm a nervous flyer and it's 16 hours to Dubai then another 3 to Delhi

India. How was your flight over there? I'm a nervous flyer and it's 16 hours to Dubai then another 3 to Delhi

That sounds so exciting!! I've been to Delhi and Goa for a few days, but I've always wanted to spend more time there. I actually went to Australia/NZ last month which was a super long flight. I like flying, but my brother gets extremely nervous- something to do with the height. If he doesn't look outside he's fine, but he psyches himself out. He pops like 2 Klonopin before each flight and literally is on Cloud 9 haha.

Since you are a nervous flyer, if you can, in the future take Qantas Airlines (it's the world's safest airline) if you're flying internationally. That's who I took to NZ and I felt just super relaxed and legit didn't worry about anything.

That sounds so exciting!! I've been to Delhi and Goa for a few days, but I've always wanted to spend more time there. I actually went to Australia/NZ last month which was a super long flight. I like flying, but my brother gets extremely nervous- something to do with the height. If he doesn't look outside he's fine, but he psyches himself out. He pops like 2 Klonopin before each flight and literally is on Cloud 9 haha.

Since you are a nervous flyer, if you can, in the future take Qantas Airlines (it's the world's safest airline) if you're flying internationally. That's who I took to NZ and I felt just super relaxed and legit didn't worry about anything.
Haha Yes I've been googling safest airlines for the past few weeks. Emirates was always on the top 5 until last year when a Boeing 777 crash landed. So now I've been reading about that for the past few days, over and over and over. Lol Ok now to think of the match

Haha Yes I've been googling safest airlines for the past few weeks. Emirates was always on the top 5 until last year when a Boeing 777 crash landed. So now I've been reading about that for the past few days, over and over and over. Lol Ok now to think of the match

Omg don't look up plane crashes!! My grandpa does this thing where whenever we all go on flights together, he'll let us know about recent crashes for that particular aircraft model. It's awful :p You'll be fine :) If you're sensitive to food, take Pepto Bismol three times a day for a few days to coat your stomach, and then you'll have no problems, even with street food. I did this when I went to middle of nowhere Sudan and ate God knows what lol

I GOT IN! 1:31 AM! They got a cute intro movie! I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
how do you know lol?
I have the email already. My assumption for why they send it out so early in the morning is to have everything sent before TMDSAS opens up to keep things on track.

I have the email already. My assumption for why they send it out so early in the morning is to have everything sent before TMDSAS opens up to keep things on track.
Oh okay, that's awesome! Congrats!!

Oh okay, that's awesome! Congrats!!
Hey thanks man! Here is the image in case the thread wants a confirmation. Fingers crossed for everyone else awaiting 8AM. I believe in you guys!

Pmqz41u.png

That's sick!
As they keep rolling these out, hopefully I'll be seeing you on the other side! I think with all this, I am going to catch some sleep. Good luck cabronjames! Rooting for you all!

Omg don't look up plane crashes!! My grandpa does this thing where whenever we all go on flights together, he'll let us know about recent crashes for that particular aircraft model. It's awful :p You'll be fine :) If you're sensitive to food, take Pepto Bismol three times a day for a few days to coat your stomach, and then you'll have no problems, even with street food. I did this when I went to middle of nowhere Sudan and ate God knows what lol
That's a great idea, thanks!!! Omg your grandpa!! Haha