2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who got in, has anyone gotten information on the "Closer Look Program"? I sent the email to the address provided and got no answer. I sent another email a month later asking if they got my RSVP and if I could have more information on the program so I could plan accordingly. No answer.

Anyone hear back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who got in, has anyone gotten information on the "Closer Look Program"? I sent the email to the address provided and got no answer. I sent another email a month later asking if they got my RSVP and if I could have more information on the program so I could plan accordingly. No answer.

Anyone hear back yet?

Someone posted a few pages back that the email address for RSVP was incorrect. I'm struggling to find it now on mobile

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Someone posted a few pages back that the email address for RSVP was incorrect. I'm struggling to find it now on mobile

Yes this is true. The first time I tried it the e-mail was incorrect and I got an error message stating it could not be delivered. They then sent out the appropriate acceptance email that worked for gmail users, etc. I think used that email and got no answer, but it did go through. I'll double check online to make sure it is correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if UTMB sends out scholarship or financial aid offers before the match?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if UTMB sends out scholarship or financial aid offers before the match?

I spoke to financial aid about this over the phone. The lady said you will know about financial aid in March-April. So after match. I'm not too sure about scholarships.

Did the admission committee confirm they will be sending out prematches today? I am getting so anxious!

Did the admission committee confirm they will be sending out prematches today? I am getting so anxious!
No, looking on the past forums, they typically release prematch around this time. I have not called for confirmation. Then again the adcom could always change when they want to release them.

No, looking on the past forums, they typically release prematch around this time. I have not called for confirmation. Then again the adcom could always change when they want to release them.

I think if they're heading towards being more match heavy, they may not have another batch of pre-matches sent out.

I think if they're heading towards being more match heavy, they may not have another batch of pre-matches sent out.

I see you were accepted somewhere! Congratulations! Where did you get in if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: 1 user
I see you were accepted somewhere! Congratulations! Where did you get in if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks:) Miami Miller. Edit: false alarm on Cornell haha. They sent out faulty acceptances.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know historically they release prematch offers around this time, but could it be that since there is one more set of interviews this upcoming Friday, that they are waiting until the next week to send prematch offers (if they so choose to at all this cycle)?

Can any current students comment on when they received information about scholarships?

Can any current students comment on when they received information about scholarships?

I got into UTMB on match day last year, so I won't have much perspective to offer regarding the timeline for those holding pre-match offers. That being said, last year they released a bunch of information about financial aid (including scholarship opportunities) about 2 weeks after match.

Interviewed here today. The biggest selling point to me was their 2016 Step 1 average: 237.4. Their Neurosurg, & orthosurg average was 245. So pretty impressive. Average GPA: 3.9, average MCAT: 30/506, which is weird because a 506 is not a 30.

There were no students on campus today since finals were over. This was the first school I interviewed at where I felt they weren't trying to sell us their program, but rather knew who they were and exactly what they can produce in their students. The faculty felt very confident. But its weird, I didn't feel as drawn here as I did to UTHSCSA and Dell, but maybe that's because I just was sick today and not feeling it.

Interviewed here today. The biggest selling point to me was their 2016 Step 1 average: 237.4. Their Neurosurg, & orthosurg average was 245. So pretty impressive. Average GPA: 3.9, average MCAT: 30/506, which is weird because a 506 is not a 30.

There were no students on campus today since finals were over. This was the first school I interviewed at where I felt they weren't trying to sell us their program, but rather knew who they were and exactly what they can produce in their students. The faculty felt very confident. But its weird, I didn't feel as drawn here as I did to UTHSCSA and Dell, but maybe that's because I just was sick today and not feeling it.

You spoke my mind and I cannot agree with you more. I felt the exact same when I interviewed here and at UTHSCSA. There is no doubt that UTMB's curriculum is top notch with the way they prepare for STEP and also have Pass/Fail.
San Antonio gives basically 4 months of Step prep and says majority people get A's in the course work.
I'm so torn on how to rank between the two schools.

You spoke my mind and I cannot agree with you more. I felt the exact same when I interviewed here and at UTHSCSA. There is no doubt that UTMB's curriculum is top notch with the way they prepare for STEP and also have Pass/Fail.
San Antonio gives basically 4 months of Step prep and says majority people get A's in the course work.
I'm so torn on how to rank between the two schools.

My interviewer today at UTMB told me to choose the school that has a has a stronger pedigree, where the name can help carry and add some weight to my training. In that case, I would rank UTMB above UTHSCSA. But I don't feel as comfortable doing that because it just didn't pull me like San Antonio. Idk. Just wish I could have seen the students on campus. I didn't realize how big of a role it plays to see the campus in action. And I think that's why I didn't feel as close at my A&M interview either bc it was at Temple and not BCS where the action happens for MS1/2s

My interviewer today at UTMB told me to choose the school that has a has a stronger pedigree, where the name can help carry and add some weight to my training. In that case, I would rank UTMB above UTHSCSA. But I don't feel as comfortable doing that because it just didn't pull me like San Antonio. Idk. Just wish I could have seen the students on campus. I didn't realize how big of a role it plays to see the campus in action. And I think that's why I didn't feel as close at my A&M interview either bc it was at Temple and not BCS where the action happens for MS1/2s

I would say if you can picture yourself in Galveston, UTMB is probably the better school, but if you really want a more urban environment, go with SA. I liked UTMB and I would have ranked it higher in my list if it wasn't for the location (and a really rude interviewer that turned me off).

But honestly I don't think you can go wrong, so I would advise just going with the ranking that feels best to you. If you didn't feel comfortable somewhere, don't try to force it because of "prestige."

I would say if you can picture yourself in Galveston, UTMB is probably the better school, but if you really want a more urban environment, go with SA. I liked UTMB and I would have ranked it higher in my list if it wasn't for the location (and a really rude interviewer that turned me off).

But honestly I don't think you can go wrong, so I would advise just going with the ranking that feels best to you. If you didn't feel comfortable somewhere, don't try to force it because of "prestige."

Definitely. I agree with you on this. Gonna rank according to my feelings more than anything. Just still trying to see how the overall feels are. I think a lot depends on the mood of the campus during the day. For example, the UTHSCSA campus was packed during my day and I was all excited with it being my second interview and all.

@Skittsie13 @TexasSurgeon aren't UTMB and UTHSCSA similar on pedigree/prestige?

I think UTMB has a larger advantage: more research, higher step scores, more hospital affiliations, NBME exam access, higher integration and PBL formats, something like 6 full weeks of uninterrupted step 1 study time. Despite UTMB's standard 2/2 curriculum, their scores are higher

I liked UTMB, but I didn't realize what the feeling of being drawn to a school was until I interviewed at other schools. UTMB seemed to rely more on their status than the other schools, like Tech and A&M that really did try and go all out selling their students/curriculum/faculty etc to us. Basically no matter where we go, we're going to get a great education regardless, so that helps when ranking schools for me.

Yeah, I think I may have been unconsciously biased against UTMB because I went there after I interviewed at my top choice, so the whole day I was comparing it to another school, which wasn't fair. I got better at looking at each school objectively along the interview trail.

@TexasSurgeon UTHSCSA had like a party or something the day we were there! So it could definitely be playing a factor comparing it to an empty UTMB campus. IIRC their campus is a lot bigger than UTHSCSA's anyway/is in a much smaller city so it may just be quieter overall.

@inthemaking1 I think historically before the hurricane UTMB was the #3 school in the state, but now it's dropped because of all the cuts they had to make. I think it really is a fantastic school (pass/fail, good Step scores especially from a group with a low MCAT, good research), it's just not possible for me to live in Galveston.

Yeah, I think I may have been unconsciously biased against UTMB because I went there after I interviewed at my top choice, so the whole day I was comparing it to another school, which wasn't fair. I got better at looking at each school objectively along the interview trail.

@TexasSurgeon UTHSCSA had like a party or something the day we were there! So it could definitely be playing a factor comparing it to an empty UTMB campus. IIRC their campus is a lot bigger than UTHSCSA's anyway/is in a much smaller city so it may just be quieter overall.

@inthemaking1 I think historically before the hurricane UTMB was the #3 school in the state, but now it's dropped because of all the cuts they had to make. I think it really is a fantastic school (pass/fail, good Step scores especially from a group with a low MCAT, good research), it's just not possible for me to live in Galveston.

Yeah, in terms of rank it's virtually tied with UT Houston at around #56 in the nation. This is from US News 2011-2012 -

UTMB_USNews.jpg

https://media.bcm.edu/documents/2013/2c/alumni-newslink-apr-2011.pdf

San Antonio is not far behind. The difference between 56 and 60 is not really significant, if research rank is one of your top requirements of course.

A&M and Tech are usually in the 80s IIRC, but honestly US News ranking should be at or near the bottom for factors to prioritize. Medical school education is extremely standardized. Your choice should be based upon where you feel you fit in and learn the best.

I think UTMB's major strength is that it gives you the freedom and time to explore different learning modalities to figure out what works best for you, so ultimately everyone's learning experience becomes very individualized based upon what they think works for them.

I liked UTMB, but I didn't realize what the feeling of being drawn to a school was until I interviewed at other schools. UTMB seemed to rely more on their status than the other schools, like Tech and A&M that really did try and go all out selling their students/curriculum/faculty etc to us. Basically no matter where we go, we're going to get a great education regardless, so that helps when ranking schools for me.

UTMB definitely felt like it was relying more on the name for me as well. I've noticed that the physical appearance of the campus also affects my perception; so for example, UTHSCSA has all new facilities and pretty architecture versus the older feel of UTMB. This shouldn't be a huge factor in making a decision though. And yeah, UTMB's campus is definitely larger- 3 hospitals on campus or something versus SA's University system.

Yeah, in terms of rank it's virtually tied with UT Houston at around #56 in the nation. This is from US News 2011-2012 -

UTMB_USNews.jpg

https://media.bcm.edu/documents/2013/2c/alumni-newslink-apr-2011.pdf

San Antonio is not far behind. The difference between 56 and 60 is not really significant, if research rank is one of your top requirements of course.

A&M and Tech are usually in the 80s IIRC, but honestly US News ranking should be at or near the bottom for factors to prioritize. Medical school education is extremely standardized. Your choice should be based upon where you feel you fit in and learn the best.

I think UTMB's major strength is that it gives you the freedom and time to explore different learning modalities to figure out what works best for you, so ultimately everyone's learning experience becomes very individualized based upon what they think works for them.

I think UTMB is now considered unranked in the US News report because they chose to forgo their ranking after the damage Ike did to them. And UTHSCSA told us they're like a top 10 in some sort of specific funding grant. But I don't remember anymore

Does anyone who pre-matched know if you go to the myStar portal and accept your offer what all this entails? I'd like to accept the offer and apply for financial aid but I also don't want to accidently make a commitment that bars me from other matched schools. Sounds kind of silly, as I don't think that's possible but still... kinda worried to accept it without knowing much about it.

Does anyone who pre-matched know if you go to the myStar portal and accept your offer what all this entails? I'd like to accept the offer and apply for financial aid but I also don't want to accidently make a commitment that bars me from other matched schools. Sounds kind of silly, as I don't think that's possible but still... kinda worried to accept it without knowing much about it.
accepting an offer at a medical school doesn't mean you've committed to it. it just means there's a possibility you'll go there. the only reason to decline an offer pre-match is if there's no way you'd attend that school over the others you've been accepted to.

accepting an offer at a medical school doesn't mean you've committed to it. it just means there's a possibility you'll go there. the only reason to decline an offer pre-match is if there's no way you'd attend that school over the others you've been accepted to.
I'll probably call tomorrow to be sure, but this is what I thought. I just don't want to accept it and be taken out of match or something. It does state things like "plan to matriculate", etc etc

Then again as of right now I do PLAN to matriculate so long as I don't get into UTSW ha

So you were accepted on Nov. 15 and you haven't logged in to accept the offer? It's been almost 5 weeks...

I'll probably call tomorrow to be sure, but this is what I thought. I just don't want to accept it and be taken out of match or something. It does state things like "plan to matriculate", etc etc

Then again as of right now I do PLAN to matriculate so long as I don't get into UTSW ha
You might want to be careful because at the other schools I interviewed at, they only gave me 2 weeks to respond to the prematch offer. You should basically be saying yes to every school you prematch at regardless of whether you will or will not attend. It's not binding.

Jesus guys give me a freak'n heart attack. I checked my portal and was freaking out when I couldn't find it anymore. Turns out I'm just dumb and looked in the wrong place - its still there.

I called and asked about this. Theresa Silva told me the pre-match offers do not expire. She stated that they often "recommend you accept it by 2 weeks" just for their reference. However, she said due to the Texas match system, etc etc that pre-match offers cannot be withdrawn prior to match

Jesus guys give me a freak'n heart attack. I checked my portal and was freaking out when I couldn't find it anymore. Turns out I'm just dumb and looked in the wrong place - its still there.

I called and asked about this. Theresa Silva told me the pre-match offers do not expire. She stated that they often "recommend you accept it by 2 weeks" just for their reference. However, she said due to the Texas match system, etc etc that pre-match offers cannot be withdrawn prior to match
Accept the offer then rank UTSW first.

Accept the offer then rank UTSW first.
This was exactly what I was going to do. I've accepted the UTMB offer now that I've clarified with UTMB that it will not hinder me from ranking UTSW first.

Who's ready to study on the beach? :cool:
spongebob-and-patrick-beach.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
So anybody knows anything about the second round of prematches? Patiently waiting:sorry:

So anybody knows anything about the second round of prematches? Patiently waiting:sorry:

Looking at previous threads, it seems they release the prematch offers the week after the final interview. The last interviews this cycle were December 16th. Now it was mentioned earlier in this thread, UTMB is moving to be a more match heavy school, so there is some speculation that there may not be a second round of prematch offers. Either way, if they do send out additional prematch offers, previous trends point to them being released Wednesday-Saturday of this week. So hang in there a little longer!

Reactions: 2 users
For first two years are Fridays off here?

Not per se, but they are very relaxed. I'd say 75% of the time you won't have new lecture material to go over on Fridays which is extremely useful and allows people to "catch up" over the weekend.

Sometimes, you'll have a couple of case wrap ups to attend for your PBL sessions, but they're very easy going. During anatomy (GAR) you'll get to watch (and possibly participate in) the anatomy game show "Who's Anatomically Correct" (WAC for short) which is always fun.

Whether or not you have new lecture material on Fridays, your day will typically end around noon. Sometimes you'll be dragged into practice of medicine (POM) activities well into the afternoon, but these are extremely easy going and there's no need to take notes. Some people find these to be a burden - I don't. You get participate in interesting discussions on medical ethics and I see it as a much needed break from studying.

GAR will arguably the the most difficult and strenuous module you take during the first two years due to the sheer volume of information you're expected to master. If you can get through GAR, everything else will be smooth sailing. UTMB will start you out slowly as well, even for GAR, so you get time to acclimate to the fire hydrant of information that is to come over the next couple of years.

man, I'm so hype. For the past 3 years on the forum, UTMB releases their second round pre-matching waves, typically on the Wednesday of the 3rd week of December. Plz Plz Plz. Expect me to spam my refresh button on that day !!! :)
Tomorrow is the third Wed in Dec!! Early Christmas present maybe??

If we want to update our transcript with our completed Fall 2016 semester grades for UTMB Galveston (or other TX medical schools), how do we do this? Should we contact TMDSAS and send them our updated transcript, or should we directly email the individual med schools with our new transcripts?

Thanks, and I hope Galveston sends out another batch of pre-matches tomorrow too!!!

I spoke with admin and they said if you have been under review for more than 3 weeks you've already been either given an II put on hold for rereview or rejected unfortunately :(
what does on hold for interview mean? Like "we'll interview later bc this person isn't as competitive"?

what does on hold for interview mean? Like "we'll interview later bc this person isn't as competitive"?
That's what it sounds like. Probably like borderline and very close to what they want, so they put you on the back-burner and pull your file when they don't get enough of the one's they wanted. Or you did make criteria but unfortunately they had a lot of other great applicants to invite that week, so they have to wait for another week.

That's what it sounds like. Probably like borderline and very close to what they want, so they put you on the back-burner and pull your file when they don't get enough of the one's they wanted. Or you did make criteria but unfortunately they had a lot of other great applicants to invite that week, so they have to wait for another week.

Interesting because my UTMB app received email was like in September and I interviewed last Friday. I'm ranking this place number 1 but not so sure now if I'll get in