2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the scholarships available and I'm not sure if they apply to accepted people. They all say medical students, but technically we aren't medical students yet. Are we still eligible for these scholarships?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking at the scholarships available and I'm not sure if they apply to accepted people. They all say medical students, but technically we aren't medical students yet. Are we still eligible for these scholarships?
Did you read the descriptions

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on when a good time to send a LOI is? I know movement typically happens early May and those who hold a Texas acceptance will be dropped from WL June 1st, so I was wondering if now would be too early to send one
Letter of interest or letter of intent?

Letter of intent
Personally, I think it's a little early but I'm just one person.

If it were me, I would wait until they start pulling people off or close to it. I'd check previous threads and see when movement typically begins to get a better idea.

So does anyone know where we can find specifics about loans offered by the school? I got my offer awhile ago but haven't found much information on specifics such as interest rates, deferred interest, etc. I need to decide what my best option is but I can't find these details. Is this just the Federal loan and I need to look up specifics outside the UTMB site? Also, does anyone know of a deadline to accept?

https://shp.utmb.edu/asa/Orientation_files/Admitted Student Abbreviated checklist REV 2-2-17.pdf
3rd thing on the list. Also, I spoke to a MS1 friend who said you don't have to have the immunizations complete upon matriculation. You just had to show that you started working on them. With that in mind, I'll hold off a bit on them haha
Lol this is like a totally different list from what I found (similar but different). Good to know about the background checks.

Does anyone else feel like UTMB is doing a poor job of making information readily available and concise? I feel like I've seen 3-4 different checklists and each had to be hunted down. I just wish we could get an email with a single PDF actually listing everything we need to do

Lol this is like a totally different list from what I found (similar but different). Good to know about the background checks.

Does anyone else feel like UTMB is doing a poor job of making information readily available and concise? I feel like I've seen 3-4 different checklists and each had to be hunted down. I just wish we could get an email with a single PDF actually listing everything we need to do
There's only one checklist you should be following for the school of medicine. It's readily available on the website and is in PDF format.

The checklist above is for the school of health professions.

There's only one checklist you should be following for the school of medicine. It's readily available on the website and is in PDF format.

The checklist above is for the school of health professions.
Ok this is one one I believe I followed but I'll double check. I did the portal page to do list and found a PDF checklist that was like immunizations, hospital background form, white coat, transcripts, find housing, etc

But I did stumble upon what appears to be some old ones as well, which had me confused

So does anyone know where we can find specifics about loans offered by the school? I got my offer awhile ago but haven't found much information on specifics such as interest rates, deferred interest, etc. I need to decide what my best option is but I can't find these details. Is this just the Federal loan and I need to look up specifics outside the UTMB site? Also, does anyone know of a deadline to accept?

The loan you received comes from fafsa and goes into UTMB to be dispersed to the student. It is unsubsidized with an interest rate of 5.31%. No deferred interest, this is grad school...subsidized loans aren't an option. Yes, this is a federal loan.

If it's not enough to cover your tution and cost of living you can apply through gradplus (higher interests rate) or private loans.

Make sure to apply for scholarships as well

The loan you received comes from fafsa and goes into UTMB to be dispersed to the student. It is unsubsidized with an interest rate of 5.31%. No deferred interest, this is grad school...subsidized loans aren't an option. Yes, this is a federal loan.

If it's not enough to cover your tution and cost of living you can apply through gradplus (higher interests rate) or private loans.

Make sure to apply for scholarships as well
Thanks! I don't know much about it and have a lot of research to be done but I'd been told today Federal loans for medical school didn't accrue interest until graduation. I guess that's not true

Ok this is one one I believe I followed but I'll double check. I did the portal page to do list and found a PDF checklist that was like immunizations, hospital background form, white coat, transcripts, find housing, etc

But I did stumble upon what appears to be some old ones as well, which had me confused

Attachments

• newstudentchecklist (2).pdf
    323 KB · Views: 67
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I don't know much about it and have a lot of research to be done but I'd been told today Federal loans for medical school didn't accrue interest until graduation. I guess that's not true
Yeah, graduate students are only eligible for unsubsidized loans such start accruing interest in school and throughout the 4 years.

Subsidized loans are only offered to undergraduate students and those don't start accruing interest until after graduation.

Both unsubsidized and subsidized loans are federal loans.

Yeah, graduate students are only eligible for unsubsidized loans such start accruing interest in school and throughout the 4 years.

Subsidized loans are only offered to undergraduate students and those don't start accruing interest until after graduation.

Both unsubsidized and subsidized loans are federal loans.
I thought I'd read somewhere that medical students were different and they wouldn't accrue interest until after graduation much like undergrad. I'll have to do more researxh

I thought I'd read somewhere that medical students were different and they wouldn't accrue interest until after graduation much like undergrad. I'll have to do more researxh
No we qualify as graduate students.

Either way, UTMB (medical schools in general) ispretty generous with how much they give with the instate tuition being so reasonable.

Unless you have a family with kids, help support your parents, etc. it should be enough to cover your extra expenses.

Gradplus loans are also available and I'd try to steer clear of private loans.

No we qualify as graduate students.

Either way, UTMB (medical schools in general) ispretty generous with how much they give with the instate tuition being so reasonable.

Unless you have a family with kids, help support your parents, etc. it should be enough to cover your extra expenses.

Gradplus loans are also available and I'd try to steer clear of private loans.
Thank you. Very helpful. I know very little about this since (thank goodness) my grandmother planned to cover a solid enough amount of my college tuition. And yes, the amount should be enough to get me through living costs, tuition, and extra costs

Thank you. Very helpful. I know very little about this since (thank goodness) my grandmother planned to cover a solid enough amount of my college tuition. And yes, the amount should be enough to get me through living costs, tuition, and extra costs
Awesome and NP!:)

Is financial aid miserable for anyone else?
My family earns >50,000 annually and received financial aid (including Pell grants) for undergraduate, but all of UTMB's "aid" comes in loans of $39,000/year.

I was expecting to take loans, but this is a little strange. Could it have been a mistake?

Is financial aid miserable for anyone else?
My family earns >50,000 annually and received financial aid (including Pell grants) for undergraduate, but all of UTMB's "aid" comes in loans of $39,000/year.

I was expecting to take loans, but this is a little strange. Could it have been a mistake?
Did you earn any money as well? Like did you have a job?

There's an option in mystar to see how contributions are being broken down.

Alright, thank you! I'll be working on those additional scholarships in the meantime.

To answer all the above questions, medical schools all give out pretty similar financial aid and overall it's terrible.

Almost none will give you any free money or interest free loans, unless you win an academic or diversity scholarship. Some top schools give away lots of free money to their classes, but those are the exception, not the rule.

What every school will do is offer you about $40,000 in loans at roughly 5.8% and additional amounts past that at 6.8% up to the total cost of attendance for the school (typically Tuition +20-30k for living expenses). Interest rates change year to year so they may be slightly higher/lower this year.

Basically, expect absolutely nothing in terms of financial aid at most schools regardless of parental income. What you see under financial aid is typical.
I think it's more on an individual basis with factors taken into consideration like EFC, SES, URM maybe, etc.

Anyone else enrolled in PREP? So stoked.

Anyone else enrolled in PREP? So stoked.

A group of us in DFW met up and are feeling the same! :)
Any previous students have any feedback on PREP?

A group of us in DFW met up and are feeling the same! :)
Any previous students have any feedback on PREP?

While I personally didn't do PREP, I've heard very positive things about it from the students who did participate. If you reach out on the class of 2021 facebook page, I'm sure you can get a lot more information from students who have done PREP ... a large number of the current MS1's are subscribed to your group and are providing advice when we can. :)

Accepted off the waitlist today!!! So excited to be going to UTMB.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations, Vrm445!! Were you notified by phone or email?

I actually received an email saying that my forms for matriculation were passed due, so I emailed asking if I had received that email by mistake because I was in the alternate pool. Then they called me in response to my email told me I was accepted the day before and that my acceptance letter was in the mail!

My score is also similar. How is your ec?

A lot of research experience. I took a year off to work, so I'm currently working in clinical research at a private practice. Shadowing, volunteering, teaching, and other non-clinical activities I enjoy.

Any OOS here any movement on wait list??

So I'm not on the wait list, nor did I send a letter of intent, but I got an e-mail saying my file is being reviewed. Anyone else?

OMG I got an acceptance!!! WHAT?!?!?! I already signed a lease in El Paso and got a large scholarship there. Was NOT expecting this!

Very excited for the people who have been accepted from the alternate pool! Have to say it hurts a little that they must keep passing over my application. Still trying to remain optimistic. Best of luck with your decision and good luck wherever you end up!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there is anything I must do once I've received my financial loans through FAFSA and they're on the portal? I haven't found anything but im worried I might need to like acknowledge or accept it or something. Of course I don't won't to pull anything out before I need to.

Does anyone know if there is anything I must do once I've received my financial loans through FAFSA and they're on the portal? I haven't found anything but im worried I might need to like acknowledge or accept it or something. Of course I don't won't to pull anything out before I need to.
You need to accept it. You could either accept all of it or a partial amount. There's also an entrance interview that needs to be completed. This through UTMB.