2016-2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys I have been hovering over these posts like a mad-man since prematch... I feel so happy and blessed to be accepted to UTMB!!!!! Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck for those that are still in the game. Can't wait to meet my new classmates =)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the email! :clap::love:

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED! 01:31 AM
I can officially stop restudying for the MCAT!!! :D

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! I hope it was a school that you're excited about :D
Yes!!!! Was my number one but last minute I ranked utmb 1. So I'm kinda happy I didn't get in here :) lol good luck y'all utmb is great! I went to nursing school here and lived in the island. You'll love it!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know if there's a facebook group for our class of 2021?

Yes!!!! Was my number one but last minute I ranked utmb 1. So I'm kinda happy I didn't get in here :) lol good luck y'all utmb is great! I went to nursing school here and lived in the island. You'll love it!

I'm glad you like El Paso! I know how bad you wanted utmb so I was bummed to see you didn't match there. I just matched to San Antonio. Congrats!!

MATCHED! YAY!! I received the e-mail at 1:31 AM!
I am so psyched! I fell in love with UTMB the minute I arrived.

Reactions: 1 users
OpenOffice can't handle ppsx files out of the box, and converting to pptx broke it. I'm assuming the song in the acceptance powerpoint is this? All I see is the filename of the soundclip, it won't play.

The Script - Hall of Fame ft. will.i.am

I'd read somewhere that the majority of slots were filled by pre-matching, so I was freaking out! Now I'm freaking out for a whole different set of reasons. And they've slowly shifted from "I'm accepted into medical school at UTMB!" to "I'm accepted into medical school at UTMB, and there's so much that I need to do!"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaAAAaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
I'm good. I'm a cool cat. Chill like the emergency conciliatory ice cream I had in the freezer waiting for failure that was secretly celebratory ice cream all along. If only I'd just opened my eyes and believed in myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was debating between UTMB and another school for my first and second choice. Ended up at the other school, but congratulations to everyone who matched UTMB! I loved it there!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OOS applicant interviewed in October..still haven't heard anything yet..

Do we know when waitlist emails will go out?
The acceptances for waitlist go out as people start declining offers from UTMB. I think only 5-10 people got off the waitlist according to last year's thread.

Last edited:
They go out as people start declining their offers from UTMB. Which may not be for a while. I think only 5-10 people got off the waitlist according to last year's thread.
Not true...last couple of threads from past years they went out 1-3 days after match day.

I doubt they'll wait till people start declining before notifying individuals who are on the alternate list.

As far as making offers to individuals in the alternate list, this may vary and is usually dependent on people who release their seats to higher ranked schools.

Did anyone else accept admission and had their application show incomplete on MyStar?

Did anyone else accept admission and had their application show incomplete on MyStar?
Same. Since I accepted the acceptance, am I not on McGovern's (1st choice) waitlist anymore????

It's normal to get the incomplete status after you accept the offer.

Now just send in your transcripts and criminal background check form directly to UTMB, and the status will change to complete shortly after.

You should be getting a small acceptance packet in the mail within a few days.

Did anyone else get an email that they are in the UTMB alternate pool? Very confused since I matched to a school that I ranked higher

Did anyone else get an email that they are in the UTMB alternate pool? Very confused since I matched to a school that I ranked higher

I got the email about the alternate list as well. I would email Theresa because I read it is possible to withdraw from the alternate pool.

This happened to my son last year : he matched at the school he had ranked #2, was offered WL spots at the schools he had ranked 1 and 3.

Happens all the time. Don't worry about it, you should be pulled off soon.

Will they replace individuals who withdraw from the alternate pool due to getting into a higher ranked school? Or will the pool just become smaller?

Will they replace individuals who withdraw from the alternate pool due to getting into a higher ranked school? Or will the pool just become smaller?
"Applicants holding a position at a Texas school will automatically be withdrawn from the alternate pool at this time."

So once people start accepting the school that they got ranked higher in, they will be remove all of them after June 1.

Officially in the pool
We'll see how this plays out
By any chance you're an OOS applicant? I find it shocking that you have 4 acceptances, with UTMB being your only waitlist.

No I'm IS, 3 of my 4 acceptances were OOS. Matched at one TMDSAS school& WL at UTMB
Ok makes sense. I got WL at utmb too. Happy swimming with ya!

Reactions: 1 users
This happened to me too. Are we the same person? We even both love Zoidberg!
If the school you picked is UTSW then we are definitely twins.

This happened to me too. Are we the same person? We even both love Zoidberg!
If the school you picked is UTSW then we are definitely twins.

Haha that is the school that I picked! Twins for sure. Futurama brings me life :highfive:

Noticed some to things listed under "to do list" on the portal today. Y'all check it out too! Also, what stuff have y'all done from that long list of things we need to do? I've done transcripts, the AAMC form, the criminal justice back ground check thing for the prison I think. As for the official background check, I noticed it says we have to do it after March 1st and pay for it ourselves.

Noticed some to things listed under "to do list" on the portal today. Y'all check it out too! Also, what stuff have y'all done from that long list of things we need to do? I've done transcripts, the AAMC form, the criminal justice back ground check thing for the prison I think. As for the official background check, I noticed it says we have to do it after March 1st and pay for it ourselves.

Which background check are you talking about?

I've done all of those things as well. I also checked to see if I am up-to-date on my immunizations. I have everything accept the TB skin test; I'll do that closer to when school starts since we have to get it once a year.

There's also the white coat size form and field house form but that's not as urgent as transcripts and immunizations

I've done all of those things as well. I also checked to see if I am up-to-date on my immunizations. I have everything accept the TB skin test; I'll do that closer to when school starts since we have to get it once a year.

There's also the white coat size form and field house form but that's not as urgent as transcripts and immunizations

If I graduated before the application cycle I do not need to resend transcripts right?

If I graduated before the application cycle I do not need to resend transcripts right?
I would send it even if you don't think you have to. Why risk your chance in med school for $10-15.

No not directly, but doesnt TMDSAS send the transcripts to the schools when applied?
Nope lol, not at all. UTMB has to receive them directly from the institutions you've attended.

Tmdsas will not send transcripts for you.

https://shp.utmb.edu/asa/Orientation_files/Admitted Student Abbreviated checklist REV 2-2-17.pdf
3rd thing on the list. Also, I spoke to a MS1 friend who said you don't have to have the immunizations complete upon matriculation. You just had to show that you started working on them. With that in mind, I'll hold off a bit on them haha

https://shp.utmb.edu/asa/Orientation_files/Admitted Student Abbreviated checklist REV 2-2-17.pdf
3rd thing on the list. Also, I spoke to a MS1 friend who said you don't have to have the immunizations complete upon matriculation. You just had to show that you started working on them. With that in mind, I'll hold off a bit on them haha
I'd get that hepatitis B titer done sooner than later. a decent amount of people are actually not immune and have to repeat the immunization series/titer again. It's annoying to do during school especially since it's a 3 shot series over several months.

Looks like financial aid packages have started rolling out...one of the benefits of filing fafsa early I guess :)