2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could still be waiting to hear if you get an interview or not since July... head up everyone it'll all work out for the best (or so I've been frequently told by my mom)

Reactions: 1 user
I want to apply to USC this coming summer; what are your chances with a 3.72 / 516 MCAT?

UCB is my ugrad, BME maujor

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of a bummer about them not releasing decisions today. Here's to another two or four weeks...

I want to apply to USC this coming summer; what are your chances with a 3.72 / 516 MCAT?

Go for it!

My friend is a student there now and had literally those exact same stats.

Your stats definitely won't an issue for you. I have almost the same GPA and MCAT as you and was accepted this cycle! Based on my interview, they really do try to find passionate and interesting people, so at this point, it'll be your ECs and essays that would be key.

Accepted! Interviewed the week of 10/17. G' luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED this past Friday!! Interviewed the week of 10/17...Really caught me off guard since they told me it would be another couple of weeks when I called. Good Luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 5 users
Getting very excited about my interview here on 12/2. Can anybody provide any insight into the day?

ACCEPTED this past Friday!! Interviewed the week of 10/17...Really caught me off guard since they told me it would be another couple of weeks when I called. Good Luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Great news! Interviewed the same week as you so hopefully that means I'll hear back soon too.

Getting very excited about my interview here on 12/2. Can anybody provide any insight into the day?

Do you have any specific questions about it? There's an interview day schedule on the portal if you haven't seen it yet.

+1, super stoked but that USC Keck price tag

Do you have any specific questions about it? There's an interview day schedule on the portal if you haven't seen it yet.

Mostly just what the interviews themselves are like! Conversational? Stressful? I saw they are closed-file, but just trying to get a feel of the vibe.

Also, how big is the group of interviewees?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly just what the interviews themselves are like! Conversational? Stressful? I saw they are closed-file, but just trying to get a feel of the vibe.

Also, how big is the group of interviewees?

The early and later groups combined into 16-20 interviewees total. Both the faculty member and medical student interviews were closed file, very conversational, and stress free. Seemed like they were just trying to get a feel for how you are as a person.

II invite just now! Does anyone know what percentage of out-of-state interviewees get acceptance roughly? MSAR does not have this information for some reason.

Reactions: 4 users
II this am

Complete early July, LizzyM ~72, IS

Earliest available dates were late Feb, although I know a friend last cycle who rcvd a II late Feb and interviewed in March so those still waiting keep your heads up!

Reactions: 4 users
II invite just now! Does anyone know what percentage of out-of-state interviewees get acceptance roughly? MSAR does not have this information for some reason.
No idea. Though didn't read anything in last years thread that suggested they prefer OOS or IS (probably because it's private).

Whats the protocol for providing updates??

Thanks in advance!

To quote the dean, "Even if you get a publication in Nature don't send an update."

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe Tuesday will bring good news...

Last edited:
I am OOS and kind of gave up on this school and didn't submit the secondary. Yet want to try again. It's due Dec 1st so I will put my heads up and do it, even though a lot of people will say what they want.

I am OOS and kind of gave up on this school and didn't submit the secondary. Yet want to try again. It's due Dec 1st so I will put my heads up and do it, even though a lot of people will say what they want.
You miss every shot that you don't take. If its a top choice and you have the money, there's no harm in trying.

Being complete in June and still having silence from Keck is confusing to me. This is worse than super-liking someone on tinder and never getting a match. Keck, please swipe right on me. I promise I'm worth it.

Reactions: 9 users
You got accepted?!?!?!? :O
Being complete in June and still having silence from Keck is confusing to me. This is worse than super-liking someone on tinder and never getting a match. Keck, please swipe right on me. I promise I'm worth it.
Same boat here. All my friends with a similar MCAT score (definitely below the matriculant average) have already been rejected, so I'm getting pretty nervous

Last edited:
You got accepted?!?!?!? :O

Same boat here. All my friends with a similar MCAT score (definitely below the matriculant average) have already been rejected, so I'm getting pretty nervous
Yeah a while ago! but after talking to friends and family over break it seems like Keck is my best option. We shall see though. Still a long time till April.

Does anyone know approximately how far in USC is w/regard to IIs? Would be honored and delighted to get an II here and been complete since early Sep. without a word!

Yeah a while ago! but after talking to friends and family over break it seems like Keck is my best option. We shall see though. Still a long time till April.
Congrats! It definitely is a fantastic school in terms of location, education and opportunities etc.

So who's joining me in tomorrow's biweekly constantly-check-if-USC-accepts-you email game?

Does anyone know approximately how far in USC is w/regard to IIs? Would be honored and delighted to get an II here and been complete since early Sep. without a word!

Friend got an II last week and scheduled interview for February.

could anyone (II/accepted people) comment on emphasis on research for this school?

any weak research background with good news?

could anyone (II/accepted people) comment on emphasis on research for this school?

any weak research background with good news?
I'm pretty sure they have a strong emphasis on research. There was a detailed post on Reddit a few weeks ago from an accepted student who went to USC for undergrad as well. He was basically saying that USC is trying really hard to climb the ranks (both Keck and the university at large), so they really really want research and make it a requirement in med school. He also said that the other type of student they look for is the type that wants to work with the underserved. But I feel like research and working with the underserved usually go hand in hand, since county hospitals tend to be affiliated with a university.

accepted today! :) interviewed two weeks back

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Do the emails roll out over the course of the day? Interviewed back in October and still nothing.

thank you! i would say quite research heavy. i've been involved in it since my freshman year in college, and i get really excited whenever i talk about it. during my interview i whipped out a sheet of paper and began outlining my current organic chemistry project with various structures and reactions, which the interviewer seemed to appreciate :laugh:

thank you! i would say quite research heavy. i've been involved in it since my freshman year in college, and i get really excited whenever i talk about it. during my interview i whipped out a sheet of paper and began outlining my current organic chemistry project with various structures and reactions, which the interviewer seemed to appreciate :laugh:
thank you for your reply. did they ask you specifically about your research or was it kinda brought up in the midst of your interview?

FWIW, I received an interview invite back in September with zero research experience. However, I'm non-trad with a teaching background and emphasis on working with underserved populations

Last edited:
I cancelled my interview and withdrew my app today. In light of other acceptances, I couldn't justify dropping 500-700 dollars on a trip out to LA.

I hope one of you gets my spot!

I cancelled my interview and withdrew my app today. In light of other acceptances, I couldn't justify dropping 500-700 dollars on a trip out to LA.

I hope one of you gets my spot!

:O best of luck with the rest of your schools!

I interviewed 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard back regarding my admissions decision. Dr. Arias said 2-4 weeks at my interview but obviously it's well past that now. Anyone have any idea when decisions are coming out? Every time I try to call the admissions office no one picks up.
I'm trying to be patient but if I get in here it'd save me a lot of money as I would withdraw from my other interviews so I'm dying to hear back...