2016-2017 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also rejected today Pre-II

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did not know they gave out post interview rejections without pooling first. Sorry to hear that for some of you guys.

To the people who received post interview rejections, were you IS or OOS?

OOS LizzyM is 69-70

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Noticed my financial award letter was posted this morning...first peek at my future debt :(

Last edited:
Noticed my financial award letter was posted this morning...first peek at my future debt :(
I don't believe they are reflecting the final award amounts yet. Otherwise I'm in for a world of hurt...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe they are reflecting the final award amounts yet. Otherwise I'm in for a world of hurt...
I sure hope you're right! Seeing "$0.00" for grants and scholarships, as well as an expected family contribution (don't know where that's coming from...), was painful.
@Gingy where was the letter posted?
It was posted on MyUI, the university's portal, under Student Finances > Award Notification (Fall 2017) > View Award Letter.

Reactions: 2 users
I sure hope you're right! Seeing "$0.00" for grants and scholarships, as well as an expected family contribution (don't know where that's coming from...), was painful.

It was posted on MyUI, the university's portal, under Student Finances > Award Notification (Fall 2017) > View Award Letter.

Mine was updated multiple times prior to the final amount. If they didn't send you a final award email (you just saw it on your own), then there is the still the possibility of changes. They might just have your costs calculated for loan eligibility, but not yet processed need-based grants or merit-based aid.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine was updated multiple times prior to the final amount. If they didn't send you a final award email (you just saw it on your own), then there is the still the possibility of changes. They might just have your costs calculated for loan eligibility, but not yet processed need-based grants or merit-based aid.

What @Cawolf said I got a financial aid package in March and then it was updated in April.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
What @Cawolf said I got a financial aid package in March and then it was updated in April.
They sent an e-mail notification regarding the award letter, which appeared to have been updated a couple times prior (without e-mail notification and in quick succession). But it's definitely possible that grants and merit-based aid haven't been awarded yet. I'll cross my fingers that that's the case; Eleanor's experience makes me optimistic. :)

They sent an e-mail notification regarding the award letter, which appeared to have been updated a couple times prior (without e-mail notification and in quick succession). But it's definitely possible that grants and merit-based aid haven't been awarded yet. I'll cross my fingers that that's the case; Eleanor's experience makes me optimistic. :)
Interesting, my had has been posted since Jan 18th, but I've yet to receive an email. :thinking:

It is really hard to say. I would imagine nothing is final yet though.

Your aid package will really depend on whether you received merit aid (expect that to be added) and if you get a need-based grant from the college of medicine.

When you click on award notification, is there a yellow box that says the below?

Your award is currently being reviewed by a Departmental office. Although Department awards may be displayed, they are subject to change.
Once the review is complete, an email will be sent to you so you can return to MyUI and view your Award Letter.

I know that I just checked my package for next year and a college of medicine grant is not in there at this time.

Your aid package will really depend on whether you received merit aid (expect that to be added) and if you get a need-based grant from the college of medicine.

When you click on award notification, is there a yellow box that says the below?

Your award is currently being reviewed by a Departmental office. Although Department awards may be displayed, they are subject to change.
Once the review is complete, an email will be sent to you so you can return to MyUI and view your Award Letter.

I know that I just checked my package for next year and a college of medicine grant is not in there at this time.
I don't see a yellow box with that text. Not sure what to make of that...seems like the awards are at different stages of processing. Do most IS students receive some form of merit or grant aid?
Interesting, my had has been posted since Jan 18th, but I've yet to receive an email. :thinking:
Mine was first posted on January 18th, but has since been updated twice. Interesting indeed :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user

I have the yellow box.

I don't see a yellow box with that text. Not sure what to make of that...seems like the awards are at different stages of processing. Do most IS students receive some form of merit or grant aid?

It may be the final one then, but I am not sure. You could always call financial aid at the college of medicine and ask. They would be able to address any of your concerns. I am OOS, so not sure about IS people.

I have the yellow box.

Then it is not final yet, and it needs to go through some departments to finalize the aid.

Reading a book about growth and taking risks to further yourself. Iowa will cost more money than my IS school but IF I get in, the opportunities to grow as a person and as a professional seem so high. Really hoping this swim in the pool ends happily.

anyone received scholarship information yet?
Received my financial aid package with official email a week or so ago. Received no scholarships or grants. In the fine print it says there's a parental income threshold, if you exceed that, you aren't considered for scholarships or grants through the college of medicine.

Anybody know how many people have been accepted thus far?

any current students can comment on the match, such as overall Carver graduates matched well, and research opportunity at Carver?

Sooo does anyone know/have an estimate of what day final pool decisions will be released?

Sooo does anyone know/have an estimate of what day final pool decisions will be released?
My guess would be March 7th based on last year's thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone planning on applying to the SRF/moving into Iowa City early (May) and looking for a roommate?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many spots the IS waitlist moved last year?
It moved about 25 positions, based on where I started versus where I ended.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many spots the IS waitlist moved last year?
Just FYI, someone posted this on last year's thread -

IS movement for the last four years is:
2015: 34
2014: 28
2013: 31
2012: 31

Anyone have any info on historic waitlist movement for OOS?

Just FYI, someone posted this on last year's thread -

IS movement for the last four years is:
2015: 34
2014: 28
2013: 31
2012: 31
Does anyone know the out of state movement? Is it about the same as IS?

Anyone have any info on historic waitlist movement for OOS?
Does anyone know the out of state movement? Is it about the same as IS?
Last year (around May 19th) someone reported to be accepted off of the OOS wait list from the 22nd spot. So I'm assuming it probably went slightly beyond that before reaching the final number.
In 2015, there were 15 OOS students accepted off of the OOS wait list, which was described as "abnormally low" by the admissions staff. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 6 users
If we receive a need-based grant for our first year, will we likely receive the need-based grant every year? Or is it usually just a first year grant?

If we receive a need-based grant for our first year, will we likely receive the need-based grant every year? Or is it usually just a first year grant?

I was told that my need-based grants and merit-based aid would repeat annually unless funding issues occurred. I am an M1, so limited data, but my aid is the same for next year.

I was told that my need-based grants and merit-based aid would repeat annually unless funding issues occurred. I am an M1, so limited data, but my aid is the same for next year.

awesome! thank you :)

March 7th can't come fast enough

Reactions: 3 users
March 7th can't come fast enough

I hear back from OSU the same day, and at the rate Sinai is going, probably somewhere around there. It's gonna be a bad week of midterms + anxiety before spring break. Please let me enjoy spring break unlike winter break Iowa, I will love you forever.

Are we sure it's going to be March 7, or is anytime before March 15 the only guaranteed date?
The last two years have been on a Tuesday, so I'm assuming (hoping) that there is a good chance we hear on the 7th. If not, then probably the 14th. And like everything else that is applying to medical school, they will likely make us wait until the 14th.

Reactions: 3 users
Just a reminder if anyone has any questions for an M1 feel free to post them or PM me.