2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, when is the CTE deadline? I hope it works out. I know carver is the most transparent about their waitlist than any other school I’ve seen. What’s your approximate position now and where did you start at? It’s tough to go by the waitlist movement they have on the MSAR mainly because it fluctuates every year

I think soon like July 20th. I'm not hopeful either I'm at #5.

Members don't see this ad.

CTE deadline is July 22, later than almost every single MD school in the US. I am currently OOS 1-5, started 55-60. Past years of WL acceptance offers are 30-40 excluding applicants withdrawing from the WL, which is why I thought I had a solid shot. I thought the new traffic rules would cause more WL movement, but obviously that hasn't held up. I attended 9 interviews and I'd take Iowa over any of them, my reasons for medicine were so specifically tied to research/opportunities/my interest in primary care for Iowa that I can't see myself anywhere else, but I have no choice. Maybe I'll take another shot when applying for residency but this upcoming rejection is a real punch in the gut.

Are any other IS waitlisters feeling this way too?

Are any other IS waitlisters feeling this way too?

Absolutely. I started at IS 13, and have been sitting at 1 for over a month. I am a third time applicant (which means I have to take a year off and would get only one more chance the following cycle). At first I was really confident as lowest it’s ever moved was 18, and it has ranged regularly between 20-30. I have worked for the university in research for 2 years now, I’m from a small town less than an hour away from IC, and I think I want to practice primary care in Iowa, likely rural. I mean, I guess those things don’t really bear any weight now that we already have been ranked, but I just feel like this school would be the most perfect fit for me, and I am so close.

But now that we are so near to orientation, I am thinking it is not likely that someone would give up their guaranteed IS seat to move elsewhere at the last second. It is just wildly unfortunate for everyone that WL movement has been stalled so severely this year. At this point I’m just really hoping someone decides to defer to take a gap year and travel or something. I mean, I’m so desperate, I’d be willing to take out a personal loan to cover someone else’s gap year expenses. Is that legal lol?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. I started at IS 13, and have been sitting at 1 for over a month. I am a third time applicant (which means I have to take a year off and would get only one more chance the following cycle). At first I was really confident as lowest it’s ever moved was 18, and it has ranged regularly between 20-30. I have worked for the university in research for 2 years now, I’m from a small town less than an hour away from IC, and I think I want to practice primary care in Iowa, likely rural. I mean, I guess those things don’t really bear any weight now that we already have been ranked, but I just feel like this school would be the most perfect fit for me, and I am so close.

But now that we are so near to orientation, I am thinking it is not likely that someone would give up their guaranteed IS seat to move elsewhere at the last second. It is just wildly unfortunate for everyone that WL movement has been stalled so severely this year. At this point I’m just really hoping someone decides to defer to take a gap year and travel or something. I mean, I’m so desperate, I’d be willing to take out a personal loan to cover someone else’s gap year expenses. Is that legal lol?
Right there with you. Maybe we pool resources and start a gofundme for one IS and OOS person? lol Got to be smart about this.

Reactions: 1 users
Right there with you. Maybe we pool resources and start a gofundme for one IS and OOS person? lol Got to be smart about this.

Okay here is the plan, everyone on the WL pitches in for some lottery tickets, we win, we donate all the money to currently accepted students to go on a dream vacation for their gap year while they defer their spots to us. Next year they all come back for their guaranteed spots. Fast forward 3 years and Carver has the best 2 graduating classes of all time. Win-win-win.

• Haha
Okay here is the plan, everyone on the WL pitches in for some lottery tickets, we win, we donate all the money to currently accepted students to go on a dream vacation for their gap year while they defer their spots to us. Next year they all come back for their guaranteed spots. Fast forward 3 years and Carver has the best 2 graduating classes of all time. Win-win-win.
This is a good plan, I like this plan

Reactions: 1 user
Moved 1 more OOS today. Currently filling out pre-matriculation paperwork at my PTE school, RIP. Cognitive Dissonance is strong.

Moved 1 more OOS today. Currently filling out pre-matriculation paperwork at my PTE school, RIP. Cognitive Dissonance is strong.

I believe with myself, you, shartastic, and brownpiano we have all OOS 1-4 covered on this thread.
Pessimistically, I suspect that the movement today was someone who had to CTE elsewhere, versus someone admitted to Carver.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe with myself, you, shartastic, and brownpiano we have all OOS 1-4 covered on this thread.
Pessimistically, I suspect that the movement today was someone who had to CTE elsewhere, versus someone admitted to Carver.
I agree that I think we have 1-4 covered. I can confirm that the person who moved was #1 on OOS. Maybe they got called up to the big leagues. Idk for sure.

I agree that I think we have 1-4 covered. I can confirm that the person who moved was #1 on OOS. Maybe they got called up to the big leagues. Idk for sure.
LOL damn you guys got tabs on everybody out here. Your info does help though (for clarity purposes, it is certainly a bad sign to have no CTE or PTE students withdraw recently).

LOL damn you guys got tabs on everybody out here. Your info does help though (for clarity purposes, it is certainly a bad sign to have no CTE or PTE students withdraw recently).
That we know of right? I guess for my own sake I am hopeful that whoever move today got the first acceptance of however many in the last push around the CTE date. But like I said, that is me being hopeful

Lmao, it feels like we're all conspiring together

Members don't see this ad :)
How has everybody been feeling as we are getting closer to the 22nd?
I'm feeling pretty terrible. IDK, I don't have a lot of hope left. I don't see what would make an IS student decide to relinquish their spot at this point, I'm hoping that you guys have better odds being OOS!

• Sad
How has everybody been feeling as we are getting closer to the 22nd?

Not feeling hopeful since I'm #4, I am trying to pour all of my mental energy into my reapp...the duke secondary is a monster omg

Don't lose hope guys, there is still movement! I got the call yesterday and everything updated on the portal today! I am going to be a Hawkeye!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Don't lose hope guys, there is still movement! I got the call yesterday and everything updated on the portal today! I am going to be a Hawkeye!!!!

so excited for you! also you definitely raised my heart rate for the next six days until their CTE deadline.

Wow congrats!!!! That is so exciting! I’m so happy for you, now get to Iowa City and kill it as a MED STUDENT!

Thank you everybody! I am still pulling for everybody and I am hoping that there is still movement out there for both IS and OOS!!!

I've moved one more spot today on OOS!
Probably from Shartastic's acceptance, no? Or was there even one more? Also do you guys think Carver is going to rescind people who don't CTE on the 22nd? I feel like they are too nice for that, but I don't see how else we could expect any more movement past that date. I am assuming that everyone will probably go from PTE to CTE then anyway.

Probably from Shartastic's acceptance, no? Or was there even one more? Also do you guys think Carver is going to rescind people who don't CTE on the 22nd? I feel like they are too nice for that, but I don't see how else we could expect any more movement past that date. I am assuming that everyone will probably go from PTE to CTE then anyway.

No, it's after Shartastic's. So spots 1 and 2 have moved.

No, it's after Shartastic's. So spots 1 and 2 have moved.

Wow, that's really good! Hopefully it was an acceptance and not just having to drop because of a CTE date or something. You are getting close now right?

Seeing as Iowa’s CTE date is a bit later than other schools, I wonder how many people had to forgo their waitlist spot when it’s all said and done

Yep, that was me! Pretty exciting that they've gotten to the mid-50s and their CTE date still hasn't happened yet.
Did you get accepted then?? Or did you CTE somewhere else? Either way, congrats!

Wow, that is so awesome! Thank you, did you have to give up a seat elsewhere then?

Just a comment for incoming students. Don't waste your money buying anything on the equipment list other than a stethoscope, even if it says required. I literally needed nothing else (except for a tuning fork I was told to have during the neurology clerkship and never used) throughout medical school. Also, during orientation, make sure to sign up for a lot of group mailing lists. You can always take yourself off the list at any time, and that way you can find some things you want to be involved in early on.

Reactions: 3 users
No movement today. Based on a phone call with Carver, it looks like their class is settled.

If any incoming students are looking for a place to live, my landlord has a couple 2 and 3 bedroom apps available. Literally rightt down the street from MERK. Send me a message and I’ll give you her number.