2016-2017 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students comment on what students wear to class everyday? Are jeans and a t shirt okay? Or, do we have to dress up more and wear khakis?

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students comment on what students wear to class everyday? Are jeans and a t shirt okay? Or, do we have to dress up more and wear khakis?

Shorts, exercise clothes, or anything you want - jeans and a shirt is probably the norm.

Some lectures (less than once a month) may require business casual and your clinical interactions will require professional dress.

Reactions: 1 user
can current student comment: what medical instruments should incoming student to buy?

Members don't see this ad :)
can current student comment: what medical instruments should incoming student to buy?

Stethoscope, but if you wait until orientation you can see the different models and colors in person. The prices aren't bad either, but you can always see them and order online after.

as an incoming M1, do we need to buy the medical instruments?
On the fb group, someone suggested that you mainly only need a stethoscope starting out and can decide what to buy later depending on what's needed

Did anyone else lose access to the ICON pre-M1 site? I don't see it when I log onto ICON..

Edit: turns out you can't access the site when they're updating it :thinking:

Last edited:
Can any current students comment on what bank/credit union they use? I'm leaning towards Hills, but not sure.

any current students can comment on which fitness center to use?

Can any current students comment on what bank/credit union they use? I'm leaning towards Hills, but not sure.
When I lived in IC before, the majority of the students used the University of Iowa Community Credit Union. However, they are primarily located around the surrounding areas and the East side of campus. Perfect for undergrads, but I don't know if that's too inconvenient for you.

If you're going to use University facilities, Hospital and MERF as well as many other grad programs are located nearest to the Field House, which includes a bunch of different indoor fitness options, pool, gym, etc. There is an awesome University fitness center that was built in 2010 located just across the bridge on the East side of campus that is also great for general fitness activities called the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. However, as with most things on the East side of the river, this is where the majority of the undergrads will be at, so idk if that's a deal breaker for you or not.

Wells Fargo is around, so I stuck with them. Hills is good and free, with locations in the hospital and around town.

Depends where you live. Downtown = CRWC, Coralville = HTRC, or in the hospital/MERF = Field House.

for current medical school students, can you comment where you guys usually eat lunch? bring your own or eat at cafe or restaurant? any recommendations?

for current medical school students, can you comment where you guys usually eat lunch? bring your own or eat at cafe or restaurant? any recommendations?
If you want to be financially responsible, bring your lunch. Mayyyybe treat yourself on food truck Thursdays, but buying food adds up very quickly. If you purchased food and a drink every day, you're looking at spending upwards of $30 alone on lunch each week. I will treat myself the day before an exam or something if I haven't had time to pack a lunch.

I also advise you against buying coffee everyday (easily another $20 a week). Every learning community has a Keurig or coffee pot and you can just bring your own k-cups to make.

But hey, if money is no issue for you, to each their own.

Thanks for the suggestion. but if no time to pack a lunch, is there a good place to eat? any recommendation?

Thanks for the suggestion. but if no time to pack a lunch, is there a good place to eat? any recommendation?
Yes. The Java House coffee shop has a pretty good spread of soup/salads/sandwiches or there is the EMRB cafe that is kind of a smaller version of the hospital cafeteria (and it's closer/right across from lecture hall). They have specials throughout the week as well (Wednesday smoothie days are quite popular). EMRB also accepts your student ID as form of payment, and will charge it to your university bill monthly. Java House has an app you can link to your personal credit card. Less frequently, people travel to the hospital cafeteria for a wider selection.

@EleanorAbernathy, thanks so much for the information.

One more question: for medical school students, do most of them have a car? do you guys usually drive to school or take bus or ride a bike?

One more question: for medical school students, do most of them have a car? do you guys usually drive to school or take bus or ride a bike?

Many people have a car, but it is not the main way people get to class. I would say the most common ways of getting to class are the bus, followed by walking or biking, and lastly driving.

current students, what is the "distinctive track", such as research, global health, etc.? How many people do this? does it help with match?