2016-2017 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Does (not) having a rural tab mean something?
In the past a rural tab has indicated acceptance. Not having it potentially means rejected or WL. Nothing is for certain though

Reactions: 1 user
i'm too scared to check if i have a rural tab or not..

If you're waitlisted, do they let you know your place immediately?

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted, reapplying probably way too high # damn sucks

Did people that reapply and get rejected talk to an adcom the first time?

I was rejected twice before and talked to them both times to see what to improve on

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I was rejected twice before and talked to them both times to see what to improve on

Did they give you 2 different answers the two times? From what I can tell from my application season, it seems like my interviewing is weak (I really don't think so) since my post-II acceptance rate was bad, so I just wanna make sure I'm not told "improve your interviewing skills" and not really know what do with that. Were they specific?

What's the typical number that gets pulled off the waitlist? Are their separate waitlists for IS and OOS?

Did people that reapply and get rejected talk to an adcom the first time?
Step 1: apply
Step 2: rejected pre-II
Step 3: talk to Kathi
Step 4: do what Kathi says
Step 5: re-apply
Step 6: rejected post-II
Step 7: ????
Step 8: profit

Reactions: 2 users
Did they give you 2 different answers the two times? From what I can tell from my application season, it seems like my interviewing is weak (I really don't think so) since my post-II acceptance rate was bad, so I just wanna make sure I'm not told "improve your interviewing skills" and not really know what do with that. Were they specific?

Well once I worked on certain things they pointed out the first time around, there was more that was suggested to address. First time around it I needed more healthcare related experiences and exposure in general. The second time my Mcat was becoming outdated and my personal statement didn't give depth to my motivation. Seemed like if there was something to improve on they made note of it and there were concrete things I could change. Got input from other students and docs too. Tried to do more than what they asked for. Don't give up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
What's the typical number that gets pulled off the waitlist? Are their separate waitlists for IS and OOS?

Yes, there are two different lists.

"For Iowa residents, here is the movement off of our alternate list for the past 5 years:

2016 - 19 spots

2015 – 31 spots

2014- 24 spots

2013 – 28 spots

2012- 31 spots

2011 – 24 spots"

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone accepted! It would be really awesome if those of you who'll be passing up on your Iowa offers, posted that information on here. I think we'd all really appreciate that (at least, those of us on the alternate list)!

Alternate list. Number 23. OOS. Whats the movement like for out of state??

Crazy fluctuation, from what I can recall seeing in the interview. Once as high as like 90, once as low as like 4. I think that the odds are good for you at your number.

I feel like I have seen movement mostly in the upper 20's to lower 40's when I scoured the threads several months ago. I however am 87th which will not do the trick haha.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like I have seen movement mostly in the upper 20's to lower 40's when I scoured the threads several months ago. I however am 87th which will not do the trick haha.

we're on the same page my friend and it's devastating :||||||||||||||||||

Alternate #48 OOS. I'm going to withdraw my alternate offer though since I was accepted into a medical school in my home state. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I'll actually be taking myself off the alternate list as well. I was just accepted to my state school! Looks like that alternate list is shrinking ever-so-slowly. Best of luck to you guys.