2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also am nervously waiting on the IS list to drop down! Hoping that there is more movement tomorrow than there was today
I feel like it will definitely move some more tomorrow. The deadline to commit or plan to enroll is today so people that are dropping from Iowa will be doing that by midnight. So a lot of spots should open up... fingers crossed 20 more which is a big reach lol

Members don't see this ad.

I was really anticipating much more movement today. Maybe the new rules affected immediate movement? If accepted students chose "Plan to Enroll", spots cannot move up right away.

I was really anticipating much more movement today. Maybe the new rules affected immediate movement? If accepted students chose "Plan to Enroll", spots cannot move up right away.
I think that they began too late in the evening to really penetrate the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the applicant has to inform schools about their decision via email. So there's a lag between making a decision, informing the schools, and schools acting on it.

I think the applicant has to inform schools about their decision via email. So there's a lag between making a decision, informing the schools, and schools acting on it.

Why do they have to inform the school via email. I thought schools can see if you have planned to enroll else where, they just can't see where...I might be wrong.

Why do they have to inform the school via email. I thought schools can see if you have planned to enroll else where, they just can't see where...I might be wrong.
Even if you change your intent on AMCAS, you need to follow the school policy for withdrawing or accepting. The policy for withdrawing from a waitlist or accepted position is to directly contact the school

Accepted off the OOS waitlist this morning!
Truly dumbfounded and honored that they would want me... not even sure how to process this. Applied here as my reach.

Stats: cGPA: 3.8/ sGPA: 3.7 | MCAT: 509 | ORM

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the OOS waitlist this morning!
Truly dumbfounded and honored that they would want me... not even sure how to process this. Applied here as my reach.

Stats: cGPA: 3.8/ sGPA: 3.7 | MCAT: 509 | ORM

What was your OOS starting position? And Congrats!

Accepted from the IS waitlist!! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Just called to see how the OOS list was moving. I'm in the high 20s now and they felt that it's a bit on the higher end for the list...if that helps anyone.

Just called to see how the OOS list was moving. I'm in the high 20s now and they felt that it's a bit on the higher end for the list...if that helps anyone.

What do you mean? They’re probably not gonna get to you? Did they say a number that probably has a good chance?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sitting in the mid teens right now OOS.

They said it's hard to say, not totally without hope but not very likely. They didn't give me a concrete number. I think you have a good chance if you're in the mid teens.

brownPiano, post: 20903427, member: 972097"]
They said it's hard to say, not totally without hope but not very likely. They didn't give me a concrete number. I think you have a good chance if you're in the mid teens.mid teens.
Why can't they tell if yesterday was the last day for movement for the accepted.

Why can't they tell if yesterday was the last day for movement for the accepted.
I was being stupid and didn't straight up ask if all the movement until April 30th has been from purely withdrawals or a mixture of withdrawals and acceptances. I just discussed my position #. Someone else could ask that...I got to get back to work lol being so unproductive at work since yesterday.

Reactions: 1 users
By combining the info of Anonymoose_65 with our own movement, we might be able to get an idea of how many alternates have been offered a spot and just how much more to expect. Anonymoose_65 states their starting position was the upper single digits. Let's assume 9. Assuming applicants are offered a spot in chronological order, and assuming Anonymoose_65 was accepted just this morning, then we can safely assume that as of this morning, 9 alternates at the most have been offered a spot. Furthermore, I myself started in the low 30s and am now in the single digits. That would suggest another 10-12 alternates in front of me have withdrawn from the waitlist. With last year's data indicating they pulled 31 alternates, I would say if you are currently between 1-20, you have a chance.

Last edited:
I will say as agonizing as the waitlist movement is, I really appreciate that Iowa has a ranked list. On the other hand, it is completely messing with me thinking about where the cutoff may end up.

I wonder if we will see a similar volume of movement or if it'll be slow from here on out

Pretty frustrated/bummed with how things have gone. IS list has moved only 10 spots compared to the past 8 years:

2018: 21
2017: 29
2016: 24
2015: 34
2014: 28
2013: 31
2012: 31
2011: 27

I don't understand why this year is the anomaly. I emailed admissions and they, too, are a little thrown off by this. They said "It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks."

Pretty frustrated/bummed with how things have gone. IS list has moved only 10 spots compared to the past 8 years:

2018: 21
2017: 29
2016: 24
2015: 34
2014: 28
2013: 31
2012: 31
2011: 27

I don't understand why this year is the anomaly. I emailed admissions and they, too, are a little thrown off by this. They said "It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks."

Perhaps with the new traffic rules that prevent schools from seeing an applicants other acceptances, we are feeling more embolden to drag out our decisions?

Perhaps with the new traffic rules that prevent schools from seeing an applicants other acceptances, we are feeling more embolden to drag out our decisions?
Especially if someone has selected PTE and not CTE. It works in that applicants favor because they will ultimately have more choices if they get off a waitlist, but that doesn't guarantee an acceptance for that school where they are PTE at. Could mean more movement at a later point.

Yeah I wonder if OOS is gonna be moving slowly from hear on out or what. Hopefully one spot a day lol

Slow movement the last couple of days but finally broke into the teens! Hopefully more movement in the next few weeks!

I just got the call from Carver. For any future and current applicants, I started on the OOS waitlist at 25. I'm wishing everyone that's still on the waitlist best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got the call from Carver. For any future and current applicants, I started on the OOS waitlist at 25. I'm wishing everyone that's still on the waitlist best of luck.
Congrats! Will you be attending Carver? Also, did they say how quickly they'll be able to give you the financial aid package?

(I started in the fifties and am now in the teens, so I am holding out hope I may come off the list in July or something)

Congrats! Will you be attending Carver? Also, did they say how quickly they'll be able to give you the financial aid package?

(I started in the fifties and am now in the teens, so I am holding out hope I may come off the list in July or something)
Yup, I accepted their offer, Iowa was definitely my top choice. I didn't get a chance to ask about financial aid to be honest because I was a bit caught off guard by the call. Best of luck to you, hope you get in as well.

I got my UI award letter 1 day after being accepted and the financial aid award letter 3 days after.

Can a current student or someone who remembers from interview day comment on the grading scheme at Iowa? I thought its was pseudo pass/fail with honors designation, is this correct? I have been urged by various students, from both graded and non-graded curriculums, NOT to attend a school that grades. At one interview, an M4 told me that, in his opinion, PDs can see through his school's honors designation and discern between the students that achieved As and those who did not.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Can a current student or someone who remembers from interview day comment on the grading scheme at Iowa? I thought its was pseudo pass/fail with honors designation, is this correct? I have been urged by various students, from both graded and non-graded curriculums, NOT to attend a school that grades. At one interview, an M4 told me that, in his opinion, PDs can see through his school's honors designation and discern between the students that achieved As and those who did not.

How does everyone else feel about this?
Grading is pass/fail, honors, and near honors. In reality, pre clinical grades matter far less than step 1 and clinical performance when it comes to how competitive you are as a residency candidate. IMO the only thing true pass fail systems do is take away the stress of feeling like you need to honor. I would let the grading system to factor in as a minor point in choosing your school, but I wouldn’t pick a school based on it. In just doesn’t matter that much in the end.

Thanks for your perspective. I have to say, I’m set on attending carver reagardless of the grading system lol but just wanted to know what others thought

Given there has been no movement since May 1st, are IS applicants assuming we are probably at the end of any major movement? Only moved the top 10 spots...pretty unfortunate.

Given there has been no movement since May 1st, are IS applicants assuming we are probably at the end of any major movement? Only moved the top 10 spots...pretty unfortunate.
Maybe not? It's possible that there will still be more movement once other waitlists start to move closer to different CTE deadlines. I am not sure about major movement but it would be movement none the less.

Yeah dude, I feel ya. I'm so bummed. I started at #13 and thought my chances were pretty good because the lowest it's been is 18 spots for in-state. Along comes 4/30 and almost nothing. It's so disheartening when my parents, friends, in-laws all text me asking if I've heard yet and I can't even say I've seen progress. I had just been telling everyone my wait would likely be over at the end of April, but here we are a quarter month out and it's still crickets. I'm glad that at least we know where we stand on the waitlist with Iowa. Their transparency has been very helpful throughout this process.

Do you at least have any other A's?

• Sad

Also, I called in on I think May 2nd or 3rd, and they said that 40% of the in-state class has CTE, everyone else is PTE or undecided I guess. Not sure what it is now, but after 4/30 at least 60 people were still waiting on something before fully committing. I feel like that's good news right?

^ I think that's really good news, I think you'll have to hold on for a few more weeks but I think you'll get good news!

Also, I called in on I think May 2nd or 3rd, and they said that 40% of the in-state class has CTE, everyone else is PTE or undecided I guess. Not sure what it is now, but after 4/30 at least 60 people were still waiting on something before fully committing. I feel like that's good news right?
I would think too that this probably applies to the out of state pool as well. Maybe that is me just being hopeful.

I would think too that this probably applies to the out of state pool as well. Maybe that is me just being hopeful.

I know that they were specifically talking about the IS pool, but I would venture to guess that the OOS would have even fewer CTE. So hopefully we all hear something good soon.

Can a current student or someone who remembers from interview day comment on the grading scheme at Iowa? I thought its was pseudo pass/fail with honors designation, is this correct?

It is fail, pass, near honors, and honors for anatomy, foundations, and each of the courses in the MOHD series. It is pass/fail for the CAPS and MAS course series. In rotations, most are F/P/NH/H. These grades play into AOA and class percentile, so they are factored in. I think the part that makes it lower stress is that the grades are not curved. There are generally "honors requirements" that can be met, by theoretically, everyone. Then, near honors is given out to make the top 40% or so NH or H. This means that you aren't competing with each other for grades. This translates into great collaboration. I have been very impressed with how my class shares study resources throughout my time at Iowa - you would think it is P/F based on the atmosphere. So while P/F might be nice, I think the grading at Iowa is done really well.

Hopeful for movement this week?

I am trying to be hopeful. There was a flash of movement on the OOS early last week but it slowed quite a bit by the end. Hopefully it picks back up!

Yea I moved 5 spots into the mid teens. It seems that the commit to enroll deadline is July 22nd I think so perhaps it'll be super slow until June/July.

I am meeting with admissions today. I will try to get as much information as possible on where Carver stands and how they interpret the next few weeks.

I hope so too! Also, I moved up a spot on the IS list today.

You rock! Hopefully your meeting with admissions goes well!

I was told, due to the new traffic rules, along with the variation in waitlist movement from year to year, it’ll be difficult to give a confident range. They don’t know if and where their acceptess have other acceptances, and with the CTE deadline in July, it could be a while before things are set in stone.

I was told, due to the new traffic rules, along with the variation in waitlist movement from year to year, it’ll be difficult to give a confident range. They don’t know if and where their acceptess have other acceptances, and with the CTE deadline in July, it could be a while before things are set in stone.
Yea, basically a giant stalemate until deadlines start coming up from my understanding.