2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just saw movement on OOS wait list by 2 spots. It had been a while, now from high 40s to mid 40s. Fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

IS list has moved 4 spots already. I was told last year it only moved once by mid April. I feel like this is favorable movement. Anxiously waiting for the end of the month!

Can anyone tell me how Second Visit day went?? I wasn’t able to attend. What was your impression of the school, city, student population, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So nervously waiting on the OOS alternate list, lets say I started somewhere in the mid 40s and have worked my way to the low 30s now. Anyone have any info and how good my chances are based on previous years? Would love to go to this school. Initially when the list was made, my spot moved up quite a bit probably from people withdrawing their position, but just don't know how things will go here on out (after May 1st?).

So nervously waiting on the OOS alternate list, lets say I started somewhere in the mid 40s and have worked my way to the low 30s now. Anyone have any info and how good my chances are based on previous years? Would love to go to this school. Initially when the list was made, my spot moved up quite a bit probably from people withdrawing their position, but just don't know how things will go here on out (after May 1st?).

It's pretty high mate, last year they pulled 31 off of the OOS list. And there has been so much movement already considering the fact that carver says most of the wait list movement happens super close to April 30th. I'm in a similar boat from high 50's to low 40s.

I believe almost all of that movement so far has from people withdrawing from the waitlist. There have not been a significant number of acceptances off of the OOS waitlist yet. That's what's making me nervous!

I believe almost all of that movement so far has from people withdrawing from the waitlist. There have not been a significant number of acceptances off of the OOS waitlist yet. That's what's making me nervous!

Maybe because no one has declined their offer of acceptance yet since they don't have too until April 30th. And everyone has been saying that schools will be more conservative with acceptances this year somehow cause of the new rules.

Reactions: 1 users
IS list has moved 4 spots already. I was told last year it only moved once by mid April. I feel like this is favorable movement. Anxiously waiting for the end of the month!
IS waitlist just moved another spot so thats 5. I haven't really looked into the new traffic rules too much but is the higher movement due to this and should we expect the waitlist to move more than previous years?

IS waitlist just moved another spot so thats 5. I haven't really looked into the new traffic rules too much but is the higher movement due to this and should we expect the waitlist to move more than previous years?

What are the new traffic rules?

What are the new traffic rules?

Pretty much you had to cut your acceptance list down to 3 by yesterday, 4/15, and cut your selection down to 1 by 4/30. This is to ensure spots open up faster than in previous cycles for applicants on the WL

Pretty much you had to cut your acceptance list down to 3 by yesterday, 4/15, and cut your selection down to 1 by 4/30. This is to ensure spots open up faster than in previous cycles for applicants on the WL

Is this suspected to have an effect on the quantity of WL acceptances? I feel like the 5 spot movement on the IS list thus far has been unusual.

Is this suspected to have an effect on the quantity of WL acceptances? I feel like the 5 spot movement on the IS list thus far has been unusual.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think you have to withdraw from any wait lists. You have to narrow down to one acceptance but can remain on wait lists at other schools.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think you have to withdraw from any wait lists. You have to narrow down to one acceptance but can remain on wait lists at other schools.

In my opinion, I don't think you have to withdraw from any school. These dates are just guidelines suggested by the AAMC to make the acceptance process more efficient. Each school has their own deadline of when you actually have designate that you're "committed" to their program, or they will rescind your acceptance. I think for most schools, these dates align with the AAMC suggestions, but for some, it may differ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be withdrawing acceptance (OOS), hoping you guys see some waitlist movement soon :)

Last edited:
I wonder if the OOS is over enrolled, and they first have to clear that then to take ppl off the waitlist? Or do they only initially accept as many ppl as there are seats for out of state? My portal doesn’t reflect you withdrawing your acceptance.

I wonder if the OOS is over enrolled, and they first have to clear that then to take ppl off the waitlist? Or do they only initially accept as many ppl as there are seats for out of state? My portal doesn’t reflect you withdrawing your acceptance.
The portal is updated manually. I do not think you will see the change in the order until Monday. Each update since March 8th has occurred on a Monday with the exception of this week, it occurred early Tuesday morning (I think to wait for the April 15th decision narrowing to finish).

Ohhh ok, makes sense. But do you think it’s 1 for 1 exchange? 1 person pulls off the acceptance and one person from waitlist is accepted? Or do they overadmit?

Ohhh ok, makes sense. But do you think it’s 1 for 1 exchange? 1 person pulls off the acceptance and one person from waitlist is accepted? Or do they overadmit?
If I remember correctly I think they over admit- i think they said for OOS they admit 100 for like 33 seats

Jeez :/ makes me feel like my chances are so low lol

The portal is updated manually. I do not think you will see the change in the order until Monday. Each update since March 8th has occurred on a Monday with the exception of this week, it occurred early Tuesday morning (I think to wait for the April 15th decision narrowing to finish).
Ahh, so I can stop checking the list literally twice a day? I feel both relief but also like I'm giving up a hobby...

Reactions: 2 users
So per the recent correspondence, are we not allowed to remain on the waitlist if we commit to another school?

So per the recent correspondence, are we not allowed to remain on the waitlist if we commit to another school?

If you select “Commit to Enroll” you are supposed to drop all other acceptances AND waitlists.

If you select “Plan to Enroll” you are supposed to drop all other acceptances, but can remain on as many waitlists as you’d like.

Each school has their own policies of when students are required to select Commit/Plan to Enroll.

Moved again on IS. Have moved six spots so far. One more week!

No movement today for me OOS

Moved 3 spots on OOS just entered high 30s! I'm hoping the list moves even more by April 30th and on April 30th. Last year they pulled 31...so if you know any dark magic that will get me into the 20s plz let me know!

Oddly, the IS list was updated again, not on a Monday. I moved up another spot today, making the total 7 spots before April 30th.

Moved 3 spots on OOS just entered high 30s! I'm hoping the list moves even more by April 30th and on April 30th. Last year they pulled 31...so if you know any dark magic that will get me into the 20s plz let me know!

Does this mean their class compromised of 31 OOS alternates? Or just that the waitlist had moved 31 spots after everything was said and done?

Does this mean their class compromised of 31 OOS alternates? Or just that the waitlist had moved 31 spots after everything was said and done?
Yes, U IA's data on MSAR for last year states that 31 OOS students were accepted off the waitlist.
That said, I don't believe that the majority of movement so far on the OOS list is due to people being accepted. My guess is that it's 2 or less. So (potentially) still a lot of movement to come!

Yes, U IA's data on MSAR for last year states that 31 OOS students were accepted off the waitlist.
That said, I don't believe that the majority of movement so far on the OOS list is due to people being accepted. My guess is that it's 2 or less. So (potentially) still a lot of movement to come!

I see. I’ve been wondering if the waitlist movement has been from those who are declining their acceptance or from people relinquishing their alternate spot. I think some guy last year or so stated he started in the 80s and ended in the 40s.

Yea I have moved a total of 6 spots this week on the OOS list. I think it has to be withdrawals and not really an acceptance issue.

I have some questions about clinical education I’m hoping someone knows or M3s/M4s can answer:

Are there usually other medical students on the same service as you? Do attendings tend to change during a clerkship, or do you work with the same one throughout? How much “hands-on” experience do you get? How much focus/education is on medical students rather than residents/interns (is there competition to get good clinical experience because residents do most of the work/have most of the attending’s attention)?

Just gave up my OOS acceptance. Feels weird because I loved Carver so much! good luck to everyone on the wait list!

Just withdrew my OOS acceptance. I legit loved Carver but in the end, it wasn’t meant to be. Good luck, everyone!

The oos alternate list is moving quite slow this week compared to last

Today is the big day. No movement on IS yet. Im assuming it'll be updated towards end of the work day?

Today is the big day. No movement on IS yet. Im assuming it'll be updated towards end of the work day?

It's moved 2 spots for OOS just in the last 2 hours. I think it could be an automatic update system now, as it even updated on Saturday.

Withdrew my spot on the OOS Waitlist- I started at #8 and had progressed to #4. Hope some of you will be hearing good news very soon!

Reactions: 1 users
The wait is stressing me out. I've literally checked every 15min today!

What spot are you guys on the waitlist (IS)? I'm currently at 22 and I'm really hoping its one of these years the waitlist moves a lot

Was hoping for more OOS waitlist movement today. Broke into the teens, but don't think it'll be enough.

just broke into the teens as well OOS, really want to know what my chance s are like from here on out.

What spot are you guys on the waitlist (IS)? I'm currently at 22 and I'm really hoping its one of these years the waitlist moves a lot
I also am nervously waiting on the IS list to drop down! Hoping that there is more movement tomorrow than there was today