2018-2019 University of Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I moved up 2 spots on IS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am meeting with admissions today. I will try to get as much information as possible on where Carver stands and how they interpret the next few weeks.
any updates on what you spoke to carver about?

any updates on what you spoke to carver about?
I apologize, I meant to respond. It was an excellent meeting. At the end of the day, making a prediction of how many more students get in will remain a mystery until the end. Around 45 students (IS) have yet to commit. It was guessed some movement may be seen around 5/20 when students need to commit to summer research or IMEI. On a side note, the feedback I received from my application and interview was incredible. If you haven't done this, Id recommend setting up a meeting to go over that...if you are IS obviously haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize, I meant to respond. It was an excellent meeting. At the end of the day, making a prediction of how many more students get in will remain a mystery until the end. Around 45 students (IS) have yet to commit. It was guessed some movement may be seen around 5/20 when students need to commit to summer research or IMEI. On a side note, the feedback I received from my application and interview was incredible. If you haven't done this, Id recommend setting up a meeting to go over that...if you are IS obviously haha.
That sounds like there is still room for some movement, which is good news! Hopefully that transfers over to OOS as well. If it is similar percentages, that probably means roughly 20 people would still need to commit on OOS. Probably me just being hopeful, but I think the OOS tends to have more variability at this point in the cycle. Just guesses though since things have been slow this week.

For future OOS/nonresident waitlisters looking back, I started in the low 30s and was accepted in mid may. I moved only 4 or 6 spots between march and traffic day. The day of and after traffic day, moved up another 5 spots, then moved about 2-3 spots a day until I was accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
For future OOS/nonresident waitlisters looking back, I started in the low 30s and was accepted in mid may. I moved only 4 or 6 spots between march and traffic day. The day of and after traffic day, moved up another 5 spots, then moved about 2-3 spots a day until I was accepted.
Congrats on the acceptance! It has been slow movement but always happy to hear good news on this thread!

So I would need abut 80K a year to go to Carver. Anyone else have this large of a loan burden and is it worth it? I have been offered 50K at a newer school but am unsure of the opportunities it will afford me.

So I would need abut 80K a year to go to Carver. Anyone else have this large of a loan burden and is it worth it? I have been offered 50K at a newer school but am unsure of the opportunities it will afford me.

80k a year total including COL versus 50k a year total w/ COL? So a difference of $120k, that is pretty significant.... I guess it really depends on the other school and how the standard of living would be there. At Iowa, if you use the total living loans you can have a pretty sweet walkable, modern apartment with all the amenities and not be worried about money. So, it would be hard to answer your question without knowing the other school, but gut instinct, $120k is a lot of money!

Reactions: 1 users
Full disclosure, I'm IS and my plan all along was to pick the cheapest option regardless of school. I'm fortunate that Iowa was my cheapest option. I also have a partner that pays the rent. That being said, to reiterate Cawolf, you can cover tuition and live pretty well on $80K in Iowa City. There is a lot of padding in your financial aid package. For example, if you get some roommates and are willing to make some sacrifices on where you live, you could nearly cut your room and board in half. If you already have a computer and you're cool with not getting any books (you don't need them and if you want them they are all online via the library) then you don't need any of that money either. The personal category is for insurance and stuff. If your parents cover that, then you are good. Realistically, you could reduce the total cost to $65K-$70K pretty easily. That's still a lot of money. I would think about your goals, what you want to do long term, and if/how each school can get you there. Caver is great, the faculty care about teaching, and you will get a great education. All the best regardless of where you go!

Oh my gosh thanks to you both. When I say new, I mean this newer school has only graduated their third class just this May, no research infrastructure (which was a goal form the beginning), no affiliated university hospital, no strong history or rapport with program directors. They are still getting the kinks out and were telling us about the changes for the entering class.

When I think about my goals, my question is answered. I do want to have a decent shot at ortho surg as well as a chance to land a competitive residency. In the grand schemes of things, after analyzing it, 120k extra is a lot, but it does come with more resources that I feel will pay off in the long run. Coming from my undergraduate institution, I understand just how much name recognition, robust resources, and a strong network contributed to my medical school acceptance in the first place.

Last edited:
no research infrastructure
I do want to have a decent shot at ortho surg as well as a chance to land a competitive residency

I mean if you want to do ortho, then Iowa is a pretty good choice being a top 10 program. There are a ton of research opportunities in every field and plenty of resources for paid research fellowships and other opportunities.

Oh my gosh thanks to you both. When I say new, I mean this newer school has only graduated their third class just this May, no research infrastructure (which was a goal form the beginning), no affiliated university hospital, no strong history or rapport with program directors. They are still getting the kinks out and were telling us about the changes for the entering class.

When I think about my goals, my question is answered. I do want to have a decent shot at ortho surg as well as a chance to land a competitive residency. In the grand schemes of things, after analyzing it, 120k extra is a lot, but it does come with more resources that I feel will pay off in the long run. Coming from my undergraduate institution, I understand just how much name recognition, robust resources, and a strong network contributed to my medical school acceptance in the first place.
Second @Cawolf, ortho here is super good. Also Iowa is awesome.

You have a tough decision to make for sure with these, and the others are correct about the opportunities at Iowa. I would venture to say however matching into competitive specialties is very intrinsic. Matching into ortho for example will depend mostly on your STEP scores, which doesn't have much to do with which school someone attends according to data published by the NRMP. The curriculum is irrelevant for high STEP, but rather how strong the students are individually, which is why top schools have high step scores. If you bomb this at Iowa, the "better school", you don't really have a shot at ortho, and you would likely land in primary care (no issues with this primary care is awesome, but may not be what you want), regardless of the "prestige". Going into primary care with a 120k scholarship at the newer school if this happened would be amazing to hit the ground running . Either way, both choices are great and you really can't make a "wrong" decision here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people on the OOS list still optimistic for movement? I know that there has been a lot of discussion on the waitlist support thread that movement still might be happening later into the cycle. It has been hard looking at the list only moving 1-2 spots the last two weeks.

Are people on the OOS list still optimistic for movement? I know that there has been a lot of discussion on the waitlist support thread that movement still might be happening later into the cycle. It has been hard looking at the list only moving 1-2 spots the last two weeks.

What was you approximate starting position and what's your approximate position now? I'm sure they'll be some more movement on/after Carver's CTE deadline.

What was you approximate starting position and what's your approximate position now? I'm sure they'll be some more movement on/after Carver's CTE deadline.
Started around 50 but I am now sub-10. My feelings have been constantly flipping between cautious optimism and extreme pessimism lol.

Started around 50 but I am now sub-10. My feelings have been constantly flipping between cautious optimism and extreme pessimism lol.

I'm at 11. I'm pretty sure it's over for me now. Already sent in my reapp, and am submitting secondaries soon.

I'm at 11. I'm pretty sure it's over for me now. Already sent in my reapp, and am submitting secondaries soon.
I am starting to get in this same mindset as well. I will most likely end up taking another year off to refresh my application. It's a double sided coin, with one side being able to recover mentally from this cycle and the other being filling the holes in my application.

Guys just wanted to say that I am down to #1 on the list, so hopeful you will see some movement as well!

Happy to hear that IS is moving for you! Any movement right now is good!
Yes, thank you! I was starting to get a little scared because people on the general waitlist support thread were starting to shift toward the belief that most of the movement is over and that this year schools will just see record lows in waitlist acceptances because of the AAMC rule changes. I really hope it is just delayed and that the movement overall stays within normal ranges. Where are you at now?

Yes, thank you! I was starting to get a little scared because people on the general waitlist support thread were starting to shift toward the belief that most of the movement is over and that this year schools will just see record lows in waitlist acceptances because of the AAMC rule changes. I really hope it is just delayed and that the movement overall stays within normal ranges. Where are you at now?
Just saw that I dropped to 6 on OOS! So that is a good sign because it hadn't moved in two weeks. It is definitely tough. That thread is definitely a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Some days I feel great looking there, others not so much.

So before I commit to enroll here, I have to email EVERY school I’ve applied to to withdraw my application? Or just the ones I waitlisted at?

So before I commit to enroll here, I have to email EVERY school I’ve applied to to withdraw my application? Or just the ones I waitlisted at?

I heard that upon CTE, AAMC send out a notification to all your other schools. It is up to them whether or not to automatically withdraw you from their consideration in waitlists. I would say that you should CTE and then send a quick email informing the others of your decision just for good measure, but theoretically they should be automatically notified by AAMC.

Moved 4 spots on oos, hoping for 7 more ... so close but so far ...

Do you guys think there is still some movement left for OOS?

Do you guys think there is still some movement left for OOS?
I am very hopeful after yesterday. I think there is some truth to what they are saying over on the waitlist support thread that as other schools reach their CTE deadlines, it will trickle to other schools. The question at this point is how much will come out of that. Also how much of it will be people dropping the waitlist at Carver vs. people moving from an acceptance to open up a spot.

How are IS folks feeling? Do we think there will be any more movement?
I have kind of stopped checking as of recent as I know my fate is out of my hands. But, I am curious what will happen. I wouldn't mind more movement!

I heard that upon CTE, AAMC send out a notification to all your other schools. It is up to them whether or not to automatically withdraw you from their consideration in waitlists. I would say that you should CTE and then send a quick email informing the others of your decision just for good measure, but theoretically they should be automatically notified by AAMC.

I moved up a spot today. Did you get the phone call? If not, must have been someone between you and me. Still moving though!

I moved up a spot today. Did you get the phone call? If not, must have been someone between you and me. Still moving though!

No call, sadly! But that means some people are still moving which is a good thing! Just gotta endure.

Anyone have thoughts on if the waitlist movement we have been seeing has been from people actually receiving acceptances or if it has been people withdrawing from the waitlist to go somewhere else?

Any currently accepted students on here that are doing the IMEI program? Could I possibly reach out to you?

I did it this summer, current M1. Was a lot of fun, we went out basically every weekend as a group, got to know the M2s pretty well and it was great for me since I was new to the area. You have exams every week but its up to you how seriously you want to take it since the grade doesn't actually count for anything. Looking back wish I took the studying a bit more seriously lol.
If you don’t mind me asking, did you receive a scholarship to this school?

You know what isn't helping my stress levels, the fact that the 2020 Iowa secondary portal is now open.

Any ideas on how much WL OOS movement will happen in the next few weeks?

Any ideas on how much WL OOS movement will happen in the next few weeks?
Hopefully a lot. Realistically I think we are at the point in the cycle where we are waiting for people who are already accepted to drop their acceptance at Carver in favor of a different school. I think a lot of factors play into this and really we are waiting to see what happens at other schools. I think the only firm date right now to have a better idea is Carver's CTE deadline. Granted that hasn't stopped me from frantically checking the portal.

Moved 1 spot OOS today after one heck of a dry spell.

Moved 1 spot OOS today after one heck of a dry spell.
Definitely a dry spell. I don't think they have pulled anyone off of OOS in a while. Hopefully with all of the CTE deadlines coming up that will shake up some movement. Hopefully there will be more movement off the list after the holiday

It's a long shot, but darn would it be nice especially now that I'm swimming in 2019-2020 secondaries...

Really wish this school’s CTE wasn’t so ridiculously late-although I am grateful for my current PTE school, Carver was an absolute dream almost come true. If i don’t move a handful of spots within a week I will be forced to commit elsewhere and someone behind my rank on the waitlist might get the seat instead, which is really depressing.

Really wish this school’s CTE wasn’t so ridiculously late-although I am grateful for my current PTE school, Carver was an absolute dream almost come true. If i don’t move a handful of spots within a week I will be forced to commit elsewhere and someone behind my rank on the waitlist might get the seat instead, which is really depressing.

Wow, when is the CTE deadline? I hope it works out. I know carver is the most transparent about their waitlist than any other school I’ve seen. What’s your approximate position now and where did you start at? It’s tough to go by the waitlist movement they have on the MSAR mainly because it fluctuates every year

Wow, when is the CTE deadline? I hope it works out. I know carver is the most transparent about their waitlist than any other school I’ve seen. What’s your approximate position now and where did you start at? It’s tough to go by the waitlist movement they have on the MSAR mainly because it fluctuates every year
CTE deadline is July 22, later than almost every single MD school in the US. I am currently OOS 1-5, started 55-60. Past years of WL acceptance offers are 30-40 excluding applicants withdrawing from the WL, which is why I thought I had a solid shot. I thought the new traffic rules would cause more WL movement, but obviously that hasn't held up. I attended 9 interviews and I'd take Iowa over any of them, my reasons for medicine were so specifically tied to research/opportunities/my interest in primary care for Iowa that I can't see myself anywhere else, but I have no choice. Maybe I'll take another shot when applying for residency but this upcoming rejection is a real punch in the gut.

CTE deadline is July 22, later than almost every single MD school in the US. I am currently OOS 1-5, started 55-60. Past years of WL acceptance offers are 30-40 excluding applicants withdrawing from the WL, which is why I thought I had a solid shot. I thought the new traffic rules would cause more WL movement, but obviously that hasn't held up. I attended 9 interviews and I'd take Iowa over any of them, my reasons for medicine were so specifically tied to research/opportunities/my interest in primary care for Iowa that I can't see myself anywhere else, but I have no choice. Maybe I'll take another shot when applying for residency but this upcoming rejection is a real punch in the gut.
Here is to hoping that maybe there will be some movement this week then!