2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jeez, that's no fun. But, I haven't received an II! Just waiting post-secondary over here. I know it's a rejection at this point, just think it's curious I haven't gotten anything by this point.

Yeah that's s*it. I'm really not a fan of how UCLA goes about the admissions process.

Reactions: 1 users
I think he said June/July. Ether way it's s*it
Yeah that's s*it. I'm really not a fan of how UCLA goes about the admissions process.

i COMPLETELY agree. i bet there's a pretty huge number of people who had acceptances at ucla and another top 20 and chose the other school because of how ridiculous and inconsiderate ucla is with this whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
i COMPLETELY agree. i bet there's a pretty huge number of people who had acceptances at ucla and another top 20 and chose the other school because of how ridiculous and inconsiderate ucla is with this whole process.

A couple of people I know withdrew from UCLA after seeing how their admissions process was post-interview. The lack of transparency, lack of communication, and delayed post-interview decision were part of their reasons for withdrawing. While it's expected that the post-interview decision may take some time to be finalized, it was disappointing that there was no communication for months after the interview and even weeks after the decision deadline at the end of April. They withdrew at the end of May. UCLA would have been their top choice, but they chose other top 10 and 20 schools because of the aforementioned reasons.

Take this post with a grain of salt. I'm sure not everyone feels that way about UCLA, but these things have happened every year and have been echoed several times by many others.

Reactions: 9 users
A couple of people I know withdrew from UCLA after seeing how their admissions process was post-interview. The lack of transparency, lack of communication, and delayed post-interview decision were part of their reasons for withdrawing. While it's expected that the post-interview decision may take some time to be finalized, it was disappointing that there was no communication for months after the interview and even weeks after the decision deadline at the end of April. They withdrew at the end of May. UCLA would have been their top choice, but they chose other top 10 and 20 schools because of the aforementioned reasons.

Take this post with a grain of salt. I'm sure not everyone feels that way about UCLA, but these things have happened every year and have been echoed several times by many others.

I can totally see this happening. I'm just in the awkward position of being on a waitlist and waiting on another school after an interview this month. So...I have no choice but to wait on ALL the schools I have a chance at. I wish I had the option to be picky.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I loved UCLA, I think my interview went well, and this is undoubtedly my top choice for sure. So my fingers are crossed and tied together.

Clearly UCLA is highly selective about who they want at their campus and stats alone are not enough. They clearly don't feel the rush to make acceptance offers as much as we do to hear them. Theonly reason I see their need to rush admissions offers now based on what I'm reading above is to stroke our pre-med neurotic egos..

....or... they are extremely conniving and a terrible culture to learn medicine in at which point, I'm sure current disgruntled medical students would speak out.

I would rather be accepted at the end of the cycle than not at all, so all I have to say to many people above is I'm just gonna try to keep ...

hqdefault.jpg

I loved UCLA, I think my interview went well, and this is undoubtedly my top choice for sure. So my fingers are crossed and tied together.

Clearly UCLA is highly selective about who they want at their campus and stats alone are not enough. They clearly don't feel the rush to make acceptance offers as much as we do to hear them. Theonly reason I see their need to rush admissions offers now based on what I'm reading above is to stroke our pre-med neurotic egos..

....or... they are extremely conniving and a terrible culture to learn medicine in at which point, I'm sure current disgruntled medical students would speak out.

I would rather be accepted at the end of the cycle than not at all, so all I have to say to many people above is I'm just gonna try to keep ...

Not everyone has an acceptance to medical school right now. So there are people who interviewed at UCLA who have to figure out what they're doing next year should they not be accepted anywhere: renew their lease (or not), find a job (or not), decide where/when to take classes (or not), decide to graduate (or not), and all of these decisions cost money and require a lot of emotional energy. So, no, the need to rush admissions offers now is not simply to stroke pre-med neurotic egos. But thanks for being compassionate and understanding to people who are feeling extremely stressed and out of control of their future.

Reactions: 13 users
Not everyone has an acceptance to medical school right now. So there are people who interviewed at UCLA who have to figure out what they're doing next year should they not be accepted anywhere: renew their lease (or not), find a job (or not), decide where/when to take classes (or not), decide to graduate (or not), and all of these decisions cost money and require a lot of emotional energy. So, no, the need to rush admissions offers now is not simply to stroke pre-med neurotic egos. But thanks for being compassionate and understanding to people who are feeling extremely stressed and out of control of their future.
To add to this, even accepted people have some difficulty (though this situation is much worse). If I plan to go to one school, then get the call in July, I've lost out on deposits, flights, etc. now this is a common scenario for anyone coming off a waitlist, but when at least a third of the class is accepted after April 30th, it's a sizeable chunk.

Reactions: 6 users
This fall I will either be at my dream school (UCLA obviously) or no school, as this was my only interview. My stressed mind is already trying to plan ahead for the worst case scenario and I find myself thinking things like, "If you interview well but don't get in, I wonder how likely they are to invite you back to interview the next cycle." I think all these feelings we are experiencing are totally normal, but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with. Sending hopeful thoughts to you all (while trying to keep myself busy on my day off today until it's time to check the portal tonight). I know there are a few of you in my same situation. Stay strong guys! (and distract yourself with food. it kind of works hehe)

Reactions: 5 users
Woah, excuse my sardonic style but please don't demonize me for saying some people are hating on the admission committee.

I sincerely apologize if I truly insulted someone though.

To Everyone, we may be colleagues one day. Let's stop pointing the finger and whining about committees and institutions we don't like or for which we don't understand.

Like many of you I also don't have an offer anywhere but I also do not to expect a ton of movement yet. Where ever they are with offers( Big wave, small wave, 1st wave or 2nd wave offers) people are still holding on to multiple acceptances and we should ALL know this. I'm a non traditional applicant and I've had a full time job before and left it to go back to school for this. I worked full time through undergrad and Postbac and everyone here knows the costs ($ and mental).

Geez, am I suppose fee bad to those of you get accepted to your top school late in the cycle after getting accepted elsewhere earlier in the cycle?
Everyone here should know what's they're happening next year. You are either going to start medical school and you are excited and nothing will stop you. Or, you're going to continue to take more classes and keep doing your clinical work and maybe try to get some research done and reapply.
My understanding is you get your deposits back if you obtained multiple offers and locked them down and you can buy the 15$ insurance on your flight and sublet your space. It's not Easy peazy but you're smart! Figure it out!
This is what medicine will often look, make the best of a non- perfect and at times terrible situation.

That's my opinionated response: the remainder of my responses will be
"Touché" for good rebuttals/burns and
"Take that" for rebuttals in my favor.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Woah, excuse my sardonic style but please don't demonize me for saying some people are hating on the admission committee.

To Everyone, we may be colleagues one day. Let's stop pointing the finger and whining about committees and institutions we don't like or for which we don't understand.

Like many of you I also don't have an offer anywhere but I also do not to expect a ton of movement yet. Where ever they are with offers( Big wave, small wave, 1st wave or 2nd wave offers) people are still holding on to multiple acceptances and we should ALL know this. I'm a non traditional applicant and I've had a full time job before and left it to go back to school for this. I worked full time through undergrad and Postbac and everyone here knows the costs ($ and mental).

Geez, am I suppose fee bad to those of you get accepted to your top school late in the cycle after getting accepted elsewhere earlier in the cycle?
Everyone here should know what's they're happening next year. You are either going to start medical school and you are excited and nothing will stop you. Or, you're going to continue to take more classes and keep doing your clinical work and maybe try to get some research done and reapply.
My understanding is you get your deposits back if you obtained multiple offers and locked them down and you can buy the 15$ insurance on your flight and sublet your space. It's not Easy peazy but you're smart! Figure it out!
This is what medicine will often look, make the best of a non- perfect and at times terrible situation.

While I see your point completely, I will say that I didn't really think anybody was trying to insult anyone or hate on the committee. I think this is just a place for people to vent about what's stressing them out. Yes, they know that they will figure it out, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to be hard and stressful to do. When we have this many people who, let's be real, are kind of competing against each other for a spot in a way, there are going to be a lot of comments about what's on peoples' minds, whether it be about taking a job, starting a class, signing a lease, moving across country, etc. For me, it's going to be finding a dog-friendly place to live if I get in. I live out-of-state in a city where about 90% of places allow dogs of all sizes. The area around UCLA has very few dog-friendly places, and the ones that are have size restrictions (like under 25lbs). My 95 lb fluff ball and I are going to have to hunt around a bit if I get in. So if I am going to be accepted, it would be more convenient to find out earlier rather than later (which I already know is obvious, and is on all of our minds).

Thank you for this. You are absolutely correct, please don't apologize to anybody. I think people are forgetting medical school is a PRIVILEGE. You all expect these institutions to cater to you? Really? If you all are so distraught over there admissions process, please withdraw, there will be applicants / interviewees (like myself) waiting to take your spot. If you haven't been accepted, you're on the waitlist, Dean Hall made that very apparent to everybody that interviewed prior to their interviews. I don't know how the admissions process can get any more "transparent" then that.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
So, I've been watching this for a bit, and there's obviously a lot that could be said on this topic. But I'll limit this post to three points (partly since I've got a rheum prep file to work through today).

First and most importantly: I'm very sorry to see that this whole process is causing stress and distress for many of the people writing here, especially as some of you will (probably, statistically) be my schoolmates here in just a few short months. I have friends who are going through this now, and I have friends who went through this last year and ended up having to reapply, and I feel for them. When I try to put myself in their shoes and imagine what it would be like to feel like I'm in "limbo," waiting on a waitlist and wondering if I need to retake the MCAT/reapply on AMCAS/figure out my plans for next year all while still wondering if one day I might get a call that I was accepted off of that last waitlist, no that does not sound fun at all. Neither does the thought of having to figure out all of the aforementioned last-minute living arrangements. Yes, this only represents one small setback of many to come if you enter medicine; yes, this medical school is a privilege; but no, I imagine that hearing none of that makes it feel any better for you. I hope everyone who is still waiting on a decision can still find enough time with family and friends and enough things in their day-to-day and to enjoy the coming months, without feeling like this is a constant cloud looming over their heads. Your ultimate goal here, I would bet, is to get into a medical school to become a physician. Maybe it won't be this cycle, and maybe it won't be this school, but you CAN and will achieve that goal, somewhere, eventually, with hard work and a little bit of luck. And once that happens, even if I don't see you here at DGSOM, I'll see you all at the national and international medicine conferences in scenic locations, that we're all only somewhat-subtly using as half-excuses to get a nice vacation.

Second point is regarding the timeline of acceptances after April 30th. If, when we accepted applicants off of the waitlist, we only gave them 1 hour to decide to accept the UCLA offer or not, then we'd be done filling our class a few days after the April 30th deadline, and everyone would have their final decision from UCLA before the second week of May. No school this, because every school understands that many people need longer to weigh their options before making that decision, so an acceptance offer after April 30th comes with a longer time period to think it over. (AMCAS traffic rules: After April 30th, a minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation.) Considering that a large percentage of our class is accepted after April 30th, that means it's a snowball effect every time someone UCLA accept after April 30th takes advantage of this time period before deciding, as that delays when the office can send the next acceptance. If you interviewed and did not receive a rejection, that means you still are in the running to receive an acceptance; I'm sorry that we can't guarantee that acceptance to be earlier.

Last point is regarding how you view different med schools' admissions processes. If there are schools whose admissions processes you especially appreciated, because you felt they were transparent, applicant-centric, or even just because they went above and beyond to provide you a particularly nice interview day meal, most/all admissions offices will value hearing that feedback from you. Wait until after you no longer have a stake in that school's admissions process (i.e., you're not waiting on a wait-list or acceptance decision). Then you can send an email to their admissions office expressing your appreciation for whatever specific aspects stood out to you. UCSF and Pritzker at UChicago were two that really stood out to me, and it was really difficult to decline acceptance offers there after having had such a great experience with their admissions processes. In the case of UCSF, Dean Wofsy (who is such a nice, thoughtful person) will personally email you asking for feedback on why you matriculated at a different institution if you decline an acceptance there, so it would be appropriate to tag this onto the end of your response to him. Otherwise, an email to the general admissions office inbox should do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
so how likely do we think it is for any of us to hear back tonight?

Reactions: 3 users
I can't stay calm right now. I'm so anxious. So I had a beer. I think I need another one

Nothing for me . Anyone heard anything?

EDIT: that one beer I just had was definitely not enough. Sigh

Last edited:
So, I've been watching this for a bit, and there's obviously a lot that could be said on this topic. But I'll limit this post to three points (partly since I've got a rheum prep file to work through today).

First and most importantly: I'm very sorry to see that this whole process is causing stress and distress for many of the people writing here, especially as some of you will (probably, statistically) be my schoolmates here in just a few short months. I have friends who are going through this now, and I have friends who went through this last year and ended up having to reapply, and I feel for them. When I try to put myself in their shoes and imagine what it would be like to feel like I'm in "limbo," waiting on a waitlist and wondering if I need to retake the MCAT/reapply on AMCAS/figure out my plans for next year all while still wondering if one day I might get a call that I was accepted off of that last waitlist, no that does not sound fun at all. Neither does the thought of having to figure out all of the aforementioned last-minute living arrangements. Yes, this only represents one small setback of many to come if you enter medicine; yes, this medical school is a privilege; but no, I imagine that hearing none of that makes it feel any better for you. I hope everyone who is still waiting on a decision can still find enough time with family and friends and enough things in their day-to-day and to enjoy the coming months, without feeling like this is a constant cloud looming over their heads. Your ultimate goal here, I would bet, is to get into a medical school to become a physician. Maybe it won't be this cycle, and maybe it won't be this school, but you CAN and will achieve that goal, somewhere, eventually, with hard work and a little bit of luck. And once that happens, even if I don't see you here at DGSOM, I'll see you all at the national and international medicine conferences in scenic locations, that we're all only somewhat-subtly using as half-excuses to get a nice vacation.

Second point is regarding the timeline of acceptances after April 30th. If, when we accepted applicants off of the waitlist, we only gave them 1 hour to decide to accept the UCLA offer or not, then we'd be done filling our class a few days after the April 30th deadline, and everyone would have their final decision from UCLA before the second week of May. No school this, because every school understands that many people need longer to weigh their options before making that decision, so an acceptance offer after April 30th comes with a longer time period to think it over. (AMCAS traffic rules: After April 30th, a minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation.) Considering that a large percentage of our class is accepted after April 30th, that means it's a snowball effect every time someone UCLA accept after April 30th takes advantage of this time period before deciding, as that delays when the office can send the next acceptance. If you interviewed and did not receive a rejection, that means you still are in the running to receive an acceptance; I'm sorry that we can't guarantee that acceptance to be earlier.

Last point is regarding how you view different med schools' admissions processes. If there are schools whose admissions processes you especially appreciated, because you felt they were transparent, applicant-centric, or even just because they went above and beyond to provide you a particularly nice interview day meal, most/all admissions offices will value hearing that feedback from you. Wait until after you no longer have a stake in that school's admissions process (i.e., you're not waiting on a wait-list or acceptance decision). Then you can send an email to their admissions office expressing your appreciation for whatever specific aspects stood out to you. UCSF and Pritzker at UChicago were two that really stood out to me, and it was really difficult to decline acceptance offers there after having had such a great experience with their admissions processes. In the case of UCSF, Dean Wofsy (who is such a nice, thoughtful person) will personally email you asking for feedback on why you matriculated at a different institution if you decline an acceptance there, so it would be appropriate to tag this onto the end of your response to him. Otherwise, an email to the general admissions office inbox should do.
After April 30, people only get one hour to decide? What if we missed the call or didn't check our email often enough?

Edit: sorry I misread that. You were making a hypothetical statement
Just woke up lol

After April 30, people only get one hour to decide? What if we missed the call or didn't check our email often enough?

Edit: sorry I misread that. You were making a hypothetical statement
Just woke up lol
lol good catch. tired reading never works well haha

Do you guys think one of us should grow some (a lot of) balls and call adcom?

I called yesterday because it still said Requested by my transcripts even though I sent them a while ago so I think that counts me out to call again. hehe

I echo the same sentiments as my colleague. The waiting game is definitely no fun, but at least try to do something that will take your minds off this anxiety-inducing process.

I feel like I remember Dr. Hall saying us later interviewers wouldn't really hear anything until the end of march on interview day. I feel like I've been stressing over this for no reason despite being warned about it.

I feel like I remember Dr. Hall saying us later interviewers wouldn't really hear anything until the end of march on interview day. I feel like I've been stressing over this for no reason despite being warned about it.
When was "later"?

I agree I think the only people who would have heard back up until now is sept-Jan interviewees and the wave at the end of march would be the first (and I guess only wave until summer) that feb interviewees would be able to hear back.

Do you guys think one of us should grow some (a lot of) balls and call adcom?

I called but found out absolutely nothing :/ the person who answered doesn't know if there will be any more decisions released before April 30th, if/when the admissions committee will meet next, if there are any decisions that the admissions committee has already made that just need to be evaluated by the scholarship committee...or anything else. Sorry y'all.

Early February
I called but found out absolutely nothing :/ the person who answered doesn't know if there will be any more decisions released before April 30th, if/when the admissions committee will meet next, if there are any decisions that the admissions committee has already made that just need to be evaluated by the scholarship committee...or anything else. Sorry y'all.

There has to be one wave before that. There's no way all of us interviewed without having a shot of being admitted first round before the waitlist movement.

There has to be one wave before that. There's no way all of us interviewed without having a shot of being admitted first round before the waitlist movement.
I totally agree. The person who answered just wouldn't tell me anything at all.

To the not yet accepted: Stop waiting on UCLA, and make decisions for the upcoming year that make you happy. I understand how you feel, and especially since it's time for my son to go to pre school and there's waiting lists everywhere. The whole admissions process is unfair and confusing. If I compared myself to those I know that have been accepted to schools it would make Absolutely NO sense. If you want to be a doctor, you will be one. You'll find your path, don't let society's perceptions of any route you decide to take deter you. Follow your heart!

The Facebook group now has 176 members. I'm thinking maybe some more acceptances did go out, just not to anyone here on the forum.

The Facebook group now has 176 members. I'm thinking maybe some more acceptances did go out, just not to anyone here on the forum.

No. Bad indicator, don't try to use this as a marker. All of those new additions are current students, or prospective students accepted weeks ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Best of luck to all of you who haven't heard back yet!

Question, can you bring your friends and family to the second look? The dinner survey seems to only offer dinner to the admitted student.

Does anybody have suggestions on where to take physics with lab in the summer?
I know I can take courses near my home but I'm wondering if there are any schools over in LA where I can take them so that I can move over early

Question, can you bring your friends and family to the second look? The dinner survey seems to only offer dinner to the admitted student.

Sent you a PM.

Does anybody have suggestions on where to take physics with lab in the summer?
I know I can take courses near my home but I'm wondering if there are any schools over in LA where I can take them so that I can move over early

Take a look at UCLA's summer sessions, see if we offer physics/lab in-house.

Sent you a PM.

Take a look at UCLA's summer sessions, see if we offer physics/lab in-house.
Thanks
I saw some of those earlier today but many of the courses end on August 4 whereas we'd have to finish the courses by July 30
Do you think it would be possible to negotiate for an earlier end date or to have the medical school accept a later finish?

Thanks
I saw some of those earlier today but many of the courses end on August 4 whereas we'd have to finish the courses by July 30
Do you think it would be possible to negotiate for an earlier end date or to have the medical school accept a later finish?

Hmm...this is probably something to ask the admissions office about. I doubt they would have any issue with that, but a potential problem is if that class has required meetings which conflict with the Orientation Week schedule.

Hmm...this is probably something to ask the admissions office about. I doubt they would have any issue with that, but a potential problem is if that class has required meetings which conflict with the Orientation Week schedule.
I see
Thanks a lot!