2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did more people join the Facebook group?

More people have joined both yesterday and today but it looks to be a combination of current students and acceptees. There are 131 total people in the FB group as of right now amongst those its a mixture of current and incoming students. Hope this was helpful. Also, I have no idea if Drew students are included in this group or not.

Members don't see this ad.

hopefully bluemachine or some other student could clarify if the last 30 offers have been extended.

I don't know if the FB group is really the best marker, just cuz I don't think people are really going to join within the first few hours of acceptance + lots of people won't join or simply don't have fb.

Honestly, I don't see a reason to doubt Dr Hall's initial comments of filling the class by 3/15, we've already seen that the sample size on here is pretty small.

So I guess at this point I'm going to move on and focus on other things, and really put UCLA on the back burner. We don't really have a timeline for the next group of acceptances, so I don't see the point in stressing about it every day.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone guide me on which thread to look at for postbaccs/gpa enhancers?

Could anyone guide me on which thread to look at for postbaccs/gpa enhancers?

You could also just take some additional science classes to boost your GPA. if you're from Socal, the Cal State schools come to mind

You could also just take some additional science classes to boost your GPA. if you're from Socal, the Cal State schools come to mind
I've considered doing that, I just don't know if a structured program is better or not... cause my science gpa is at like a 3.4ish

I've considered doing that, I just don't know if a structured program is better or not... cause my science gpa is at like a 3.4ish
Yea, I mean the Cal states are decent schools and pretty cheap, if you start soon you could rack up 20-30 or so science credits with A's in the next year that should give you a good boost. I personally just wouldn't pay the money for those structured programs, they seem overpriced.

Also, not saying that you won't get in this year, I'm just a total pessimist and always expect the worst. Really really hoping we get good news eventually..

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, I mean the Cal states are decent schools and pretty cheap, if you start soon you could rack up 20-30 or so science credits with A's in the next year that should give you a good boost. I personally just wouldn't pay the money for those structured programs, they seem overpriced.

Also, not saying that you won't get in this year, I'm just a total pessimist and always expect the worst. Really really hoping we get good news eventually..

No, I absolutely agree with your way of thinking. I'd rather be prepared for plan B rather than wait for plan A to fall through...

I just literally have no guidance cause my school didn't have a pre-health advisor. So, I don't know when the deadlines are for post baccs in general.
Just a really stressful process this whole thing is.

I don't know if the FB group is really the best marker, just cuz I don't think people are really going to join within the first few hours of acceptance + lots of people won't join or simply don't have fb.

Honestly, I don't see a reason to doubt Dr Hall's initial comments of filling the class by 3/15, we've already seen that the sample size on here is pretty small.

So I guess at this point I'm going to move on and focus on other things, and really put UCLA on the back burner. We don't really have a timeline for the next group of acceptances, so I don't see the point in stressing about it every day.

I get what you're saying but I highly doubt acceptances went out because there has to be at least 1 person who is lurking this thread and would post the acceptance just to do it if that were the case and literally 0 people claimed an acceptance.

Personally, since match day is tomorrow I feel like the medical school was far more invested in that this week than sending out new acceptances so I'm going to stick with that lol. I don't see why they would have filled the class without offering acceptances to any February or March interviewees, that doesn't make sense at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get what you're saying but I highly doubt acceptances went out because there has to be at least 1 person who is lurking this thread and would post the acceptance just to do it if that were the case and literally 0 people claimed an acceptance.

Personally, since match day is tomorrow I feel like the medical school was far more invested in that this week than sending out new acceptances so I'm going to stick with that lol. I don't see why they would have filled the class without offering acceptances to any February or March interviewees, that doesn't make sense at all.
Yeah, I wish the admissions office would be willing to clarify this but they don't really want to answer any questions. At least everytime i've tried calling...
Maybe i'm just asking the wrong questions

No, I absolutely agree with your way of thinking. I'd rather be prepared for plan B rather than wait for plan A to fall through...

I just literally have no guidance cause my school didn't have a pre-health advisor. So, I don't know when the deadlines are for post baccs in general.
Just a really stressful process this whole thing is.
I don't know much about official post bacs, but I'm pretty sure you can just sign up at any time for upper level science classes at a 4 year school and ace them. All those classes would be recalculated into your science GPA. Definitely talk to people on here who have had success with this.

And yea, I totally feel you. My emotional state has been kinda all over the place this whole year...

My science gpa is lower and I still got in! Although, I was a disadvantaged applicant. I think as long as your cumulative GPA is strong and MCAT is decent you should be fine! And fit is important too

Ya, I really don't know. I mean every school has match day a few days after 3/15, that's been going on for years. It seems weird that just UCLA would randomly drop the ball this year.
However, people have said that there were acceptances going out through the end of March last year, so perhaps there is still hope. I just feel like it's becoming less and less likely

My science gpa is lower and I still got in! Although, I was a disadvantaged applicant. I think as long as your cumulative GPA is strong and MCAT is decent you should be fine! And fit is important too
Yeah, i'm disadvantaged too, i'm pretty sure thats the only reason i even got a secondary or interview.

Also, has anyone ever tried emailing Dean Hall directly?

I would advise against that.

Ya, I really don't know. I mean every school has match day a few days after 3/15, that's been going on for years. It seems weird that just UCLA would randomly drop the ball this year.
However, people have said that there were acceptances going out through the end of March last year, so perhaps there is still hope. I just feel like it's becoming less and less likely

NRMP does not delay or otherwise affect our admissions process. Completely different offices responsible for each one.

Reactions: 2 users
I would advise against that.

NRMP does not delay or otherwise affect our admissions process. Completely different offices responsible for each one.

Right, that's what I was thinking. Do you have any admissions updates as of today?

Right, that's what I was thinking. Do you have any admissions updates as of today?

Unfortunately I don't have any myself; I get periodic updates from the office, but not on a daily basis.

Unfortunately I don't have any myself; I get periodic updates from the office, but not on a daily basis.
Thanks anyway, we really appreciate the input when you guys have it :)

I think the fact that there was a wave toward the end of March last year means the class may not be full quite yet this year. Last year a wave was sent on March 26/27 and I think that "filled" the class. Then about a month later there were a lot of acceptances off the "waitlist." I know it changes from year to year but UCLA seems to be behind by just a couple weeks each year, so I feel like this year is probably the same. It seems like there was decent movement in late April, May and June last year.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL okay... yeah i'm just gonna pretens that thought never crossed my mind.

yeah this might be interpreted the wrong way! if you need to call admissions, don't bother the Dean! I'm sure he's really busy!!!

jf'jga;liergja;jgaiogjaiogjao;iehgigoei;rgha;oeirghaoiegneakjgneorhgaq['erbhegnareoigaeoigheoigeqrgqrghqoghqgoiq

EDIT 1:
This is good practice ya'll #KCCO
Go running more often, pick up a new sport.
Go surfing. :)

We're all on this thread trying to learn more and survive the process. Let's not add to each other's anxiety.

EDIT2:
Some one a while ago was asking about statistics. I also learned I needed Stats at the time of my inteview, I came back home and signed up right away at the Extension center. Figured I will get in and have the class done, or I won't and then I'll have a stronger application for next cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
jf'jga;liergja;jgaiogjaiogjao;iehgigoei;rgha;oeirghaoiegneakjgneorhgaq['erbhegnareoigaeoigheoigeqrgqrghqoghqgoiq
Dude you need to utilize spellcheck

Am I the only one who realized that LosWaffles was just transliterating common Elvish? Rendered in native script it looks like
nEI8H.png

Reactions: 2 users
Am I the only one who realized that LosWaffles was just transliterating common Elvish? Rendered in native script it looks like
nEI8H.png

hahahahahahaha I love this comeback. :thumbup: ... I need an adventure.

Hi all! I'm a transfer from another sdn thread after being rejected from PRIME, but am now being considered for undifferentiated MD. Does anyone know the timeline for this? I interviewed in early Jan. Thanks!

Hi all! I'm a transfer from another sdn thread after being rejected from PRIME, but am now being considered for undifferentiated MD. Does anyone know the timeline for this? I interviewed in early Jan. Thanks!
sorry to be the bearer of bad news... The timeline for this is unknown apparently and not predictable at all....

But welcome! The more the merrier!

I think this here summarizes where we're all at,

alien-meme-guy.jpg

Edit: We're all pretty lost right now and don't have a single unifying answer to this. I think it's best to read the last 2-3 pages and get an idea of the timeline-trend we think is going on.

Last edited:
This is definitely the most interesting school thread I'm watching :p Gone for only a few hours and now I'm thoroughly entertained

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think this here summarizes where we're all at,

alien-meme-guy.jpg

This is definitely the most interesting school thread I'm watching :p Gone for only a few hours and now I'm thoroughly entertained

Can confirm that it's aliens. Just this morning in Geffen Hall, I passed by the one who chairs one of our subcommittees, on the way to my muscular dystrophy lecture. :alien:

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like there was a wave just before end of March last year
We might be in for another two weeks of waiting

For real, though, where is my rejection email? I just want closure, man.

When I interviewed on 3/17 Dean Hall said they won't send out rejections to interviewees until July. No joke
Jeez, that's no fun. But, I haven't received an II! Just waiting post-secondary over here. I know it's a rejection at this point, just think it's curious I haven't gotten anything by this point.