2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did not hear back as well..I guess this is it for a while now..

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone find the SLR/SIR on my.ucla? I can't seem to navigate the page. Is there an accepted students Facebook page?

It takes a couple days to show up, mine took a week.

And yes students Facebook page - UCLA DGSOM class of 2021

Reactions: 1 user
Ooooh the silence from this round hit me right in my chest . Congratulations to those that got accepted. I hope to join yall eventually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us that unfortunately did not hear back last night... when are we expecting another wave?

Sleepy East-coaster here, got the acceptance email this morning (woke up at 4:30 am my time lol)!!! Interviewed in December-- I'm so ecstatic and humbled, my heart is so big today :biglove:Holding out hope for everyone who's still waiting to hear, you're amazing (even though this process tends to constantly make us feel otherwise) and I'm sending such good vibes your way! :love:

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats @Nak2k @danimal22 @sleepsound @here2learn1 @RIPHarambe @bbx-8995-1 @Until2021 @koolkid596 @rosemilk @Autotoxicus @VETtoMED01 !!! :) Hope it was worth the wait! We'll send you another email soon to connect you with current students.

Regarding your questions:

-Geffen Scholarships are generally awarded in the original acceptance letter, and every application that was accepted by the main admissions committee is then passed on to the scholarship committee. That's one of the reasons why our review process takes a little longer, since every application in the accepted pile has to make it through this one extra committee before we send out the acceptance letter. I'm not sure if the other scholarships (Leaders of Tomorrow, etc.) are given afterwards or not.

-The "To hold your place in the class, you must send us a letter of acceptance within two weeks" is something you should send them to indicate that you 1) acknowledge receipt of your acceptance letter, and 2) are still interested in matriculating at here and would therefore like to have your seat held for you at UCLA DGSOM. It serves the same purpose as the online checkbox/online signature/online form that some other schools have on their portal or as part of their acceptance letter. It is not binding, and you are welcome to hold onto as many acceptances as you like until April 30th, after which you must decline your offers of acceptances from all but one school (but you may remain on as many waitlists as you wish).

Sleepy East-coaster here, got the acceptance email this morning (woke up at 4:30 am my time lol)!!! Interviewed in December-- I'm so ecstatic and humbled, my heart is so big today :biglove:Holding out hope for everyone who's still waiting to hear, you're amazing (even though this process tends to constantly make us feel otherwise) and I'm sending such good vibes your way! :love:
Ahhhhh so happy for you!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Oh so the letter of acceptance can just be an email? I thought we had to postmark something typed up or hand written lol

My year they asked specifically for "Please mail your letter of acceptance (hard copy) and all documents to..." I would follow whatever your acceptance letter this year says, as I'm not sure if they've changed it or not. If you want to be super safe, you could follow up a snailmail with an email a week later just to confirm it was received.

Have any PRIME candidates who were passed off to undifferentiated DGSOM heard back yet? We were interviewed in January and handed over just a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know if that has any impact on when we'd possibly hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any 3/8 or later interviewees in this round of acceptances?

For those who were accepted this morning, I spoke to Financial Aid. They said that we should be hearing from their office early next week. In the meantime you can do a couple of things.
1. Go on the accepted student checklist and input your SSN.
2. Make sure the FAFSA is complete WITH parental information, and that you have selected UCLA as one of the schools.

For those who were accepted this morning, I spoke to Financial Aid. They said that we should be hearing from their office early next week. In the meantime you can do a couple of things.
1. Go on the accepted student checklist and input your SSN.
2. Make sure the FAFSA is complete WITH parental information, and that you have selected UCLA as one of the schools.
Thank you! :)

I too called admission, We can simply email them saying we want to attend their school/ hold a spot. There is no official format.

Does anyone know if there will be another wave of acceptances??

Congrats to all who were recently accepted!!!!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone find the SLR/SIR on my.ucla? I can't seem to navigate the page. Is there an accepted students Facebook page?

I found the SLR/SIR it's on my.ucla.edu, up top where it says new students, then admissions home.

I just accepted mine.

Anyone know how to write a letter of acceptance????

Dear DGSOM,

Thanks for accepting me. I love you! I will definitely be there in July.

Love,
Until2021

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know how to write a letter of acceptance????

There is no required format, you just need to indicate that you 1) received your offer of acceptance, and 2) are still interested in matriculating, and would therefore like to request that your seat in the DGSOM Class of 2021 continue to be held for you at this time. Again, this is not binding though, you are welcome to still hold onto other acceptances until April 30th. Be sure that they receive it within 2 wks of your acceptance letter :)

Oh and you can feel free to also include in your letter to admissions that a particular Student Admissions Representative :rolleyes: is awesome and that they should definitely give him a salary & pension plan.

See you hopefully here next weekend for for Second Look and/or if you matriculate here in July!

There is no required format, you just need to indicate that you 1) received your offer of acceptance, and 2) are still interested in matriculating, and would therefore like to request that your seat in the DGSOM Class of 2021 continue to be held for you at this time. Again, this is not binding though, you are welcome to still hold onto other acceptances until April 30th. Be sure that they receive it within 2 wks of your acceptance letter :)

Oh and you can feel free to also include in your letter to admissions that a particular Student Admissions Representative :rolleyes: is awesome and that they should definitely give him a salary & pension plan.

See you hopefully here next weekend for for Second Look and/or if you matriculate here in July!

Thanks!!! I won't be able to make it to second look, but I will definitely be there in July!!

What is the expected attire for second look?

Business casual for both days is correct. Specifically:
  • Slacks/skirt/dress, blouse or dress shirt
    • To be clear, cotton chinos/khakis are fine, no need to wool dress pants.
  • Comfortable dress shoes, as Saturday's program includes some walking
  • No need to wear a tie or jacket, unless you really want to
We expect the full program with the map, speaker bios, optional social events, etc. to be posted for you early this week :)

I just called financial aid and found out that they no longer do the $10k scholarship for incoming students and our loans don't go through until July 21st. So just be prepared to not have that $10k now in case you were planning on it. I'm pretty bummed and now a little more stressed because I am low income and have to move from OOS with no savings available to help. I was kind of banking on that extra money to help me move. Not really sure what I will do now to get out there ahead of time.

You could probably work it out to stay with another admitted student or current until your $$ comes through.

How many days (weeks?) before do people typically move to their school?

How many days (weeks?) before do people typically move to their school?
I was hoping to get there two or three weeks before school started (on July 31st) to get familiar with the area, furnish an apartment and have a like a week to relax before school. That's what all my friends did who are in school currently that couldn't afford to take a lot of time off or go on vacation before school. Every time I've signed a lease, it has always started on the 1st of a month, so I'm guessing that's how it will be there. So I guess what I'm confused about is how to pay first month's rent plus a security deposit on a lease that starts on July 1st when I won't have any loan money until July 21st. I know it'll be fine but it's just a little more work to figure out logistically.

I was hoping to get there two or three weeks before school started (on July 31st) to get familiar with the area, furnish an apartment and have a like a week to relax before school. That's what all my friends did who are in school currently that couldn't afford to take a lot of time off or go on vacation before school. Every time I've signed a lease, it has always started on the 1st of a month, so I'm guessing that's how it will be there. So I guess what I'm confused about is how to pay first month's rent plus a security deposit on a lease that starts on July 1st when I won't have any loan money until July 21st. I know it'll be fine but it's just a little more work to figure out logistically.
Are you planning on living in the Graduate Housing at Weyburn? Because as far as I know those apartments are furnished.

Are you planning on living in the Graduate Housing at Weyburn? Because as far as I know those apartments are furnished.
Not if I want to bring my dog haha. They have a no pet policy

Hey congrats on getting accepted! I hope I have a happy ending like you! I only had one interview and it was at UCLA, so I hope they accept me off the waitlist next month. Have you thought about using a credit card to cover your first month and security deposit in the interim? You could also cash advance and payoff the amount once you get your loan money at the end of the month, so you don't rack up any interest on that money. Just trying to help you identify some potential options.

Hey congrats on getting accepted! I hope I have a happy ending like you! I only had one interview and it was at UCLA, so I hope they accept me off the waitlist next month. Have you thought about using a credit card to cover your first month and security deposit in the interim? You could also cash advance and payoff the amount once you get your loan money at the end of the month, so you don't rack up any interest on that money. Just trying to help you identify some potential options.

Thank you so much! This was my only interview as well, so I'm rooting for you!!!! I pretty much maxed out my credit card to send my last few secondaries and to go out to UCLA for my interview. I am going to use my tax return to pay it down and I'd prefer not to enter school with a maxed out card, because that would be one more monthly payment to worry about. Also, rent a lone is more than the max amount available on my card, so I could pay for part of it, but not all of it. (my poor credit card is still a baby lol). Unfortunately I only have one living parent who makes not-so-much money, so I'm pretty much on my own with all of this. Thanks for your advice though and good luck! I'm sending good vibes your way!!!

Thank you so much! This was my only interview as well, so I'm rooting for you!!!! I pretty much maxed out my credit card to send my last few secondaries and to go out to UCLA for my interview. I am going to use my tax return to pay it down and I'd prefer not to enter school with a maxed out card, because that would be one more monthly payment to worry about. Also, rent a lone is more than the max amount available on my card, so I could pay for part of it, but not all of it. (my poor credit card is still a baby lol). Unfortunately I only have one living parent who makes not-so-much money, so I'm pretty much on my own with all of this. Thanks for your advice though and good luck! I'm sending good vibes your way!!!

I hear ya on having to pay for this stuff on your own! I saved for years before I applied because I knew I too would be on my own. Luckily, I have a good paying job that has afforded me the opportunity to save some money before I eventually start school. If things are still rough, just private message me and I will see what I can do to help out.

I know Weyburn is pretty strict when it comes to pets, but I believe they allow service dogs (just in case you want to go down that route with your doggy!). Also, if you decide to move into Weyburn, I believe you can make a payment arrangement where you'd pay for housing once your financial aid is dispersed. (UCLA Housing) . I went through a situation pretty similar to yours, so if you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out!

for any accepted, low-income OOS, can you comment on how good financial aid is in terms of providing need-based aid? generally speaking, how much is providing in grants and loans assuming you are extremely low-income?

Has anyone who was passed off from PRIME heard anything back?
Hang tight everyone who's also waiting for something to happen!

for any accepted, low-income OOS, can you comment on how good financial aid is in terms of providing need-based aid? generally speaking, how much is providing in grants and loans assuming you are extremely low-income?

ANYONE?!

Hey there! I am low income and recently accepted. The way their need-based scholarships work is that the scholarship replaces some of your loans. It doesn't add onto them. Since the loans/scholarships don't disburse until July 21st, I will probably be taking out a small private loan to pay for all the initial expenses (1st months rent, security deposit, moving from OOS, etc). UCLA has a link to a page with private loans that are meant specifically for medical students in your financial aid estimate letter that they send you once you get all your paperwork done. My only worry at this point is not getting approved for a small private loan since I have nobody to co-sign for me. If I get declined, then I really won't know what to do so I'm trying to entertain that thought for now haha

I'm accepted and extremely low-income (custodial parent makes 17K per year or so, non-custodial had gross income of $1420) but IS. I just received my financial aid package, and it was 23K in need based scholarship, 42K in direct unsubsidized loan, and 4K in grad plus loan (MS1 approximate cost is 70K). Given my parents combined extremely low income, I was really hoping I'd get more help... Nearly 100K is nice across 4 years but it's still 200K estimated in loans...

Did anyone get priority housing nomination? Is that sent to Geffen scholars?

if your acceptance letter doesn't mention that 10k housing stipend everyone apparently gets does that mean you didn't get it?

er.. jk then
I just called financial aid and found out that they no longer do the $10k scholarship for incoming students and our loans don't go through until July 21st. So just be prepared to not have that $10k now in case you were planning on it. I'm pretty bummed and now a little more stressed because I am low income and have to move from OOS with no savings available to help. I was kind of banking on that extra money to help me move. Not really sure what I will do now to get out there ahead of time.