2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DAVIS SEND ME A SECONDARY! I PROMISE YOU AREN'T A SAFETY!

Members don't see this ad.

I am visiting a couple medical schools in california next week. Is there any medical student who is willing to give me like a tour of the Davis campus on WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 3RD and answer some of my questions? I realized just today that med school admissions are nothing like undergrad admissions where you can schedule group tours anytime you like. So I am requesting if anyone is willing to show me around for part of the day (30 min or so). I can pay you for your time!

Also advice: is visiting med schools before you've received a secondary or interview a good idea at all? I wanted to use my experience to craft my secondary if I get one...but would it be a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am visiting a couple medical schools in california next week. Is there any medical student who is willing to give me like a tour of the Davis campus on WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 3RD and answer some of my questions? I realized just today that med school admissions are nothing like undergrad admissions where you can schedule group tours anytime you like. So I am requesting if anyone is willing to show me around for part of the day (30 min or so). I can pay you for your time!

Also advice: is visiting med schools before you've received a secondary or interview a good idea at all? I wanted to use my experience to craft my secondary if I get one...but would it be a waste of time?
I guess it could give you a feel for the environment that could potentially be your home for the next 4 years. Though not really sure how you would incorporate your experiences into your secondary as it asks about your most important activities (assuming for the main prompt). Personally, I'm avoiding it as it makes rejection letters hurt so much more.

I agree with @Hau5MD. None of the UC's ask about "why their school?" specifically (well idk about UCLA but the rest yes). But if you can ask current students, then i think that'll be worthwhile...but then u can just do so online i suppose.

LOL rejected from Davis. :rofl:

Gotta love the UCs. Good luck everyone! I'm sure Davis will treat whoever eventually gets in very well. GG.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-secondary rejection. IS. ~72-73. Reapplicant. Twice without a secondary after having received a secondary from every single other school both cycles, UCs included. Idk what you want Davis but you make me disappointed to be a California resident. :(

Gotta love the UCs. Good luck everyone! I'm sure Davis will treat whoever eventually gets in very well. GG.

Same here! Two rejections this morning. But fortunately, they were from two schools that I wasn't exactly excited about. Best of luck to you with the rest of the application process!

Same here! Two rejections this morning. But fortunately, they were from two schools that I wasn't exactly excited about. Best of luck to you with the rest of the application process!
Pre-secondary rejection. IS. ~72-73. Reapplicant. Twice without a secondary after having received a secondary from every single other school both cycles, UCs included. Idk what you want Davis but you make me disappointed to be a California resident. :(
sorry to hear ya'll! would you mind sharing when you were verified/added davis to your primary?

Just got my rejection too...this process is mysterious

Reactions: 1 user
Verified: 6/20, cGPA: 3.95, MCAT: 513, IS. Rejected pre-secondary :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Wowza, can only assume my rejection is on its way then! Verified 06/23 and literally zero news except application received, and my stats are definitely under what some people posting have.

all these high stats people... Good luck you all!! I know you all will be successful somewhere else if not here!!

Last edited:
Yep, 516/3.7 with publications and 3k hours research experience rejected. Life goes on

sorry to hear about the rejections! ya'll have great stats though, i'm sure you'll have a successful cycle!!

is everyone whose been rejected been rejected at the same time? or are they sending out batches throughout today???! scurrredd.

also, when were ya'll verified?

Rejected

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Rejected as well. I did an internship and even worked at the hospital in Sacramento. Maybe they don't like people from Southern California?

Willing to bet the screen has a cap for research and a min for community service.
Seems unlikely. I have a peer 3000 hours of research and no community service who received an interview invite a couple days ago. Then again n=1.

I'm starting to feel that they may be screening by LM on the basis of yield protection.

Seems unlikely. I have a peer 3000 hours of research and no community service who received an interview invite a couple days ago. Then again n=1.

I'm starting to feel that they may be screening by LM on the basis of yield protection.

I'm not so sure. My LM is ~69-70 and I thought that I'm on the lower end of applicants here. They might be looking for a certain type of applicant using every metric available?

I'm not so sure. My LM is ~69-70 and I thought that I'm on the lower end of applicants here. They might be looking for a certain type of applicant using every metric available?
Well there goes my theory. Your LM is roughly the average for those accepted at UCD (according to the MSAR), so you're definitely not in the low end of applicants. Guess that's something we will never know unless we get admitted.

Alright, time to unsubscribe from this before I go crazy. Good luck everyone!

Yo, Clippers50fan: I got my rejection note today as well, so I guess neither of us wins our bet. Perhaps another wager is in order. Did you apply at Irvine? If so, the first to snag an II there would be the big winner.

Reactions: 1 users
Yo, Clippers50fan: I got my rejection note today as well, so I guess neither of us wins our bet. Perhaps another wager is in order. Did you apply at Irvine? If so, the first to snag an II there would be the big winner.
Sorry to see that both of you two got rejected :(

lol we both lost. I'm down, II at Irvine is the winner :)

Do they screen out highly qualified applicants? (LizzyM > 75)

It seems like if you don't get an automatic secondary, you're rejected eventually. It's annoying that they make such a big deal about "reading every application"since it doesn't seem like they do

If they do, its higher than 75 because some folks are reporting ii with that lizzy m

good to know!

It seems like if you don't get an automatic secondary, you're rejected eventually. It's annoying that they make such a big deal about "reading every application"since it doesn't seem like they do

I highly doubt that they read every application, but I know what you mean. I've heard that UCs like to "read" all primaries to ensure that only applicants that meet their mission and so on are invited to complete secondaries. But considering how I received my secondary to Davis less on a weekend than 24 hours after I got verified, highly unlikely.

I highly doubt that they read every application, but I know what you mean. I've heard that UCs like to "read" all primaries to ensure that only applicants that meet their mission and so on are invited to complete secondaries. But considering how I received my secondary to Davis less on a weekend than 24 hours after I got verified, highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]

Oops. I meant to say "considering how I received my secondary to Davis on a weekend less than 24 hours after i got verified"

I highly doubt that they read every application, but I know what you mean. I've heard that UCs like to "read" all primaries to ensure that only applicants that meet their mission and so on are invited to complete secondaries. But considering how I received my secondary to Davis less on a weekend than 24 hours after I got verified, highly unlikely.

Oops. I meant to say "considering how I received my secondary to Davis on a weekend less than 24 hours after i got verified"
Yeah I've heard all the UCs give out automatic secondaries based on internal screens like the one you got from UCD, but UCD especially makes a big deal about how every application gets read at least once before the other applications get rejected. I call bs on that now considering whose been rejected. They all have high stats and didn't get automatic secondaries

Yeah I've heard all the UCs give out automatic secondaries based on internal screens like the one you got from UCD, but UCD especially makes a big deal about how every application gets read at least once before the other applications get rejected. I call bs on that now considering whose been rejected. They all have high stats and didn't get automatic secondaries
Yeah I would venture my application wasn't actually read. If they did, they'd see I actually have a strong connection to Northern California (or, you know, give me the chance to show you on the secondary). Whatever their screen is I doubt it involves anything PS, EC, or LoR related as it seems all students got an automatic secondary or a rejection. I find it so odd that as a California resident I don't even get the chance to make an argument for Davis. Oh well, Ima get rejected by the vast majority of the schools I applied to and whatever's supposed to happen will :). Can the send me back the 38 bucks? Kthanks

Yeah I would venture my application wasn't actually read. If they did, they'd see I actually have a strong connection to Northern California (or, you know, give me the chance to show you on the secondary). Whatever their screen is I doubt it involves anything PS, EC, or LoR related as it seems all students got an automatic secondary or a rejection. I find it so odd that as a California resident I don't even get the chance to make an argument for Davis. Oh well, Ima get rejected by the vast majority of the schools I applied to and whatever's supposed to happen will :). Can the send me back the 38 bucks? Kthanks
Yeah I'll be right there with you in a few days I bet. When were you verified? I was verified 6/24 so I'm likely next batch of rejections.

Obnoxious because I was born and raised in Nor Cal and it's my forever home for sure. Eff Davis for not realizing people migrate for jobs as much as they do for school.

I think you and I are right though: automatic secondary or rejection.

I just received my first II! LizzyM 71, verified 6/23, complete 7/3

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Verified yesterday, woke up to a secondary today. My first one! I'm guessing that was automatic. LizzyM ~66-67, central valley resident

Submitted my secondary on 7/26, just wanna follow this thread

Submitted my secondary, just wanna follow this thread
Nice. BTW can now follow threads without posting in them by using the "watch thread" button on the top of the page (to the right of page numbers).

Nice. BTW can now follow threads without posting in them by using the "watch thread" button on the top of the page (to the right of page numbers).
Oh! Thank you for giving me the heads up. Sorry for the spam y'all!

I don't have a phone number for the reference for one of my experiences but the app requires input of a phone number, would it be bad to enter my number?

I don't have a phone number for the reference for one of my experiences but the app requires input of a phone number, would it be bad to enter my number?
If its not a hobby or personal activity, that would look a bit strange. IIRC while you can enter both an email and phone member, the secondary only requires one (just like AMCAS)