2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm from SoCal, but I got a secondary here pretty fast, I am disadvantaged and have a community-service heavy app.

I honestly don't have a huge connection to Northern or Central CA, but I feel lame putting nothing in the boxes. I have no problem with living/working in those areas.
For this question

If you answered 'yes' to having a connection to Northern or Central California, please explain below. If you answered 'no' type 'not applicable'.

What if I put NO, then explained why I am interested in moving to those places or talked about my willingness to fulfill UCD's mission? Or would that be seen as not responding appropriately to the prompt?

Still haven't received a secondary. Starting to think I may not... Can't even get secondaries from UC schools as a CA resident and UC graduate but already have two II from Texas schools

Did I mark my residency wrong? What is happening lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
Only got UCSD and UCR here. Nothing from UCLA, UCSF or UCD. CA resident as well.
What's your LizzyM? I got UCSD but it seems 2/3rds of applicants get it, it's no where near UCLA or UCSF screen (I can't seem to find the UCD screen but apparently it's hefty)

LizzyM 71-72. How about you? Hopefully we get the secondaries soon.
Hahah exactly the same. I know it's not LizzyM related (at least being too low) as my friend in the mid-high 60s received a secondary shortly afterwards. Weird. I have significant ties to Northern California (lived here for the past 5 years) and great ECs. So weird haha

I'm from SoCal, but I got a secondary here pretty fast, I am disadvantaged and have a community-service heavy app.

I honestly don't have a huge connection to Northern or Central CA, but I feel lame putting nothing in the boxes. I have no problem with living/working in those areas.
For this question

If you answered 'yes' to having a connection to Northern or Central California, please explain below. If you answered 'no' type 'not applicable'.

What if I put NO, then explained why I am interested in moving to those places or talked about my willingness to fulfill UCD's mission? Or would that be seen as not responding appropriately to the prompt?

I think it's up to you and whether you feel comfortable taking that gamble. I think if it were me and I were really interested in UC Davis, I'd do what you said and just say something along the lines of "Even though I don't have any obvious ties to Northern California, I have lived in Southern California for ____ and have served [insert community service experiences here]. I would be very interested in paralleling the ____ skills I've learned in working in these communities and learning more regarding underserved communities in Northern and Central California."

I think it depends on your personality, but the way I see it, the worst that could happen is the person reading your file going like "well that wasn't in the directions." but I don't really see a downside.. but that's just my personal opinion. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's up to you and whether you feel comfortable taking that gamble. I think if it were me and I were really interested in UC Davis, I'd do what you said and just say something along the lines of "Even though I don't have any obvious ties to Northern California, I have lived in Southern California for ____ and have served [insert community service experiences here]. I would be very interested in paralleling the ____ skills I've learned in working in these communities and learning more regarding underserved communities in Northern and Central California."

I think it depends on your personality, but the way I see it, the worst that could happen is the person reading your file going like "well that wasn't in the directions." but I don't really see a downside.. but that's just my personal opinion. :)

@Pusheen If you don't have clear ties to NorCal, this is probably your best approach. I would reference one of the student-run clinics: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/studentlife/clinics/index.html
I personally think the student-run clinics are fairly prominent here.

Reactions: 1 users
Hahah exactly the same. I know it's not LizzyM related (at least being too low) as my friend in the mid-high 60s received a secondary shortly afterwards. Weird. I have significant ties to Northern California (lived here for the past 5 years) and great ECs. So weird haha

Same boat here...69 LizzyM, live in SoCal, born AT UC Davis to parents getting their Master's and PhD there!

I'm also at 69 LizzyM, lived in NorCal my whole life. I got my secondary 06/28 (verified 06/24) so I have no idea how they screen.

Has anyone who didn't get an automatic secondary (the two emails that followed each other very quickly) get one yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a stupid question (sorry been working on secondaries all day and my head hurts), but when they ask us to list the equivalent of a minimum of one year of bio courses, are we only supposed to list two semesters or should we list all the bio courses we have ever taken?

This might be a stupid question (sorry been working on secondaries all day and my head hurts), but when they ask us to list the equivalent of a minimum of one year of bio courses, are we only supposed to list two semesters or should we list all the bio courses we have ever taken?

I think it's just the minimum. I always put my 2 semesters' worth of intro bio classes for the requirement.

What are people writing about for the "Discuss any parts of your application that the admissions committee might find concerning" part? I felt like I would be making a stretch to say that something on my application was really concerning. Any advice?

Just received UCD II!

LizzyM 77

Secondary completed 7/6

I live in NoCal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If we're still doing our experience, what end date should we put?

This "experiences" section is stressing me out haha. Is the general consensus that we can repeat our most meaningful from our primary? My most meaningful were chosen because I felt they helped prepare me for a medical career, and I took the time to reference that in my most meaningful discussion on my primary. So, they seem to answer the question already, but I also feel its odd to just repeat them. Any thoughts?

For the prequesites section are you putting down labs? It says that labs are not required, but are they still credits towards the minimum? (Although I meet the minimum without labs).

LizzyM 73 automatic secondary if that helps anyone.

Last edited:
Do we happen to know how late UC Davis happened to send out secondaries last year? I know that they can move slowly/unpredictability like some of the other UC's so I'm not too worried.......yet.

Congrats! When did you submit your app and got verified?

Submitted primary hella early in June, app received by UCD 6/28, secondary submitted 6/29

I received my secondary this morning! I've grown up in Northern California and attended school in SoCal. MCAT was a 29 but I have significant community service/research and publications

I received my secondary this morning! I've grown up in Northern California and attended school in SoCal. MCAT was a 29 but I have significant community service/research and publications
NICE! Congrats! When were you verified?

LizzyM 67, received secondary 1 day after verification! No idea how they are screening this.

Interview waitlist :(
Anyone know what that means? How many people get put on? And how many are eventually extended an II?

Last edited:
i have pretty low stats ... got secondary... what does that mean? is secondary release automatic .. or do they review application and gave me a chance ?

Just curious--how long did it take for your letters to be marked as received? I submitted on 7/18 and I'm still waiting.

i have pretty low stats ... got secondary... what does that mean? is secondary release automatic .. or do they review application and gave me a chance ?
well it depends. did you get one right after you got the "application received" email? because that's generally thought of as an automatic release.

Anyone know if I can send them some sort of "please give me a secondary?" I'm in-state, but no ties to NorCal, and with good stats. I don't know why I haven't gotten one unless there is some sort of yield protection going on.

well it depends. did you get one right after you got the "application received" email? because that's generally thought of as an automatic release.

verified yesterday 10 am, got II from davis today at 4 am???/

verified yesterday 10 am, got II from davis today at 4 am

Anyone know if I can send them some sort of "please give me a secondary?" I'm in-state, but no ties to NorCal, and with good stats. I don't know why I haven't gotten one unless there is some sort of yield protection going on.

Last edited:
ii= interview invite :)

did you get the secondary like a couple minutes after you got the email from ucd that they'd received your application?

Received update from ucd was at 4 am ... application update for II was also at 4 am