2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essays
Limit your response to 500 characters for the next 3 questions:
1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.
2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? (Yes or No)
3. If you answered 'yes' to having a connection to Northern or Central California, please explain below. If you answered 'no' type 'not applicable'.

Experiences Section (1-3)
750 characters or less:
Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what the GPA and MCAT cutoffs for Davis are?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually emailed them about this and they said they don't have cut offs
Thank you so much! I read in an article recently that the Ivy League and UC system have strict cutoffs and that only if you make it through the cutoffs do they read your essays and decide secondaries, so that is good to hear!

Thank you so much! I read in an article recently that the Ivy League and UC system have strict cutoffs and that only if you make it through the cutoffs do they read your essays and decide secondaries, so that is good to hear!

A UCDSOM admissions coordinator said that every single persons' application gets read by someone.

A UCDSOM admissions coordinator said that every single persons' application gets read by someone. They do have a threshold, and if you pass that threshold, then you'll get a secondary automatically. But, if you don't make it, then someone reads your app and decides whether to send you a secondary.
Do you know what that threshold is?

Do you know what that threshold is?

No Problem! In the email, they wrote, the avg GPA is 3.6 and avg. MCAT is 30 for the past couple of years entering class, so the threshold below that amount.

One of my top choices because of how involved they are in the surrounding community! Hope to get some love!

How do I apply to UC Davis PRIME?

I apologize if this was previously discussed in another thread, I am having trouble locating this information.

How do I apply to UC Davis PRIME?

I apologize if this was previously discussed in another thread, I am having trouble locating this information.

From there website, "
You will be invited to apply to Rural-PRIME when you submit your secondary application to UC Davis.Your application will be screened and considered for the Rural-PRIME program. Qualified applicants may be invited to interview with Rural-PRIME, following acceptance to the School of Medicine.

Following your Rural-PRIME interview, your application will be reviewed by the Rural-PRIME selection committee. Your application will be ranked based on the strength of the rural aspects of your application: rural experience, knowledge and interests." :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! So I was reading through the thread and wanted to address some questions. I am a future Class of 2020 student and recently went through this process. So in order to apply to any of the tracks/ PRIME you must be offered a secondary and you can express interest on the there. Once you have been accepted to the MD program you will receive acceptance or interview for any of the tailored track programs. As for cutoff as the admissions stated there really isn't a cut-off. I can tell you that I was below the cut-off and made it in. If you have any questions feel free to DM. Good luck y'all!!

Reactions: 2 users
Really trying to go here. cGPA 3.64, sGPA 3.49. MCAT to come in 10 days!!

Secondary:

Course Prerequisites Section:

To fill out.

Essays

1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.
3. If you answered 'yes' to having a connection to Northern or Central California, please explain below. If you answered 'no' type 'not applicable'.

750 characters or less:
Briefly describe this activity and its significance. How did it prepare you for a medical career? Include any supporting information (e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as well as links to any publication, etc)

Tailored Tracks
(Yes / No) Options

Get those secondaries in quick (but not so quick that yours is bad)! Last year I submitted mine 3 days after receiving, was complete 3 days later, and got an II very shortly thereafter.

Reactions: 2 users
Get those secondaries in quick (but not so quick that yours is bad)! Last year I submitted mine 3 days after receiving, was complete 3 days later, and got an II very shortly thereafter.

Regarding the connection to Northern/Central California essay - how elaborate is this supposed to be? Should I simply state that I spent undergrad in the area?

Thanks for your input! For the questions regarding the top 3 meaningful activities, they only gave us 750 chars (which is less than the chars allowed on the primary). Do you recommend writing about how they're meaningful or just describe them?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Regarding the connection to Northern/Central California essay - how elaborate is this supposed to be? Should I simply state that I spent undergrad in the area?

I would do that. And maybe add some activities that helped you connect with the community there if you had any? Just a suggestion since I know UCD students volunteer around the area.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I talked about my roots there and that I would really like to practice in the area due to family ties.

Secondary:

Course Prerequisites Section:

To fill out.

Essays

750 characters or less:

Tailored Tracks
(Yes / No) Options

Can "connection" be familial? I'm not from the region, but some of my family is.

Additionally, can "connection" be our regional interest that in essence, explains why an out-of-region applicant is interested in working in North/Central California? (ie: a particular underserved community that I am personally interested in working in?)

@theuglierduckling The California connection essay is new. Therefore, I can't advise.

@PHgeek123 per the recommendation of a student, I condensed my meaningful experience essays and added a line or two about how each relates to UC Davis' mission. Also, full disclosure : I was waitlisted. Hah.

How many days did it take you guys to get the secondaries after having your AMCAS application verified?

For the courses, how are we supposed to know the specific date completed? It asks for month/day/year. I have no records of that, only the academic term.

Any successful re-applicants here?

For the courses, how are we supposed to know the specific date completed? It asks for month/day/year. I have no records of that, only the academic term.
Past me had inputed the quarter start and end dates in my calendar so I just used those. Maybe see if your school's registrar has academic calendars from past years?
How many days did it take you guys to get the secondaries after having your AMCAS application verified?
Verified on the 15th and received the secondary today. So roughly 13 days. Though that probably won't be much help since schools (as far as I know) only started sending out secondaries on the 24th.

Thank you, Hau5MD. I found it online.

Another question, for the supplemental application fee, is it supposed to take some time to update on the website? I paid, but the site is still listing it was unpaid. I even have the email receipt.

If I click "Submit" at the bottom of the "Tailored Tracks" section, will it allow be to go back to other parts of my app?

Last edited:
Strange. The email states that secondary application invites are sent out starting in July. Anybody else receive the application receipt but still waiting on a secondary invite?

+1. I'm already starting to get impatient which doesn't bode well for my sanity this cycle...

Thank you, Hau5MD. I found it online.

Another question, for the supplemental application fee, is it supposed to take some time to update on the website? I paid, but the site is still listing it was unpaid. I even have the email receipt.

I'm in the same boat. I paid yesterday and it still hasn't reflected on my portal. I'm not sure if I should contact the admissions office or not.

Strange. The email states that secondary application invites are sent out starting in July. Anybody else receive the application receipt but still waiting on a secondary invite?
Yup.

For my school, they archive academic calendars with end-dates. I just googled "school academic calendar"

I apologize for being oblivious by asking this question, but is UC Davis very mission specific? I'm sure every school is, but I'm just very curious considering that their stats on MSAR aren't as high as other California/UC schools (aside from UCR which is very mission specific). I know they relatively focus on underserved rural areas by having a Prime program, which I think is amazing, but does this have any effect on the normal cycle?

Last edited:
Still haven't heard back from Davis. Anybody else in the same boat?
Same. My friend with lower stats than me got a secondary already and that seems interesting to me haha. Does anyone have any idea what the screen is like here?

I apologize for being oblivious by asking this question, but is UC Davis very mission specific? I'm sure every school is, but I'm just very curious considering that their stats on MSAR aren't as high as other California/UC schools (aside from UCR which is very mission specific). I know they relatively focus on underserved rural areas by having a Prime program, which I think is amazing, but does this have any effect on the normal cycle?

What is PRIME ? Also is not the mcat average for last cycle like 503?

My secondary states that a separate question for each "Tailored Track" selected is supposed to appear. I clicked submit and it is nowhere to be found on any section of the application...

Please advise!

My secondary states that a separate question for each "Tailored Track" selected is supposed to appear. I clicked submit and it is nowhere to be found on any section of the application...

Please advise!

if you clicked "yes" to any of the tailored tracks like PRIME, an additional line bar will appear below the main navigation bar at the top. you can then click to the tracks you selected yes to and answer the additional prompts there.