2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received update from ucd was at 4 am ... application update for II was also at 4 am
I'm sorry, now you've confused me. Why do you keep saying II? An II is an interview invite? Did you get an II at 4 am or are you asking about your secondary which you received at 4 am?

Members don't see this ad.

Do i input classes like gen bio and concepts to bio classes that was done at community ?

I'm sorry, now you've confused me. Why do you keep saying II? An II is an interview invite? Did you get an II at 4 am or are you asking about your secondary which you received at 4 am?

UC Davis School of Medicine - Application Received " email at 4 am

UC Davis School of Medicine - Application Update email were they invited me to complete II was also at 4 am ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just putting down everything that is relevant to the prerequisites. In other words I am avoiding not listing a class as I feel it is better to "overlist" than "underlist".

I'm just putting down everything that is relevant to the prerequisites. In other words I am avoiding not listing a class as I feel it is better to "overlist" than "underlist".

• Biological Sciences: 1 year ( ... so that is just genetics... proteins... energetics and metabolism.. and cell biology )
  • Chemistry, general and organic sequence: 2 years
  • Physics: 1 year
in terms of bio . i don't think are are asking for everything? but i guess that is not a bad idea

UC Davis School of Medicine - Application Received " email at 4 am

UC Davis School of Medicine - Application Update email were they invited me to complete II was also at 4 am ...
ok dude, i've said this 4 times. An II is an interview invite. It does NOT stand for secondary. It stands for Interview Invite. II, get it? Just trying to help you out so you don't get confused when people start saying they've gotten IIs. :)

As for your original question, you got an automated secondary at 4 am. It means you passed their screen.

Reactions: 2 users
ok dude, i've said this 4 times. An II is an interview invite. It does NOT stand for secondary. It stands for Interview Invite. II, get it? Just trying to help you out so you don't get confused when people start saying they've gotten IIs. :)

As for your original question, you got an automated secondary at 4 am. It means you passed their screen.

Thanks for the clarification lol .. believe it or not.. I just understood after u explaining it for the 4th time... I'm a ****** lol

So secondary invite is not a big deal huh ? like everyone gets one ?

My numbers are so low that I feel like I will just be paying for the app fee...

I do have excellent activities and extracurriculars stuff... but the automatic review did not look at that so... not sure ..

a4aeecbeecdeff1616f417f3792c43bcd2ec534471f1c99512c46884b9016976.jpg

Thanks for the clarification lol .. believe it or not.. I just understood after u explaining it for the 4th time... I'm a ****** lol

So secondary invite is not a big deal huh ? like everyone gets one ?

My numbers are so low that I feel like I will just be paying for the app fee...

I do have excellent activities and extracurriculars stuff... but the automatic review did not look at that so... not sure ..
Lol don't even worry about it- i think this med school app process makes all of our brains a little fried :p

I don't think everyone gets one- there are a lot of people with high stats that haven't gotten one. It seems like Davis isn't super worried about stats. I think out of all the UCs, Davis cares the most about ECs and stuff so you stand a good chance! good luck!

Hi all! For those of you who were verified after 6/24, how long did it take for you to receive the "application received" email? TIA

• Biological Sciences: 1 year ( ... so that is just genetics... proteins... energetics and metabolism.. and cell biology )
  • Chemistry, general and organic sequence: 2 years
  • Physics: 1 year
in terms of bio . i don't think are are asking for everything? but i guess that is not a bad idea
I simply put down all of the underdivision course work which satisfies these requirements. Other school specifically state what to list, such as Irvine which I believe needs upper division course work as well. With Davis asking for "Biological Sciences: 1 year" I put down 1 year of my underdivision biological sciences thus meeting the requirements, as well as the planned community college coursework since that will also be underdivision biology sciences. From what I understand Davis is competency based, and if I went through and listed every Biology and Chem course I took it'd literally be about half or more of my entire transcript.

So I met the requirements they listed with typical pre-med underdivison classes and stopped there, but I did include additional repeat coursework.

Is anyone applying as an out of state applicant? My app was verified 6/7, and got a notification that they had received my application 6/24, but haven't received a secondary yet. Do they send them out to IS first?

A bit confused over here..

Do they want us selecting 3 activities that specifically helped us decide on "why medicine?"
Assuming this because the instructions say "most influential in leading you to a career in medicine."
Did anyone else replace one of their most meaningful experiences on AMCAS with another on this secondary for this reason?

Members don't see this ad :)

Do they want us selecting 3 activities that specifically helped us decide on "why medicine?"
Assuming this because the instructions say "most influential in leading you to a career in medicine."
Did anyone else replace one of their most meaningful experiences on AMCAS with another on this secondary for this reason?
Nope. I assumed that the ones you denoted as most important (on AMCAS) were supposed to be those that lead to medicine to begin with.

Nope. I assumed that the ones you denoted as most important (on AMCAS) were supposed to be those that lead to medicine to begin with.

Got it. One of mine is just an activity that I've been doing for practically my entire life, but it does not have an obvious connection to medicine.

Got it. One of mine is just an activity that I've been doing for practically my entire life, but it does not have an obvious connection to medicine.
If you can explain the connection or what you've gained from it, I don't see why you can't mention it.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't believe I can't even get a secondary at my state schools. And people wonder why us CA applicants apply to so many schools.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't believe I can't even get a secondary at my state schools. And people wonder why us CA applicants apply to so many schools.
I'm surprised that I've even gotten as many UC secondaries as I have (though UCLA still waiting on you). Only in California are your state schools not "safeties" :(

The only thing that perplexes me about Davis is that some people are getting automatic secondaries, others are getting secondaries after a waiting period, and some of us haven't gotten a secondary at all. On top of that, there seems to be zero correlation to stats. I'm not stellar, but I'm quite solid for UCD, and people with lower LizzyM's have gotten automatic secondaries it appears. But the presence of at least some automatic screen means it can't just be EC's......:bang: trying to decode this admissions process is too much for me! :laugh:

I used three activities from my primary. See the quote from the UC Davis instructions below:

"We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate."

The only thing that perplexes me about Davis is that some people are getting automatic secondaries, others are getting secondaries after a waiting period, and some of us haven't gotten a secondary at all. On top of that, there seems to be zero correlation to stats. I'm not stellar, but I'm quite solid for UCD, and people with lower LizzyM's have gotten automatic secondaries it appears. But the presence of at least some automatic screen means it can't just be EC's......:bang: trying to decode this admissions process is too much for me! :laugh:
I'm still a bit confused on how I got mine so early as my ECs don't really align with Davis (tons more research than service). Though if you've already gotten a II this early, I'm pretty sure youre bound to get a secondary eventually.

I'm still a bit confused on how I got mine so early as my ECs don't really align with Davis (tons more research than service). Though if you've already gotten a II this early, I'm pretty sure youre bound to get a secondary eventually.
The ONLY thing I can think of is NorCal is likely to get them and other areas aren't. I don't know, though.

The ONLY thing I can think of is NorCal is likely to get them and other areas aren't. I don't know, though.
n=1 but I'm technically in the Bay Area. I'm guessing UCD split applications into multiple stacks and they're being reviewed at different rates. That, in addition to yield protection, could explain why some super high stats people aren't getting secondaries and how secondaries are trickling out at different times.

I'm from Socal and I got app receipt and secondary at the same time, the day after I added UCD to AMCAS. It might be a disadvantaged thing, like they're purposely trying to make the class more diverse? I don't think I'll be much competition to you guys in Norcal though, I have literally no connections to the area

I used three activities from my primary. See the quote from the UC Davis instructions below:

"We apologize for any redundancy - feel free to reproduce the comments from your Primary application and expand on them as appropriate."

Yeah, it doesn't say anything about "why medicine" there or on the activity page itself, but it does on the first instruction page I quoted from. Not sure what to think about that.

I also think it's weird that they ask us if they can contact our references. What would they do if we said no?

I'm from Socal and I got app receipt and secondary at the same time, the day after I added UCD to AMCAS. It might be a disadvantaged thing, like they're purposely trying to make the class more diverse? I don't think I'll be much competition to you guys in Norcal though, I have literally no connections to the area

Same here, but I'm not disadvantaged.

@Pusheen I've heard that about half of UCD's class has no ties to that area so I wouldn't automatically think that. Still have a chance :)

Same here, but I'm not disadvantaged.

@Pusheen I've heard that about half of UCD's class has no ties to that area so I wouldn't automatically think that. Still have a chance :)
Also non-disadvantaged. UCD pulls a very large portion of their class from all over the state so I wouldn't worry too much about which half of California you're from.
Yeah, it doesn't say anything about "why medicine" there or on the activity page itself, but it does on the first instruction page I quoted from. Not sure what to think about that.

I also think it's weird that they ask us if they can contact our references. What would they do if we said no?
Immediate rejection! Though I always wondered if they actually contacted our references.

Also non-disadvantaged. UCD pulls a very large portion of their class from all over the state so I wouldn't worry too much about which half of California you're from.

Immediate rejection! Though I always wondered if they actually contacted our references.
I feel like they might if the activity seems sketch or exaggerated.

I feel like they might if the activity seems sketch or exaggerated.

I agree. It just seems weird that they would ask us for permission. I doubt they actually call if you put down a typical activity

Does anybody know of anywhere where we can get good second opinions about the tailored tracks? Also, can we apply after we have been admitted?

II !!!

No. It was just a dream :(

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else get interview invites yet? My secondary was received the 21st of July. I'm hoping that wasn't too late. :(

Anyone else get interview invites yet? My secondary was received the 21st of July. I'm hoping that wasn't too late. :(

Mine was received on the 1st. I haven't gotten any II yet. Hang in there. My friends didn't get IIs until 3 months later last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II!! I live close by so this is gonna save me some moolah :)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone verified in early July received a secondary?

Anybody else who submitted their primary applications late June still waiting on a secondary? UCI sent me one a long time ago.

Anyone else surprised that UC Davis is using the interview waitlist at this point in the cycle?

lol II going out at Davis and this CA resident can't even get a secondary.

Y'all the CA resident disadvantage is no joke. Cherish your II's :)

Reactions: 3 users
What is GW's hold for re-review status?

George Washington does this thing where they place you on a hold status and then they supposedly interview a bunch of applicants that were on the list

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile