2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else interview in December? We were told we'd hear back the first week of January and now we are in the third week that's about to end. Has anyone spoken to admissions to see what gives?

Members don't see this ad.

Noticed something odd on my portal. I'm on HPA as of last week, but campus has changed (to Binghamton, my preferred) and there are now spaces for my transcripts. What gives?
I don't want to get your hopes up but I was on the HPA list last year until the very end, and my campus selection never showed up nor did I get any spaces for my transcripts. I don't know what this means but good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this gets talked about every year, but does anyone have concrete stats or info regarding relative chance for acceptance out of HPA or is it all based on ranking? When is ranked determined - after all interviews are over?
From what the Dean said (I interviewed 1/18), there is a lot of movement from HPA. If I remember correctly, she said there is a committee of 30 people who individually evaluate your application and MMI performance and then they vote. Based on the average of the voting, students are ranked and they establish specific cutoffs for acceptance, HPA, hold, and rejection. Many students end up coming off the HPA list as people withdraw etc. but if you're on hold, it's rare to be accepted. The Dean also mentioned that there are usually 160 seats but they are considering bumping it up to 170. One additional point: if you indicated Syracuse or Binghamton "Preferred" and not "Only" and a spot from the other campus opens, you will be offered that seat if you want it. But if you don't, your position on the HPA ranking stays the same until your preferred campus has an opening. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you and everyone else!

Reactions: 2 users
From what the Dean said (I interviewed 1/18), there is a lot of movement from HPA. If I remember correctly, she said there is a committee of 30 people who individually evaluate your application and MMI performance and then they vote. Based on the average of the voting, students are ranked and they establish specific cutoffs for acceptance, HPA, hold, and rejection. Many students end up coming off the HPA list as people withdraw etc. but if you're on hold, it's rare to be accepted. The Dean also mentioned that there are usually 160 seats but they are considering bumping it up to 170. One additional point: if you indicated Syracuse or Binghamton "Preferred" and not "Only" and a spot from the other campus opens, you will be offered that seat if you want it. But if you don't, your position on the HPA ranking stays the same until your preferred campus has an opening. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you and everyone else!
Let's hope there is some good HPA movement this year!!

Reactions: 1 users
portal cleared today, interviewed 12/5!

Has anyone else here been excepted? 1/2

Just got rejected pre-II after being on hold since November.

They should've just rejected me initially considering only a handful of people come of the hold list each year anyway.... I ain't bitter, but maybe Upstate should update it's email system cuz it was sent at 4pm and I received it 5 hours later.... Jk I'm mad salty about this. Thanks for ruining my night :yeahright:

They should've just rejected me initially considering only a handful of people come of the hold list each year anyway.... I ain't bitter, but maybe Upstate should update it's email system cuz it was sent at 4pm and I received it 5 hours later.... Jk I'm mad salty about this. Thanks for ruining my night :yeahright:
Sorry dude. Have you gotten in elsewhere yet?

Same, rejected tonight after being on hold since October

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected after being on hold since september. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Had my interview on Monday 1/23. Was on pre-II hold since ~September. There is hope for pre-II hold!

Interviewed early January. I checked my portal today and the interview information is gone but no other updates. I haven't received an email or any notification of a decision. Should I wait a week or more or give the school a call?

Interviewed early January. I checked my portal today and the interview information is gone but no other updates. I haven't received an email or any notification of a decision. Should I wait a week or more or give the school a call?
That's portal clearing - prepare for a notification perhaps Wednesday. Good luck

II after being on hold (so surprised but grateful!!) anyone have any tips for the interview?

II after being on hold (so surprised but grateful!!) anyone have any tips for the interview?
Have fun! The radiology lecture was entertaining and the pasta was delicious. Definitely make time after to check out the housing and surrounding area, which wasn't part of the tour.

Did everyone who was accepted have their portals cleared first? Just wondering!

Hey. I don't know if this question was answered before, but does anyone know if Upstate offers in-state tuition after your first year? Like is it possible to establish NY residency after that first year?

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone who interviewed on 1/11 hear anything back?

Hello! Accepted last Thursday, portal had cleared 2 days before.

Congrats! My portal still hasn't cleared. In the info session, they told us that we should call if we haven't heard by the 2nd week of Feb, right? Or am I remembering wrong?

Portal cleared! Hoping for good news from here! :xf:

Congrats! My portal still hasn't cleared. In the info session, they told us that we should call if we haven't heard by the 2nd week of Feb, right? Or am I remembering wrong?
Maybe.... I actually thought it was the first week of February we would hear back at the latest.

Maybe.... I actually thought it was the first week of February we would hear back at the latest.

I believe they did say that, but to call if we haven't heard anything by the second week of Feb. Portal just cleared today, so I don't need to worry about calling anyway!

Were you accepted via email or portal?

Last edited:
I believe they did say that, but to call if we haven't heard anything by the second week of Feb. Portal just cleared today, so I don't need to worry about calling anyway!

Were you accepted via email or portal?

Email came around 7pm, my portal didn't update until the next day or so. Good luck!

Well after everything, it's a Post-II rejection. Interviewed 1/18 :(

I interviewed 1/11/17 and found out today that I am on the HPA. I was wonder if someone can tell me how big the list is or what are my chances if I am on this list?

I interviewed 1/11/17 and found out today that I am on the HPA. I was wonder if someone can tell me how big the list is or what are my chances if I am on this list?
The dean said a fair amount of movement from HPA not so much from a normal hold.

Basically a ranked list with a solid chance of acceptance depending on some factors. That said, I'm planning for PCOM until I hear otherwise from Upstate.

I thought that in the info session the admissions person said that they usually go through the top 1/3-2/3 of the HPA list. I might be remembering this wrong though...

I thought that in the info session the admissions person said that they usually go through the top 1/3-2/3 of the HPA list. I might be remembering this wrong though...
Yeah that sounds about right. It seems they are pulling less and less from the HPA every year, according to admissions, but I'm sure they'll make it through at least the first third of names on the list. The normal wait list hasn't moved in like 10 years though so essentially that's a done deal.