2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year.

What medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?

Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee?

(Word/character limit not stated)

Rural Medicine prompts (No character limit specified).

1. Why do you consider yourself suited to rural medical practice?
2. If you have lived in a rural community, please describe it and indicate how long you have lived there.
3. Describe your understanding of an issue or challenge facing rural communities now or in the future.
4. Describe any relevant medical encounters that either you or your family has experienced. How has this influenced your desire to practice rural medicine?
5. What are your future career goals?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
MSAR shows Upstate requires 6 credit hours of College English, and that they do not accept AP credit for this. On Upstate's website it says they accept AP credit as long as it was accepted by your undergraduate institution.

My undergrad college accepted my AP English course and it counted for Comp 100 (3 credits) and Lit 100 (3 credits). Would this cover my prerequisite requirements for Upstate?

MSAR shows Upstate requires 6 credit hours of College English, and that they do not accept AP credit for this. On Upstate's website it says they accept AP credit as long as it was accepted by your undergraduate institution.

My undergrad college accepted my AP English course and it counted for Comp 100 (3 credits) and Lit 100 (3 credits). Would this cover my prerequisite requirements for Upstate?

Well if they explicitly stated that then it sounds like it will be fine. However, if you're concerned you can always contact the school directly and ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody else not yet received the secondary?

Me. Given how quiet it is around here, I expect no one has it.

Secondary received and submitted. Hoping for some home state love!

Prompt??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year.

Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee?

Word/character limit not stated.

@WedgeDawg

See poloboy (post above) for regular admission prompts. These are Rural Medicine prompts (No character limit specified).

1. Why do you consider yourself suited to rural medical practice?
2. If you have lived in a rural community, please describe it and indicate how long you have lived there.
3. Describe your understanding of an issue or challenge facing rural communities now or in the future.
4. Describe any relevant medical encounters that either you or your family has experienced. How has this influenced your desire to practice rural medicine?
5. What are your future career goals?

It also includes the "Please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year" prompt.

Does the application submit as soon as you pay the fee? I just paid the fee but didn't see any separate options to submit the application. Now, I don't see the secondary application in the menu once I log in, but it also doesn't say that the supplemental application has been received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the application submit as soon as you pay the fee? I just paid the fee but didn't see any separate options to submit the application. Now, I don't see the secondary application in the menu once I log in, but it also doesn't say that the supplemental application has been received.
Same for me, I'm assuming it did in fact submit after paying the fee.

does anybody know the number of spots available for the rural scholars program?

In the last box of the personal information section that is beside the paragraph "I understand that once I submit this application...etc"...what do we type in there?

In the last box of the personal information section that is beside the paragraph "I understand that once I submit this application...etc"...what do we type in there?
I put my name as a signature and that "I understand". Idk what else they could have wanted haha.

I put my name as a signature and that "I understand". Idk what else they could have wanted haha.

I think most people just put "yes." but pretty much anything that conveys you are in the affirmative would work. haha I don't understand why they possibly use a text box for that...

"Current Undergraduate Students: Applicants must submit a letter of evaluation from the Health Professions Advisory Committee or the Pre-Health Advisor from their undergraduate institution. In the absence of such a committee, two letters of recommendation from faculty members in different departments are acceptable, although one of the departments must be a science department."

From these instructions (their website), does anyone know if the maximum letters we can send are 2? On MSAR it says maximum 5, but from these instructions it seems like they only want 2.

I'm prewriting my secondaries and was wondering if there was anywhere on the application to mark if you have a connection to the region. If not I'll kinda force it into the 2nd question haha

Does anyone know if they expect essays for these questions or just short answers? Given there's no word or character limit I'm not sure what they are expecting.
Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I will be starting here in August and will try my best to answer questions on this thread about Upstate, the interview (they use MMI fyi), living in Syracuse, etc.

Does anyone know if they expect essays for these questions or just short answers? Given there's no word or character limit I'm not sure what they are expecting.
Thanks!

In my secondary I answered with one-paragraph answers. Although, for the question that asks what specialty you're interested in, I think I just answered with a sentence or two.

In my secondary I just put my full name, but others put "Yes" or "I agree" and that was just as fine. Really I don't think anyone cares about this.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, guys... I tried to take advantage of the fact that no word/character limits were posted for the essay questions, but they wouldn't let me submit because there's a 1800 character limit.

FYI: In case anyone else received a "missing items" email, I called the office and they said if you have everything in it will be updated soon, they are just moving a little slower with processing supplemental materials!

Reactions: 1 users
Got complete email 7/15. anyone else? hoping for an early II

Word/character limit not stated.

I cannot find the first two prompts in my secondary application. Were they in the MD Program application, and if so, under what subsection?

They ask for my Phone Number in the form of (xxxxxx)-(xxxxxxxxxxxx) (xxxxxxxxxx extension). I have no idea what to put for that as my number is 10-digit long (xxx-xxx-xxxx). Any help?

Any why the hell would they care about our high school? thats soo 4-5 years ago...

Last edited:
For "what medical specialty are we interested in" did you guys write essays or literally just list the specialties?

has anyone still not received a secondary? I'm considering contacting their office soon to see what' up.

has anyone still not received a secondary? I'm considering contacting their office soon to see what' up.
Screenshot (17).png

lmao. checked my email.. received this literally right when I posted that question :laugh:

They ask for my Phone Number in the form of (xxxxxx)-(xxxxxxxxxxxx) (xxxxxxxxxx extension). I have no idea what to put for that as my number is 10-digit long (xxx-xxx-xxxx). Any help?

Any why the hell would they care about our high school? thats soo 4-5 years ago...
i'm also really confused about that number format....

They care about high schools to determine in-state status and ties to NY. I just put it as (xxx)-(xxx-xxxx). I thought the inputting was annoying and not very clear. On the bright side, no secondary!

One more question.. at the part where it gives the affirmation statement "I understand that once I submit this application, I will be immediately prompted to pay the application fee with a credit or debit card. ... blah blah blah..." There is just a blank box next to it... do we just type our names as if we are filling out an E-signature? or like put in "i understand" or something? very vague sort of formats on this thing lol

One more question.. at the part where it gives the affirmation statement "I understand that once I submit this application, I will be immediately prompted to pay the application fee with a credit or debit card. ... blah blah blah..." There is just a blank box next to it... do we just type our names as if we are filling out an E-signature? or like put in "i understand" or something? very vague sort of formats on this thing lol

I think I just put "I understand." You could just do both and put I understand and then your name. It's pretty archaic formatting, but I'm not going to complain when a school bestows the gift of not writing essays.

In my secondary I just put my full name, but others put "Yes" or "I agree" and that was just as fine. Really I don't think anyone cares about this.

i'm also really confused about that number format....

Assuming you haven't already submitted, if you just put the area code in the first box, and the rest of the number in the second box, the system formats it just fine. I agree it looks a little off, but it seems to work out fine.

Assuming you haven't already submitted, if you just put the area code in the first box, and the rest of the number in the second box, the system formats it just fine. I agree it looks a little off, but it seems to work out fine.
yeah that's what I did. also the system doesn't check to see what you put for your number format anyways. could probably put a string of gibberish characters in there and it would take them. very old html modelling, but i'm not complaining since there were no major essays

yeah that's what I did. also the system doesn't check to see what you put for your number format anyways. could probably put a string of gibberish characters in there and it would take them. very old html modelling, but i'm not complaining since there were no major essays

Agreed. I had to make the text boxes bigger on my browser so I could actually see my responses.

Agreed. I had to make the text boxes bigger on my browser so I could actually see my responses.
I've gotten in the habit of just doing all of my essay typing on wordpad no matter how small the response and copy/paste. Can't tell you how many times I've sat down at a secondary and cranked out a great response only to accidentally click a wrong button, refresh the page, or just be damned by their poor programing. It's a wonder I haven't thrown my laptop out the window at some point.

II, today!! no email yet, but there was an update on the portal! f***king pumped!!

!!! Congrats! I'm still waiting on the "complete" email. This is so exciting :woot:

Just a heads up - I never got the complete email, but I called in because the portal said they had received all of my materials over a week prior. So they checked and told me that my file was actually complete!

I've gotten in the habit of just doing all of my essay typing on wordpad no matter how small the response and copy/paste. Can't tell you how many times I've sat down at a secondary and cranked out a great response only to accidentally click a wrong button, refresh the page, or just be damned by their poor programing. It's a wonder I haven't thrown my laptop out the window at some point.

Same here... but I enlarged them anyway just to check that the whole answer made it in. :hungover: