2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Financial Aid packages are up on My Upstate (well at least for me)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the post-II wait period was going to be 4-5 weeks, but it seems like you had to wait longer...
I did wait a bit longer than I was expecting. I think it was because of Spring break and the heavy snow they had a few weeks back. This is all extrapolated by the way. I simply don't know the reason

Just withdrew my acceptance! Hope one of you gets the position:happy:

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have an idea of how applicants are assessed post-interview? Do stats play a role post-interview?

I withdrew my acceptance here today, I hope one of you gets my seat and scholarship money!

Reactions: 3 users
^pleaaase and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
So Upstate starts pulling off HPA in mid-May? Anyone have a guesstimate of % of HPA students offered acceptance?

Reactions: 1 users
omg...my portal cleared too. so nervous now!!

Hello,
I just created a forum for students who are on the HPA and waitlist for Upstate. I would greatly appreciate if everyone who is on the HPA or waitlist would go there and fill out the poll so that we can get a better idea of how big the HPA/Waitlist.

Upstate 2016-2017 HPA and waitlist

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey Everyone,

Congrats to all the acceptances so far! I'm a medical student at Upstate and I remember how helpful these threads were when trying to figure things out. I haven't logged in for a while but if anyone has any questions at all about Upstate, I'll do my best to help you out. For those with multiple acceptances so far, I know for me, the in state tuition was a huge plus for me as it adds up over 4 years. I didn't know much about the school other than some basic stuff but I have to say, Upstate has been absolutely great to me and really the biggest and only real drawback is that it is in Syracuse. Regardless of that though, people are always going out and having fun so it really isn't that bad at all as I've actually have grown to like it here in Syracuse. The school is really great at helping out their students and are responsive to what our opinions are and always doing their best to help out with any problems. There is a lot of great things going on here! I'll try to keep up with this thread for any question that anyone may have. Best of luck to everyone.

I guess it wouldn't really matter, neuro is so busy as it is. In that sense, probably better to be 20 degrees to reduce the temptation to slack off on the studying.

Also for people asking about MedSet, I didn't do it but I know it gives you credits which allows for more time off in 4th year. Definitely a bonus that I don't believe a lot of people even knew about but time off is great to allow for more interviews and traveling when applying to residency.

the biggest and only real drawback is that it is in Syracuse.

Thanks for helping us out! Just wondering, what are some drawbacks of Syracuse? I'm planning on being in Syracuse for the next 7-8 years, so any insights before I make the move would be much appreciated!

Thanks for helping us out! Just wondering, what are some drawbacks of Syracuse? I'm planning on being in Syracuse for the next 7-8 years, so any insights before I make the move would be much appreciated!

Syracuse really isn't all that bad and I've actually have come to like it here. I do wish it was a little closer to home and that is wasn't one of the snowiest cities in the North East (we actually got very little snow this year however). It's really just more preferential in my opinion and some people seem to want warmer sunnier weather or a bigger city. It's not nearly as busy as say NYC but there is a lot more going on than I initially realized and it's actually pretty easy to go out into the rural country side and visit the finger lakes or vineyards or perhaps to go down town for a few drinks and a night out. There are also a lot of concerts on the lake and sports games in the area as Syracuse University has a pretty big presence here. Overall Syracuse is a lot better than I initially realized and the biggest complaint really is only the weather which isn't much worse off than the rest of the North East.

Last edited:
Syracuse really isn't all that bad and I've actually have come to like it here. I do wish it was a little closer to home and that is wasn't one of the snowiest cities in the North East (we actually got very little snow this year however). It's really just more preferential in my opinion and some people seem to want warmer sunnier weather or a bigger city. It's not nearly as busy as say NYC but there is a lot more going on than I initially realized and it's actually pretty easy to go out into the rural country side and visit the finger lakes or vineyards or perhaps to go down town for a few drinks and a night out. There are also a lot of concerts on the lake and sports games in the area as Syracuse University has a pretty big presence here. Overall Syracuse is a lot better than I initially realized and the biggest complaint really is only the weather which isn't much worse off than the rest of the North East.

Thanks for your insight! I was worried there was some major issue with the area haha but I'm somewhat used to getting several feet of snow. I'm pretty excited about the fun things to do in the area, though, and the current students did a great job of presenting the social scene to us during interview season.

Am I the only one that's sad that the excelsior scholarship doesn't count for graduate students:(:(:(

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! Congrats to those who have been accepted. For those who plan to attend, is anyone choosing not to live in Geneva?

Hey everyone! Congrats to those who have been accepted. For those who plan to attend, is anyone choosing not to live in Geneva?

I'm probably not going to live in Geneva. I've been looking into living off campus somewhere (ideally alone); I am however slightly worried about missing out on the potential social aspect of living in Geneva (but right now the benefits of living alone/off campus outweigh this for me)

I'm probably not going to live in Geneva. I've been looking into living off campus somewhere (ideally alone); I am however slightly worried about missing out on the potential social aspect of living in Geneva (but right now the benefits of living alone/off campus outweigh this for me)

Don't sweat the social thing -- there is plenty of opportunity to meet people and hang out after classes. I live off campus yet I still regularly swing by Geneva events on the weekends and many of us go to the bars downtown. Personally I don't think I really "missed out" on a social aspect of not living in Geneva, but I am also a non-trad older student, so pong with bud light isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Not an easy thing to do, but I'm really excited for one of you to get my spot! Best of luck everyone :)

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone happen to know the email we are supposed to send our withdrawals to? I still haven't received a response or a refund so I'm starting to wonder if maybe I didn't use the right email..

Did anyone here interview in early March and hear a response from upstate yet? It's approaching the 7 week mark since my interview on March 8th and my portal hasn't cleared yet.
Just to confirm, the only thing we had to send in post-interview was our campus preference right?

Did anyone here interview in early March and hear a response from upstate yet? It's approaching the 7 week mark since my interview on March 8th and my portal hasn't cleared yet.
Just to confirm, the only thing we had to send in post-interview was our campus preference right?

I interviewed 3/6 and I got my HPA decision 4/10 (portal cleared the Friday before?)
It seems I got my decision with the 2/20 interview group (from the thread), so maybe they just haven't gotten to you yet!
And yes I believe that was the only post-interview requirement.

I interviewed 3/6 and I got my HPA decision 4/10 (portal cleared the Friday before?)
It seems I got my decision with the 2/20 interview group (from the thread), so maybe they just haven't gotten to you yet!
And yes I believe that was the only post-interview requirement.
Yeah perhaps that's the case, Easter may have pushed things back a bit.
Thanks for the reply! I was getting the feeling that I might've missed something, but I guess waiting is the only option at this point.

Just withdrew my acceptance from Upstate. Good luck, HPA folks! I'm rooting for you!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know of any other places students tend live in besides Geneva and Jefferson Towers?