2016-2017 SUNY - Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who interviewed on 1/25 gotten a response yet? Our four week mark is tomorrow and nothing has cleared on my portal.... thinking I might have to wait a bit longer :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/25 gotten a response yet? Our four week mark is tomorrow and nothing has cleared on my portal.... thinking I might have to wait a bit longer :nailbiting:

I interviewed on 1/23 and my portal has not cleared yet

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else on HPA see a campus change and/or spots for transcripts on the portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news from people who interviewed on or around 1/23?

Nothing yet!!! Dying a little bit inside waiting to hear from them:xf::xf:

I interviewed on 2/1 and they implied we would hear back really quickly (like within 2 weeks). They said we should send in updates in the next few days because we were likely to be reviewed the following week. I guess they are further behind than the admissions person thought? Eagerly waiting.

Did anyone interview at both Upstate and Buffalo? Any thoughts on favorites between the two?

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed on 2/1 and they implied we would hear back really quickly (like within 2 weeks). They said we should send in updates in the next few days because we were likely to be reviewed the following week. I guess they are further behind than the admissions person thought? Eagerly waiting.

Did anyone interview at both Upstate and Buffalo? Any thoughts on favorites between the two?

Also interviewed 2/1, my guess is that this Friday we'll get our decisions :)

Hey guys, I have an interview scheduled for 3/8. Im OOS with a GPA 3.76, MCAT 507, and some research (only coauthor on one published study). Anyone want to give me advice or an honest opinion on my chances? Thanks. Good luck to anyone interviewing that day also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. For second look day, do you think people typically go alone or come with family? The email says to include the number of attendees.

Hey guys, I have an interview scheduled for 3/8. Im OOS with a GPA 3.76, MCAT 507, and some research (only coauthor on one published study). Anyone want to give me advice or an honest opinion on my chances? Thanks. Good luck to anyone interviewing that day also.
Great stats. Hopefully you have some health service/shadowing experience because it's always a plus. Look, no two applications are the same. What you have, many don't and you don't have what many others have. That's just life. If you have gotten as far as application and probably II, you have a very nice shot. Go in and try to ace your interview and hope for the best. Also develop and articulate the human, interesting side of you and demonstrate that you're in medicine for the right reason. Upstate's interview is pretty chill and the process is thorough. Every school likes a well-rounded student and many people with much shinier stats have been rejected too. C'est la vie. You've done great so far.

No one can really tell you your chance for sure. Good luck!

Congrats on the interview! Prepare like you would for any other interview, know information about the school, why you want to be a doctor, etc. Also do some MMI practice (there is a lot of stuff on YouTube) to get yourself more comfortable and feeling confident. Good luck!

Hi all. For second look day, do you think people typically go alone or come with family? The email says to include the number of attendees.

I'm going alone, I think most people probably will be, too. I'd say don't bring your parents, but a spouse would be fine if they're free and want to come.

Some people brought their parents, I personally thought that was strange. But I'm non-trad so what do I know.

I'm going alone, I think most people probably will be, too. I'd say don't bring your parents, but a spouse would be fine if they're free and want to come.

Some people brought their parents, I personally thought that was strange. But I'm non-trad so what do I know.

Thank you guys!!! I will definitely come alone lol

Any more news from people who interviewed on/around 1/23?

Just got an email saying I've been placed on the HPA list, but probably not staying in it. Interviewed 1/23, nontrad, LM 75. Good luck everyone!

Interviewed 2/1, portal cleared 3/8, decision today (3/9) @ 10pm via email: HPA . The email seemed optimistic about HPA movement!

Rejected. Pre-II

To be expected - interview season ended March 8th.

Please can any current student comment on how many weeks are MS2 given to study for step 1?

Beginning to pre-write secondaries... did most people answer the "What medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?" with just their answer, or did you explain why?

Beginning to pre-write secondaries... did most people answer the "What medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point?" with just their answer, or did you explain why?

I replied in essay format essentially. I would say about 2 paragraphs. Can't speak for others though

Recently was accepted after interviewing late January!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Second this. I spoke to a MS2 last week and he said 5-6 weeks

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist.

Quick question, is there a link online that you can use to withdraw or did you email/call? Also, do you know how they return the deposit?

Quick question, is there a link online that you can use to withdraw or did you email/call? Also, do you know how they return the deposit?

I emailed them and they returned my deposit a couple days after.

can someone please post or inbox me the link to the portal?

Just got an acceptance letter at 8pm from Dean Welch!
Stats:
In-State
MCAT:500
GPA: 3.62
Considerable research and ECs though.

Reactions: 3 users
Has any MS1/MS2 done the MEDSTEP summer program? Could you elaborate on how it is structured how demanding it is?

Has any MS1/MS2 done the MEDSTEP summer program? Could you elaborate on how it is structured how demanding it is?
I haven't personally done the medset program but it's four weeks before the actual start of MS1. It's an abbreviated amount of content that touches on many of the units we do in MS1. The amount of material is comparable to the normal units so you can get a kind of first taste of how much material they're going to throw at you at once. Everyone I've spoken to who did participate in medset said it was the best decision they made and what they learned in those four weeks really helped set a foundation for the material we learn later. If you're interested you should decide soon because the spots do fill up. The other great thing about it is that there's no additional cost.

Has anyone received info on the medset summer program yet?

Has anyone received info on the medset summer program yet?

I received an email about it on January 25th. Applications are due by April 22nd and notifications about acceptance into the program come May 6th.