2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted yesterday! Interviewed on the 13th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they sending out any more II?

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call on the 25th. accepted. I think if you have not heard back it might be their version of a waitlist? im not too sure. can anyone verify that?

If I recall correctly, they said that you are on the waitlist if you haven't heard anything back after 3 weeks, so they could still hear up until this Friday.

Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group for accepted students yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Got invited for an interview last week (1/26/17) with the only time slot available being this Friday (2/3/17). Needless to say, I am excited yet nervous for such little time to prepare! Does anyone have any information on the style of interviews and what sort of questions I may try to start thinking about? This is my first MMI style interview ever. Any information would be extremely appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey do you know what we make the deposit out to?

Not sure, doing all my paperwork right now and trying to figure out as well.

Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group for accepted students yet?

also curious about this!

Got invited for an interview last week (1/26/17) with the only time slot available being this Friday (2/3/17). Needless to say, I am excited yet nervous for such little time to prepare! Does anyone have any information on the style of interviews and what sort of questions I may try to start thinking about? This is my first MMI style interview ever. Any information would be extremely appreciated!

Can't disclose anything about the questions, but I read all the articles and cases here to study up on medical ethics: https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/ Most of the topics have a few cases, so I would read the first one (including discussion) and then practice doing the others and compare my answer to the discussion.

In terms of format, it was 6 different rooms. Each had a prompt that we had 3 minutes to read and think about (this was twice as long as another MMI I did, so not nearly as time crunched). Then 5 minutes to talk about the prompt in the room and 5 additional minutes for a more traditional, relaxed interview.

Can't disclose anything about the questions, but I read all the articles and cases here to study up on medical ethics: https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/ Most of the topics have a few cases, so I would read the first one (including discussion) and then practice doing the others and compare my answer to the discussion.

In terms of format, it was 6 different rooms. Each had a prompt that we had 3 minutes to read and think about (this was twice as long as another MMI I did, so not nearly as time crunched). Then 5 minutes to talk about the prompt in the room and 5 additional minutes for a more traditional, relaxed interview.

Awesome, thanks for the info M.Oizo. Were there any roleplaying instances in any of the stations? No worries if you don't want to disclose anything of that sort either!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of anything recently, II?

Has anyone heard of anything recently, II?

There are more interview days but the next one is over a month away. I would expect the number of IIs sent out to be low in the very near future then pick up again.

Hey guys,

Here's a link for a new Class of 2021 accepted students Facebook page. Send a picture of your acceptance letter or part of it to the admin and you'll be accepted to the group! It'll be nice to be able to coordinate living situations, discuss whatever, and get to know each other!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CNUCOM2021/

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Here's a link for a new Class of 2021 accepted students Facebook page. Send a picture of your acceptance letter or part of it to the admin and you'll be accepted to the group! It'll be nice to be able to coordinate living situations, discuss whatever, and get to know each other!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CNUSOM2021/
Friendly reminder to admin of the group that it's CNUCOM, not CNUSOM. Thanks :)

Reactions: 2 users
did you find out?
Sorry, I'm not hip with the acronym lingo. What is an ITA? If it's a pre-interview letter of sorts, I sent one my application year, and things worked out well for me. Feel free to message me.

Sorry, I'm not hip with the acronym lingo. What is an ITA? If it's a pre-interview letter of sorts, I sent one my application year, and things worked out well for me. Feel free to message me.

In The Area - but I always understood these to be post II, for example you will be in that particular area and would like them to move your interview date to the time you'll be in the area, not something before the II to convince them to give you one.

I REALLY want to get an interview here. I got verified on 8/10/16 and there has been radio silence since....that strongly suggests that I am on a waitlist :( Anyone getting any interview invites right now in February? It's pretty late in the application cycle so i am getting worried about my chances.

In The Area - but I always understood these to be post II, for example you will be in that particular area and would like them to move your interview date to the time you'll be in the area, not something before the II to convince them to give you one.

Ahhh, duh. Thank you. In that case, instead of an "ITA," I would send a letter of interest. But that's just me. I don't think CNUCOM doesn't accept ITAs necessarily, but I don't think it would be too much help if you're trying to snag an interview. Specifically stating your interest and why you're a good fit would go further, if that even does anything. I can't say anything with certainty, so take my comments with a grain of salt. The only people who truly know are the AdComm.

I REALLY want to get an interview here. I got verified on 8/10/16 and there has been radio silence since....that strongly suggests that I am on a waitlist :( Anyone getting any interview invites right now in February? It's pretty late in the application cycle so i am getting worried about my chances.

So you completed a secondary, but haven't had an II? If you really want an interview here, write an update letter with what you've been doing since August, and include why you're interested in the school. Sometimes you have to be pro-active. If it makes you feel better, I got my interview invite a year ago this week for an April interview, so it definitely happens!

I submitted in July and got an II in March last year. Good luck!

So you completed a secondary, but haven't had an II? If you really want an interview here, write an update letter with what you've been doing since August, and include why you're interested in the school. Sometimes you have to be pro-active. If it makes you feel better, I got my interview invite a year ago this week for an April interview, so it definitely happens!
I followed your advice and submitted a LOI today to this school. Thank you so much!!! FINGERS CROSSED :xf::xf:

I followed your advice and submitted a LOI today to this school. Thank you so much!!! FINGERS CROSSED :xf::xf:
Let us know how it goes! I've heard a lot of good results when it comes to sending CNU updates.

Does anyone know how many acceptances they've given out/ how many more they're going to give?

Does anyone know how many acceptances they've given out/ how many more they're going to give?
Nope. Nobody knows that except for AdCom. There are still several interview dates left, and they don't just do those for funsies, so there are still acceptances to be given out. Don't worry too much over the specific numbers- it's out of your control.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got a secondary link from this school. Forgot I even applied lmao is it even worth it at this point?

WTF a secondary invitation? A little late the the party....this is borderline offensive right now.

lol I also just got a secondary invite.

WTF a secondary invitation? A little late the the party....this is borderline offensive right now.
Me too... Is this real life..?

Edit: I called them to ask if there are any interview dates left. There was no one there, the voice message says to give 2 business day for a respond... but the secondary email says I have to complete the application in three calendar days.... Sigh

Last edited:
Just got one too after submitting my primary back in July lol. Is anyone going to do it?

Edit: I called them to ask if there are any interview dates left. There was no one there, the voice message says to give 2 business day for a respond... but the secondary email says I have to complete the application in three calendar days.... Sigh

They never ever ever ever ever answer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lmao this is so weird. Ive heard this school is kinda sketchy so they could just be trying to get some last minute funds before the cycles over..

Lmao this is so weird. Ive heard this school is kinda sketchy so they could just be trying to get some last minute funds before the cycles over..

They're a for PROFIT school, so I wouldn't put it past them...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are interview days left. Last year, I received an II in March for an April date. I was accepted.

They look at each application. If they were truly trying to get your $$, they'd send auto-secondaries to everyone. I guess its up to you if you think its worth it depending on your cycle success and interest in the school. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
There are interview days left. Last year, I received an II in March for an April date. I was accepted.

They look at each application. If they were truly trying to get your $$, they'd send auto-secondaries to everyone. I guess its up to you if you think its worth it depending on your cycle success and interest in the school. Good luck!

Yes, it's worth applying. It would be helpful to know the LizzyM scores for the people who have received the secondaries, if they are all in the higher range, then applicants have been screened. But it is true that Cal Northstate is a for-profit school and it's curious that being for-profit, they don't send out auto-secondaries.

Good luck everyone.

I was able to finally talk to someone in admissions after receiving a secondary today. She confirmed that they do interview through the end of April but i told her it's extremely unfair to applicants. to me, not worth the money. they really don't have many applicants so being "bogged down with apps" is not an excuse for a late secondary. my opinion, if they were interested, they would've sent it sooner. kind of offended as well

I was able to finally talk to someone in admissions after receiving a secondary today. She confirmed that they do interview through the end of April but i told her it's extremely unfair to applicants. to me, not worth the money. they really don't have many applicants so being "bogged down with apps" is not an excuse for a late secondary. my opinion, if they were interested, they would've sent it sooner. kind of offended as well

I don't speak for the adcom, but perhaps they send it out late to catch some applicants that are truly interested in matriculating as opposed to those that already have multiple acceptances at other MD schools? I mean if anything, this works in your favor because you already have 3 acceptances (congrats!) and probably don't have to shell out additional money for the secondary.

Also, I believe they told us they've had more than 5000 applications this year, which is not an insignificant amount. But I do understand your frustration.

Yes, it's worth applying. It would be helpful to know the LizzyM scores for the people who have received the secondaries, if they are all in the higher range, then applicants have been screened. But it is true that Cal Northstate is a for-profit school and it's curious that being for-profit, they don't send out auto-secondaries.

Good luck everyone.
I got the secondary today after applying back in June/July and I have a LizzyM of 75+.

I'm actually interested in completing the secondary because I haven't had any California interviews yet and I want to stay in state, but I am worried (from reading the other posts in here) that this might be a "cash grab."

Last edited:
This is just my two cents but I think if you don't have an acceptance yet you might as well try. As they say, you miss every shot you don't take. I received a secondary to this school back in July and I made sure to fill it out promptly and I haven't heard anything since, well except a confirmation that they received my update letter that I sent them a month ago. By now I've kind of given up on this school. But if you submit your secondary now they'd probably review it quickly since I imagine they have reviewed most of the secondaries by now which could result in a II over someone like me who has probably been looked over a few times already.